[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did pokemon lose its atmosphere/edge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault (10).jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (10).jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
why did pokemon lose its atmosphere/edge
>>
>>26960737
It did?
>>
>>26960737
Go to Mt. Pyre right now you mouth-breather.
>>
>>26960755
yep

the games are incomparable to what they were and have a completely different feel
>>
>>26960779
It's call aging and nostalgia.
>>
Because of the GB limitations
>>
>>26960737
It went from being exploration driven with a subtle story to being story driven with subtle exploration
>>
>>26960783
this is a myth, like kids nowadays are going to feel anything for pokemon x/y in 20 years time kek
>>
>>26960796
this

gaming is dead. muh story retards killed it
>>
>>26960796
There was no story.
>>
>>26960808
Kids today feel nostalgia for DPP and think they're good though despite them being by far the worst games in the series. Of course people will feel nostalgia for XY in 20 years time.
>>
>kids these days will never get lost in the ice cave
>they will never carry their team of six through tohjo falls and find tyrogue guy, only to realize they have no empty party slots

Johto caves were GOAT
>>
Nostalgiafags are the worst
And Im 31
>>
A big part of the reason why the manchildren of /vp/ have such a hard time accepting the demise of pokemon is because of how magical the games used to be
>>
>>26960880
what the hell is wrong with nostalgia
>>
>>26960901
Nothing, nostalgia is great and I enjoy my memories quite a lot.
A nostalgiafag is when you start going "kids these days" like a 60yo jaded old fart and you cant enjoy anything new
>>
>>26960857
>getting lost in the ice cave
How?
The only cave where you should've ever gotten lost in is Wayward Cave.
>>
>>26960901
Nostalgia is only wrong when people are unable to recognise it and then argue with people about the thing they're nostalgic for.
>>
>>26960737
Because back then, the game didn't tell you exactly what was up, and you weren't given a clear image of what was going on. You had to fill in the blanks, and being a hyper-imaginative child helped you do that.
>>
>>26960888
You know you're one of those too, right?
>>
>>26960737
>calling gen 1 edgy now
underage please leave
>>
>>26960921
But pokemon did used to have a bit of edge that isn't present in the newer games. Whether or not you think that'd better or worse, you can't just deny facts as "nostalgia". You're just as bad as the "nostalgia" dags because you just spout that buzzword whenever anything remotely related comes up without actually reading and thinking about what it is your replying. How are you 31 years old but still haven't learned to think before you speak?
>>
File: tumblr_ntqgtiBcRV1uax9xpo1_250.png (90 KB, 209x223) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntqgtiBcRV1uax9xpo1_250.png
90 KB, 209x223
>>26960737
>atmosphere
>in those tiny ass buildings
what
>>
>>26960924
>as a kid
the sliding ice puzzle was troublesome.

at least I never got lost in viridian forest.
>>
>>26960996
Do you not know how to read?
>>
File: Pokemon6.png (938 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon6.png
938 KB, 1280x720
>>26960737
When did Pokemon become so edgy?
>>
Why do I have a feeling like you're on this board the first time?
>>
>>26961002
>But pokemon did used to have a bit of edge that isn't present in the newer games.
Except it is.
>>
>>26961002
>Gen 1: pokemon are killed
>Gen 5: pokemon can be used to kill and child abuse
>Gen 6: war, genocide and pokemon killed
The edge is still there, even more explicit, but you can't see it because of your nostalgia
>>
>>26960737
DUDE
GHOSTS
LMAO
>>
>>26961074
Can we forget that the supposed good guy from gen 6 took away way more lives than the average JRPG villain?
>>
>>26961083
its not just that, games have lost their feeling of adventure and mystery
>>
>>26960857
Fuck yeah. Platinum sorta recaptured this in Distortion World, though.
>>
>>26961097
I agree, AZ was such a shit character that is definitely better forgotten
>>
>>26961118
What mystery? The only mystery in gen 1 is the abandoned mansion with the journals.
>>
>>26960758
Mt. Pyre was great in RSE, shame they downsized the area in ORAS.
>>
>>26961152
you're completely autistic
>>
>>26961178
Says the one posting >>26961118
>>
File: 1448132249148.jpg (26 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1448132249148.jpg
26 KB, 500x350
>>26961233
not even that other guy but seriously this anon is completely autistic
>>
>>26960779

Nah fuck you

X and Y's forest music is goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556wYYtAueo

And so is the lab's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7XHQSEKDs

They really set the atmosphere which your ignoring
>>
>>26960901
I dont like nostalgia when its used to prove a point
>>
Pokemon losing its edge?

