[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 47
File: Surfing2.webm (1 MB, 1152x480) Image search: [Google]
Surfing2.webm
1 MB, 1152x480
Notable ROM hacks: pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX (embed)
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP (embed)

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
http://imgur.com/a/CiudS (WIP Gen 5 tiles)

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/ (better for ROM hacks)
http://reliccastle.com/forums/ (better foir Essentials games)

TotT: Original "Box" legendaries in fangames? How do you personally handle them?
>>
First for Hex Maniac.
>>
>>26996970
>(embed)

Anyway, I'm compiling RPGXP tileset based on Pokemon Dawn tiles, which personally I find absolutely beautiful. And before someone says those tiles aren't public, on DA they gave people a green light to do pretty much whatever the fuck they want with them.
>>
>>26997075
Link to Dawn?
>>
>>26997237
>>26997075
I'm guessing he's referring to pic related, by the-red-ex
>>
File: alphagrad.png (1 KB, 60x54) Image search: [Google]
alphagrad.png
1 KB, 60x54
>>26996970
I like how you can surf on the pokemon, but that transition between the "underwater" and "out of the water" part of the sprite really annoys me. Do you think you can add a transparence gradient to the sprite like pic related
>>
>>26997833
I'm still working on it.
Right now I'm using the bush gradient, and an algorithm based on sprite size to determine what's underwater.
I'm adding additional checks to tell whether the head is above water or if the player rides directly on top as well.
I out this together yesterday, so it's still pretty rough.
>>
how on earth do i map when using the crystal disassembly?
>>
>>26998531
Use crowdmap.

https://github.com/yenatch/crowdmap
>>
>>26998637

well that was fast, thank you anon
>>
So, I'm not sure this goes in hacking general, but whatever.
Does any of you know if is there a tool or a script to export, and correctly re-import, textures from x/y? Just to replace the texture.
>>
File: 1.png (740 KB, 1525x1906) Image search: [Google]
1.png
740 KB, 1525x1906
>you will never see your essentials game running in android
>>
>>26999415
Actually, there are a few Rmxp emulators for Android, but they don't support Essentials at this time
>>
>>26996970
Hey, so this isn't an essentials question, but does anyone know if there's a B2W2 hack that allows Pokemon to follow you? I know it was written into the game's code or whatever but I haven't been able to find something that works. Anything that works as a patch and can be used on a flashcart? Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>>26999868
I'm not sure if this has ever bee elaborated on past videos like this one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a61IY-bnGx8

Your best bet is to have an NPC programmed to follow the trainer on every relevant map.
>>
>>26999306
I've seen texture hacks in Gen VI, but I don't think anyone here is familiar with Gen VI hacking; you should check projectpokemon.org since it seems to be the only place actively researching that type of thing in Gen VI. If they don't know, nobody does.
>>
How do you use music from other Pokemon games? Will Gen IV and V music sound alright in a GBA hack?
>>
>>27001507
I'd assume you'd have to remake them, since they're formatted differently. Both the GBA and DS use MIDI, but the DS has a lot more channels and a completely different soundfont. You could probably trim it down and redo the instruments and get something sounding alright, but it wouldn't just be plug-and-play.

That being said a lot of songs have already been converted to GBA.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=308411
http://www.romhack.me/pages/205/info/
>>
Bumping to combat the shit flow of GO threads.
>>
>>26996970

So I'm playing Pokemon Light Platinum, is it supposed to be this fucking absurd?
>No way to heal in the first town
>First trainer is unskippable and has 4 Pokemon at levels 4 and 5 (while starter poke is still at level 5 itself)
>Starter poke goes from level 5 to 11 in that one battle
>When paralyzed, 1 in 6 attacks will be successful
It seems really well polished so far but it's like a fucking 5 year old came up with the ideas for the beginning of the game.
>>
>>27006304
>When paralyzed, 1 in 6 attacks will be successful
what? that should be 1 in 4, since it's a 25% chance of doing nothing.
>>
>>26998612
Affinity is the word I use to describe the types of moves as a whole (physical, special, or "miscellaneous"). I suppose you could also call it the "class" of a move.
Also, the guy working on that patch is an autistic asshole who is withholding it for arbitrary, shitty reasons.
>>
File: 2016-07-07_00.51.16.jpg (2 MB, 1636x1636) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-07_00.51.16.jpg
2 MB, 1636x1636
Kek
>>
>>26996970

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=336256

Playing through this right now, using gb emulator on R4

shits amazing, the hard mode is actually hard and forces you to have a strategy.

Each gym battle is challenging as fuck.

Easily best rom hack i've ever played
>>
>>27007411
Ah, they're called "categories", I've learned after a quick Bulbapedia search.
>>
File: 1392877402593.jpg (21 KB, 666x565) Image search: [Google]
1392877402593.jpg
21 KB, 666x565
Simple yes or no, don't handhold/spoonfeed if you don't want to.

Can a New 3DS on 11.0.0-33U be set up to inject pokomanz? Or is it pic related?
>>
>>27009233
Not doable. Best you could do is get a .3dsx of a gba emulator to run from the homebrew menu. If that's all you want to do, great, but you're missing out on a ton of stuff otherwise.
>>
>>26997075
>Anyway, I'm compiling RPGXP tileset based on Pokemon Dawn tiles

Will it have doors?
>>
>>27009233
>>>/vp/injection
>>
>>27009279
>>27009233
Ignore me, I thought you were talking about rom injections. Listen to >>27010141
>>
I was curious as to how everyone figures out the dialogue for your hacks and what format you write it in.

Do you just type stuff into a word document or do you wing it while retooling?
>>
>>27012113
I wing it
>>
File: Surfing1.webm (2 MB, 576x240) Image search: [Google]
Surfing1.webm
2 MB, 576x240
I think the sprites look good for now.
Have to work on the hitboxes though.
Yes. Wailord will be to scale.
>>
>>27014404
How laborious is it ? Do you just add the trainer on top of the pokémon and hope it fits or do you manually place it for each pokémon ?
>>
>>27014574
I placed the pokemon underneath and set characteristics for each species.
So far, I have a list of special conditions for tiny pokemon, pokemon halfway out of the water, and large pokemon. They are all placed differently based on whether they are tagged in this list.
>>
>>27014620
Nice, looks like it works well. It's gonna be o lot of work to make custom sprite for pokémons like beartic tho.
>>
File: digimonrainbow.png (757 KB, 654x1026) Image search: [Google]
digimonrainbow.png
757 KB, 654x1026
I want to revive Digimon Rainbow! Final call to see who's interested. The game needs lots of ideas to come to fruition, if there's no interest I won't bother. The revival project would be in Essentials, for its ease of use.

Custom graphics and shit would have to be submitted(the original Digimon Rainbow worked the same way). I have no experience with anything other than programming, and even in programming I am not very skilled. Unless someone with actual talent is interested in working on Digimon Rainbow, submissions are the only way the project could come together.

I'd like to see how the game would turn out. It's an interesting idea(to me, at least) to have so many people collaborate in such an unorganized way. At the same time, I understand why people would be uninterested. Essentials, submissions required, and the general concept are all pretty big deterrents.

