[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anime question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
My girlfriend and I are considering watching the entirety of the pokemon anime together. Does anyone recommend this? Or will it be unbearable? I haven't seriously watched the anime since I was a kid(during the indigo plateu series) besides the occasional movie. Is it worth watching?
>>
>>27028514
Dont do it. Its a kids show and i honestly dont understand why anyone on this board watches it. Seriously, im not saying this as bait, its legitimately a kids show and i promise you the nostalgia is messing with your head.
>>
Doing the same and so far its funnier than i remembered. Reccomend
>>
>>27029653

This, also it's really a KIDS show, like for kids under 10 years old, it's not even in the same league as "shounen" shows that at least are tolerable if you're an adult and that's your thing
>>
>>27028514
My wife and I were thinking the same thing, desu. But I don't know where the fuck we would ever watch them--Netflix only has the first season of Indigo League.
>>
Skip the jhoto and unova arcs. Those are the bad ones.
>>
>>27029706
Torrent them on your computer/laptop. Way better quality
>>
>>27029706

I'm sure some "illegal" streaming websites host the dub of all seasons, also I bet you can torrent those seasons too somewhere if you don't like streaming
>>
>>27028514
Character development is a meme skip all the fillers which is basically anything:
that doesnt introduce an arc character/pokemon
not a gym battle

Its honestly amazing how much of Kanto was filler.
>>
Watch Pokemon The Origin with your gf, it's only 4 episodes and it's based on the games
>>
>>27029775
This
>>
>>27029653
this
>>
>>27029653
Don't watch a kids show...... The kids game it's all right!!!.
>>
>>27029775
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
No, really.....
>>
>>27028514
Don't listen to the meme hate, OP.

I will tell you this however, I watched the entirety of the anime just because I'm a big Pokémon fan. Pokémon is pretty much the only video game franchise I play nowadays because I'm too busy with work and school to do other things.

I always liked seeing the game characters in the anime. The anime is very predictable, there are some childish moments (as this is a children's game), some cringy moments. There are good qualities about the anime but those qualities really depend on you whether you think they're good or not. If you're a big enough Pokémon fan, then I'd say watch all of it. If you're looking for something deep or very emotional, then I wouldn't recommend you this series. There are SOME moments in the movies and series where it does get emotional but the series itself is not very dramatic.
>>
>Indigo: Great.
>Orange Islands: Meh
>Johto: good highlights, but drags on, and on, and on.
>Hoenn: Pretty good, IMO.
>Battle Fronteir: Great if you have watched lots of what was before it. Meh if you are just watching it.
Sinnoh: Above average.
Unova: Has an arc or two that are good, and Krookadile is based, but not great otherwise.
Kalos: Skip ahead to an episode or two with Bonnie. If you like her, then watch the season. Kalos is otherwise kinda bleh, unless you ship Ash and Serena.
Origins: Watch it. It's like, 2 hours of your life, and it is probably the best thing here.

Overall, I'd watch origins and the originals, and see if it makes your dreams come true. If after the first 20 or so episodes you can't get enough, by all means continue. But if after a few, you start realizing it is stupid, then jump to the episode or two that was your favorite, watch it, and wash your hands of it. Pokemon isn't a great show, unless you can completely ride through it on nostalgia, or find great amusement in the little things. Otherwise its long, repetitive, has no significant direction, and the voice quality for the dub tanked after the turnover in mid-Hoenn. Some of the clips would be meme-worthy, if more didn't come out regularly.
>>
>>27029775
This
>>
>>27028514
I imagine it'd be fun to watch it if you have kids of your own, but the only way I imagine it'd be fun to watch it with your partner is if you both already like Pokemon anyway or you both want to laugh at silly things in a kid's show. Otherwise I don't know why you would watch Pokemon together over some other show.
>>
>>27029724
Skip Kanto, those are incredibly childish.
>>
A lot of childrens anime is pretty enjoyable even in it's entirety. Problem is, Pokemon has been around cycles longer than most others, and as a result there have been a lot of rough patches and fluctuations in quality when it comes to animation and writing.
It's one thing to take on this endeavor yourself, op. But with another person, you're going to have two people testing their patience at once.
>>
>>27028514
I just watched the whole thing with my 9 and 5 YO kids.

