[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell are Voltorbs and Electrodes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 38
File: realistic_pokemon.jpg (21 KB, 280x239) Image search: [Google]
realistic_pokemon.jpg
21 KB, 280x239
What the hell are Voltorbs and Electrodes?
>>
Animated pokeballs
>>
>>26939355
Not that. They're animate Poké Balls.
>>
Pokéballs that were hit by moonbeams, just like Grimer and Muk are piles of sludge that were hit by moonbeams
>>
God, I hate "realistic" Pokemon so much. They literally trigger my autism.
>>
>>26939355
>What the hell are Voltorbs and Electrodes?
Incorrect plural forms of Voltorb and Electrode
>>
>>26939370
Did you see that artist's interpretation of ghost pokemon?
>>
File: Dragon-Warrior-Cannibox.jpg (57 KB, 470x600) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Warrior-Cannibox.jpg
57 KB, 470x600
>>26939355
They are the Mimics of the pokemon world. Pokeballs in the wold are like treasure chests. Voltorbs and Electrodes are traps disguised as pokeballs.

That also explains why they are so fast.

P.S. Fuck realistic pokemon you fagshit.
>>
>>26939355
They sure as shit ain't armadillos. That artist has talent, I'll admit, but for fuck's sake, the Gengar line aren't bats and Giratina isn't a giant bug.
>>
>>26939507
He also drew Honedge as a giant bug and Trevenant as octopus inside of a tree. They're in the Ninetales image by him.
>>
>>26939491
Was gonna say this. Of course, they never really explain what the hell they are, unlike Amoongus where it is clearly a mushroom pretending to be a Pokeball.
>>
Robits.
>>
Bull Testicles
>>
>>26939507
I actually like Giratina as a giant bug.
>>
>>26939528
That is exactly what they are is mimics.
>>
File: tumblr_nmpvagggQ01qff956o1_1280.jpg (296 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmpvagggQ01qff956o1_1280.jpg
296 KB, 1280x880
>>
>>26939650
These are some of his best ones
>>
>>26939650
>Tentacool is "the jellyfish pokemon"
>Better make it a squid

I swear to god this guy does this on purpose
>>
>>26939355
The Richardex says they were first found in Pokeball factories, so I figure they are either
>beings made entirely of electricity (like Rotom) inhabiting Pokeballs
or
>apricorns that have been brought back to life and given intelligence from electricity a la Frankenstein's monster
>>
All these silly anons.
It's obvious that Voltorb and Electrode are Pokémon.
>>
>>26939721
Pokeballs are pokemon according to James:
https://youtu.be/9WIwFrvAOoE
>>
>>26939491
>They are the Mimics of the pokemon world
I wish they were like mimics.
Seeing a Pokeball transform into a real monster would have been cool.
>>
>>26939767
Hello again, Richard.
>>
>>26939633
Mimics are at least described in D&D to be shapeshifters, and not actually animate carnivorous chests.

Whereas Voltorb and Electrode have no actual explanation of what they are, just happen to be monsters in the form of Pokeballs.
>>
>>26939679
They are clearly based on both, though ultimately Tentacruel has more in line with the manowar.

Tentacruel has eyes and a beak. Jellyfish have neither - but squid do.
>>
>>26939355
mimics
>>
>>26939794
Good thing we aren't talking about D&D but Pokemon.
>>
>>26939355
My favorite theory is that they are Pokeball's possessed by either Ghost pokemon, or the ghosts of pokemon that died in them.
>>
>>26939507
Thats just his interpetation. I really like most of his ideas. I like it that way much better than just drawing "realistic" ghost or object.
>>
>>26939869
sounds legit
>>
>>26939837
>They're mimics
>But mimics are this
>But this is Pokemon!

Please stop being bullheaded.

Every other living object in Pokemon is more or less explained why it looks like that/that it's something possessing an object.

Except Voltorb and Electrode, which makes them strange.
>>
>>26939491
shitty mimics at that

>>26939950
they're terrible pokemon with defenders trying to justify the shitty design on a monster concept where it fails at
>>
>>26939869
Except the objects possessed by ghosts in Pokemon, have the Ghost type.

I could see them being normal Pokeballs that, through a Frankenstein-level "electricity can do anything" event, come to life.
>>
>>26939955
>they're terrible pokemon with defenders trying to justify the shitty design on a monster concept where it fails at

Nah, they're fine Pokemon for what they are, you need to tone down how made you are.

I still think Amoongus does the concept better.
>>
>>26939975
exactly

amoongus does it better and properly, if because of the tongue in cheek concept

electrode does not, rather it's a shallow interpretation of a mimic
>>
>>26939986
>rather it's a shallow interpretation of a mimic

Mimics are already shallow concepts whose only purpose is to make dungeons harder. Electrode does exactly that.

I don't even like Electrode, but not because it's not doing some completely fictional concept up.

The only thing I would want them to have is Arena Trap.
>>
>>26939965
Well, Rotom got the Ghost Type retconned out of its appliance forms.

