[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would someone go about making a pokemon rom hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 259x194
How would someone go about making a pokemon rom hack?
>>
>>26973291
bump
>>
>>>/google/
>>
>>26974053
>>>>/google/
all the stuff I find is either not helpful or boring
>>
File: monday morning.gif (850 KB, 492x280) Image search: [Google]
monday morning.gif
850 KB, 492x280
>>26973291
>download a rom
>download ten thousand premade hacktools
>sit down
>stare at hacktools
>give up in frustration
>play someone else's game
>>
>>26973291
check the catalog
>>
>>26974208
kek
Do you know what the best tools are
>>
>>26973291
See >>26974208 except for the giving up part.

There's a (probably outdated) pastebin about getting started from /rhg/:

http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

This pastebin only covers Gen 3 hacking, but if you really want to do a Gen 1 or Gen 2 hack it's become a bit more viable due to the games getting disassembled, though Gen 3 is still the most noob-friendly. It should give you some tools and tutorials; if you're looking for a specific thing not listed here it's best to use Google or ask the beginner's lounge in Pokécommunity (Pokécom is a shit site overall but it has the biggest hacking community).

In general, the first things you want to do when learning how to hack are to figure out specific things like how to make a new map, make a script, make a trainer roster, etc., pretty much all the basic tasks you'd need to perform repeatedly.

Also, if you're making a Gen 3 hack, consider using advanced ROMbases, like this for example:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=364889
This FireRed base adds all 721 Pokémon and implements Megas. Keep in mind I don't hack Gen 3 myself so I can't tell you all the best ones.
>>
You don't. Honestly, if you have to ask /vp/ of all places you simply don't possess the skills or creativity.

It sounds fun on the outset, but it's an incredibly frustrating process and you will definitely give up. It's better not to start.
>>
Chances are you'll just give up and whine to us that ROMhacking is too hard. Save yourself some stress and download Pokemon Essentials instead.
>>
>>26975356
Don't listen to this guy, he lets black men pound his wife nightly
>>
>>26973291
get a firered rom, Visual Boy Advance advancemap 1.92, and XSE. Then get Advance Trainer. Then get MrDollsteak's attack and decap. Then get Pokemon General Editor (I think). Done, have fun.

(If you really want around with actual pokemon, get MoveEditor, along with NSE2 and "advance sprite, icon and position" for sprites. MrDollsteaks is actually compatible with Pokemon General Editor apparently, but I loved using YAPE.)
>>
>>26975617
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=364889
>>26975617
oh fuck, skip mrdollsteaks it seems to be outdated
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.