[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GEN ONE STILL HOLDS UP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
I'M A GENWUNNER AND I'M PROUD
>>
>>27042665
lmao great post
>>
Its designs do. Its games don't.

I'm a huge Charizardfag and Mewtwofag and still find Pokémon Red to be very dull compared to ORAS.
>>
>Full of bugs
>Awful sprites
>FrLg are direct upgrades
>Blinded by nostalgia

replying while taking a shit/10
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>27042665
>>
File: 68847485959.png (305 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
68847485959.png
305 KB, 720x576
I FUCKING LOVE HYPNO! AND LICKITUNG! AND SEADRA!
>>
>tfw Seaking is an eternal shitmon
>>
>b-b-but these obscure bugs that 99% of people playing normally won't notice!

I agree OP.
>>
File: this.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>27042892
literally every point i was gonna make
>>
original 151 designs: 10/10
original game play: 6/10 (comparitively to the other games)

those first games were pretty boring comparitively with their lack of things like eggs and the somewhat annoying difficulty of having no moves like false swipe
>>
>>27042665
These threads never fail to make me realize how fucking stupid most people on this board are. OF FUCKING COURSE gen one still holds up, and me saying it has nothing to do with nostalgia, I take pride in trying to enjoy every single game in the franchise equally.
Pokemon RBY were groundbreaking games for the time they came out. It was the most popular (as well as one of the most critically acclaimed) turn-based RPGs of its time and laid out the foundation for a whole fucking series of games that are, in the end, just mere copies of the basic principle that was behind the first generation.
You name it, RBY had it :
>Original storyline
>Well thought out combat system (again, let me remind you this was 1996)
>Over a hundred playable creatures with stats, attacks and typings
>RNG capture rates, depending on a multitude of factors

So yes, RBY still hold up in the sense that they're great games for everyone to get into retrogaming and learn a few things about a franchise that has shaped the whole modern video-game experience

Seriously, if you think that RBY are trash games, just get the fuck out of this board, we don't need your uneducated take on the situation.
>>
>>27043576
Even for 1996 they weren't great combat systems. They were buggy as fuck, and poorly balanced. Need I remind you that the original SMT outperformed Pokemon in nearly every category, despite being a decade older? Or that just a year later, the juggernaut that was Final Fantasy Seven came out? Pokemon isn't a great RPG now, and it wasn't then, even within its own safe space niche of "mon" series.

Over a hundred playable creatures: Of those over a hundred, once you factored in evolution, that number looks a lot closer to around 60ish. Once you factor in the ones that are shit, that looks a lot more like 30, which is on-par with other rpgs with generic characters available, and not even close to other "mon" series at the time.

Rng capture rates: I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that implementing a modifiable rng for a mechanic is praiseworthy? The only reason I'm confused is that this is a basic feature of almost any game, ever. Maybe I missed your intent, but whatever.

Pokemon's only claims to fame were being a passable game on handheld consoles, since most everything else was a port with the piss taken out of it, or straight-up garbage. The other claim is being an autistic deathtrap, being designed from the inside out by one.
>>
>>27043576
They were good for the time, but are very slow, clunky and unaccommodating compared to modern games. The ONLY reason why I'd rather play RBY over the Unova games is because of the Pokédex.
>>
>>27043824
Final Fantasy 7 had nothing on RBY.
>>
>>27043278
>10/10
>>
>>27043845
Holy mother of bait
>>
>>27043849
literally my mom's eggs
>>
>>27043896
It's not bait. FF7 is overrated as fuck.
>>
File: 1444589464895.jpg (594 KB, 972x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444589464895.jpg
594 KB, 972x1000
>>27042665
I wholeheartedly agree.
>>
>>27043845
And remember that time that nobody ever agreed that Pokemon was the best game of all time, even if only for a little bit?
>>
>>27043059
yeah, strange they've done nothing to buff it except Lightningrod
>>
>>27043278
>original designs 10/10
>10/10
Grimer, Muk, Dugtrio, Magenton, Pidgey, Rattata, I can go on and on.
>>
>>27042665
Genwunner here too. Was 12 when red and blue came out. Got my ass kicked everyday at school for it so it could be socially acceptable for you youngfags, your welcome btw.
Also genwun has nostalgia but as far as the best all around pokemon game, it's Black/White.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.