[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the worst generation so far and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12
File: 1466392210198.png (2 MB, 905x1280) Image search: [Google]
1466392210198.png
2 MB, 905x1280
What's the worst generation so far and why?
>>
[Your] favorite generation.
>>
>>27079077
7G because of the first bad designs, full 3D overworld and Smallest region.
>>
>>27079077
Gen 6 due to the shitty story, Gen 1 pandering, and lack of difficulty.
>>
When it comes to games XY, it was dull, empty and very easy. For anime it would be BW, Iris, shitty episodes, retarded Ash, not a single 6vs6 battle.
>>
>>27079077
subjectively, I think it was gen 4. It added so little to the table barring the physical/special split for moves, and the new mons introduced were just piggybacking on the old ones. It also put a cap on the legendaries, and is the first and biggest example of going to far with legendary and mythical Pokémon. It's not all bad, but it's the worst, in my opinion.
>>
Gen 2.

>half of Gym leaders with no new Johto mons
>half of Johto mons only avail post-game
>boring af region unable to stand on its own
>shitty level curve
>worst starters to date
>worst and most forgettable professor
>as a collective whole, shittiest designed Pokemon
>>
6th
Fairy type
>>
gen 4,since imo,it's hard af
>>
Gen 6 had the least amount of character in it, it felt like it was just a mishmash of the other regions, and it was disgustingly easy with a shitty champion.
>>
>>27079077
I have to give it to 2. While XY was bad, at least its playable, and ORAS is fun, if terribly disappointing.
I can't even play gen 2 anymore despite growing up with it and gen 1, its so horrible.
>>
>>27079154
That's a good thing though because now the games are so easy that I pretty much one shoted every one in XY and ORAS with little grinding.
>>
>>27079122
It's hard for me to hate Johto because it's the region that got me into Pokémon, but there was a shit selection of Johto mons and way too many one-off gimmick mons. I actually like the regions landscape and Goldenrod city is one of my favourite locations in the series though.
>>
>>27079077
Gen I because you only have two main objectives: Become the Indigo League Champion and Complete the Pokédex.

No rematches besides Elite Four and Champion; no facilities like Battle Tower, Subway, or Maison; once you complete that's it.
>>
>>27079362
Also no breeding means that you must rely on glitches for the creates another Eevee or Starter (but mainly for extra Eevee without trading)
>>
>>27079095
Every gen has been genwunner pandering:

>Gen 2 had Kanto: lite
>Gen 3 had Gen 1 remakes
>Gen 4 had kanto evolutions with Gen 2 remakes with more Kanto
>Gen 5 was literally Gen 1 mimicry
>Gen 6 gave us megas to make FE Gen 1 Pokemon even more whored out than they already were
>>
>>27079077
They all suck for their own reasons:

Gen 1
>shitty graphics
>meta is broken
>terrible type distribution
>postgame is just legendary hunting

Gen 2
>low level Pokemon everywhere
>a lot of new Johtomons are shit
>leaders and E4 hardly use Johtomons
>starters are fun but nothing special

Gen 3
>massive shift in Pokemon designs
>lack of Gen II mons
>incredibly hard to get a full dex
>overabundance of water routes

Gen 4
>disjointed region
>not much of a postgame
>too many legendaries that are locked behind hidden content
>a lot new Pokemon are shitty

Gen 5
>no older Pokemon in original releases
>even more disjointed region
>very linear region
>overemphasis on tryhard plot
>starters are straight up garbage
>locked content behind Dream World, Black City/White Tree, etc.

Gen 6
>short
>easy
>Gen 1 pandering
>Megas have replaced regular crossgen evos
>Greninja
>>
Gen 4 is the only Gen to make me give up on the franchise for 7 years. No other Gen has been so bad as to make me not play the next games. Which is a shame because when I finally got around to Gen V in 2013 it turned out to be my second favourite Gen.
>>
All 5 generations before had something going for them.
6 has nothing.
>>
>>27079602
Platinum is not that bad, Sinnoh is a good region, but the problem was D/P and "muh 150 Pokémon meme in the D/P Pokédex". Many of you complain about Routes 216 and 217 because of snow tiles, but that along with mud tiles were what made Sinnoh unique. (Routes 216 and 217 are my favorite routes of every Pokémon games because of the snowstorm)
>>
>>27079077
Gen 3, because it killed Pokemon to mainstream audiences.
>>
>>27079805
I'd agree. Previously, everyone was into pokemon. You could talk with anyone about Pokémon and it was everywhere, in commercials etc

By Gen 3 the pokemon craze died and the normies went on to other stuff and left were the few nerds still into pokemon
>>
>>27079792
I hate the region, I hate the characters, I hate the music, I hate the story, I hate 90% of the Gen 4 Pokemon. The only major redeeming element at all of DPP is the introduction of Wi-Fi internet battling/trading.

