[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starter stereotypes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 1000x563
I can't figure it out.

Every gen from now has had one cool starter (usually the speed focus), one girly starter (usually special focus), and one burly starter (usually bulky with a focus on attack). I'm not saying this is the case every single time (emboar was bulky with high sp attack and attack for example and blastoise was a bulky special attacker) but this is the only gen where I can't pinpoint what the burly starter is going to be. At first I thought Popplio but he is a full special attacker. Then I thought Rowlet, but his description makes it sound like he is stealthy and whatnot (despite its incredibly high hp stat). And of course, unless luchador cat happens, Litten is obviously going to be the cool stereotype.

Which one is it going to be? Are we going to have a pseudo-gen1 pattern where Litten has Charizard-like stats, Rowlett has Venusaur-like stats and Popplio is basicalLy Blastoise?
>>
>>26933567
> rowlet high hp stat
what?
>>
>>26933567
Dude you haven't even seen their final forms yet.

If I had to guess, Popplio will end up the bulky mon based on the stat spread from its level-up. Litten is the fast cool cat. Rowlet is the recognized attacker.
>>
You really couldn't figure out which of those fit which descriptions in past gets from their first forms. Mudkip didn't scream bulky, Snivy seemed girlier than Oshawott, Chrimchar didn't seem cool at all before infernape. Hell, Dewott seemed like it was going to be the fast cool starter until we got Samurott.
>>
>>26933567
What was the cool one of gen 6?
>>
>>26933567
>always had cool, girly, burly

You stupid "m-m-muh pattern" only arguably fits for, what, two or three gens?
>>
>>26933567
>every gen so far has had at least one cold-blooded starter
>which one is it going to be this gen?
>>
>>26933639
frogue, obviously. the only starter that wasn't a complete abomination
>>
File: 1465941645996.jpg (221 KB, 537x1171) Image search: [Google]
1465941645996.jpg
221 KB, 537x1171
>>26933567
Well we know popplio is going to be a tanky with decent S.ATK.
Now litten and rowlet are a mystery. Rowlet was supposedly played during the world trade fair yet no video of the game play has surfaced.
But from the new video showed today we saw a level 60 litten with 124 hp. Now assuming no IVs or EVs that means it has a base hp of 45. Unfortunately that doesn't tell us a lot since a 45 base hp seems to be the average for most of the starters.

Now assuming these "leaks" are real, probably not.
Popplio can still be tanky since Meganium and serperior are quite tanky despite their looks.
Rowlet would be a speedy attacker or a mixed attacker.
Litten would probably have average stats all around except maybe higher attack than rowlet.
>>
>>26933644
It's a pattern basically only because there are so many ways to make a Pokemon.
>Focused in offensive stats
>Focused in defensive stats
>Focused in speed
How else do you make a Pokemon that wouldn't overlap?
>Well, this one is focused on Defense AND Attack
Alright cool, now what do you do for the other two?
>This one is focused on speed
>The third one is focused on...attack?
Well great then, that means the first one was focused on defense and we have another Attack>Defense>Speed triangle again.

Girly/cool/burly is less of a pattern and more of a result of those things. Bulky things look bulky, and being burly is one of the easiest ways to show bulk. Speedy things are built without that bulk and generally end up looking cooler as a result.
>>
>>26933690
The battle royale gameplay footage implied that Litten is faster than Rowlet, who is faster than Popplio. Though Rowlet supposedly has higher HP than Popplio.
>>
The only truly "girly" starter has been the Chikorita line:

chickoRITA
BAYLEEf
MEGANium
>>
>>26933774
Uhh....that fire fox in gen 6?
>>
>>26933730
>Girly/cool/burly is less of a pattern and more of a result of those things

Again, it's not a pattern at all, it only exists in, at most, half of the existing starter trios (arguably, it doesn't really exist even in those, because "cool" and even "girly" are incredibly vague descriptions with multiple meanings -- what's keeping a "bulky" pokemon from being "cool"?).

Why didn't you just stick to "offensive/defensive/speedy"?
>>
>>26933774
Torchic in Gen 3, Piplup in Gen 4, and Fennekin in Gen 6.

Gen 5's oshawott is debatable and so is Gen 1's Bulbasaur. Ivysaur is a female in Smash though, if that tells you anything.
>>
>>26933688
>origami head
>tongue scarf
I don't think so.
All of them were shit, just like Kalos.
>>
>>26933774
made me laff
>>
>>26933774
I laughed.
>>
>>26933803
Your taste is shit for not liking the objectively best pokemon ever.
>>
>>26933605
23 HP at level 5 man, it appeared in one of the Battle Royal promos. Rowlett will be the next Tepig.
>>
>>26933794
Delphox is 75% male, which makes no sense.

>>26933801
How are Torchic or Piplup girly?

