[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you want more (better) story-driven Pokemon games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: 1459456149525.png (1 MB, 2000x1452) Image search: [Google]
1459456149525.png
1 MB, 2000x1452
http://www.strawpoll.me/10652363
>>
>>26993269
Pic unrelated, I assume. Gen 5's story was dreadful.
>>
>>26993302
There he is.
>>
File: wdew.png (272 KB, 440x299) Image search: [Google]
wdew.png
272 KB, 440x299
>>26993302
>>
Yes. Battling could be done postgame and competitively. Give us a reason why we should do the same old 8gyms and elite4
>>
File: 1453947776235.jpg (19 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
1453947776235.jpg
19 KB, 168x168
>>26993318
>>26993380
>maximalist, intrusive story like gen 3 and 4
>unfocused and not based on Pokemon, like gen 1 and 2
>the legendary pokemon have irrelevant themes that don't tie in to the story at all and are incredibly vague, only serving as a object of desire for the bad guys
>meanwhile unlike Rocket, Galactic, Aqua and Magma they are never seen accomplishing their supposed goals of Pokemon freedom, just behaving like generic goons
>Ghestis becomes a less interesting Cyrus clone when his motives are revealed
>Plasma becomes a Team Rocket rehash in BW2
>N is weird and useless and simply serves as rival bloat
But there's big flashy cutscenes of ridiculous unexplained castles appearing so I guess we can overlook the fact that gen 5's story was the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>26993437
The main reason why I liked BW's story was because it was the one that strayed away from series formulaic conventions the most. It wasn't great, but it still felt like a step in the right direction in that regard.
>>
Yes
I'm so sick of every fucking game have an identical story sans B/W. That was the only time they attempted to do anything interesting, and was the first time since 1/2 where the villains had a simple, attainable goal that relied on trickery and underhanded tactics, as opposed to the full retard stories of 3/4/6 which are just "i gotta get da legendary to destroy the world because thats GOOD foir the world/because I want to RULE da new world i make after/ becauseI HATE peplle they should just die"
>>
What do you guys think about all the polls around here lately?

Vote here
http://www.strawpoll.me/10553611
>>
File: 1459982398214.jpg (361 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
1459982398214.jpg
361 KB, 600x700
>>26993437
>>the legendary pokemon have irrelevant themes that don't tie in to the story at all and are incredibly vague, only serving as a object of desire for the bad guys
Are you fucking serious? N and the protagonist are the new "Truth and Ideals" heroes. Hence the final battle with him. Reshiram vs Zekrom.

>>meanwhile unlike Rocket, Galactic, Aqua and Magma they are never seen accomplishing their supposed goals of Pokemon freedom, just behaving like generic goons
That's because it was an entire hoax by Ghetsis. Ghetsis is flat-out evil but his servants aren't. In BW2 they split and some people stayed loyal to him because he was their leader and maybe he rubbed off on them.

I'm not going to continue. You haven't played these games, have you.

The bottom of the line is, BW was the most 'JRPG' a Pokemon game (that is a JRPG) has ever been. And it works.
>>
>>26993269
no fuck that, Gen 5 was probably the pinnacle of the pokemon story, but the Story is always the same. Evil team wants to get legendary, they nearly kill everything, realizing it was wrong catching legendary.

I want the exploration back! Your main goal is catching all pokemons and getting champ, the only reason you had to deal with team rocket was because they prevent you from getting badges.
>>
>>26993645
>Are you fucking serious? N and the protagonist are the new "Truth and Ideals" heroes. Hence the final battle with him. Reshiram vs Zekrom.
And this is never seen in-game, because it really can't be depicted, because "truth" and "ideals" make for shitty dragons, as it turns out. Go figure.

>That's because it was an entire hoax by Ghetsis. Ghetsis is flat-out evil but his servants aren't. In BW2 they split and some people stayed loyal to him because he was their leader and maybe he rubbed off on them.
And yet this is never hinted at until Ghestis's generic moustache twirling reveal at the dead end. Bad writing, bland team.

>I'm not going to continue. You haven't played these games, have you.
Probably got more playtime on White than you kiddo, consider it the second best generation. Its story is still objectively shit and if you can't see that you're probably a literal child blinded by nostalgia.

So did you grow up with gen 4, or are you actually such a babby your first game was from gen 5?
>>
>>26994799
>I never took in any of the story therefore its shit
Nice. Replay it.
>>
>>26994799
Alright. You really haven't played the game. Because at this point you are just screaming falsities. Nice meeting you.
>>
>>26993269
>>26993645
MC+Zekrom/N+Reshiram is much better thematically than MC+Reshiram/N+Zekrom.
>>
I wouldn't mind a lack of serious story, if there was at least interesting and fun character dialogue on a regular basis. Too often it feels like you can skip everything without consequence
>>
>>26994914
I think it works both ways. They're both thematically vague - the player could be fighting for his ideal world, and N trying to show a truth, or the player showing the truth about the world and N trying to force his ideals. I do like the player=Zekrom N=Reshiram combo better, though.
>>
>>26994914
>>26994976
Started out with White cuz I wanted Zekrom, and I made myself get White 2 so I could keep the previous game canon in my head as much as I could, even though I love Zekrom more.