Dont tell me turnback cave in Diamond Pearl isnt the creepiest thing in the game
>>
>>26961178
>no argument
>>
I have never got this. I've enjoyed every game more than the last. The bigger world and graphical improvements are only better for my immersion.
>>
>>26960847
You dont find tyrogue guy in tohjo falls, you find him in Mt Mortar.
Kids today will never know how it felt to get Pokemon 2, Gold and Silver, the first sequels. It was not another generation, we didnt knew at the time that we d end up having 7 generations, it was just Pokemon 2 to us, and as a sequel it was an amazing game. New Pokemon, new region, we could go back to Kanto, pokegear, breeding, shinies, two new types to fix the broken Gen I, and de could evento trade our bros from Gen I. You kids can talk about shitty mon distribution and you ll be part right, but Gen II was the best sequel ever and you will never be able to appreciate it
>>
>>26960880
You're also probably a furry and or NEET
>>
>>26963649
The only thing that is objectively good about gen 1 and 2 is that it wasn't totally clear we'd get stuck in a formulatic model.

Yes, gen 2 had team rocket, 8 gyms, elite 4 and all, but it was deeply tied to the previous game, which made it seem like a proper sequel. By that time, we'd never guess RSE would put the games in an endless loop.
>>
>>26963789
Nice projection
>>
>>26960737
GF grew up.
>>
>>26966690
Why the fuck did you bumb this thread
>>
>>26960796
This would be ok if they didn't have shit stories. A good example of them doing in correct is BW1
>>
>ITT: MUH NOSTALGIA WAAH WAAH I WANNA BE A KID AGAIN ;___;

drink bleach, all the games have their own moods and atmosphere, I dont feel any different playing Fire Red than I would Black 2 in some autistic "muh atmosphere feels" kinda way like these franchise ruining genwunners do
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 800x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 800x998
>>26960737
>Kanto
>atmosphere
>>
>atmosphere/edge

Gen I: Didn't have it.
Gen II: Had it.
Gen III: Had it.
Gen IV: Had it.
Gen V: Had it.
Gen VI: Didn't have it.
Gen VII: Will hopefully have it.
>>
>>26968329
Then kill yourself you emotionless faggot.
>>
motherfuckers that keep interrupting you every single step you take into a town/route killed any sense of adventure the series had.

yes im looking at the XY 'rivals', stupid pieces of shit
>>
>>26968504
Take off your fucking nostalgia glasses and look at how you are legitimately incorrect about how the newer games lost that "edge" when gen 1 never even fucking had it. Just look at >>26968463
>>
File: 1460477461777.jpg (102 KB, 916x690) Image search: [Google]
1460477461777.jpg
102 KB, 916x690
>>26968504
Not being blinded by nostalgia doesn't mean being emotionless and to prove that I can assure you in this moment I'm feeling a lot of pity for you
>>
I don't think OP meant 'edge' as in violence. The new games have plenty of that. It's more that nothing feels like a threat anymore. Team Rocket wasn't threatening because of what they'd do to the planet, they were threatening because of what they'd do to you, the player character. Meanwhile, fighting Team Flare felt like a theme park ride. Like they weren't actually going to blow up the planet or whatever, and the storyline was just a performance to entertain the player in-universe. Kalos in general feels like Disney World, a beautiful place where everyone and everything is there to serve you.
>>
>>26968598
Team Rocket were never a threat at any stage.
Only Aqua/Magma got close since they nearly caused the world world to be destroyed.
>>
>>26968598
Team Rocket was no danger to you at any point in the story; meanwhile Flare and Neo Plasma attempt to kill you for stopping them
>>
>>26968574
>pokemon literally killed by genuinely selfish crime organisation
>secret scientific experiments made on pokemon
>one town is literally a graveyard
>lol its just nostalgia
You're over-correcting yourself. Gen one had a specific atmosphere and edge that isnt present in any other game. Doesnt necessarily make it better or worse, but people that prefer the way gen one was are obviously going to like it nore than the newer gens. Its got nothing to do with nostalgia
>>
>>26968798
>tons of pokemon killed by a selfish king
>Evil team tying pokemon to rocks for sacrifice route below their secret base
>Said route is literally a graveyard

XY seems to handle the same things as well
>>
File: Kalos_Route_10_XY.png (543 KB, 371x633) Image search: [Google]
Kalos_Route_10_XY.png
543 KB, 371x633
>>26968798
>>26968598
Team Rocket is the LEAST threatening team. What they'd do to you, the player character? Defeat you? Drop a key on the ground? Wow, so threatening! Meanwhile Flare dropped a fucking base on your head. Bombed a fucking TOWN. Plasma's boss was to mad that he intended to kill the player on the spot.
The most Rocket has done is killing a Marowak. That's it. By comparison the second least violent team, Galactic, blew up a lake full of water Pokemon.
The GOOD guy that you're supposed to feel bad for in XY has killed thousands of PEOPLE and Pokemon. Scientific experiment? You mean like Genesect and other shit?
Meanwhile Giovanni gets beat by a kid a few times and disbands his team together with throwing his lifelong dream into the cesspool. Whoo-fucking-hoo.

If it's not nostalgia clouding your vision i don't know what it is.

Why do you go and illude yourself and lie to other people to make it seem your opinion is more correct than theirs?