So, would you contribute? Just ideas are enough.
>>
>>27015409
What the fuck was the idea, though?
>>
>>27015409
>I have no experience with anything other than programming, and even in programming I am not very skilled.
I'd rather wait for Omen or someone who actually knows what they're doing, even if it takes another year or two.
>>
>>27014686
> It's gonna be o lot of work to make custom sprite for pokémons like beartic tho.
Sure is Kyle-Dove of Deviantart gave me a big of a starting point with his underwater resource, but it's still a lot of spriting practice.
>>
>>27015409
I'd help make the game in Firered if I didn't already have a project.
>>
>>27015418
One guy tried implementing every idea that gets posted in his threads, made a huge fucking to do list that he compiled in few pastebins. He eventually stopped taking suggestions to catch up and implement the shit people already asked for. Ended up releasing some shitty demo, made few more threads and eventually disappeared, but going MIA is kinda his thing.
And then there's this faggot who did nothing of value to prove himself, but wants army of anons to do everything for him. If he really cared, he'd take the already existing ideas from the pastebins (which you can find easily with a quick google search) and release alpha with a chunk of them or do anything at all to show that he cares, really, but no. That's clearly too much to ask for.
>>
>>27015651
Out of curiosity, link to pastebins?
>>
>>27015666
Nevermind, found it in LITERALLY one google search
http://4chandata.org/vp/OH-SNAP-Digimon-Rainbow-Revengeance-xD-a810713
>>
>>27015691
>>27015666
There was also this http://pastebin.com/Qi9BPd37
>>
>>27015691
Alas, the pastebins are dead.
>>
>>27015717
http://pastebin.com/QD9mkrFE
>>
>>27015737
>>27015714
Get on wit it then
>>
>>27015651
>who did nothing of value to prove himself
What the fuck do you want?
I just want some idea of how much interest there is before deciding whether it'll be worth it to continue. You act like I've killed your dog and your mother.
Anyway, it looks like people are not interested. So I will fuck off and do something else.

>wants army of anons to do everything for him
Not everything, just some. I can't do graphics, music, or other shit, but I can do basic RPG Maker shit like putting in new moves, new Pokemon, changing text, adding NPCs, and so on.
The original dev was THE EXACT SAME WAY. He made no new graphics or music, everything had to be submitted.

>if he really cared, he'd take the already existing ideas from the pastebins and release alpha with a chunk of them
I don't want to waste time on a project that will never complete. Most of that pastebin is meme shit like "change PP Max to Rare Pepe", anyway.
It's also suited to a hack rather than an original game.
>>
File: Idle Levitating Npcs.webm (493 KB, 1152x480) Image search: [Google]
Idle Levitating Npcs.webm
493 KB, 1152x480
Adding Soaring and additional features like levitation to certain pokémon
>>
>>27018733
Just wondering, but do the shadows work properly for you when you're fishing? Mines are way too fucking low due to the sprite's fishing rod going below the feet and it looks like ass, no idea where to edit that so I just made the image responsible transparent.
>>
File: Frame 1.png (15 KB, 330x416) Image search: [Google]
Frame 1.png
15 KB, 330x416
I'm trying to "modify" the second frame of a Pokemon's animation in Emerald (I know it says Frame 1, Frame 0 is the first). Is there a program better for that than "Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor" that I should be using? When I edit Frame 1, often times I'm not sure if my modification went through because it doesn't show anything different in the bottom windows, so I'm not sure if it's just not showing the change or if it's actually not working.
>>
>>27018787
I'm using a modified shadow script and haven't worked with fishing yet.
>>
Checking that list of roms and I found them uncomplete

What are some hacks who are finished? Original or Difficulty both are fine
>>
So the OP has a list of notable ROM hacks, but is there also a list of notable essentials games somewhere?
>>
>>27016859
>only has basic RMXP knowledge
Just stop now.
>>
As someone who only tried Essentials and never really bothered with romhacking I got few questions to romhacking anons:

1. Are there any advantages of romhacking? Other than filesizes, I mean.
2. What are the main disadvantages of it?
3. Is it possible to implement shit like following Pokemon or make the battle sprites animated and change the battle scenery to gen 4/5?
4. Is the scripting, map editing and editing sprites/tiles/events/switches/cutscenes/whatever harder than in RPGXP?
5. Is there some limitation on amount of Pokemon and regions I can have?
6. Does it even have fogs? I really like that about essentials, having clouds and shades and shit.

Might as well just tell you guys what I want my game to have and I'd be really thankful if anyone told me if it's possible to achieve that with romhacking. Telling me why I should pick Essentials over romhacking for that would be appreciated as well. Anyways, here I go:

-Day/night system
-Physical/Special split
-649 Pokemon (everything from generations I-V, to be exact)
-Moves updated to gen V
-Reusable TMs
Basically the basic Essentials stuff, but also:
-I'd really really like following Pokemon, but I guess I can live without it
-Animated battle sprites are something I'd like but can also live without

There you go. I know most of this shit is in Essentials by default, but I wouldn't mind adding it manually. With that said, are there any roms out there that could be a good base for a gen V-oriented romhack?
>>
>>27018733
please release this soon
this game looks so beautiful
>>
>>27018919
Best ones imo are blazed glazed and vega
>>
>>27019391
>1
Pretty much any device can emulate the GBA, which means you can play it anywhere.
You're using the engine GF made, which is a smooth 60 fps. (gen 3)

>2
Filesize and hardware limitations.
It takes assembly knowledge to get the most out of ROM hacking.

>3
>Following pokemon
The closest anyone has gotten to this is getting a person to follow you, through designated maps, which had a lot of issues + it never got finished. So no, maybe when the disassembly is complete.
>animated battle sprites
as in 2-frames like emerald and crystal, or .gif-like animations like gen 5?
2-frames is possible, but a lot of work.
Fully animated I don't think.
>battle scenery
Yes, you can change any battle background to your liking, as long as it's a maximum 240x160 in size.

>4
Probably, I don't know.

>5
The current limit on amount of Pokemon I've seen is somewhere around 1000 (firered).
Regions, you can have as many as the space in the ROM supports. If you wanted a different worldmap for a different region in Emerald, you'd need ASM knowledge, but in Firered there are 4 different worldmaps which you can edit.

>6
There's the heavy white smoke fog, but other than that, you'll probably have to do some ASM to get new OW weather effects.

>those features you want
All feasible, 'cept for the following pokemon and the gen-5 styled animated sprites.

Pokemon Ruby should be fully disassembled in a year or so, so we'll see what happens, see if anyone manages to implement these.
But, if noone does, you can always learn and try implementing it yourself.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-08-13-37-37.png (189 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-08-13-37-37.png
189 KB, 720x1280
Currently implementing a bit of a different shiny system.
There are three tiers of shines:
Alterno- the current shines, with some less great ones changed up a bit. They are perfect IVs and 1 in 500 chance of appearing.

Melano- all black appearance with a sort of galaxy look to them, star shimmers around them. Perf IV, have a move called Lucky Luster that's a stronger rock type payday. 1 in 1000 chance of appearing.

Albino- all white with opal shimmer effect. Perf IV, have Lucky Luster, and an additional attack called Opal Shield that does damage and ups spdef and def. 1 in 1500 chance of appearing.
>>
>>27021425
Really hope you're not Max because that sounds like shit.
>>
>>27019391
>Are there any advantages of romhacking? Other than filesizes, I mean.
Portability, a more optimized engine, and the game you choose as your base already has all the features of said game.

>What are the main disadvantages of it?
Hardware limitations can be a bitch sometimes. Before KBM decided to port Prism to Crystal where he could optimize code, he had to expand his ROM to 4MB, which broke the real-time clock system.

If your ROM has hard-coded limits for data, like Gen 1 and 2 having 1-byte limitations for Pokémon and moves, it's hard to get past those limitations even if the game in question has been disassembled (ShantyTown expanded Red's Pokémon limits to 2-bytes but he had to spend three weeks rewriting large chunks of the game to accomplish that, though now that he did it anyone can use it).

>Is it possible to implement shit like following Pokemon
Yes, though nobody has done it yet.

>or make the battle sprites animated and change the battle scenery to gen 4/5

That would probably have to wait until Gen 3 gets disassembled, I imagine that would take a lot of work. It'd probably take up a ton of space on the ROM to hold those animated sprites, too.

>Is the scripting, map editing and editing sprites/tiles/events/switches/cutscenes/whatever harder than in RPGXP?
I've never used Essentials so I don't know.

>Is there some limitation on amount of Pokemon and regions I can have?
Gen 3 can easily hold as many Pokémon as you want. I don't know the limit for the number of maps in Gen 3 though.

>Does it even have fogs?
I know RSE does, given Rusturf Tunnel. You'd probably have to do some special code if you wanted to add custom fogs, though.