Gen 4 is only salvaged at all by the existence of HGSS where they remade the Gen 2 content on the Gen 4 mechanics/tech. The underlying mechanics and technology behind Gen 4 are fine but it's the content from the Region to the Pokemon that was just trash beyond redemption.

I cannot stand anything about Sinnoh, I hate it.
>>
Gen 3 was completely ass backwards after 2. It was also fucking boring. And still is in the remake.
>>
Gen III made me abandon Pokémon. I remember how I hated every design I saw. Not only the pokémon, but the protagonists, their clothes, the colors, I played it through once, back in the day, and I remember being depressed and disappointed when Grovyle evolved. So I finished the game, and only came back in gen V.
>>
>>27079805
Yep gen 3 completely destroyed the pokemon era of the 90s. Even in the anime they had the bad idea to remove misty, which every one cared for the whole time. All of the lame ass gen 3 shit ruined everything. Gen 6 was just as bad though, yet it got pokemon back again like we are in some sort of mini pokemon 90s era.
>>
Gen 3.
It was the first pokemon game to remove features from a previous generation. Story was meh as well.
>>
>>27080054
>Gen 6 was just as bad though, yet it got pokemon back again like we are in some sort of mini pokemon 90s era.

Yeah. Fans complain that Gen VI tries very hard to emulate the feeling of the first generation, but I think GF finally realized that they cannot let their product lose identity; that is why everybody's favorites are back
>>
>>27079077
all them sucks, they are just the best we have to play

what you are going to play? dragon warrior monsters?
>>
>>27080124
Agree 100%
>>
>>27079077
The worst generation was Generation 0, because it was the point where we didn't have any Pokemon or characters to bitch about like whiny little picky babies
>>
>>27079178
Really? I thought it'd be hard but I easily went back to playing Gens 2 and 3 after playing 5 and 6
>>
>>27079547
Decent post, but have to call bullshit on hardly post game. Battle Zone was fairly large

>>27080396
Why do you think you are special for having no strong feelings about anything? I feel like I'm watching South Park
>>
HOLY FUCK. Has anyone realized that Alola is just Hoenn 2?
>>
>>27080523
>Why do you think you are special for having no strong feelings about anything?
Do you feel like you have some kind of inferiority complex? Did I trigger it?

I genuinely don't think any generation is the 'worst'. I do feel that Gen I is my least favorite among all of the generations, but I can't say it's the worst one, since it has introduced us to Pokemon and the basic mechanics of the series, as well as so many other aspects.

The Pokemon designs for Gen I are a bit too simple and clearly a product of the technology of the time, but they're memorable.
>>
>>27080585
That's cool, but that doesn't mean people who do have stronger opinions and want to discuss them are just whiny babies. I don't actually think any singular gen is awful, though gen 3 is a bit men.

I don't even know what the first part of your comment was, I think you just came here with a type of comment you expected to get and are replying to the ones in your head than the ones in this thread.
>>
>>27080641
*Meh
>>
For their time: Gen 6
Now: Either Gen 1 or Gen 4
>>
>>27080523
Valid. I forgot Battle Zone even existed
>>
File: git gud.png (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
git gud.png
73 KB, 500x500
>>27079154
>thinking that's a bad thing
>>
>>27079077
Reminder that gen 6 is literally just a tech demo.
>>
>>27080396
This.