Awful. This is why people hate genwunners. Can't stop shitting on other games that they don't play while overpraising the game that they ALSO don't even play anymore.
>>
>>26968937
The OP is probably a bait but theres alot of people like him that shit up the franchise

>LE WE SHOULD GO BACK TO KANTO WITH THE ORIGINALS ONLY DESPITE ME NONT REMEMBERING LIKE 80 OF THEM XDDD
>>
Good to see OP getting BTFO at least. Retarded post, but thank God you guys are putting some right on his head.
>>
>>26969748
Any (insert region here)baby deserves to be purged

but genwunners desrrve it more since they dont know shit about the franchise and they actuvely think Kanto was some godsend that cant be compared to when it actually only had the hypest moment in the franchises history(pokemania) which gen 2 followed since gen 2 was hardly a generation to begin with just more gen 1 shilling. but if someone picked up the games for the first time gen 1 wouldbt be the first choice
>>
>>26960834
The story was what you make up as you go along :^)

Alternate shitpost: Maybe the story was just too subtle for you to notice :^)
>>
>>26968821
If you read what I posted properly instead of just writing your predetermined spiel for the tenth time you'd realise I used the word "specific" I never said other gens didnt have atmosphere or an edge kr whatever, I just said gen ones (abd frlg by extension) did in fact have edge and atmosphere that isnt present in later games, because it changed. Not for better or worse, just different.
>>
>>26968937
When did I say team rocket wasn't the least threatening? You're just making a whole argument out of a strawman you invented to push a point no one is arguing. I said they were the most SELFISH. As in they had no noble goal like plasma or flare or magma or aqua, they were just a tesm of bullies and criminals for the sake of bullying and crime. Thats all I was saying.

Sucks that you missed out on pokemania, but theres not really any point crying about it at every oppurtunity you get. Just play the games like everyone else, its not a competition
>>
>>26968552
>motherfuckers that keep interrupting you every single step you take into a town/route killed any sense of adventure the series had.
While we're still complaining about shit that never happened, I fucking hated it how your rival in Gen 1 would randomly challenge you to a battle right after you just beat a gym and you're two tiles away from the Pokemon Center with half your team already weak from the battle.
>>
>>26960834
Its about two kids thats start with nothing and go on an adventure to collect pokemon and become the strongest trainers in the world, which they end up achieving, while at the same time taking down a criminal organisation. Just because there where technical limitations that didnt allow for big flashy cutscenes doesn't mean that there wasn't a story.
>>
>>26968463
Autism.
>>
>>26970048
I never had a problem with that. It kept you on your toes.
>>
>>26969748
>>26969938

Reading through the thread it sounds more like OP succeeded in making a bunch of whiney babys like yourself throw a hissy fit over preferences. You guys are pathetic lol
>>
>>26970063
Collecting is not an adventure, and sports isn't one, either, because there are no stakes.
>>
File: 20160704_172203.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
20160704_172203.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
>>26970037
>Thats all I was saying.
How about all those super ebin points like the graveyard city? Why mention ANY of those points at all if they're basically shared by every gen, sometimes even in bigger and better quantity? Why say shit like "what they'd do to the player" when they do absolutely nothing?
There's no edge at all in gen 1 outside the Pokemon Mansion and Lavander Town, or at least not as much as there's in any following game. Any of that points on that list doesn't need to exist because that list doesn't need to exist, period.

Arguing for atmosphere is a thing as it is subjective, but why are YOU inventing yourself an "edge" that is bigger than it is in reality?

>Sucks that you missed out on pokemania, but theres not really any point crying about it at every oppurtunity you get.
Aah, the good ol' "if he doesn't agree with me he's underage", which automatically makes your points correct and 100% undeniable. I love it.
>>
>>26970138
What's that got to do with story?
>>
>>26971137
Basic story structure. Look it up.
>>
I was going to make a fuckhuge post about it at some point, but I think this picture sums up why a lot of XY felt so fucking stupid. Bad writing that tries to be like a children's book, in short.

What would a scientist say about the poke ball factory being held hostage?

If the poke balls are stolen by team Flare, we
>won't be able to capture pokemon anymore
>can't keep pokemon as out partners

Instead it writes it in just about the most infantile way imaginable. And for what? That was also why your """friends""" are so shit, with the exception of Calem/Serena they talk like fucking five-year olds. Add in the Japanese obsession with France being some kind of idealised romantic wonderland and you have the soulless fucking mess that is XY. ORAS has its fair share of problems, but I didn't notice anything about the writing or atmosphere that bothered me, at least.
>>
>>26971208
More proof pokeballs are a brainwashing device.
>>
>>26960796
hopefully zeruda will show them that exploration driven is a good idea.

PLS GF give me a my oldschool Pokemon back !
>>
>>26968463
>Gen I: Didn't have it.

C'mon, don't cut Lavender Tower short. I know some underage overrate Lavender Town/Tower because "muh creepypasta," but the area and ghosts sincerely give a good atmosphere.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.