Granted, Rotom isn't exactly a ghost in the strictest sense, and has dual-types to contend with, but there is a precedent.
>>
>>26940006
only if you see it as a gameplay perspective, not the lore

mimics not only mimic treasure chests, but they also have some "sense" in their design, from changing into a monster to hiding that aspect

Electerode doesn't do that properly. Unless part of Electrode's innate ability is to change size, no trainer would see a huge ball as an item ball.
>>
>>26939950
>>But mimics are this
Mimics are creatures disguised as treasure chests. Pokeballs are treasure chests and they are disguised as that. Just because the original source material had them as shape shifters doesn't mean shit when they have become iconic in countless games for being just treasure chests that turn out to be traps. Nothing strange about it. It's not like this is new info. This has been the consensus for the past 20 years. Like mimics they are fast and have a powerful attack that can kill an unsuspecting player. They are designed to surprise and trap the player.
>>
>>26940024
>but they also have some "sense" in their design, from changing into a monster to hiding that aspect

I'm having a hard time parsing this sentence. Are you saying they have 'sense' because they're shapeshifters? Because that's expected of any sort of shapeshifting creature.

But there are endless shapeshifting creatures. Mimics are specifically creatures that pretend to be valuable items.

It's clever for Electrode, because the game punishes you for being complacent with your suspension of disbelief. Sure, you understand that the Pokeball sprite can't really be what the item is - why would a potion be inside a Pokeball? But you accept that it's the digital shorthand for items in the game.

But you neglect to remember that Pokemon also have overworld sprites. And this is Electrode's.

It's fairly clever, for what it is.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
>>26939924
Not that anon btw, but I'm the opposite of this. I like to see the sprite, artwork, and 3d models and think "based on its looks, description and function, what would this thing look like if it jumped from this animu-looking dimension into the real world?". The answer to that, when we're talking about Voltorbs, is clearly not a fucking armadillo. If we talk about Giratina it's clearly not a giant bug, its legs are big and thick not thin and segmented like a bug's. If we talk about Honedge, it's DEFINITELY not a motherfucking dragonfly or whatever that was. It's not about finding a real life animal and painting it the colors of a Pokémon, it's about taking a Pokémon and give it the feel of something that could exist outside your house without sacrificing what makes that Pokémon's core concept and design what it is, I believe the best "realistic" Pokémon appear when you simply de-anime-ize what's there and make it real while still making it work without putting a stop to the fantastic concepts that make them what they are. If my Dedenne looks happy as shit, it should still look happy as shit irl, pic related there are animals that look goofy and happy and not 100% boring and generic, don't paint a fat hamster or mouse orange or yellow. Don't stack animals, objects and some paint on top of each other to make it "look" like the Pokémon from afar. Let it be the same thing, let it exist in our reality through the drawing. Just. Draw. The. Fucking. Pokémon.
>>
>>26940067
>Mimics are creatures disguised as treasure chests.
Right
>Pokeballs are treasure chests and they are disguised as that.
Electrode are never stated to be disguising themselves as Pokeballs. In fact, nothing implies they're doing anything duplicitous. They're found in power plants, either absorbing power, or being used as power sources themselves. You're the idiot wandering into a highly dangerous abandoned power plant or clearly booby-trapped criminal hideout.

People forget that half of Electrode's design is a bomb, an explosive booby trap, similar to Koffing being a landmine.

Electrode are fast. What is more important is they explode.

They aren't just living Pokeballs, they aren't just functionally mimics
>>
File: quokka2.jpg (196 KB, 656x403) Image search: [Google]
quokka2.jpg
196 KB, 656x403
>>26940095
Also, excuse my autistically long rant. Maybe another Quokka pic will make up for it.
>>
>>26940102
There are literally electrode sitting in a room next to a master ball and a nugget in one of the buildings you fight team rocket in.
>>
>>26940069
they have sense because they put unsuspecting players into thinking they are chests

electrode doesn't because it can't be at the same size as the item ball

and no, don't give me that crap about overworld sprites not matching, DQ did it fine by turning the chest into a monster, which actually makes sense, nothing about electrode has "turn into a large pokeball" after interacting with an unsuspicious item ball

compare that to Amoongus, which had a deliberate design that works well with the perspective
>>
>>26940148
Thank you for supporting my point.

Team Rocket is using them to booby-trap what is clearly a room full of valuables they've stolen. This doesn't mean the Electrode rolled over and sat themselves next to the items for fun.

There are literally Electrode being used as batteries for Team Rocket in GSC.
>>
>>26940158
Do you honestly think that the item you found, deep in a cave, where no one has ever been, is inside a Pokeball?

They are graphical shortcuts, get over it.
>>
>>26940163
Oh I didnt notice the part where you mentioned the booby trapped hideout. Nevermind I retract my argument.
>>
>>26940102
I think I see where our disagreement lie. I see Voltob and Electrode as mimics because they are identical to items in the overworld. You are just talking about the root of their design, unrelated to how they are used in the game as fake items.

I don't know man. I can't think of a better explanation for their design than being mimics. They might be mines but that seems to tie in with mimics or traps. The are "ball" pokemon and they look like pokeballs and they are ofter suggested to be confused with pokeballs. Unless there is a better theory than they being mimics it the best and (to me) most logical theory available.
>>
>>26940203
I'm not arguing they're not based in the concept of mimics, which is pretty common in RPGs. I'm just arguing they're also based on traps in general, and explosives in particular (like Koffing).

