[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Five buildings >A city
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13
File: Cianwood_City_GS[1].png (29 KB, 480x864) Image search: [Google]
Cianwood_City_GS[1].png
29 KB, 480x864
>Five buildings
>A city
>>
>>26975087
Friendly reminder cities are huge and the protagonist only sees what he wants to see.

Proof is the FR/LG butler who emerges from a wall.
>>
>>26975087
>Four words
>A post
>>
File: Goldenrod_City_HGSS.png (305 KB, 1330x885) Image search: [Google]
Goldenrod_City_HGSS.png
305 KB, 1330x885
>>26975087
It's safe to assume the cities have more buildings than we see and the regions are larger in scale in general.

We cant all be Goldenrod City.
>>
>>26975111
What butler?
>>
>>26975221
The one on Resort Gorgeous on the Sevii Islands.
>>
>>26975111
And the fact that Petalburg is canonically several miles from Littleroot.
>>
>>26975087
>"Five buildings"
>pic has more than five buildings
>>
File: ever_grande_city.png (183 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
ever_grande_city.png
183 KB, 400x240
>Ever Grande City
>one pokemon center
>>
>>26975163
This.

I personally hope Game Freak never gives into the people who want every city to be upscaled in the games, I hate Lumiose and Mallville (Castelia was okay).
>>
>>26975087
>>26975111
>old RPGs arent on scale

Wew lads, who could have guessed?
Even in recent one like Skyrim, you have to use your imagination to change the scale (unless you think it's normal to cross the entire province in half an hour on foot)
>>
>>26975267
>canonically several miles from Littleroot.
What?
Are you implying that the cartoon canonically overrides the video games, because you'd be wrong
>>
>>26975586
>>26975586
skyrim has in game time.
>>
>>26975267
?

>>26975511
This, however is bullshit. This should not have been called Ever Grande City. Safari Zone Gate wasnt called Safari Zone City.

>>26975538
Also, it'd be a lot of empty space. They couldnt possibly fill every city if they scaled them up. I like stuff like Goldenrod and Castelia where they are portrayed large with a lot of aesthetic buildings, but stuff like that doesnt need to happen to anything but the largest locations. And yes, Lumiose is shit. Mallvile is not bad but not great
>>
>there more people in the city that there are houses
this always triggers my autism
>>
File: 300px-Mistralton_City_Spring_B.png (149 KB, 300x359) Image search: [Google]
300px-Mistralton_City_Spring_B.png
149 KB, 300x359
>4 buildings
>a city
>>
>>26976014
But there's five buildings. The center, two houses, the gym, and the other blue-roofed building.
>>
>>26975707
Which is still too slow compared to world size
Takes like one in game day to cross the country
>>
>>26976070
neither this or the OP image counted the poke centers as buildings
>>
>>26976079
Maybe it's a small country? Though more likely, Bethesda is just lazy. Not every game can have giant map sizes like Just Cause 2 or 3 or something.
>>
>>26975511
This is pure bullshit. You can even get into battles and the battle background will have buildings in it.
>>
>>26975163
This.

Regions are whole lot larger. And time spend in world is much different.

You don't get from picking your starter to champion in a week. The course of your adventure is over months to years.
>>
>>26976145
I think it's because they're really big on density over volume.
>>
>>26976014
to be fair, it also has an Airport.

>>26976364
Not to mention canonical locations that we dont see, like the town your mom buys things from in Johto or the BW2 locations in BW Unova.
>>
Of course they're not in real size. An entire region is not even the size of a real city if you look at the map art
>>
>>26976435
Unless you're one of those dumbfucks that thinks the Pokémon World matches up perfectly with their real world inspirations, in which case Unova is somehow the size of NYC, while Kalos is the size of the entirety of France.
>>
>>26975087
There's 6 building here.
>>
File: 1464962966647.png (621 KB, 716x477) Image search: [Google]
1464962966647.png
621 KB, 716x477
>>26976523
reminder
>>
>>26976637
I take it thats a scale comparison?

