[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell is Jynx?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: jynx-faint.gif (386 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
jynx-faint.gif
386 KB, 240x180
Around 1999/2000, before it had really appeared a lot, I remember thinking the "black" part of Jynx was just in shadow or farther back behind the hair and that that wasn't actually its skin. Its faint animation in Stadium almost seems to support it being a living shadow thing too, or else the wig part is the "real" Jynx, which I thought fit with it being Psychic. But of course the whole purple skin thing happened and even scenes in the anime from before that indicate the black part really is just skin, and so my original view doesn't hold up.

Obviously the whole blackface angle has been up for debate for decades and I'm really not one side or the other because the design/type/etc. has a lot of weird shit going on. Guess I'm just wondering about people's interpretation of what Jynx actually is/how they perceive it.
>>
>>26985461
Interesting theory though.
The anime is pure bullshit.
>>
File: ntEWlyJ[1].png (467 KB, 871x274) Image search: [Google]
ntEWlyJ[1].png
467 KB, 871x274
>Jynx may be based on ganguro (blonde-haired, tanned Japanese girls). Jynx could also be based on the legend of the Yama Uba, a yōkai which is described as always wearing a tattered red kimono, having whitish-blonde hair, control over snow, dark-colored skin, and large lips. "Yamanba" is also a slang for the extreme end of ganguro fashion. Jynx may also be based on a female viking or the iconic image of an opera singer.

The common theory is ganguro + yama-uba + fat opera singer
>>
>>26985538
She's based on the Yama Uba, the traits associated with the other two things come from the representation of the Yama Uba in Japanese theatre. Furthermore, in modern times the Yama Uba is considered Santa's stand-in which explains that one episode of the anime.

It's really obvious to japanese people but it's lost in translation due to the cultural barrier, just like many things about Dunsparce.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.