I'm just saying they're not exactly based on mimics, because mimics are explicitly shapeshifters taking that form to surprise adventurers, while nothing implies the Voltorb and Electrode are taking anything other than the only form they have.

They look like Pokeballs, yes, and people often mistake them for them, yes, but it's not like it's their end game to sit until someone picks them up, then explode themselves into fainting.
>>
>>26940182
...you don't know about item balls?

holy shit you've been playing pokemon for god knows what and you never thought of them being inside balls?
>>
They're pokeballs that were exposed to energy and given life as pokemon

Where's the confusion?
>>
>>26939770
Foongus and Amoongus do that
>>
>>26940262
You mean the graphical shorthand, with a shoehorned explanation that is never stated in any of the games (and the only 'source available' is a Bulbapedia article with no sources explaining it).

If you've got evidence of the games ever telling you that the items are literally held within item balls, in caves at the bottom of the ocean, I'll certainly read it and maybe amend one of my points.
>>
They're litter, discarded Pokeballs that still contain a Pokemon, trapped inside.
>>
>>26940266
The confusion ultimately stems from the fact that at no point, not even the infamously dubious Pokedex, is this explicitly stated.

There is constant "it is a mystery how they are made", but no confirmation, not even "sludge that was exposed to x-rays from the moon" level explanation.

I personally think they're Pokeballs that have absorbed enough electricity to come to life, but implication is not enough for some people.
>>
>>26940236
In the original D&D they might have been shape shifters but in most games they are just chests that turn out to be monsters. That is exactly what Voltorbs are.
>>
If Voltorb are living Pokeballs, how come there are no Grass-type versions from the ones made from apricots?
>>
>>26939370

me too. It's always "how grotesque can we make it"
>>
>>26939491

This is bullshit. It's just some crap some idiot made up to justify their crappy design.
>>
>>26940350
This is certainly true, but that still means they're not based directly on mimics, just taking influence in making another 'dangerous treasure' Pokemon.

I'm just not ready to say Voltorb is based on the mimics from Dragon Quest, because that sounds a little silly.
>>
>>26939355

Literally nobody knows. Voltorbs just sort of showed up one day at a Pokeball factory. It's nothing naturally-occurring, its parts are all manmade. But nobody has any idea where it comes from or what the fuck it is.

That little tidbit makes Voltorb cool in my books. It seems boring but it's actually a big mystery.
>>
>>26940378
This is bullshit. It's just some crap some idiot made up to justify their crappy opinion.
>>
>>26940398
Maybe it IS well known, but Sliph Co refuses to admit they accidentally created a Pokemon that causes huge problems for electrical centers and is extremely dangerous for bystanders.
>>
>>26940303
>graphical shorthand

they should have updated it then to this age, but they kept it, even made unique item ball graphics for TMs

it honestly makes more sense (keeps item fresh) than the item just being exposed to the elements

also there was concept art of item ball being on grass, but I can't seem to find it. I remember seeing it posted here once though.

>>26940350
and in said games their chests-turn-into-monsters don't hinder their design
>>
>>26940120
What are you apologizing for? You're completely right. Your post should be screencapped and spread around.
>>
>>26939507

I like the idea that Vaniluxxe is actually a spider
>>
Supposedly, they are pokeballs that were given enough of an exposed specific shock to turn them into pokemon
>>
Electrode has a height of 3'11 and a weight of 146.8 lbs. (66.6kg). Assuming that it has the shape of a perfect sphere, of which the diameter is its height, one could easily calculate its density: 73.6kg/m3. As the density of water is 1000kg/m3, Electrode should be easy for it to float on water while carrying something as heavy as 2,000 pounds (838kgs). Despite this, Electrode can't learn Surf
>>
They are Pokemon that look like Pokeballs.
>>
>>26940793
Being able to float doesn't mean you could learn surf
>>
>>26940793
That means it can float. It doesn't mean it can swim. It's a ball.
>>
>>26940793

I don't think anyone ever actually checked any of those numbers to make sure they made sense.

Also, how would you ride it across the water? It's a slick wet metal sphere bobbing around on the surface, you'd just slide off. There's nothing to hold on to.
>>
>>26939650
>Kyogre is orca-like
>better make it a mosasaur
>>
File: boiiii.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
boiiii.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>26939650
I met this faggot at a Con once. I pointed out how far he strays from original concepts and he got butthurt as hell
>>
>>26940882
To be fair, it's a composite, Kyogre's supposed to be ancient, and a straight Orca would be boring as hell.
>>26942533
How did that even come up?
>>
>>26942533
Dude, that's kinda mean. Well done.
>>
>>26942533
I love you
no homo
>>
>>26939428
the fucking insects? ho yeah, that shit drive me crazy every tiem
>>
>>26939650

I like these

Despite how stupid they are

I like how he tries for the realism
>>
>>26942653
Well those are the better ones. His other works, however?

>Better make the Meganium line tortoises just because!
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 610x343
Is this supposed to be phantump and it's evo?