Also worth noting Hoenn is 90 degrees clockwise to it's irl counterpart, Unova has non-NYC inspirations like LA and Hollywood, and Alola only has 4 natural islands.

The whole "Pokemon World is the same as ours" is pretty much confirmed bullshit, but I still see people here from time to time defending it, and using the anime/old pokedex entries as "proof".
>>
>>26976692
>80% the same
>"bullshit"

>gen 7 references
>old
>>
>>26976719
Oh don't fucking start.

And, WHAT Gen 7 references?
>>
File: ndfmGTq.jpg (740 KB, 3739x2035) Image search: [Google]
ndfmGTq.jpg
740 KB, 3739x2035
>>26976719
80% the same is still very very different. And even then I'd say 80% is a stretch.

Also dont forget Kalos is close enough to Hoenn to be a "swim" away. Real or metaphorical, it's implied they're close.

>>26976760
He means the random globe in your room.
>>
>>26975111
>FR/LG butler who emerges from a wall.
I had forgotten about him.
That disturbs me now that I think about it.
>>
File: pokearth.png (88 KB, 1100x850) Image search: [Google]
pokearth.png
88 KB, 1100x850
>>26976692
>people seriously think maps like this are true
How is this a better alternative?

It's not like I'm saying pokeworld is earth. The regions are clearly pokemon world analogues to the real-world places they were inspired by, even if they don't match exactly. It would not be far off to imagine them being in the same places on an earth-like planet.

>Game Freak
>putting effort into planetary worldbuilding
>>
>>26977245
>the pokemon planet
>similar to earth in that it has the same percentage of water covering the surface, the same gravitational pull, the same size, etc.
>for all intents and purposes it's meant to be a dupe of planet earth

The only difference is minor geography and the presence of Pokemon. Pokeworld is geographically analogous to Earth. You don't even have to make up head canon shit using screenshots or pokedex screenshots to think this. It's closer to Earth than Westeros is to Great Britain, and Westeros is basically generic Western Europe fantasy.

It's implied Kalos and Sinnoh are close, too. So? The games aren't even in the same timeline anymore, apparently.
>>
>>26977473
>>26977597

PokéAmerica is already absolutely completely different to our Earth.

For example, we have Alola and Unova.

Alola is inspired by Hawaii, but has half as many islands.

Unova is shaped like NYC, but draws inspiration from all of America. For example, Virbank being LA, and PokéStar Studios (literally PokéWood in the Japanese games) is based on Hollwood.

How do you explain this, if the Pokemon Earth is supposed to be the same geography as ours?

Fact is, the Pokémon World is very different to our own. Being inspired by our own, sure. But the geography is clearly different, and it has been an explicitly unique geography since Gen 5.
>>
>>26977597
>The games aren't even in the same timeline anymore, apparently.
No, stop that, right now. This is going to get messy. The PokéWorld debate is autistic enough without bringing that nonsense into it.
>>
>>26977473
>>26977597

Nobody thinks those images are true. Sinnoh is literally the same landmass as HGSS.

>>26977657
This
>>
>>26975663
some NPC in the game mentions how it takes Norman about 30 minutes walking from Littleroot to Petalburg
>>
>>26977657
To be fair, even with Unova and Kalos, one can argue that Gamefreak is just really, really crap at scaling

But yeah, the Alola one is really the clincher that they are definitely not caring to make it an alternate Earth
>>
>>26977762
To be honest, it's been like this for a while now.

Kanto, in the beginning, was very much intended to fit in to our real world. It was literally just based on IRL Kanto in Japan, and there was tonnes of references to other places in the world, such as America.

Hoenn was where things really started to get weird, and they even rotated the island so that it'd have to be facing East if Hoenn was to match perfectly with the IRL counterpart.

The Gen 4, they started to avoid making any references to the real world(and no, the GTS Globe seriously does not count)

HG/SS showed us in the map that Sinnoh is directly north of Johto, again proving that the regions can not match up to their IRL geographical counterparts.