I really like it, even more than I remember. The only thing that bothers is how repetitive is team rocket related plot, but over all is nice.
>>
>>27028514
The first few seasons are good, but after the 3rd movie and Goldenrod City you start seeing a dip in the quality of the episodes, due to last minute rewrites to take Celebi out of the series. Before this there were a lot of episodes where Ash and co would meet someone and Team Rocket would show up before blasting off, and the day being saved, but the setting of each episode was unique, the writing was good, and generally filler did not drag on. Mid to late Johto is a chore to sit through because each episode is Ash stumbling upon the pokemon of the week and the character of the week with a problem and before anything can be done, Team Rocket appears, a generic battle happens, they're thwarted, and Ash and co fuck off to the next stop. It's almost always town settings and trainers, and you just give up caring. 4kids certainly did when there was around a 5 episode stretch where the main female CotW for each episode was voiced by the same person with the same delivery. Later Johto around the time Larvitar appears picks up a bit, and the league is decent (Fuck Harrison), but when you get to Hoenn you'll appreciate the freshness, especially once it grows into its own series. Late Hoenn and Battle Frontier are fucking hype as hell, Sinnoh's good with a lot of miniarcs to break up the filler, but some arcs are boring and overall Sinnoh is looooong. I wish they did a battle frontier season in Sinnoh aswell.

Unova starts strong but doesn't really go anywhere, likely because the 2011 earthquake fucked up plans for a Team Rocket vs. Plasma plot set up so instead each team got recycled into smaller plots and a lot of filler got introduced. Zekrom becomes utterly pointless.

Kalos is pretty good, just ignore the waifu wars and other faggotry the fans are having over it currently.
>>
>>27029772
Slice of life+Monster of the week =/= filler

It's a kid show so there is a lot of standalone episodes
>>
Watch until the end of the orange islands.
It's downhill from there.
>>
>>27032863
You really cant make that comparison and you know it
>>
>>27028514
>watching over 900 episodes
don't
>>
The anime is shit.
>>
I'm using the bulbapedia numbers for convenience
>first 5 episodes
Pretty classic but still finding its feet
>6-14
Gets into a comfortable groove
>15-32
If by this point you are bored, I'd suggest stopping. Nostalgia will probably keep you going.
>33-57
Heres the point where the show starts to take its time and just have fun. If you don't like it, then just stick with something like origins. It's not bad, it's actually pretty comfy shit, but it doesn't take itself too seriously.
>57-80
Depending on what you want from the show, you'll either throw your hands and the air and say fuck it, or enjoy the ride.
>orange islands
In my opinion it's just as good as Indigo League but more condensed. The battle with Drake was something else.
>johto journeys
When I was watching this I tried giving it benefit of the doubt, but it really is as simple as the difference between episodes 116 and 117 that the quality makes a huge dive.
>johto league champions
If you survived journeys, congratulations, more of the same shit
>master quest
The writing is still lacking the charm of indigo and orange islands, but it at least tries to do less filler and have some interest episodes rather than the usual formulaic crap.
>>
>>27028514
Why not watch all the movies, specials, and Pikachu shorts instead? Far easier.
>>
>>27029653
Pretty much this
>>
Why would you try to watch EVERY episode? NO ONE is going to recommend that. NO ONE.
>>
The only season I would say "just watch the Gym Battles" in is season four because HOLIEST FUCK does it drag. As someone in this thread pointed out, it's probably because they rewrote huge swathes of it to remove Celebi so episodes that could have been fun are dogturd.

Thankfully, they learned their lesson, season 5 has some cool arcs and Hoenn is fucking awesome. The introduction of Contests and, thus, Ash's female companion having a goal as well makes things so much more tolerable. Team Rocket are also improved for having Contest episodes because while they still stay out of the way in Gym Battle episodes, they spend much of Johto complaining about being poor and/or hungry and having giant mech battles.
>>
>>27034769
I agree with this guy
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.