They are fucking squids in tree's?
>>
>>26942689

>Honedge is a bug

Here we fucking go again
>>
>>26942689
You know, there's an explanation for this, and it's actually pretty biologically plausible. But I doubt any of you fucks care.
Like, really, what's wrong with it? I hate a lot of his designs (ninetails and Groudon come to mind), but I think your guys' hated of designs like his Trevanant, Giratina, and Gengar are a misinterpretations of the purpose of his little project; it is not "what would pokemon look like if they had real-life levels of detail and weren't as cartoonish", but rather, "if pokemon was a series where the designs were more-or-less cartoon versions of real animals, what would those animals look like, given that the evolution of the species in this world split off from those in our own at relatively late points?" This might seem increadibly nieche to some people, and perhaps it is; even his good designs require an appreciation for and understanding of speculative biology as much as they do a love of pokemon.
>>
>>26942707
>complaining that he turned it into a living creature instead of literally the same thing but detailed textures

Here we go again
>>
>>26939355
Batteries.
>>
>>26942781
You're defending his laziness and complete disregard of the original design. Anyone with the set of skills can take a bunch of cartoon creatures, choose a random animal (like >>26942707 said, a bug in this case) and make it have the same palette and overall shape of that creature. But it requires creative thinking to make the creature's design work in real life organically without shitting all over the main concept. Honedge is fairly easy because it's my mom's sword with a ghost inside it, so you don't get to display shit about your creative mindset, it's too literal and fantastical, but making it a bug just because is not anymore creative specially when the design says nothing about it being a bug. If like >>26942759 said the artist is looking it from the point of view of "what would it take for something to evolve to look and work as a Honedge", he failed, because that dragonfly can definitely not pick itself up and cut someone's arm. I think the most offensive ones are things where he could've followed the original design AND keep the concept while making the work as a biological creature (no flying ghost swords) like Giratina or Gengar... oh man, he has something against ghost-types doesn't he? quick, someone post more of his realistic ghost Pokémon.
>>
>>26942881
That's just like, your opinion man
>>
>>26942881
>he could've followed the original design AND keep the concept while making the work as a biological creature (no flying ghost swords) like Giratina or Gengar
And that's what he did with both of them within the bounds of his shtick, and both turned out very well. What part of this do you disagree with, and why?
>>
>>26939355
Why do people hate these so much, so mymuch so that the feel the need to aggressively voice their opinion every single time they see it? You do realise it doesnt effect the actual source material in any way, right? Its just an interesting interpretation. Is it just literal autism? I don't know how else to explain it. They look cool
>>
>>26942533
>hey d-do you realise how far you stray from the sauce material

>yeah bud, its not meant to be 100% accurate to the source material. Just my idea of how the pokemon could possible exists biologically in our world

>b-butthut as hell
>>
File: Thinking Rick.gif (762 KB, 474x266) Image search: [Google]
Thinking Rick.gif
762 KB, 474x266
>>26939355
>>26942689
>Pokemon aren't all animals
>Try to make them realistic
>"Better turn pokemon that clearly weren't designed to be animals, into animals!"
Is making a mechanical mimic or a paranormal sword REALLY THAT HARD?
I mean, all you had to do was make Voltorb and Electrode look more robotic, and it would already make them look more "realistic".
I mean, I get the that he tried, but it will ultimately ruins the Pokemon's original design concepts and, ironically, only ends up making them MORE impractical.
Unless I wasn't aware armadillos should self-destruct and dragonflies should cut things.
>>
>>26942881
>You're defending his laziness

No. Drawing Honedge literally as Honedge but just with more detail would be lazy. Reinterpreting it into a living animal takes actual thought and some of the results are very creative. He made it a bug because no other animal would capture its silhouette that well.
>>
File: _gengar__by_arvalis-d5j4zw9.jpg (133 KB, 1152x694) Image search: [Google]
_gengar__by_arvalis-d5j4zw9.jpg
133 KB, 1152x694
>>26942881
>>26942933
Oh, and here's his Gengar.
>>
>>26942979
That's cool as fuck
>>
>>26942974
>Designing shit that's can't biologically work in our world biologically work in our world
That's like making a realistic Sonic, that isn't going to end well
>>
>>26939355
>>26939650
>>26942689
>>26942979
I love these. Got any more?
>>
>>26940095
What is you autists and no understanding the simple fact that Arvallis«s entire shtick is drawing a pokémon like something that could actually exist IRL? Sure he could draw a Sword and call it Homedge, bu by IRL rules swords are not living things, so when he draws Honedge, changes have to be made.
>>
>>26942881