>Day/night system
>Physical/Special split
>649 Pokemon (everything from generations I-V, to be exact)
>Moves updated to gen V
>Reusable TMs

I've seen all of these things individually in hacks (not all Gen V moves but most), there's probably one with most or all of them, Pokécom is down though so I can't check.
>>
>>27021425
>OP mon's with a much higher chance of encountering
Come on, don't make the game easier...
>>
>>27021425
What is your just varied the colors of the pokémon based on the IVs directly?
there are 32 values a pokémon can have in a single stat and six stats.

You could pair 2 stats together and have them represent RBGG modifiers for their sprites instead of respriting everything.
like:
Red=((special+attack)-32)*4) "-128 through 128"
Blue=((defense+special defense)-32)*4) "-128 through 128"
Green=((hp+speed)-32)*4) "-128 through 128"
Gray= 4(IVtotal)/6

That way the higher the IVs, the lighter and muted the pokémon becomes.
This could also end up with some interesting variations in between.

Personally, I don't see much use in that feature, but maybe you could put it to use.
>>
File: Attack On Silph Co..png (9 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Attack On Silph Co..png
9 KB, 256x192
Anybody making a game for the Relic Castle Game Jam?
>>
>>27022258
I'm shooting for either submitting my demo if that's submission-legal or doing something completely different.
>>
>>27022376
I don't think it is if it was made before the start date.
>>
>>27022492
Well that's the thing. I've built scripts and all, but I haven't put them together for the demo.

Well, now that hardly matters, because I realized that I now have an excuse to make the prequel a reality.
>>
File: MVGfnXS.png (7 KB, 512x128) Image search: [Google]
MVGfnXS.png
7 KB, 512x128
How would you fix Ekans, /heg/?
>>
>>27022829
Add the Ekans minigame from Stadium 1 to the mainline series.
>>
>>27021538
Not max, how would you better it? Putting it here for feedback.
>>27022210
Interesting idea, but would be hard for me to given the main idea in my game. Will remember for future tho.
>>
>>27022564
Yeah, going with that
Right now the project is called Pokémon Λ.
It's set 500 years before Meta Mercury.
You play as a young boy in search of a mysterious stone.
Throughout your journey, you catalog pokémon you find in a leatherbound sketchbook.
You have to battle and learn from 4 gurus along the way.
You are permitted three pokémon to follow you, as you have no pokeballs
>>
File: oldale town.png (9 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
oldale town.png
9 KB, 240x160
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/oldale-town-gbc-8-bit
http://pastebin.com/H6jEVuUs

So I'd really like some feedback for this cover, moreso than usual, since I didn't like my Route 101 cover very much and tried harder than normal to make this one more acceptable. I tried taking minor inspiration from ORAS this time instead of only looking at the RSE version, and I'd really like to know how it compares to my past Hoenn covers, specifically Littleroot and Route 101 since they're all similar songs with regard to instruments.

Just any criticism would be appreciated.
>>
>>27025812
I am quivering with excitement. Will you be making pokedex mods so that you only write in what you have seen and full details become evident with repeated sightings?

Also, if you want help with absolutely anything then I'd love to give you a hand.
>>
>>27029033
Hell, yeah. You're spot on.

If you want to help, contact me at [email protected]. I can add you to the team.
>>
>>27015409
I was just wondering about this the other day. Be more specific, what more do you need to make it happen?
>>
>>27029113
To be clear? What are you developing? Meta Mercury or did you drop meta mercury and you're making a different game as a prequel first?
>>
>>27029237
I'm still working on Meta Mercury, but I'm focusing most of my attention on the Relic Castle Game Jam where I can showcase a new project as the prequel and use it as a teaser for MM.
>>
>>27029289
So it's a smaller deal than a full game?
>>
>>27029302
Yeah it has most of the features and an in-depth story, but only 4 "gyms" for instance.
>>
>>27029327
Also, no Sound type, as it hasn't been "discovered" yet.
>>
>>27029352
What mons in how big of a dex are you looking at?

What tiles are you using?
>>
>>27029441
I'm looking at 100-150 mons with only fakemon starters and 2-3 evolutionary families and moves from MM. Probably no Poké Bodies, but Following Pokémon and Field Abilities for sure.
Everything else is canon.
For pokémon selection, I'm looking mostly at Pokémon hat would be commonly found in that timeframe and have practical use in society, such as Abra (fortune telling), Rhyhorn (towing carts), Oddish (herbal medicine), Rattata (pest), and Luxray (Feral beast), as well as many "wildlife" pokémon.
No Magnemite, Elgyem, or Garbodor...unless...
>>
Is there any way to properly play Sacred Gold on Desemu? I get permanent freezes where even restarting the emulator wont let me continue the game at all.
>>
>>27030661
The only thing I've had happen in Desmume while playing it is the screen will go black and I won't be able to see. I could still open up menus and such but no hard crashes. I don't think you need to apply the anti-piracy patch to HG/SS before you patch but I could be mistaken.

I suggest trying to patch a fresh rom and seeing what happens. Worse comes to worst just download the prepatched rom of it in the Nuzlocke general. Since Dray hasn't updated those hacks in ages it should be at the latest version.
>>
>>27022930
I suppose I should have specified that I was talking specifically about the ekans in my image.
>>
>>27022564
Just be aware that any resources you made/use in your entry are made public when you release it. I don't have an issue with you using things made before the jam started if you're fine with that.

This is mostly to discourage people from using private resources they made for a main project.
>>
>>26999415
Someone should port essentials to the newer RPG maker.
>>
>>27029125
Custom graphics and music aren't necessary, worst-case scenario is using all FireRed sprites and music. They would liven the game up, though.
Lots of ideas are needed. Specifically for trainers and other NPCs. I wouldn't want to recreate FireRed entirely, and no one would be interested in mostly playing FireRed in Essentials. Each route would need some new trainers at an appropriate challenge level. Towns would need NPCs to not feel totally empty. And of course, there would need to be many miscellaneous changes to make it stand out from FireRed.
FireRed has a shit ton of trainers and NPCs, so it's very likely that I'd have to use some FireRed trainers and NPCs anyway, but it would be nice to have mostly-original content.
>>
>>27016859
>What the fuck do you want?

I think the post you're replying to was pretty clear about wanting a proof that you really care.
You don't want to waste your time on a project that doesn't have anons doing almost everything for you and you state that you can't do anything other than basic RPGMaker shit? Come on, anon.

I mean, I admire that you're being honest about your skills but the fact that you've put no effort whatsoever in implementing the already suggested features as well as the fact that had something complicated been suggested, you'd be fucked big time, shows a pretty sad future for your takeover of Digimon Rainbow from the very beginning.

Why not just wait patiently until somebody with better knowledge of Ruby and Essentials decides to do it or, who knows, maybe the original creator will make a glorious return?
You could also take your time polishing your skills as a dev before a huge project like that.

>Most of that pastebin is meme shit like "change PP Max to Rare Pepe", anyway.

Well, that's the point, isn't it? To implement all sorts of crap that retards from all over /vp/ would suggest.

Also, after skimming through one of those pastebins (cause the second one is literally filled with ideas for quests involving a new evil team) there seems to be whole bunch of new sidequests, features, as well as changes to moves, NPCs, Pokemon and whatnot already suggested, not just renaming jobs, so what seems to be the problem? You haven't even taken the project over yet and you're already complaining about suggestions.

You know that people are more likely to suggest completely ridiculous shit if you tell them you're using Essentials, right?

Also
>I don't want to waste time on a project that will never complete.
No project would ever get done with attitude like that.
>>
>>27032894
The only resources I'm using from my project are already public.
The gen 5 Tiles, Following Pokémon, Movie Script, and Field Abilities, which at this point is just an HM bypass, are either public resources or something I already made public. I have no problem making the art/spritework public either.
>>
>>27034161
>wanting a proof that you really care
How exactly do I prove that at this stage? His suggestion that I use the existing pastebin is not very helpful, as I've stated.