And Hilbert is my favorite trainer, so I liked Zekrom being with him and not the new kids.
>>
>>26994976
> I do like the player=Zekrom N=Reshiram combo better, though.
Me too. Zekrom > Reshiram.
>>
>>26994976
N wasn't actually fighting for truth, he was trying to force on everyone the worldview that Ghetsis forced on him and led him to believe was absolute truth. That's why he lost, because everything isn't as black and white as he thought it was, and there's no such thing as one absolute truth.
>>
>>26994976
I think the truth is people can/do mishandle Pokemon and maybe even abuse them, but that doesn't mean we can't strive to a better world
>>
>>26995142
I guess we really are, Pokemon Black and White.
>>
What I want more than anything is better character introductions.

I wouldn't mind the rivals in XY sucking your cock all the time if they weren't introduced in a contrived fashion. Don't introduce every important character in the game within the first 10 minutes. For chrissake, that's an amateur writing mistake.
>>
>>26994799
>And yet this is never hinted at
Are you saying the player should be made aware of a nation-wide scam that only works if nobody - even the scammers themselves - are not aware its all horse shit?

>objectively shit
There's that word again.
Tell me, anon, what game has an "objectively" good story? for me i'd say Disgaea HoD
>>
>>26995271
X and Y were a mistake period
>>
>>26995271
>rivals in XY
>important characters
>>
>>26995997
Well.....

I think he was refering to most rivals being important

Just like champions or villains
>>
>>26995349
>http://www.strawpoll.me/10652363
Amen,
>>
File: 1330240246641.jpg (378 KB, 700x3500) Image search: [Google]
1330240246641.jpg
378 KB, 700x3500
>>26994914
Depends on the MC.

Hilbert and Reshiram and Hilda and Zekrom for me personally. Though I do prefer N with Zekrom.
>>
>>26994799
>"truth" and "ideals" are never seen in-game
>It is never hinted that Ghetsis is evil
>kiddo

LOVING
EVERY
LAUGH
>>
File: 1466275227385.png (139 KB, 343x356) Image search: [Google]
1466275227385.png
139 KB, 343x356
>story haters are the minority
>>
>>27000884
Why is Hilbert so sexy?
>>
>>26993269
No. I want an open world pokemon game that lets me battle the gyms in any order, with a subtle, non intrusive yet good story and a proper level scaling system.
>>
>>27002083
It's the suit. People always look hotter in suits.
>>
>>27002143
>No. I want an open world pokemon game that lets me battle the gyms in any order

They'd have to make 8+ different sets of teams for each gym (not just the leaders). And the field trainers would have to automatically adjust to your party's current average level. It's a nice idea, but having that kind of freedom in a game leads to more sacrifices than just a directed story and a hell of a lot more work for things most people won't even experience.

Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super hyped for Zelda BotW's story which apparently you have to find out for yourself. True open world works with zelda though because there's no level system. And even then, there's things like items to use for each dungeon they'll have to take into account.
>>
>>27000884
I would totally be in the black faction.
>>
I'd be inclined to say yes if most people's idea of a story for Pokémon wasn't Persona-tier shit.
>>
>>27006518
Vote by your own standards.
>>
>>26998779
>owltair tears
>>
>>26993269
Go watch a movie if you want story. Delta Episode in ORAS was already bad enough with all the scripted story shit, I hope they never have something like that again.
>>
>>27008653
How does it feel to know that 75% of /vp/ doesn't share your opinion?
>>
>>27008686
That I have excellent taste and many of these people need to develop some more to get on that same level.
>>
>>27008653
Go play pokemon go if you wanna catch stuff.

Go play showdown if you wanna battle stuff.
>>
>>26993269

Here's what I want.

GEN 1-2 Team and Rivals. Competent, power/greed-driven, not full of foofy bullshit and lacking ridiculous costumes and demeanors. And none of this fucking "friendship rival" garbage we've been getting. I loved the dynamic between you and Blue/Silver. This menagerie of shitty friends (come on, a pokedex rival? he can't even catch 10 pokemon in a region) we had in Kalos was annoying. And your "rival"? Free XP. Doesn't even fight in gyms anymore, let alone end up at the Elite Four.

GEN 3-4 Intrusive Story. I want the legendaries to threaten fucking up the world, with a GEN 5-6 "Dark" Story. Team Flare really fucked up the mood of the game and the pacing was terrible, but let's not forget, Lysander was about to commit mass genocide using pokemon and his supporters were all for that. Plasma did it a bit better, and the dynamic with N/Ghetsis was really nice, but could've been played better.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.