Then Gen 5 showed up, with an American-inspired patchwork Region shaped like NYC, which effectively put a bullet into the idea that it all matches up to our real-world Geography.

OR/AS has Serebii's map in the game as an Easter Egg. Now I DO NOT believe this makes Serebii's map Canon, as it doesn't match up with the Geography of the games. But it DOES tell us that Game Freak chose against just putting a generic IRL map instead.

And then lastly, as you say, Alola is missing half of Hawaii's islands.

So yeah, I think the franchise slowly drifted further and further away of the Pokémon world being our own real world, and now only uses the real world as inspiration, not direct/specific geography choices.

I doubt they'll ever give us a proper canon map though. And no, a generic globe in your bedroom shouldn't be used as proof either, especially when it's literally in the game where half the IRL counterpart is missing, if that makes sense.
>>
>>26977849
>Serebii's map
That map was crap to begin with and it defied several canon information. What the hell was Joe thinking?
>>
>>26977849
SInnoh was just "above" Johto, not directly above it. But otherwise I agree.

I think the real (super obvious) indication that it's a different world is the fact that places of widely different sizes are being turned into regions of more or less similar size.

Also Hoenn and Kalos being close.
>>
File: dude what.png (61 KB, 182x189) Image search: [Google]
dude what.png
61 KB, 182x189
>>26975944
For the first time in months I'm truly speechless
How stupid are you
>>
>>26977931
Apparently he knew it was wrong, but needed to do it like that to save space? I dont know. But yeah, it was a shit map.

>>26977933
Yeah, this. You could argue that obviously, cities and routes aren't to a perfect scale. But comparing small areas of Japan, to NYC, and then to the entirety of France, it gets a bit ridiculous. Can't all just be convenient scaling.

People have to accept that it just doesn't match up
>>
>>26976692
>Unova has non-NYC inspirations like LA and Hollywood
Isn't Virbank supposed to be New Jersey, not LA?
>>
>>26977973
>>26977931
What I hate the most is that the first 3 regions are stuck with that shit for their PokeEarth maps and Johto cant get it's god tier HGSS in game map

>>26977973
The fact that they have to be scaled larger makes the theory even worse
>>
>>26977849
>I doubt they'll ever give us a proper canon map though.

That's the because the Pokemon world is implied to be based on the Earth, and it will continue to be based on Earth until Gamefreak chooses to say otherwise, which they probably won't because it is easy to just make a new region based on a part of the world.

>But yeah, the Alola one is really the clincher that they are definitely not caring to make it an alternate Earth

No it isn't.
>>
>>26978142
Did you literally ignore the entire post there, or what?

The entire post gave numerous examples that imply the Pokemon world has a unique geography.
>>
>>26978000
Well Nimbasa is supposed to be Las Vegas or some shit iirc that's why you go through those deserts before it
>>
>>26978248
I thought it was Coney Island despite the different location
>>
>>26978194
>The entire post gave numerous examples that imply the Pokemon world has a unique geography.

Of course it has unique geography, it has to have unique geography because making it exactly like Earth will not be conducive to game design for making a varied region for a video game that depends on finding Pokemon from varied environments. That's why the regions don't scale, because gamefreak doesn't care. It was always like that since the first generation. The Pokemon version of Kanto is not similar to real life Kanto, because the majority of real life Kanto is just one giant city. However, that doesn't change the fact that region shape is based on Japan, that the region location are analogous to their real life counterpart, and that their position on the "Pokemon World" is similar to their position on Earth, because the Pokemon world is Earth, and we can assume that it is based on Earth until Gamefreak decides otherwise.
>>
>>26978439
different layouts, sizes, shapes, orientations and locations, but still earth because Gamefreak hasnt said it's not?
>>
>>26978470
*based on* Earth
>>
>>26978480
Any fictional planet can be based in earth by just being round and having places.

I think you're making your point right by making it as vague as possible.
>>
>>26977849
>OR/AS has Serebii's map in the game as an Easter Egg
Where?
>>
>>26977849
>HG/SS showed us in the map that Sinnoh is directly north of Johto, again proving that the regions can not match up to their IRL geographical counterparts.