>anons doing almost everything for you
"almost everything"? They put in as much effort as they want. They can say "porygon as wild encounter in Route 8", I'm the one that actually has to go in and change the encounter data. If they want to make original graphics for a new Pokemon or trainer or map or whatever, that's up to them. I'm not asking anyone to make anything, it all depends on how much they want to contribute.

>can't do anything other than basic RPGMaker shit
Basic RPG Maker knowledge is enough for this project. Anything outside my ability I can look at tutorials. Obviously it would be better if I were an artist, a musician, an experienced Ruby programmer, and so on, but it really is not necessary.

>no effort whatsoever in implementing the already suggested features
I've explained why I didn't do this.

>had something complicated been suggested, you'd be fucked big time
Original project was the same way. Doesn't excuse my lack of ability, it just means that it's no less than the original project(other than being in Essentials).

>shows a pretty sad future for your takeover of Digimon Rainbow
There is no "future" because it hasn't started. I'm asking here to see if it's even possible with my experience and Essentials. You guys are expecting too much for a project that hasn't even begun.

part 1 of 2
>>
>>27034161
Part 2 of 2

>wait for someone else
"No project would ever get done with attitude like that."
It's possible for someone with even basic knowledge of hacking or Essentials to put this together, but no one else has given it a shot.

>You could also take your time polishing your skills as a dev before a huge project like that.
This is actually good advice. I'm learning to be a better programmer, but honestly I don't think it's necessary to make the game. But maybe I'll git gud at Ruby and come back.

>Well, that's the point, isn't it?
This might be a little contentious, but I would set a quality requirement. Total shitposts like "Poison Gas is Nazi-type!" I would just ignore.

>what seems to be the problem?
Even if I were to make all the changes from the pastebin, that by itself would not make a demo. I'd also need placeholder NPCs, trainers, and encounters from FireRed. Otherwise, the players would just be wandering through an empty overworld with no way to even see the changes.
I suppose I could do a 2-gym demo with mostly trainers and encounters from FireRed. I hadn't really considered it. It would be a bit of a waste if they were to just be replaced later on, but there isn't that much content up until the 2nd gym anyway, so it wouldn't be much of an issue. I probably should've done this, instead. But if the demo was not well-received then development would have to cease and it would just be wasted time.

>No project would ever get done with attitude like that.
The issue is that with no interest, there's no project. It's different for something that isn't so reliant on other people. There's no harm in asking beforehand, except that people apparently expect a demo even if you haven't started development.

Thank you for being positive rather than discouraging. It's easy to call someone a faggot and have absolute faith in your own solutions, but to be cooperative is more difficult.
>>
>>27035327
If people keep starting projects like Omen's from scratch without actually finishing them, /vp/ will eventually lose interest and stop replying, because they've already seen this shit lead nowhere, as fun as these threads might've been.

A good way of encouraging people to participate in the revival of Digimon Rainbow would be implementing the ideas that people have suggested in the past. Why? Because then you don't make the bad impression on others like you've made here. Anons will look at your idea and be like "Hey, this guy actually added the shit we suggested a year or two ago." They'll have the actual proof of your capability and dedication in front of them, they'll see that you've made more progress than the Omen of Progress himself. They'll know you mean business and you're ready to implement whatever they post and trust me, there's plenty of people on /vp/ who'd love Digimon Rainbow actually happening.

What we have instead is you trying to sell the idea of this project to people while having done nothing (yes it is a bad thing, you're not starting a project, you're reviving existing one, one that's already proven to have a following on /vp/), outright admitting you have only basic RPGXP knowledge and even trying to defend that's enough. It really isn't, but even if it was, anon, you really don't want to be that honest about it because quite frankly it's bad advertising.

And calling existing suggestions "meme shit" doesn't really count as explanation as to why you haven't used them. You also claimed that they're more suited for a romhack than an Essentials game. Have you actually checked those pastebins? These ideas are perfectly fine for implementing in RPG Maker. In fact, I'm pretty sure that using Essentials for that would make it much easier.
It really sounds to me like you're just being picky and looking for an excuse not to do it.

1/2
>>
>>27036340
Also, Omen released a demo without having implemented even 10% of suggested shit. It was buggy and awful but he did that simply to show people that there is in fact some progress happening, as slow as it may be. The pastebins posted in this thread have more than enough stuff in them to just show /vp/ that you actually care about finishing Omen's project and we're literally missing half of them.

You're also talking about setting quality standards and ignoring suggestions you discard as shitposts. Anon, /vp/ is literally blue /b/, a board filled with furries, shitposting, various other forms of cancer and human garbage. And you know what? That's fine. Having a clusterfuck of memes and dumb things only a 13 year old would suggest is part of what made Digimon Rainbow such a fun idea. I'm sure Omen was very well aware what sorts of shit people would suggest and yet he didn't really seem to mind. That project wasn't supposed to become a game of the decade, it wasn't supposed to be serious, it wasn't supposed to be mature. It was chaotic, bad and silly shitfest from the very beginning until the last thread it had. Just like /vp/.

Claiming that you'd ignore suggestions is pretty much against the spirit and defeats the whole purpose of Digimon Rainbow.

So tell me, what the fuck are you really doing here? You're clearly not too eager to implement the ideas that people have suggested for the exact project you're proclaiming to be trying to revive, you even want the right to ignore any potential ideas you might dislike. Does that sound like reviving this project to you? Cause to me it seems like you just want your own thing on your own terms.

With that being said, I wish you best of luck on any projects you start in the future. You'll really need it if you think that releasing demos is a waste of time if people don't end up drooling over them.

2/2
>>
File: fug.png (2 MB, 1544x880) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
2 MB, 1544x880
So, this isn't really thread related, but I have a question:
To all these people here who have ever done voiding/tweaking in DP, my dumbass self saved while in the void, and now I can't open the bag or move anywhere thanks to invisible walls. Would a cheating device help me to bypass those walls, or am I permanently stuck?

pic very related
>>
>>27036544
An AR walk through walls code could probably get you out. Not quite sure if saving while tweaking is any different from other stuck-in-wall scenarios
>>
>>27034701
>or something I already made public
Where do you publicize your stuff?
>>
>>27036587
I hope you're right. Gonna drive to my friend tomorrow and pick up his old AR, stupid of me to take the gamble of saving at the right spot instead of starting from a few thousand steps back, seeing how stuff like that can destroy your whole save game.
>>
>>27036779
I'm referring to the water reflection and and fixes to following pokémon which I posted in previous threads. Those are really the only original things I'm including in LΛmbda so far.
The sketchbook Script, will have to be released as well.
>>
>>27036853
>which I posted in previous threads
So they're gone now?
>>
>>27036890
I'll improve on these scripts and post them to permanent forum topics when I release the Game Jam project.
>>
>>27036906
Awesome. I'll look forward to that (too)
>>
>>27036853
Could you re-post these?
>>
File: 1467237181020.png (3 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1467237181020.png
3 KB, 256x256
>>27036936
>>27036931
Found it in the archives

Water Animation

I'm also currently optimizing my water animations, so my code for it is subject to change.
This should get you to where I am though:

You need to use my WIP Gen 5 tiles found in the OP or make your water tiles 33-50% transparent.

Define
>@panoramalag=0
at the beginning of def initialize (~line 139) in "Spriteset_Map"

In "def update",
Replace
>@panorama.ox = @map.display_x / 8
>@panorama.oy = @map.display_y / 8
with
>@panoramalag += 1

>if @panoramalag==6
> @panorama.ox -= 1
> @panorama.oy -= -1
> @panoramalag=0
>end
>@panorama.update if @panoramalag % 2 == 0

Set pic related as your panorama layer and it should animate underneath all transparent tiles on the map.
>>
File: hoihoi.png (19 KB, 618x429) Image search: [Google]
hoihoi.png
19 KB, 618x429
>>27021425
What a coincidence, I've been making a different shiny system too over the last couple of days.