>>27080523
South Park is based in terms of bias/opinions
>>
File: Gen_3_Pokemon.jpg (365 KB, 900x650) Image search: [Google]
Gen_3_Pokemon.jpg
365 KB, 900x650
But... Gen 3 was my favorite.
P
Emerald is still my GOAT.
>>
>Gen 2 has BF
>Gen 3 has BF
>Gen 4 has BF
>Gen 5 has PWT

It's between 1 and 6, but I'll give it to 6 since 1 was the beginning.
>>
>>27079077
Gen 5, easily
Shitty designs, bland region and terrible graphics
>>
>>27081088
Or toward gen 6
Any scapegoat is okay for them to try and make people forget how shit gen 5 was
>>
>>27079547
Yep, this sums it up.
>>
>>27081372
>BF is the only reason I like pokemon
Don't kid yourself faggot
>>
File: Kalos_Route_1_XY.png (115 KB, 135x393) Image search: [Google]
Kalos_Route_1_XY.png
115 KB, 135x393
>>27079077
Gen 6.

>XY are the most handholdy, casual games in a franchise of already casual games
>linear region
>worst rivals in the franchise
>Gym Leaders never have more than 3 Pokémon, E4 don't have more than 4 Pokémon
>an invasive amount of Kanto pandering
>that scene where you go to the Lucario Town with the Lucario Gym Leader and go to the Lucario Statue and she battles you with her Lucario while you use Lucario and you have to Mega Evolve your Lucario into Mega Lucario to beat her Lucario and then she gives you a Lucario
>Lumiose City
>no third version to fix any of the problems with the game

>ORAS ignore ALL Emerald content
>more handholding
>cut content from RS
>rearranged music ranges from okay to bad, with only a handful of good tracks (this is of course subjective)
>Zinnia
>>
File: THIS.jpg (15 KB, 389x198) Image search: [Google]
THIS.jpg
15 KB, 389x198
>>27083233
>>
>>27081670
At least BW2 had a reasonable EXP system and doesn't hold your hand like XY does
>>
File: Let's not do this, Machocke.png (184 KB, 359x255) Image search: [Google]
Let's not do this, Machocke.png
184 KB, 359x255
>>27081670
>terrible graphics
>Caring about graphics
>>
>>27083233
Fucking Lucario
>>
Either gen 1 or gen 6.
Gen 1:
>worst designs
>aged badly
>nothing to do post-game
>simple in comparison to other gens
Gen 6:
>bad story, feels like a chore
>extremely little amount of new mons
>nothing to do post-game
If it were FRLG vs. XY, FRLG would definitely be better for me. But can't really decide between XY and the originals. Well, gen 6 at least had some cool things like player customization and Wonder Trade.
>>
Gen 6 desu
Its just boring
>>
>>27079077

The only Gen I've disliked is 3, mostly because it felt like a chore getting anywhere.

All the rest are awesome.
>>
Gen V was the least fun, even though the base game was ok, making it great for mods or randomizer.
Gen VI has almost no replayability and the game was a breeze.

Gen III I didn't really enjoy the art style, but that's more personal
>>
>>27084826
Gen 1 technically has more to do than Gen 6 because of Stadium, which was pretty much made as a proto-Frontier. Stadium 2 even adds a proto-Battle Factory mode.
>>
>>27079098
/Thread
>>
>>27083233
>Lucario section

Hilarious. Also agreed on the ORAS music, I liked a few tracks but it didn't blow me away. It actually made Hoenn have my least fav battle music.
>>
>>27085747
Don't you mean the ones who wanted Bernie?
>>
>>27085827
no
>>
Gen 6 is the worst. Honestly it feels incomplete and even if you enjoy X/Y its been confirmed that ORAS was rushed.

Gen 3 is second, but by quite a bit.
>>
I never played Gen3.

Should I do Emerald or ORAS? I already caught them all, so it'd mostly just be fore funsies
>>
>>27081670
/thread
>>
>>27087784
Emerald, definitely.
>>
Gen 3 for me