I think it was pretty obvious from the bio he gave honedge that he just gave up and decided to fuck around with it.
>>
>>26942988
Why not? Looks like its working to me. Why do you hate something just for existing. I think its a rad as hell idea. There are other artists you draw pics the way you want them. Why not just focus on those instead?
>>
>>26942975
>be arvallis
>decide to draw honedge
>because my gimmick is portaying renditions of pokémon that could work as living thing using the logic and constraints of the real world, have to redesign honedge because paranormal posessed swords are not a thing
>12 years old still don't understand and keep complaining why I literally didn't draw a eye on a sword
>>
File: Realistic_baby.jpg (148 KB, 1006x1280) Image search: [Google]
Realistic_baby.jpg
148 KB, 1006x1280
>>26942995
Yeah. Take this.
>>
>>26943032
What is the point you are trying to make? This is the exact opposite of what those other pics are doing
>>
>>26942988
You have to remember that this shit is intrinisically tied to the origins of Pokemon. The creator was a literally autistic zoology freak who made a fantasy world which was watered down due to context, tech limitations and his target audience; REALISTIC realistic pokemon are just fleshing out the series in a way that the creator (rather than the fans who only received the finished, fantastical product) would likely approve of. I don't think Avralis (or however you spell it) is perfect, but a handful of his designs (Gengar, Trevanant, Arcanine, Lugia) get pretty damned close.
>>
>>26943029
See
>>26942988
It's his fault for building some stupid arbitrary rules just to draw something that, no shit, wouldn't work in the real world and instead of just saying "you know, this is a stupid idea" instead he goes "I'll just butcher the Pokemon's designs to fit my shitty narrative"
>>
>>26943055
But why is it such a stupid idea? What makes this specific set of rules he imposed on himself a "stupid idea".

Sounds to me like you just personally don't like it and are sperging out for no reason
>>
>>26943048
Pokemon haven't been animals since day one. Literally the first pokemon that was designed was a fucking kaiju.
Pokemon has never been realistic, so forcing it into something it never was is only going to end terribly.
>>
>>26942975
>Again, it's his Shtick. No-one's saying it's superior to other shticks. It's just that the less realistic the pokemon, the more fun it is as an artist with such a shtick to draw, vs. run-of-the-mill shit where the groundwork's already done for you.
>>
>>26942974
>H-hey g-g-guys I'll m-m-make it l-look l-l-like t-this f-fa-fa-faggot is a t-total s-stuttering d-dyke. L-l-look h-how s-smart I a-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
People who do this to discredit other anons need to fucking die. They're worse than fucking >muh fags
>>
>>26943063
Because pokemon are not realistic at all you motherfucker.
>>26943067
It's a stupid shtick that ruins the entire point of the games.
>>
>>26943045
>take cartoony characters
>turn it into a monstrous creature
That's exactly what the other pics are doing.
>>
>>26943064
Okay, so say I wanted to draw pokemon-themed racecars. What's wrong with doing so?
>>
File: 1449011743339.gif (483 KB, 207x154) Image search: [Google]
1449011743339.gif
483 KB, 207x154
>>26943064
>forcing it into something it never was is only going to end terribly.
>forcing it
What the fuck? Is this whats triggering you? You think think these pictures drawn by literally who are going to someone become canon? Lol I thought there was an actual reason but it turns out your just arguing for the sake of arguing. Good job anon
>>
>>26943084
See >>26943087
>>
File: k den.jpg (6 KB, 206x210) Image search: [Google]
k den.jpg
6 KB, 206x210
>>26943084
So according to you the only people who draw pokémon fanart and are not doing "stupid ideas" are the ones doing Sugimori-styles illustrations.
>>
ITT: Anti-creativity police and kids terrified of being accused of being edgy
>>
>>26943086
No its taking creatures that cant exist irl and making them into something that can exist irl
>>
>>26943105
Yeah, you're thinking of shit like pic related, not like >>26942979
>>
>>26943105
Oh yeah trevenant and fucking gengar's line could definitely exist irl :^)
>>
>>26943084
>>26943064

>>26943087
So, what? Nothing?
>>
>>26943086
>he thinks a bat is more of a monstrous creature than a ghost
>he thinks a squid is more of a monstrous creature than a ghost
>he thinks an armadillo is a more monstrous creature than a sentient metal ball with a face
>>
>>26943133
Not him, but I've been into zoology since before I could walk and also read the artist's explanations. Which would you like explained?
>>
>>26943124
Something with that body shape could never exist IRL. A foggy face with edgy red eyes and stubby limbs would never work with IRL physics. That's just making shit montrous and edgy for the sake of it

Arvalli's Gengar is debatable, but it certainly has a better shot of being a living creature than whatever that shit is
>>
>>26943124
Yeah I always see that in my local zoo. Never seen a bat before though. You make a good point
>>
>>26943153
Oh, sorry, I was trying to say that >>26943086 was thinking of the blob..
>>
>>26940378
They lay around pretending to be items and attack you when you try to pick them up, no it's not made up you retard.
>>
>>26940400
It's not "supposed" to be a mimic, it's a permutation of the archetype. A mimic is something you interact with in an rpg that ends up being a monster that looks like that thing (a.k.a. Electrode).
>>
Did this fag ever draw Gardevoir? I bet he'd make her look silly as fuck.
>>
>>26943194
Would you not want him to?
>>
>>26939370
>>
>>26939491
>That also explains why they are so fast.
wait how i don't get it
>>
>>26939355

but what is their texture anyways?