>Pic related
>>
>>27036993
I have that already, but thanks. I was thinking that there were posts I had missed.
Are you going to be using horizontal split screen for the prequel? Or will it be single screen?
>>
File: splash.png (14 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
splash.png
14 KB, 512x384
Hi guys

Has Max figured out the family tree problem?
>>
>>27037077
those look pretty nice. i like the bottom center and bottom right.
>>
>>27036401
I wasn't trying to "sell the idea", I wanted to see if there would still be interest, given the differences between Omen's project and this one.
I don't understand why it's so bad to try to revive such a community-oriented project after Omen's departure. Or why basic RPG Maker knowledge is not enough for the project.
The pastebin is more suited to a ROM hack because a lot of it relies on existing content in the base FireRed game.
Yes, what I proposed was different from the original idea. It was unfair to call it a revival project. Even though the game should represent /vp/'s nature, I personally I believe that it shouldn't be a shitpost in game form. I don't think anyone could stand 10 hours of the same memes over and over.
As far as demos go, yes, it would be a total waste if people played the demo and said "this sucks shit". There would be no more suggestions and it would die. Any other game can fix the problems and continue, but one sour experience would kill any chance of the game continuing.
>>
>>27037178
Family tree problem?
>>
>>27037195
They're all randomly generated. I doubt I'd be able to get it working without some ugly mons, but the majority of the ones I've seen that are hue shifted look pretty good.
>>
>>27037258
In a previous thread I was having a problem with a family tree tutorial for Essentials

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Family_Tree

You said you were going to take a look at it.
>>
>>27037313
Oh right, I can look at it today. I actually got this script working at on point. What is the issue?
>>
>>27037115
Horizontal
The sketchbook takes up the right screen, usually.
>>
>>27037337
1. When I try to collect the egg I get this errorlog:

---------------------------
Pokemon Evolution Blue
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `family' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0xa2ad128>

PokemonFamily:173:in `initialize'

PField_DayCare:390:in `new'

PField_DayCare:390:in `pbDayCareGenerateEgg'

Debug:645:in `pbDebugMenu'

Debug:560:in `loop'

Debug:660:in `pbDebugMenu'

Debug:296:in `loop'

Debug:826:in `pbDebugMenu'

PScreen_PauseMenu:241:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

PScreen_PauseMenu:240:in `pbFadeOutIn'
This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Tech\Saved Games/Pokemon Evolution Blue/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
>>
File: Image4.png (29 KB, 908x397) Image search: [Google]
Image4.png
29 KB, 908x397
>>27037077
>>27037303
The cool thing about it is I can also generate other sprites with roughly the same colours.

No promises, though. I don't know if I can get it working yet.
>>
>>27037430
What version of essentials are you using?
There are a couple methods that don't exist in my version
>>
>>27037253
>I don't understand why it's so bad to try to revive such a community-oriented project after Omen's departure.

Nigga, people have problem with you, not with the idea of reviving it, which you're not even attempting anyway. I'm genuinely amazed that you haven't realized it yet.
Like it's been said above, if someone really wanted to revive Digimon Rainbow they could've just implemented the shit that's already been suggested. You claim it's more ROM hack oriented simply because it relies on contents of FireRed, which can be easily put in Essentials anyway. Well, newsflash, your lack of determination doesn't make it any less RPG Maker-oriented.

When I first saw Digimon Rainbow threads, they gave me an impression of a challenge and OP felt like a daring motherfucker. It was like he was telling entire /vp/ "Hit me with the worst shit imaginable and I'll put it in my game". Not everyone was hyped, mind you. Sometimes people gave lukewarm responses, often being skeptical about whole thing ever getting finished and yet OP didn't bitch about what a waste of time it was and anons participating didn't give a damn neither, because the thing you're referring to as waste of time others called fun. Fuck, reading those pastebins alone was enough to make me laugh.

Go ahead and start your own NoFunAllowed community-oriented project on /vp/, God speed, nobody can stop you. I'm sure all the kiddies here will be delighted to have their suggestions deemed unworthy. You might also want to make a different entrance than the one you've made here, cause half of the thread will be you arguing why is it fine to know fuckall about everything other than RPGXP basics. Then again, it can't be too bad. If some ideas are too hard to implement you can just ignore them, right?
>>
>>27037430
>>27038119
Got it to work Going to upload script fixes
>>
>>27038245
If you're using Essentials 16.1 or higher, this should work.
http://pastebin.com/raw/HjMP3P6k

I think the problem was that you left out:
>class PokeBattle_Pokemon
> attr_accessor :family
>end
Which is understandable, because it was the very last line of code on the page. It also would lead to the error you got.

Riding on a baby Spheal is hilarious
>>
>>27038211
>Nigga, people have problem with you
Not denying that, but that isn't what it says in the post.

>easily put in Essentials anyway
It's still a lot of effort to port over all the trainers, text, and other shit. It isn't a gigantic hurdle, but it's something. And the point of the post wasn't to advertise the project, it was just to ask if there's interest.

>When I first saw Digimon Rainbow threads, they gave me an impression of a challenge and OP felt like a daring motherfucker.
That's because was promising something that he couldn't deliver.

>didn't bitch about what a waste of time it was
That's because he was developing it, not considering development. The purpose of my post was not "I am reviving Digimon Rainbow", it was "I want to revive it, but with some differences, is there interest?"

>If some ideas are too hard to implement you can just ignore them, right?
Omen was the same way.
>>
>>27038306
OK, I got it working.
Thanks.
>>
How do you scripting guys go about version control in RMXP?
>>
File: Home.png (99 KB, 640x880) Image search: [Google]
Home.png
99 KB, 640x880
Does this look old enough for a game set 500 years ago?
>>
>>27041348
>Signs
People who lived in shacks like that definitely weren't literate unless it's some particular antisocial banished artisan's place.
>>
>>27041627
Your father is a rather talented blacksmith in the game.
It takes place right outside of a Castle.
Maybe if I sprite some hanging signs?
>>
>>27041348
heh not really, the lake and roads are fine, but the houses are not that old. they could easily be from these days. Maybe smooth stone walls tinted in pale colors would be more fitting. The roof is ok.
>>
>>27041703
good
>>
>>27041348
so interestingly enough in the old days there weren't nearly so many trees all over the place. It's not like it is today when you look at a wooded area and see a bunch of growth around and between the trees. Forests were meticulously groomed to make logging and hunting simply daily routine. So if this is set 500 years ago my immediate reaction is that there are way too many trees in close proximity
>>
>>27041764
I like that idea.
>>27041627 is right about the signs. I can take the neighbor's sign down and have a hanging on for the player's house.
>>
>>27041874
took me a while to find a picture of what I was trying to describe. It's a shitty picture, but it'll have to do. These trees here have been coppiced, cut so as to encourage them to grow several trunks. These trees have been left alone for many years since their coppicing, but ideally you would see the trunks sprouting from the base, not several feet up.

Also notice the lack of brush and lots of space between the trees. This makes seeing animals easier and hunting simpler. There will either be cultivated grass on the ground or not much at all, depending upon whether the animals are grazers or browsers.

Tree were usually planted in such a way that from an overheard there would appear to be a grid layout, but with plenty of space to walk between the rows and columns.
>>
>>27041703
It's more likely for forge to be behind the castle walls, if not, then at least in the settlement, as blacksmiths weren't exactly people likely to live in the woods, they were townsmen.
If the blacksmith is renowned then it's realistic for him to live even closer to the keep (and have an apprentice).

As for signs/hanging signs, these always had images rather than writings. If they were in relevant towns and whatnot, it's more likely that they were made of brick rather than wood. Interesting thing about townsfolk houses made of stone, these sometimes had stone carvings resembling something related to the owner's trade rather than hanging signs.
>>
File: Pokemon Grand Dad Version_01.png (11 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Grand Dad Version_01.png
11 KB, 240x160
>>
>>27042240
fuck off
>>
>>27041874
That's interesting, I'm working on a ways to loosen up those trees, then.