>Poochyena/Wingull/Zigzagoon/tentacool are everywhere on the map, with massive encounter rates upwards of 30%
>loads of pokemon are stuck with a 1/2/5% encounter rate, in one small patch of grass
>many of the pokemon are given awful BST's, or stats that don't compliment their typing well
>wingull is on 80% of the map
>hardest games to finish the dex in, needing 4 or 5 games to do it with
>worst elite four and champion, if you consider Wallace the real champion
>very poor pokemon variety in the routes
>sharpedo is all but mandatory in the remakes due to it learning a lot of hm's and doubled surf speed
>some of the most forgettable gym leaders, only Tate & Liza were memorable
>worst music this side of G/S/C Dragon's Den
>>
>>27087784
play emerald.
>>
>>27079077
Gen 4 .
>worst pokemon designs
Leafeon being the 1 and only exception
>worst starters
>worst and slowest region caked testicles deep with HM necessity routes and areas.
>ugliest legendarys, Arceus? Deoxys? Literally giant hipped noodles from outerspace.
>lucario happened and an Autism Epidemic Exploded onto the inhabitants of the globe.
>worst of all we have genfourers running rampant on threads like this still to this day.
>>
>>27083233
>>that scene where you go to the Lucario Town with the Lucario Gym Leader and go to the Lucario Statue and she battles you with her Lucario while you use Lucario and you have to Mega Evolve your Lucario into Mega Lucario to beat her Lucario and then she gives you a Lucario
DON'T FORGET YOU'RE COMPLIMENTARY LUCARIO! NOW YOU MAY MOVE ON STUPID KID.
>>
>>27089491
Deoxys is gen III you retard, and you're the first person I've seen who's said it's bad. Arceus is great too tbqh.
>>
>>27089491
>>worst pokemon designs
>Leafeon being the 1 and only exception
isn't leafeon just a copy paste from the usual vap/jolt/flareons but green? how is that good design?
>>
File: masuda (2).png (236 KB, 336x418) Image search: [Google]
masuda (2).png
236 KB, 336x418
>>27079077
>>
File: 1459622822351.gif (278 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1459622822351.gif
278 KB, 450x450
>>27079077
gen 1
>>
>>27081372
>implying gen 2 had a BF
>implying gen 4's version wasn't a hot mess everyone hated because it wasn't the BF
>>
>>27079077
gen 1
because genwunners wont shut the fuck up.
>Inb4 "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A GENWUNNER IS" i fucking do, and i want them to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>27079077
Gen 4.

Most of the mons designs had simplified body/structures and had Stripes and spikes strapped all over it. Too many Cross-gen Evos, and the original lines most of them had shitty and forgettable gimmicks

Game-Wise, DP not only feels slow, but its pacing its really bad making you use tons of HMs and making you stuck in bog/snow. Also, tons of caves and shit mon selections. (Platinum solved most of this stuff, though)
>>
Gen 6(XY)

Many mistakes not related to the quality of life/new features added were made...
>>
File: 059white.png (68 KB, 239x237) Image search: [Google]
059white.png
68 KB, 239x237
>>27083233
>>that scene where you go to the Lucario Town with the Lucario Gym Leader and go to the Lucario Statue and she battles you with her Lucario while you use Lucario and you have to Mega Evolve your Lucario into Mega Lucario to beat her Lucario and then she gives you a Lucario
>>
File: Xzibit.png (302 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Xzibit.png
302 KB, 630x420
>>27083233
>that scene where you go to the Lucario Town with the Lucario Gym Leader and go to the Lucario Statue and she battles you with her Lucario while you use Lucario and you have to Mega Evolve your Lucario into Mega Lucario to beat her Lucario and then she gives you a Lucario
>>
Gen 4 or 6. I'd probably go with 4 since the games were really bad and they started the Mecha-Legendary trend which I absolutely hate.
>>
File: 1468015386765.gif (491 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1468015386765.gif
491 KB, 460x345
>>27083233
>>
>>27083233
I'd never hated Lucario more until this point
>>
>>27079154>>27079184
>>27080966

I beat it in a month when I was 12, lol. Also, Mt. HMnet is gay as hell.
>>
Gen 4. I actually very much like a lot of elements of it, but it loses out for having gameplay that is so much slower than the generation both before and after it. It's a shame Gold and Silver were remade in this generation because I just can't be bothered to play them again. The battle speed is nauseating.
>>
>>27079547
I'd nitpick a few opinion things, e.g.,
>gen 2 Johto shitmons I love those dorky pokemon. Dunsparce, Misdreveaus, Sudowoodo and all
>gen 3 massive shift in Pokemon designs
Gen 3's double battling and abilities I think were a great addition to the series
But yeah. This anon has it down
>>
>>27083233
My lucario came with spooge already on it...
>>
File: 1464724154459.png (117 KB, 238x351) Image search: [Google]
1464724154459.png
117 KB, 238x351
>>27083233
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.