I always imagine voltorbs feel like hard aluminum.
>>
>>26939355
They are diodes.
>>
>>26939355
Holy fuck you people are autistic
>>
>>26942988
>"That's like making a realistic Sonic, that isn't going to end well"

He already did that.
>>
>>26943077
This.
>>
>>26939794
>monsters in the form of Pokeballs.
/thread
>>
>>26939355
artificial pokemon
spheres of energy
that's the reason they are electric type and explodes when they had a lot of energy
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 400x309
>>26939690
>The Richardex
>>
File: Chespin.gif (557 KB, 156x117) Image search: [Google]
Chespin.gif
557 KB, 156x117
To the people in this thread, I want you to imagine a situation: a Pokémon live action adaptations gets announced, holy shit that is already a concerning scenario. Great directors get attached, great actors, they're basing it on the games, everyone is a huge fan of the series and the project is full of passion, the tone is just right, whatever would make you get into the idea of a live action Pokémon movie. The concept artists are top tier in skill too, but when making the creatures there are two possibilities:
>they stick to the series' lore and designs very strictly, to honor the original idea and stay consistent with the canon, making it a extension of the main series like the spinoffs and manga that stick to the designs and idea even if the style is radically different
>they take artistic liberties and make the designs more biologically and evolutionally(?) accurate and believable, to make it grounded and digestable for the general audience
I'm not picking sides here, I'm asking you to tell us if your stance between those two choices (flying bug that probably has a hard time cutting stuff vs crazy magical ghost in a sword with a scarf). The difference between this and just saying "I like his fanart" or "I don't like his fanart" is the fact that if the jews are making a Hollywood movie and it can have two outcomes, two artistic directions with the same quality, your opinion is more objective and has an impact. It's Pokémon, in real life. What movie do you want to see?
>>
>>26947301
The first option obviously but you can still have that AND the art ITT. I don't get why people are making it out to be one or the other. Both can exist at the same time, you don't have to choose
>>
why are people so triggered of someone's fucking artwork?
is all of pokemon-related fanart supposed to be the fucking same style as the games?
>>
>>26947666
how could you have both? like how?
>>
>>26947666
>Both can exist at the same time, you don't have to choose
No, Satan, you don't know how to think. Because the first option implies a Pokéball-like Voltorb, not an armadillo. You can't have both, one is a living explosive Pokéball, the other is an armadillo. One is the thing that's in the game but brought to real life, the other is a motherfucking red and white armadillo.
>>
>>26947756
>>26947775
I mean the movie uses traditional designs and then this guy just still makes his art and posts it online. How is this a hard concept to grab? Have you literally never come across two versions of the same thing ever in your entire lives? Have you never seen pictures of the same thing drawn by two different people?
>>
>>26939428
The bats with gas around them and brightly coloured ears to look like ghastly's eyes, lol it was so bad
>>
>>26947915
What's bad about it?
>>
>>26939355
Sandshrews apparently
>>
>>26942533
autistic of you tbph
>>
>>26947846
That's not the question, the question is if in the movie, IN THE MOVIE, you'd rather have the arvalis approach instead of a more faithful approach. How is this a hard concept to grab? why do I need caps to explain it to you?
>>
>>26943671
Voltorbs and Electrodes are usually faster than the average pokemon. Mimics are usually higher level, faster, and stronger than other monsters in an area. If they were the same level they wouldn't be a surprise or a trap. Like mimics voltorbs and electrodes that pop up from fake items are higher levels and can even know explosion or self destruct.
>>
File: realistic sonic.png (1 MB, 1192x733) Image search: [Google]
realistic sonic.png
1 MB, 1192x733
>>26942988
>he wouldn't play a game like this

Arvalis is shit though.
>>
>>26947943
It looks like shit. Literally my moms foggy bat. Not Pokemon related, just a purple bat.
>>
>>26939355
Electrodes are actually based on multiple concepts.
One pretty obvious one is the mimic function that >>26939491 pointed out.
The other obvious one is the poké ball. But poké balls are actually based on a few different things that carry over to Voltorb and Electrode too. The most obvious one is is the gashapon capsule balls, which is a left over from when the game was named Capsule Monsters. It is also speculated that they may have been based on the red and white version of the yin/yang symbol, though I haven't been able to find any proof of this idea.
The whole explosion part of Voltorb and Electrode, and the early concepts for the poké ball, is based on the popular japanese party ball that will split open with a POP and rain confetti.
>>
File: image.png (165 KB, 744x317) Image search: [Google]
image.png
165 KB, 744x317
>>26940882
Have you seen ancient whales?
>>
>>26951238
In his defense, real life orcas fit way better for Kyogre's design. Not even because of the body patterns, but for simpler, more obvious things like Kyogre's smooth round head instead of the wrinkly scaly thing the artist made.
>>
File: _aggron__by_arvalis-d5qfgeh.jpg (2 MB, 5796x3939) Image search: [Google]
_aggron__by_arvalis-d5qfgeh.jpg
2 MB, 5796x3939
>>
File: _flygon__by_arvalis-d63mpy6.jpg (119 KB, 1171x682) Image search: [Google]
_flygon__by_arvalis-d63mpy6.jpg
119 KB, 1171x682
>>26951731
>>
File: _honchkrow__by_arvalis-d5ocnkp.jpg (2 MB, 6000x3530) Image search: [Google]
_honchkrow__by_arvalis-d5ocnkp.jpg
2 MB, 6000x3530
>>26951744
>>
File: _noivern__by_arvalis-d7mc5s5.jpg (4 MB, 5700x3900) Image search: [Google]
_noivern__by_arvalis-d7mc5s5.jpg
4 MB, 5700x3900
>>26951755
>>
>>26946984
That's not terrible
>>
File: Eevee group.jpg (141 KB, 1331x599) Image search: [Google]
Eevee group.jpg
141 KB, 1331x599
>>26942995
>>
File: Badger.jpg (149 KB, 1010x791) Image search: [Google]
Badger.jpg
149 KB, 1010x791
>>26942995
>>
>>26951847
How the fuck can a bee that large support itself with regular insect wings? 0/10 not realistic
>>
File: Eat.jpg (232 KB, 1211x865) Image search: [Google]
Eat.jpg
232 KB, 1211x865
>>
File: 1467266528558.png (785 KB, 680x1021) Image search: [Google]
1467266528558.png
785 KB, 680x1021
>>26951731
Is that frog supposed to be Geodude?