>>27042184
I would agree with the house placement, but this placement outside it pretty vital. also he's old and retired and only does repairs to equipment people bring in. Your neighbor/rival acts as his apprentice and helps him out he takes on big projects.
That carving idea might be a pretty good avenue, too.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
>>
>>27028962
I think it sounds very Gen II, I like it.
>>
File: Pokemon Grand Dad Version_02.png (6 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Grand Dad Version_02.png
6 KB, 240x160
>>27042272
?
>>
File: random_hue_charizard.gif (1 MB, 315x246) Image search: [Google]
random_hue_charizard.gif
1 MB, 315x246
>>27037755
Huh. So I actually seem to be getting places with this. File is animated.

Does anyone have a good name for this type of shiny? I've been calling them 'demishinies' in the code so far, because usually they're not a major change. You'll get mons where only the eyes or the stripes are different, for example.
>>
File: b7e.jpg (24 KB, 460x333) Image search: [Google]
b7e.jpg
24 KB, 460x333
Probably not the right thread but fuck it.
So I have a hacked 3DS with CFW already set up. I found a program that can move saves from the 3DS onto an SD card so I can then edit it on a computer. Works like a charm for 3DS games, but it won't find DS save files.

How do I get HG/SS/BW/B2W2 save files onto the SD card so I can then use a program like Pokegen?
>>
>>27042523
I think FBI can manage DS saves now. Not sure if it's actually the case as I haven't really read into it. You could try that.
>>
>have run away venonat in Wilted Y
>evolve it, thinking it'll get Venomoth's hidden ability
>it doesn't
I'm furious. Is this shit in the main games, too?
>>
File: 1462480354379.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1462480354379.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
What is the best Alpha Sapphire modded game?
Finally came up in my backlog but I remembered how dumbed down the whole game was.
Which of these should I go with?

>Pokemon Star Sapphire
>Pokemon GBAlpha Sapphire
>Pokemon Sinking Sapphire
>>
>>27042624
Meme Sapphire. Hybrid of Star and Sinking. It seems to be the preferred one in /hbg/
>>
>>27042327
Well I can try justifying a blacksmith living in the middle of nowhere a little.

There were forges in some villages and blacksmiths living in said rural communities were often serfs (at least in the Central/Eastern Europe, which flourished 500 years ago under Jagiellon dynasty, I'm not entirely sure how it worked in the West but with the declining serfdom and plagues I'd assume that talented folk were more likely to move to cities rather than stay poor in their bumfuckistans) with much less skill than their city equivalents. They often focused on making farming tools and whatnot rather than weapons.
I guess your MC's dad could be exception of the less talented rural blacksmith rule. With that said, you'd probably have to add more houses, barns and a well in that area, you know, to actually turn it into a village.

There's also another option, which personally I find rather interesting, clergy blacksmiths. Abbeys and monasteries had those, albeit they were often celibate monks.
>>
>>27042734
Just want to add to this that if you chose to make a village, keep in mind that had the lord been aware that your player's father is very talented, it's very likely that he'd drag him to the castle to serve him there (unless he's a very benevolent and understanding person) rather than sending his servants to the village every time he has an order for him.
>>
>>27041348
I'd desaturate the nature tiles a bit. While ancient civilizations obviously look as the ones now do, BW2 tiles are way too bright/saturated and kind of kill the atmosphere. It might also be worth adding small things like lilypads to the ponds, wells, etc just to add some more ambiance.

Honestly, conveying a game set 500 years in the past probably requires a lot of smart tile editing/tileset usage to work
>>
File: kyle_frlg.png (290 KB, 1072x579) Image search: [Google]
kyle_frlg.png
290 KB, 1072x579
>>27043162
For a bit more context, here are some frlg tiles from kyledove that I think convey the idea of a "pokemon game set in the distant past" somewhat well. Even if you're going with Gen 5-style graphics, they may provide a good basis on how to edit palettes/tiles in order to better convey that the game takes place 500 years ago
>>
File: Home.png (164 KB, 640x880) Image search: [Google]
Home.png
164 KB, 640x880
>>27043254
>>27043162
>>27041874
>>27042134

How's this?
>>
>>27043934
You'll need anvils, chimneys, tongs, bellows and other sorts of smithy crap. Also possibly other signs of civilization.
>>
>>27043979
Yeah, eventually I'll ad those in, but I'm more concerned with the palette and tree density right now.
>>
>>27043934
Definitely a lot better. Maybe it could be played around with a bit more, but I'd say it works. The sign still seems out of place, though.

Additionally it might be worth sticking with Pokemon's "classic" style of tree mapping [unless this is specifically intended to be an area with sparse forestry]. Forests were usually very plentiful in most older civilizations on earth.
>>
File: Title_Card.webm (460 KB, 1152x480) Image search: [Google]
Title_Card.webm
460 KB, 1152x480
>>27044023
Yeah, I think I'll increase the density like the previous games and leave a few spaces as to not look like a full solid wall. Something like the top corner.

How does this look for the first time loading animation?
>>
anyone know if an OR/AS randomizer is in existence?
>>
>>27046030
Yeah, there's a randomiser built into PK3DS.
>>
>>27022829
define "fix"
>>
>Tfw get to sketch 150 pokémon for Lambda.
Would you all like to enter Dex entry's through handwriting, keyboard or both?
>>
rec me some gen v hacks besides the drayano ones
>>
>>27050774
Nobody has ever made a worthwhile Gen V hack besides Drayano. Someone was trying to port Hoenn to the engine a little while ago but they gave up in frustration before they got to Petalburg, because map editing in Gen V is an even bigger pain in the ass than map editing in Gen IV apparently.
>>
>>27043934
Ignore the "sparse trees" guy. That's retarded. Full grids of trees as map borders is a Pokemon rule and simple game mechanic. It not being followed is amateur as fuck and a really good indicator of a fangame that doesn't know how to map.
>>
>>27052743
It's like having a water route where everywhere you can't go isn't blocked off my obvious boulders. Players will spend hours exploring every nook and cranny for hidden items and the more complex your borders get the more miserable they'll end up.
>>
File: update.png (15 KB, 512x383) Image search: [Google]
update.png
15 KB, 512x383
Update on the randomised shiny thing: think I've got it working now. I'm surprised this was so easy really - keep waiting for the ball to drop and it to stop functioning.

But nope. Catch a pokemon and it'll keep its palette shift, even after evolving. Which means that if an evolution gains new colours, they can be affected. Pretty cool.

Gonna work on making it work for follower overworld sprites next.
>>
>>27052743
>this much autism
>about a "mechanic" no longer followed by the main series games

I agree on the very borders being filled with square trees though.
>>
>>27056922
Oh please, sparse trees look shit and require a fuck ton more effort to lay out.
>>
>>27052743
This.
>>
>>27056997
>effort
No wonder most fangames aren't finished. You guys are lazier than Game Freak.
>>
>>27056922
>few short sentences
>much autism
>>
>>27057023
To what or whom are you referring to?

Low functioning autists are known for not being able to speak, aren't they?
>>
File: 1468053290420.jpg (117 KB, 770x720) Image search: [Google]
1468053290420.jpg
117 KB, 770x720
>>27057016
>No wonder most fangames aren't finished.

Because people obsess over the insignificant details like tree placement and spend way too much time on things they should be trying to get out quickly.
>>
>>27057016
Yeah, tell 'em, anon. Bunch of lazy fucks who refuse to put extra effort for the sole purpose of making the game look worse.
>>
>>27057520
>wanting these people to shit out things quickly
>when fan game creators don't have rigid deadlines actual development teams have

Then again shit like Sage is barely at an alpha release and it's been years.
>>
>>27057707
Tbf, compared to its peers (full games with fully new assets) it's ahead of schedule if anything.
>>
>>27028962
I love your track.
>>
File: update2.png (27 KB, 511x381) Image search: [Google]
update2.png
27 KB, 511x381
>>27056389
Got it working!