Except it didnt
>>
File: Saffron_City_PO.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Saffron_City_PO.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Biggest city in Kanto.
>>
Why the fuck is vp so autistic over Pokemon geography?

These and the timeline threads have somehow managed to be worst than Zelda timeline theories.
>>
>>26977597

Why can't someone make a map that doesn't cram everything in and make no sense?
>>
>>26980497
Zelda Timeline theories aren't bad because we knew one existed and effort was put into the games to convey it. This is caring about something Gamefreak probably doesn't.
>>
File: Johto_Sinjoh_Ruins_Map[1].png (20 KB, 194x145) Image search: [Google]
Johto_Sinjoh_Ruins_Map[1].png
20 KB, 194x145
>>26980339
The Arceus event takes place at the Sinjoh ruins, a place that is halfway between Johto and Sinnoh. Thanks to how geometry works, whatever direction the ruins are from Johto, so too must be Sinnoh.
>>
>>26975511
Now this i agree with... they could have capitalized on the idea and made an interesting city full of strong players.
>>
>>26980418
>Pokemon Origins

Fuck off tbph famalam.
>>
File: saywhat[1].png (17 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
saywhat[1].png
17 KB, 500x364
>>26980286
One on the right is in-game. One on the left is Serebii's Pokéarth (http://serebii.net/pokearth/) , adjusted for comparison. Worth noting, however, is that ORAS flipped the map horizontally.
>>
>>26980339
Why do you even argue here if you haven't even played the games? See >>26981280
>>
>>26975111
>>26975163
Nice headcanon fags.
>>
>>26981326
Fuck off Richard.
>>
>>26980418
Origins really was a video game abine
>>
>>26981280
This.

Can we put this to rest now, or are people STILL going to bitch about it not matching up like those Japan fanmaps?
>>
>>26981454
>>26981280
>>26981298
Are you retarded?
Hokkaido is north from Kansai
Nothing on the map says it's directly north of it, it's just the general direction

Just like if you had to point toward Sweden on a map of Italy, you'd point toward the north without it meaning it's just north from it
>>
File: 1-japan.png (73 KB, 1022x1108) Image search: [Google]
1-japan.png
73 KB, 1022x1108
My headcanon. I don't care if it's not true.
>>
>>26981486
>Nothing on the map says it's directly north of it
Except for the part where the arrow points directly north of it.
>>
>>26975511
B-but da scale, the protagonist can't see everything!1!
>>
>>26981503
By "directly" I mean at the boder
The arrow point anywhere toward the north
It could be a few kms away like thousands kms way

And if by directly you mean that it point north only instead of north-east, remember than Gen 4 had only 4 directions
>>
>>26981523
>remember than Gen 4 had only 4 directions
I fail to see what that has to do with anything. The arrow itself is a custom made graphic only used in this instance. If they wanted it to point northeast, they would have drawn it to point northeast.
>>
ITT: Autism
>>
>>26981529
Not the anon you're replying to, but that would look really ugly. Using a cradinal direction looks a lot nicer.
>>
>>26981501
Did you know that Regirock, Registeel, and Regice are references to WWII? They inhabit where there were bombings, they have humanoid derailed forms like those affected by radiation, the markings on their face read HTO, and they learn Hyper Beam at level 89 (August 9).
>>
>>26981501
>Hoenn has to be tilted facing East just to make it fit.
>Sinnoh and Sinjoh not being North of Johto like explicitly stated
K.
>>
>>26981605
prove it
>>
>>26981851
But Sinnoh is north of Johto on that map
>>
>>26981983
No, it's North-East.

North is water.
>>
>>26981605
Could Mozart still be alive?
>>
>>26982040
No. Mozart was killed off in the war between Kanto and Kalos 3000 years ago. The three birds are his descendants, but not him.
>>
>>26976079
You could walk from one side of Iceland to the other in a day
>>
>>26980418
>origins
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.