[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so, so right? I didn't think they could top Explorers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 605543.jpg (456 KB, 1500x1338) Image search: [Google]
605543.jpg
456 KB, 1500x1338
What went so, so right?
I didn't think they could top Explorers of Sky, but they did.
>>
>>27034839
But Anon, they didn't. They basically remastered RT's plot and added a 2deep4u tryhard plot twist at the end.
>>
I didn't even finish the main story. Got it the month it came out too.
For some reason, every time I try to play I drop it.
Also, they nerfed neutral attacks into near nonexistance and this is unforgivable to the highest degree of critic law
>>
>>27034839
They didn't. Sky is still the best, SMD can have the second place
>>
Gates to Infinity was more enjoyable.
At least to me.
>>
>>27034839
The story was pretty boring compared to Sky.
>>
Mystery dungeon blue is still the best
>>
>>27036185
explorers of darkness is better
>>
Something clicked for me with Super that didn't happen with any of the previous games. Sucks to be in the minority I guess, but I enjoyed Super way more than Rescue Team or Explorers.
>>
How the fuck am I supposed to win this game? It's hard as fuck, so what do
>>
>>27036318
Are you using wands? Use them if you get stuck.
>>
Literally the hardest mystery dungeon game I have ever played and I have played all of them since red rescue team's release.
>>
>>27036385
I use them up before i get to the bosses, which is annoying af
>>
File: 1432220219455.png (64 KB, 331x320) Image search: [Google]
1432220219455.png
64 KB, 331x320
>>27034839
>first half of the game ignores the main conflict and can drag on for people expecting, you know, the main conflict
>pretty much everyone developed in the first half of the story disappears for the rest of it
>second half of the story introduces multiple continents and extra missions, then proceeds to prevent you from fully exploring them by forcing you along the story to a rushed conclusion
>villains were actually just being controlled by a Bittercold rehash and didn't do nothing
>ending twist is fucking retarded on multiple levels
>three-dungeon postgame story
Nah.

Best gameplay in the series though, I'll give it that.
>>
>>27036400
Status don't work on bosses anyway, they just shrug them off when their turn comes around.

If the bosses are giving you trouble try Blast Seeds.
>>
File: ruse cruise.png (55 KB, 467x371) Image search: [Google]
ruse cruise.png
55 KB, 467x371
>>27036432
>first half of the game ignores the main conflict, filler makes multiple conflicts seem like the "main" one
>intro introduces a seemingly important item that doesn't get mentioned again until more than halfway through the game
>guild members outside of Chatot don't get developed before special episodes which weren't in the original release, they're all just there to believe in the main characters
>second half of the story is just above in full swing, everyone accepts Grovyle immediately because "the main characters do" and everything goes perfectly
>villain is (once again) just a legendary who dindu nuffin
>REAL villain doesn't show up until post-game ("it was me all along!") and doesn't get punished for his actions
>boring slog of a post-game with a "twist" that spoils itself hours before it happens and an unsatisfying conclusion
>Shaymin Village was the only good part of Explorers' post-game, and it wasn't even in the original release

Why do we like Explorers again? This is an exaggeration but I actually didn't like Explorers' story that much and the special episodes were way better. Freely call my taste shit. But at least it was better than Rescue Team.
>>
>>27034839
This game was kinda shit.

The graphics were great, I'll give you that, but the storyline was twee nonsense, the game difficulty was massively inconsistent, and the gameplay somehow managed to get worse not better since Explorers of the Sky.
>>
>>27036461
Not if you use a Quarter Wand on it, can't shrug off 75% of your HP as damage.
>>
>>27037404
I've tried a Quarter Wand on Mewtwo in the post-game and it didn't work, does it work on story bosses?
>>
>>27034839
>the pacing in the second half of the game is rushed as shit
>Miss and miss the gameplay
>the hunger system in super punish you a lot compared to Explorers
>Making the default move useless

Explorers its still superior
>>
>>27036318
>>27036398
>>27036996
>>27037591
git gud casual shits
>>
File: 1465084099577.jpg (558 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465084099577.jpg
558 KB, 1920x1080
>>27034839
Its a phenomenal game, but I don't think its as good as Sky. If Sky was a 9.5/10, Super is a 9/10. Still great, but it has some issues and minor things that irk me in the beginning also this:
>>27036132

But fuck, I've been hooked. At rank Hyper at level 51 with 561/720 of species connected with. Just finished the Path of Fallen leaves last night and got my Well-Fed looplet.
>>
>>27037494
I recall using one on Yveltal and having it not work so I'd assume they don't, unless maybe they work on non-legendaries.
They do however work on the legendaries that you can randomly find 'Pumped up' that run away after in dungeons like the Genies and Heatran.
>>
>>27037678
I didn't really think PSMD main story was that hard, it's just that instead of one-shotting everything you could beat everything from a range and could constantly have useful items. I haven't done much of the post game yet.
>>
>>27034839
The games desperately needed some new mechanics regarding dungeons to make the gameplay more varied and not boring af, sadly this didn't happen and that's why SMD is disappointing
>>
>>27037678
Casual? PSMD was easy as balls dude
>>
File: sacred ruins.png (65 KB, 1320x696) Image search: [Google]
sacred ruins.png
65 KB, 1320x696
>>27040124
People complain all the time that it's too difficult. It's kinda funny, but it is at the very least more difficult that its predecessors.
>>
Gates to Infinity has the better characters.
Explorers of Sky has better dungeons and better scenarios.
Super has some things going for it, but its not enough without these.
Also
>not nearly enough boss icons and fights
>>
>>27040207
I think the difficulty level was just poorly controlled. Depending on your starters, which you got locked into using constantly, you'd have a very different experience.

