[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This my third attempt making a starting town. What does /vp/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: Starter Town3.png (193 KB, 1619x925) Image search: [Google]
Starter Town3.png
193 KB, 1619x925
This my third attempt making a starting town. What does /vp/ think? Never used rpg maker xp before
>>
>>26994255
I think you should get a job and start doing something more productive with your life.
>>
>>26994261
But I already got a job, this was just something to waste time on
>>
>>26994255
Its not a square like half the towns so good job.

>>26994270
Don't reply to bait.
>>
Its ok. Better than the one I made. Probably some make/get some custom tiles, though.
>>
It's still pretty generic.
>>
Use actual mountain tiles instead of ledges

Use only one set of stairs for the lower cliff
>>
Looks comfy. Would be nice to see some events/npcs.

- dead space at upper right corner
- ledges with stairs? Usually a corner ledge tile
- paved road is very straight, add some grass/sand tiles on the side to make it a bit more natural
>>
Also, is the hacking general not apparent? I always see threads like this outside of it
>>
Ledges look dumb with stairs, though I like the lab-on-a-hill. Could use a pond somewhere. Seems a little dead, maybe one more house? Overall pretty aesthetically pleasing, though. 7/10.
>>
>>26994255
I'm not sure if it's an engine limitation, but don't follow the pattern of starting towns being two houses and a lab. That's always sucked, especially when we know they can make believable towns and they still give the starting town a population of six.
>>
>>26994351
There's a raging autist who throws a shitfit whenever people post non-hacks in the general, even though the general allows non-hack fangames.
>>
This is using RPG Maker XP? It's hella nice, I may have to look into using this for a fangame.

My only criticisms, layout wise, are the empty space in the top right and the bottom ledge having two sets of stairs, Ledges should match stairwise.

Other than that, it's hella nice. Just make sure you get an NPC in there talking about the wonders of technology.
>>
File: Starter Town3_v.02.png (189 KB, 1620x925) Image search: [Google]
Starter Town3_v.02.png
189 KB, 1620x925
>>26994342
>>26994316
>>26994379
Thanks for the info!
What do you think of this?
>>
File: Starter Town3_v.02.png (286 KB, 1626x921) Image search: [Google]
Starter Town3_v.02.png
286 KB, 1626x921
>>26994479
Here's one with a extra house
>>
The bottom right has unnecessary space you should patch that up. Also the stairs aren't supposed to be that long, make it a one set of stairs. Use mountain tiles as others have said not ledges, and the grass behind the houses should get removed if you can't get to it.
>>
You got some tile errors on your mountain tiles. Use the mountain tiles below the first two to fix the corners...
>>
>>26994479
That looks way less awkward on the cliffs, and I approve of the Viridian-esque Cut item. Still maintain that a little water would spruce up the place, but it definitely has the feel of a quiet little forested mountain burg.

>>26994498
That, on the other hand, looks trashbad. If you're throwing in another house, you'll have to change your layout a bit. That looks pasted on.
>>
File: Starter Town3_v.03.png (295 KB, 1624x922) Image search: [Google]
Starter Town3_v.03.png
295 KB, 1624x922
>>26994523
What about this?
>>
>>26994607
Well, the cropping failed. But there are trees next to the house
>>
File: Starter Town3_v.04.png (193 KB, 1619x917) Image search: [Google]
Starter Town3_v.04.png
193 KB, 1619x917
Here's a better one
>>
>>26994663
That's actually pretty ace; I like that.
>>
>>26994663
Yes Town looking good
>>
>>26994255
wich software are you using? RPG maker?
>>
>>26994663

Nice, make sure that grass is visitable because if you can't get in there then its uneccesary. Fill that space with flowers and fences or something.
>>
>>26994785
Rpg maker xp with pokémon essentials
>>
>>26994663
Very nice. Wouldn't mind a river or a pond somewhere.

Although I'd prefer is Pokemon towns in general had more buildings. It's weird to have three houses and a lab considered a "town" and four houses and a Pokemon Center considered s "city."
>>
Looks nice! Could add some minor details and change the lamp posts.
>>
I wish Couriway town was bigger/had more NPCs. I love the concept of a comfy town northwestern-style with a waterfall and next door to a spooky old mine.

and full of Hexys
>>
>>26994847

Gameplay and Story Segregation.

The game doesn't need 10 houses that don't contain anything interesting.
>>
>>26994663
Nice job, anon. Your town looks very decent and comfy. You could add an Item between the trees somewhere.

>>26994847
please read this:
>>26995149
>>
>>26994663
Looks pretty good, just add NPCs and a bigger lab wouldn't hurt
>>
>>26995149
>The game doesn't need 10 houses that don't contain anything interesting.
But they do anyway.
>>
>>26995149
>>26995191

In that regard, they could give the NPCs more meaning or add other activities in the towns.
>>
>>26995399
I did think of NPCs holding items. But then again I think that entering more than 5 houses for some shit items like potions is too much.
>>
>>26994255
Too big. Starting villages are small.

Condense this into a smaller space. That's your starting town.
>>
>>26995399

I wonder how much the engine could realistically handle. After all it's a game on a small cartridge running on a 3DS, not on a /v/irgin's 4000$ PC master race rig.
>>
>>26994255

I think a small pond would look nice right across from the first lamp post in that empty area
>>
>>26995468
It's barely bigger than Pallet Town, with the same number of buildings.
>>
>>26994255
where can I pirate XP
>>
>>26995535
Not OP, but I think I got it on Pirate Bay.
After about a month of using it had to start rightclicking and running as administrator or it'd say the license expired. So don't freak out if that happens.
>>
>>26995501
Considering most of the game's space is taken up by uncompressed audio and image files, I'm sure it could handle a lot if it was optimized better.
>>
>>26995468
I know it's far from typical, but Aspertia City was a pretty decent starting town that dwarfs all the other starting towns. You do have a point though; it feels more like a second town instead of the starting town, especially with the 3rd house.
>>
>>26995535
Install the trial and Google "RPG Maker XP full version dll" and drop the dll in the trial folder.
>>
I think it looks great but would be interesting to have a starter town in a more different setting
>>
>>26995675
Yeah, I agree. But I don't have the tilesets nor the skill to making something out of the ordinary
>>
>>26995675
Baby steps. GF just made the transition from sprites to full 3D, it will be a while before the story formula formula gets changed up.

That said, Virbank City, Lentimas Town, Laveridge Town and Oreburg City could all be good starting places purely from an aesthetic standpoint. Starting in a city could be interesting.

New Bark Town still comfiest starting town.
>>
>>26994663
Getting real nice, but could still use something more that makes you come back to explore more
like a hidden road, cave, or surfing route
>>
Anyone having a idea for name for the town?
>>
>>26996585
I'm going to pull some weeaboo-toer wapanese and say Yamasa Town.
>>
>>26994255
You know we have a thread for this, right? Next time use catalog
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.