Need some performance enhancements on this one though. How do you check the game's framerate?
>>
>>27042430
How does it work in details? It sounds super amazing.
>>
>>27058886
love the way your game looks

will you make an actual game, or are you just toying around creating an engine?
>>
>>27042430
Variations, or possibly morphs?
>>
>>27057707
a lot of them also don't have the "actual development teams" part either
>>
>>27043254
Oh man not him but these help me so much. My game is a Western goldrush setting so anyone else know some frlg tiles that would pertain?
>>
>>27059030
you know it's basic klein build, right?
>>
File: update2_2.png (58 KB, 1062x381) Image search: [Google]
update2_2.png
58 KB, 1062x381
>>27059030
I'm just in it to make this script right now.

I do have some cool ideas for a real game, but realistically I'll never get there, so instead I'm just making some fun stuff that other people can use. Never tried out ruby before - it's quite fun.

>love the way your game looks
Pretty great, isn't it? Not mine, though: aside from the script, this is all the BW pack. It's a damn fine piece of work, seems quite polished so far.

Here's the link:
http://pokemonfangames.com/p-pokemon-essentials-bw

>>27059007
I've been calling them 'demishinies' in the script code until someone gives me a better name.

They're just regular mons with one colour (with a lot of tolerance) hue shifted to a different part of the spectrum. The Lilligant in the thumbnail, for example, is shifted on the red spectrum which only affects the flower. That way you end up with sprites that only have one part of them different, which is a cool look.

The hue shift is stored as data on the pokemon, so when it evolves or changes form the shift is maintained. I'm also applying it to the overworld sprites.

Here's the flaws with it:

>can't guarantee a pokemon will look any good with the shift
You'll get some neon pink nightmares and some mons where the tolerance is a bit too low or too high, but the latter doesn't seem to be a huge issue. Finding shit mons is probably going to be part of the fun.

>not every pokemon flagged as a demishiny will actually look different
I don't check to see whether there's an actual change from the original because if I did that then some pokemon's evolved forms would have colours that could never be affected. So even if you set the game to produce 100% these randomly generated 'mons, in quite a few species it might still take you a little while to find a hue shifted one.
>>
>>27059328
>I do have some cool ideas for a real game, but realistically I'll never get there, so instead I'm just making some fun stuff that other people can use.
Is there a list of your scripts? That's cool.
>>
>>27059146
no, obvious newfag here
>>
>>27059387
Nah, this is my first time mucking about with essentials scripts. Ruby seems like a cool language so far - I'm probably making a lot of mistakes though.
>>
>>27059119
Sounds like a cool game. Tiles in that style are pretty difficult to find, you might have to sprite your own or do some heavy editing. However there are some similar ones out there:

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/rhevarhe_duh/library/Tiles?sort=3&page=1

Rhevarhe_duh was a tilespriter during 4th gen and he uploaded his old tiles there, the nature tiles might work somewhat well with the kyledove frlg tiles [although some pallete editing may be required].

Additionally the hacking community has a bunch of tilers who make tiles in the gen 3 style, you might be able to find some old-time looking ones if you dig enough. Recommend going to deviantart for that, whack a hack's forum has some tiles as well http://wahackforo.com/f-galerias-tiles/ is the url for the tiler's 'gallery threads', some of which contain public gen 3 style tiles
>>
File: zeinfrlgtiles.png (167 KB, 1184x832) Image search: [Google]
zeinfrlgtiles.png
167 KB, 1184x832
>>27059692
found these in my files, old frlg tiles by zein, the indoor ones could probably work well with your game concept
>>
File: Home.png (176 KB, 640x880) Image search: [Google]
Home.png
176 KB, 640x880
>>27052743
>>27056922
How's this?
>>
>>27060443
Get rid of the glass windows
Either use just a black square same as the door, or no windows at all

500 years ago they didn't have pane windows
>>
>>27060623
Yes they did.
Even 1000 years ago they had pane windows.
>>
>>27060683
>>27060623
Don't worry I haven't focused on the actual tiles yet, just placement. I still need to add a Pokémon pen and several blacksmith instruments
>>
>>27060443
not the guy roasting you for sparse tree placement but it honestly might be worth just mapping the trees in the traditional pokemon style. it just tends to make maps look a lot more composed
>>
What is the romhack with the most fun and difficulty that isn't gen1 or gen2?
>>
>>27060683
Windows, yes
Glass windows, no

Especially if you're talking about very small towns/villages with houses only made of log (like the one in your image)

They most definitely did not have glass windows 500 years ago
>>
File: IMG_20160709_132724.jpg (137 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_132724.jpg
137 KB, 960x720
Starter trio for my game. Working on player choices. There are 3 styles of trainer, water, fire, and grass. Quiz at the beginning similar to mystery dungeon to decide with. They complement the starters: a tepid water trainer, jubilant grass, and rascal fire.
>>
>>27061721
goomy and abra I can understand, but why the lillipup blend?
>>
>>27061602
Have you ever studied history while in school? Because glass pane windows existed in 800 AD and probably even prior to that. Glass windows were in almost every town by 1000 AD. And people in the past never built houses mede of logs like that one. Houses were mostly made of rock/stones. And still, we're talking about 500 years in the past, not 5000.
>>
>>27061820
It starts off as a sort of dandelion flower head, Stoutlands mustache will be like the white seeding dandelions.
>>
>>27062220
Not him, but they're talking about windows in a fucking shack in the middle of nowhere in case you haven't noticed. Glass windows were used even in the Roman times, yes, but 16th century is only when they started to become common in buildings other than those of clergy, nobility or city guilds. That's also when the window sizes started significantly increasing, by the way.
So yes, glass windows were in almost every town, like you've said, but that doesn't mean that everyone had the luxury to have them.
>>
>>27062348
That's pretty cool. Post more drawings?
>>
>>27060443
Personally I don't like it. The other anon is right, it looks like there's supposed to be some kind of secret back there.
>>
File: IMG_20160709_150906.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_150906.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>27062672
I have a bunch. The game features about 300 retyped Pokemon, 100 of original typing, and 50 or so fakemon.

Let's see:
Cubone here touches things and it turns to gold. It's said it's golden skull may have once been it's mother. Miners flocked to the mountains to harvest the gold created by this pokemon. When some miners accidentally got turned to gold, they all fled quickly, leaving behind a ghost town and some lonely cubones awaiting their return.

Pikachu line it grass and appears different based on environment.

Clefairy is basically tooth fairy and caught at night after you help npc kid pull out her loose tooth.

Nidoran senpai is normal/poison and because they've been domesticated as basically guard dogs. Their strong parental instinct makes them great guards of the family home.
>>
File: IMG_20160321_234713.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_234713.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>27063645
My phone turned family to sempai. Lord help me.
>>
>>27063703
These aren't yours. These were posted like last year.
>>
File: 14680969224151880049754.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
14680969224151880049754.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>27064123
I posted them in May, yeah. Had hiatus early summer and coming back to it.
>>
File: what.png (77 KB, 493x381) Image search: [Google]
what.png
77 KB, 493x381
>>27060443
How many tiles of these trees are barriers and how many are passable? Because, based on the shadows and how they're placed I have no clue. The biggest pine looks like it blocks 2x2 and you can walk behind like 2x3. And that's enormous. The smaller ones are a LOT less clear. Because there's a gap between where the shadows cover and where the rows are placed. None of them look like they clearly cover WHOLE tiles.

Can you walk along the paths or into the area?
>>
Can someone PLEASE post a link to a working 649/721 Emerald/FireRed patch that includes moves, items and abilities up to gen V? I would find it myself but pokecommunity keeps fucking dying on me no matter how many tries I keep retrying for a live version of the site.
I honestly don't care if it has fairy type or even covers gen VI at alI, I can also take care of the sprites myself.
>>
File: l_53bcb389696bb.jpg (22 KB, 350x210) Image search: [Google]
l_53bcb389696bb.jpg
22 KB, 350x210
>>27060443
I think the very first map looked fine, if you wish to do the sparse trees try making a different impassable "grass" tile.

You can see they did this in the 3DS games, where there are "sparse trees" but they are still blocked off and clearly inaccessible since the grass is darker.
>>
https://hax.iimarck.us/topic/6866/

Pokémon Yellow with Gen II graphics, by the same person who did the Gen II graphics patch for Red.