Doesn't help that for all the main story missions you can't even switch the order of your team. So your short-range fighter might be stuck doing nothing, and your squishy long-range damage dealer is leading the party.

The game also throws level 50 pokemon at you at damn near the very start of the game - sure, they're unable to be used for a bit once you take them out, but you collect so many of the damn things that you can just roflstomp your way in there with them if you wanted to.

And the final nail in the coffin of the levels being whack: you end the game usually having barely gone up eight levels during the course of it. At level 23 or so.

I just get the impression that they wanted to do so much more with the game and ran out of time.
>>
>>27041070
I finished Rescue Team at level 25 so I didn't see anything wrong with my final level in Super being 23. Explorers and Gates, on the other hand, I finished in the 40s, so I see it as a per-game basis thing. Starter balancing is something all the games have trouble with unfortunately, and I'm afraid if the roster keeps getting bigger the problem is gonna get worse. Connection Orb could have been better, as well. Difficulty was not well represented most of the time, which lead to getting Salamence so early.

It's a step in the right direction, in my opinion. The past games were a snoozefest most of the time in terms of difficulty. I like feeling danger in the dungeons instead of only during boss fights.
>>
Post game is hard as fuck
>>
>>27041329
git gud
>>
>>27034839
Ive been playing for 2 hours and it seems kinda repetetive and less engaging than the earlier games.
By now I would be doing some sort of quest on my own, but why the fuck am i going to school
Please tell me this game gets way better
>>
>>27043699
You're going to school because you were mistaken for a child, was that a rhetorical question?

Anyway, the game railroads you for most of the story and only lets you take a few breaks, which the story controls the duration of. You only get true freedom once the story ends.
>>
>>27034839
It's a gen 6 game.
>>
>>27034839
They took the training wheels off and made it closer to a proper roguelike is what went right.
>>
>>27043870
I asked why am i going to school bc it dosent feel fun knowing im going to school in a game where for the last three titles im doing something more fun in the first three hours of the game
Its alright so far, but it seems kinda lame how the games starts out like, I guess i should hold out more though, considering how this seems like Twilight Princess of the Mystery dungeon series
>>
>>27044119
>Took the training wheels off
>Game literally takes you to school for the first 2 hours
>>
They streamlined it. Too much.
>>
>>27044171
The first part is light-hearted and comfy (Serene Village's music is my favorite in the series), and I really enjoyed it because of that. I guess it just takes a certain kind of person. I'll accept that my opinion is bad since only like 5 people agree with me.

>>27044251
What do you mean?
>>
>>27034839
I actually liked this less than PMD: BRT and PMD: EoS. The overall move nerf, the even more annoying partner, and the shitty characters only exacerbated everything.
>>
>>27043870
>true freedom once the story ends
Seriously? I just got to summer and I'm already feeling like the game sucks. I loved Explorers of Time and Blue Rescue Team. Super just feels terrible compared to both of them.
>>
>>27034839
the pacing was better in sky also Marowak dojo > Pelipper Island to farm items
>>
>>27044269
I can understand the comfiness of Serene Village.
It feels alot more wholesome than Explorers of Sky's Town
>>
>>27044528
Speaking of the town itself, I really like how Super's towns are laid out in comparison to the old games. All facilities in Super are right near each other and don't require any loading screens beyond entering the town and I really appreciate that. Hopefully that keeps up.
>>
>>27044356
I mean, it stops mid-story grinding which I think is a plus. Rescue Team is the only game they balanced around the ability to infinitely grind. Explorers and Gates were piss easy even without grinding. Super might be easy, but it's easy because of proper item usage and not just being overpowered. It's really the lesser of two evils but that's just my opinion.
>>
>the A attack is worthless
May as well time your A+B press.
>>
>>27034839
SMD is good but it's not as good as sky.

>break system
>no randomly generated missions, once you do them all, you've done them all
>final third or so of the game is dungeon after dungeon, without a break
>level 5 dungeons are unbalanced
>normal attack always deals 5 damage, or less in Sacred Ruins at times
>region locked rescues
>emeras can't be saved for another dungeon/bought before going into one

All that being said, Chunsoft seems to be able to learn from their mistakes, given this was a huge improvement over Gates. SMD feels like they were rushed to get the game out before the SM announcement, as it released in europe mere weeks before the worldwide announcement, if not less. Given more time, i think they could top Sky.
>>
>>27040207
i wrote that.

At least in Zero Isle South in Sky, you weren't bombarded by fully evolved pokemon very early on that also had the ability to fuck your ass even if you quad resisted. Plus, it felt more fair because you weren't so reliant on Emeras there. And finally, ZIS actually has a reward, Sacred Ruins is just bragging rights.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.