>>26951744
Is that lizard supposed to be Trapinch?!

>>26951847
Are those wasps supposed to be Combee and Vespiquen?!?
>>
>>26951957
yes
yes
yes
>>
>>26951957
Yes
>>
>>26951957
Flygon looks like a lizard
>>
>>26939650
>"realistic" Sharpedo is still half a shark
>>
>>26947301
>>they take artistic liberties and make the designs more biologically and evolutionally(?) accurate and believable
This is the same line of thinking which gave us Smaug with two legs, as if that was the only thing unbelievable about a lizard the size of a castle that can fly, speak, and breathe fire.
>>
>>26939355
mimics
>>
File: 1464402315484.jpg (60 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1464402315484.jpg
60 KB, 720x720
>>26942974
Found the butthurt artist
>>
It's like that faggot that made the Godzilla Neo series, 'GODZILLA'S A DINOSAUR, SO HE'S A T-REX'
>>
>>26939767
Written by Nintendo of America and not at all like the Japanese source material. Sorry Richard.
>>
>>26942974
how about this
one time i went to comicon, andrew dobson had a stall in the artist's alley and my friend threw an open bottle of water at him
>>
File: realistic.jpg (344 KB, 1179x1500) Image search: [Google]
realistic.jpg
344 KB, 1179x1500
>pokemon has cartoony eyes
>artist draws some random shit like huge ears or bug wings over normal eyes or just gives up and draws patterns on its skin
>>
>>26939690
>>26939767
AND HE SHALL APPEAR
>>
>>26939955
try shitposting better.
>>
File: shaymin realism parody.jpg (54 KB, 830x521) Image search: [Google]
shaymin realism parody.jpg
54 KB, 830x521
>mocking realistic fanart
Obligatory Shaymin
>>
>>26940095
I've always thought giratina's spike legs were shaped like that to push into an distort space to use it like steps.
>>
>>26939679
Slowbro is the hermitcrab pokemon.
>>
>>26951731
>>26951744
>if it's round and small it's a frog
Cacnea is a thing that exists, a cactus. For fucks sake.
>>
>>26952395
Shrimpmin
>>
>>26951847
>take cyndaquil, which is based on an existing, real animal, and make it some fictional mutant rat thing
The fuck? I thought he was obsessed with everything being realistic?
>>
>>26951847
>having 3 bees formed together isn't realistic, that has to go.
>a mammal that's on fucking fire 24/7 is fine though, keep it.

like half the time he goes to stupid lengths for "realism" then the other half he just gives up and lets whatever bullshit slide
>>
File: field_guide__pg__1_zebstrika.jpg (177 KB, 900x643) Image search: [Google]
field_guide__pg__1_zebstrika.jpg
177 KB, 900x643
>>
File: field_guide__pg__2_girafarig.jpg (156 KB, 900x643) Image search: [Google]
field_guide__pg__2_girafarig.jpg
156 KB, 900x643
>>
>>26952899
The pic was modified form Giratina though, aka the one that walks on 6 legs. Origin form could use the spikes like you said though.
>>
>>26948105
I answered that question you idiot. You tried so hard to make a point you forgot to actually read what you were replying to
>>
>>26949233
It looks good, its creative. Literally the entire point is that it represents an animal from real life you retard, that's not an argument for it being bad
>>
>>26953678
>hollywood is making a pokemon blockbuster, would you rather have them go A: full faithful which will give you explosive pokéball Voltorb and sword ghost, or B: full biologically correct which will give you armadillo Voltorb and bug with skin patterns?
>WHY NOT BOTH LMAO
Retard.
>>
What the hell? What the fuck is this shit?
>I know, I'll turn eyeballs into stupid button things
>ears can be leaves now
Humans are NOT green and yellow and blue. This is completely inaccurate, what a shitty artist. He RUINED human beings forever.