>>27065465
Pokécommunity is shitty for everyone right now, sorry. It seems every site out there is suffering heavily from the normalfag flood being caused by GO.
>>
File: IMG_20160709_191131.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_191131.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Hey Max, or anyone that's programming savvy:

I want to make it so certain interactions increase teams stats for an in game hour. For instance, sleep in a hotel bed, get increased speed for an hour. How do?
>>
>>27068083
Could you explain these boosts in more detail?
Are they simply a +1 in a given stat or by a certain amount? Also by in-game hour, does it wear of after 60 minutes of play or another type of scale?

Maybe if O-Powers were scripted in, you could trigger one by doing certain things in the ways you want.
>>
>>27068318
Really whatever is the most feasible to program, but preferably it would +1 each party members speed. It would wear off after 60 minutes of play. The idea being that the battles in my game are more difficult, but there are ways to overcome them if you play smart. Talking to NPCs and exploring will help the player find these stat boosts, and then they can utilize them to face a tough gym.

It should be noted that these interactions are only available once per day, but I know how to program that part in essentials.

Due to pollution from factories, potions and other man-made are in short supply and super expensive to buy. Thus talking to NPCs and exploring is vital. Happiness affects a pokemons critical chance, so bitter herbs and such must be used with caution.
>>
>>26996970
i fucked up guys
i'm hacking crystal
the graphics are too big and won't fit now for some reason
shiiiet niggus
>>
>>27068468
If man made items are scarce, I'd change the affect of eating food to restring HP rather than increasing it to act like a super potion or something. You could have different foods with different power levels or side effects set as items like in Joint Avenue.

As for the other stats, I'd try to not over-complicate things and apply a x1.5 stat boost so that it will act as +1 unboosted.

Timed Events are discussed here and are arather simple to implement.
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Time-sensitive_events

In PokeBattle_Pokemon,
Ctrl+F for "if player", and create an array of 6 booleans, or true/false variables, that hold which effects are on below it,.

@powerup=[hp,atk,def,sat,sdf,spe]

if player
>@powerup=[false,false,etc...]

then turn them on with the event using the "script" option on the 3rd action page of the event when activated:

#Attack boost for the first pokemon in the party
>$Trainer.party[0].powerup[1]=true

then, just turn it off with the global switch you created in the tutorial after an hour.

then you'd just create a check for each powerup upon sending the pokemon out in battle and grant the boost.

Hp would be simpler as an event could just give you an item called some thing like "Ice Cream Sandwich".

There are some problems with switching pokemon and boxing them, because they can end up not getting this deleted in an hour if altered in this way.
>>
>>27069359
This helps a ton. The HP boodt one is basically a "big hot meal" which can only be accessed at cafes and campsites and such. There is smaller HP food that are like berries and taken from trees and such.
>>
File: Home.png (165 KB, 640x880) Image search: [Google]
Home.png
165 KB, 640x880
I tried staggering the trees this time, leaving less space to cause confusion.

>>27064485
I'm changing that to be the workshop. right now the perimeter is blocked off with ledges
>>27065978
I think I'd like to make these types of tiles, but just on more open maps like routes
>>
I'm also trying to figure out a way to catch wild pokémon without the use of Pokéballs. I was thinking of replacing it with different types of "bait".
Also, I'm thinking of having only three pokémon on hand at a given time. I may have a "summon" mechanic where one could send pokémon to and from the party using an item.
Also, I may ditch following pokémon for Lambda and have the rival join you instead.

>>27070321
That's a pretty good idea. Looking forward to seeing it.
>>
>>27074115
You could just fluff it as apricorns, I'm pretty sure they're confirmed to have existed in ancient Pokémon times.
>>
>>27074447
Oh shit, that's perfect for a reason I won't get into.
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>27074481
I can't help but feel like apricorns have always been the steam punk precursor to the perfect clean future magiteck that is a pokeball. They still involve teleportation and pocket dimensions. So, I don't think you should really include them in a game set 500 years in the past. I'd you only have a limited number of mons like you described earlier then indont see why not you couldn't use the bait and catch and modify it a bit to make it more robust. Hell, you're a programming wizard. You could even make it so that stuff like friendliness and how long it takes for a mon to obey are affected by how many poison needles you jab into its paralyzed husk before you throw a net over it and drag it away. Something like that at least. Take the opportunity that the lack of a perfect capture and storage method provides and run with it like you are with your sketchbook.
>>
>>27074865
Wow, is that ever unintelligible.
>>
>>27074115
Oh! I had an idea you might also enjoy. So you know how the apricorn guy works? Where you can give him something from a set list of items, and receive something after 24 hours?

So let's say there's a garden. And you can plant 1 of many different "curious" seeds per day. Come back after 24 hours and it grew into a certain grass pokemon. The "thorny curious seed" grows into a budew, etc.

Do this for different types. Flying is caught in bird trap using different bait. Fish in an aquarium with different seashells added. You could even make it one item and the spawned pokemon random.

I just use the apricorn guy event as a base for these.
>>
The Advance Map link in the pastebin is dead, can someone reupload?
>>
>>27075056
Well, I still want to keep the battling aspect .

>>27074865
I'm thinking that the player could throw apricorns like bait and have each work differently for each type of pokémon. The technology wouldn't be advanced enough to create apriballs yet.
>>
what's the best hack that adds new regions? pref gbc
>>
>>27081206
answering my own question, Pokemon Brown
>>
>>27081206
>>27081653
Brown is pretty great.

Maize is good too, though it's in like a six-badge beta.

Bronze has too many memes in it but it's alright despite that.

I think my favorite GBC hack has to be Dark Energy though. The writing at the start of the game is really bad but the route design is fucking god-tier, and the story gets better over time. It's also in a beta but it has more content than RBY, just less than GSC.
>>
Would it bother you in a pokemon fan game if gym leaders weren't type exclusive? If the evil team carried pokemon other than raticate and koffing "baddie" mons?
>>
>>27083252
>Would it bother you if the evil team carried pokemon other than raticate and koffing "baddie" mons?

Of course not, people often hate the lack of variety on Grunt 'mons

I don't hold an opinion on the Gym Leader thing, I tend to like traditional type-based Gym Leaders but changing it up won't make the game shit or anything.
>>
>>27083252
>Would it bother you in a pokemon fan game if gym leaders weren't type exclusive?
Depends on how it's handled.

> If the evil team carried pokemon other than raticate and koffing "baddie" mons?
It actually bothers me when they only carry those "baddie" mons as you call them.
>>
>>27083252
So you mean like normal GF evil teams then?
>>
>>27083252
Do gym leaders like DP where they had a couple off type mons but with moves of that type.
>>
>>27083252
In what ways could a villain's team have variety?
>>
>>27085979
Well villainous teams generally steal Pokémon from trainers, you could give them a ton of Pokémon with that justification instead of everyone just using Zubat and Rattata.
>>
Do you guys have any particular tone settings for the time cycle ? Essential's base one create some crazy contrast. I tries tweaking things around but can't find anything decent.
>>
>>27087751
I have some here if you want to use them. Feel free to tweak them if you'd like.
http://pastebin.com/M4WnNugk
>>
File: DayNightTones.png (42 KB, 511x384) Image search: [Google]
DayNightTones.png
42 KB, 511x384
>>27087751
>>27089253
Whoops, forgot to add screenshots so you can see what they actually look like.
>>
>>27089604
Make the 6 am the 6 pm
Make the 12 pm the 6 am
Make the 6 pm the 12 pm
>>
>>27089604
That's pretty good. Does it have a sunset period towards night-time, or just get gradually darker?
>>
>>27090842
Just gradually gets darker. I might tweak it to have a sunset for an hour or so, though.
>>
>>27064123
Interestingly enough, people occasionally post on this board multiple times.
>>
>>27037077
2bh just make it so there is common color variation for all mons but make a certain one that looks different the "shiny" one
>>
>>27089604
>>27090794
Swap 6PM with Am and you're golden
>>
>>27091323
Are you saying make all pokemon able to be found with different colours, and still be able to find regular shinies?
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.