If someone made a movie about humans, what would you prefer:
>accurate proportions and sticking to the original design
>shit like pic related

This shitty art will never make it big because its BAD. Literally my mom's scribbles
>>
>>26953787
Learn to read, dickhead.
>>
>>26953807
what's it like sucking dick for bus fare and then walking home
>>
>>26939370
I bet Garbodor and ice creamtard are some of your favorite Pokemon.
>>
>>26953039
You HAVE to be mental
>>
File: angry moth.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
angry moth.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>>26953816
You're a pain in the ass m8, it's a question with two separate options for one situation, a stupid Pokémon movie, not a movie+the whole outside internet posting fanarts. Yes, arvalis could keep posting his fanart while the movie goes with another thing, of course they'd exist at the same time but in separate ways. One is fanart, the other is the big, stupid, Pokémon live action movie. We're staying within the creative approach of the movie's art department.

Seriously, we can't have this big of a communication issue.
>>
File: 1458443804744.gif (769 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458443804744.gif
769 KB, 500x375
>It's a "I can't enjoy anything because it doesn't fit my perfect world view" episode.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 991x807) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 991x807
I think his art is actually pretty interesting.
>>
>>26953824
Awesome point, I now agree with you completely
>>
>>26953902
But I answered the question in the first line. The rest was just addressing how stupid and irrelevant the scenario was
>>
>>26953995
The rest was irrelevant, since it didn't apply to the scenario, and you knew that. Why did you even bother to reply the next 4 times?
>>
>>26939355
Shitty designs
>>
>>26954036
But it did apply to the thread, which the question was posted in, so of course they were connected. Thats why I connected them. The reason I kept replying and the reason I'll keep replying until you see my point is because I have an obsession with proving to people that I'm right
>>
File: Shrew.jpg (336 KB, 860x460) Image search: [Google]
Shrew.jpg
336 KB, 860x460
>>26953039
Cyndaquil's appearance looks odd even from what it's based off
>>
>>26954086
Good thing I have the same obsession. I definitely see what your point was, but given it's a stupid ass point I elected to question it, specially since you mentioned the word "both".
>>
>>26954109
But we can have both. Both a traditional style movie and other artists making there own designs independently. Its not stupid, its literally already happening
>>
>>26954168
We know that, it's the most obvious thing in the universe. We get it. You can have both if you thik about the whole world, but you can't have both in the live action adaptation scenario, because it implies only one design making it into the movie while the others stay as fantasies and huge fan-art galleries on deviantart. If someone asks you if they should wear her red dress or her blue dress for a party, you won't say "red one, but really you can still wear both, you don't have to choose, just use the other one at home!". She is still choosing only one, and your extra opinion is not helpful at all regarding the question, now she's probably confused, annoyed and arguing with you for hours.
>>
>>26953807
"Realistic"
>>
>>26954255
That's not the point. The point is its different to your own unique world view so you have to automatically hate it like all babbies in this thread because there's no such thing as art, only facts
>>
File: cringe.png (2 MB, 1312x1672) Image search: [Google]
cringe.png
2 MB, 1312x1672
>>26953807
That's not the way to defend Picasso. If that were a valid argument, you could defend pic related with no problem. Artistic liberty=/=good. Also, I don't think taking a realistic adaptation of a cartoony thing and comparing it to a cartoony stylization of a real thing is the best way to defend one or the other. Lastly, I believe people in this thread aren't shitting on Arvalis for his art skills, since it's clear he knows how to draw. They're shitting on him because of a lack of respect for the main idea, like if he completely ignored that franchise and those creatures that anons hold so dear to their heart (because /vp/ is based mainly on autism) and making it ugly or have it make no sense at all. Picasso is the worst comparison you could've possibly had, he's a whole other topic to talk about.

If I had to compare the actual needs of the Pokémon fandom regarding realistic art of these silly beings, I'd compare it to what people like Ryan Meinerding, Andy Park and Josh Rizzo among others are doing at Marvel Studios, trying their best to make the designs work in real life while respecting the original comics as much as possible. They're the ones that effectively gave life to a giant talking tree, a raccoon with guns, a bright green and red cape-wearing android, fucking Ant-man, etcetera. That is realistic done right. At least from my point of view, that's why some people get pissed when they see what arvalis creates when he makes a "realistic Pokémon" and it's not what they've known and loved for years. Also why they get pissed at pic related.
>>
>>26954394
Its not about what you think. That's the point, it's subjective

Should've read >>26954316 before you posted, you wasted a lot of time. The idea want to find diverging identical to represent what was happening in the thread, the point was to show how stupid it is arguing that art you don't like is "bad"
>>
>>26954439
>The idea want to find diverging...
Butchered that. Meant to write
>*The idea wasn't to find something...
>>
>>26940793
Friendly reminder that Wailord has less density than air(it only weights around 700 lb), so we can't trust the pokedex
>>
>>26956566
I mean, it and Wailmer are supposed to be balloons. It being super light makes sense in that respect, if not so much the actual physics of it being an underwater going Pokemon.

Perhaps it takes on water like submarines?
>>
>>26956566
Weight is a game mechanic (Grass Knot/Low Kick/Heavy Slam), so it's canonical. The normal "muh pokedex doesn't count" arguments don't work there. Deal with it.
>>
>>26956583
Er... I mean, not balloons, so much as beach balls. Inflated things.
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.