The Chikorita line is the only clear female based line. Delphox came close, but it's more the transvestite line
>>
>>26933797
I'm not OP, but I'm also not autistic so I can understand the message behind what he was saying at least. I don't agree with his word choices, but I don't feel the need to nitpick at it because "Speedy=sleek" and "Bulky=Burly" isn't that hard to grasp at or disagree with.
>>
>>26933801
>blaziken
>empoleon
>samurott
>feminine

Quit trying to force your retarded patterns.
>>
>>26933828
Chikorita is 75% male.
>>
>>26933823
>Rowlett will be the next Tepig.
Ugh, hopefully not. Emboar is shit and nobody wants based Rowlett to become a fat retard.
>>
File: 1467379206517.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1467379206517.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>26933857
Ohhhh sweet poetic justice if this happens.
>>
>>26933835
The words he chose to describe his bullshit pattern, "cool, feminine, bulky," only apply to about two sets of starters. I don't think it's expecting too much to hope folks use words that actually correspond to what they're trying to say.

It's really a bit of a stretch to expect people will readily understand abstract connections like "cool=speedy" or "feminine=defensive" (or wait, did "bulky" mean "defensive"?). He used retarded categories, and he should feel retarded.
>>
>>26933839
I said Oshawott was debatable, but Blaziken is pretty easily made female. Much more so than a ton of other starters.
Just because the anime is shit doesn't mean it doesn't still influence public opinion, and a female character owning a Pokemon makes it sway to the Pokemon being female. Notice that the ones I named were the signatures of May, Dawn, and Serena.
>>
>>26933849
Doesn't matter. It's got the ponytail, necklace, female names, etc
>>
>>26933857
I have nothing against Rowlet, but I'll laugh my ass off if it ends becoming a fat bastard. It will be Chespin again.
>>
>>26933891
>a female character owning a Pokemon makes it sway to the Pokemon being female

How's that autism treating you, dawg?
>>
>>26933891
Blaziken is a rooster. It's a male.

Empoleon = Napoleon. It even has a tuxedo.

>in b4 shitlord girls can wear tuxedos too gawd it's 2016
>>
>>26933932
>blaziken is a rooster, it's a male
>25% chance of being female
>>
>>26933891
look dude, if you want to jerk off to sexualized pokemon, that's your thing, and i respect that, but don't expect normies to understand your weird habit of ascribing genders to otherwise agendered pokemon
>>
>>26933947
>25%
Holy shit are you actually retarded its 12.5% Gift mons have a 7:1 ratio M:F
>>
>>26933891
Dawn's piplup was male.
Also Torchic is the most masculine starter pokemon ever created besides the gen 5 final stages and its a rooster, not a chicken
>>
>>26933890
>Gen 2
>Chikorita:Female/Special Attacker
>Totodile:Bulky
>Cyndaquil:Cool/Speedy (Mostly because of the flame wheel animation)

Gen 3
>Torchic:Female/Special Attacker(Mixed)
>Mudkip:Bulky
>Treeko:Cool/Speedy

Gen 4
>Piplup:Female/Special Attacker
>Turtwig:Bulky
>Chimchar:Cool/Speedy

Gen 5
>Oshawott:Special Attacker
>Tepig:Bulky
>Snivy:Cool/Speedy

Gen 6
>Fennekin:Female/Special Attacker
>Chespin:Bulky
>Froakie:Cool/Speedy

>It's really a bit of a stretch to expect people will readily understand abstract connections like "cool=speedy"
Not if he literally defines the terms he's using in the very first sentence of his post.
>>
>>26934005
>Chikorita is a special attacker
lolllll
>Totodile is a tank
TOPU KEKO
>>
>>26933907
Chespin was always the heaviest of the starters so it wasn't surprising,
>>
>>26934005
>blaziken
>empoleon
>feminine

If he defines his terms as speedy, special attacker, and physical attacker (???), then why bother with the abstract descriptions at all (particularly if the abstract terms don't actually correspond to the majority of generations)?
>>
>>26933890
This.
The only two gens that fit this description accurately are Gen II & Gen VI. All other gens have extremely loose definition of "feminine" if you want them to fit.
>>
>>26934005
"Bulky" should be replaced wiht "Burly", when most people see bulky they think tanky.
>>
>>26933890
Burly not bulky.

For example the burly starters so far are.

Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Torterra, Emboar, Chesnaught

Cool doesn't necessarily apply to all of these but to go with the pattern the normal-looking or cool looking starters are Charizard, Typhlosion, Sceptile, Infernape, Samurrot, and Greninja.

The rest would be the feminine ir girly starters though you could also use cuteor regal since Empoleon is not really feminine or have feminine qualities, but out if the three sinnoh mons would fit with the girl the most.

The pattern definetely is a thing that exists though, it just varies.
>>
>>26933567

>emboar
>bulky

Emboar was the most fragile starter in gen 5, and one of the most fragile in general. It just has high HP for recoil moves.
>>
>>26933890
I didnt really mean to imply that the burly starter is always the bulky one, I know it varies, but in terms if appearance theres a burly/cool/feminine pattern going on and they even say it themselves when describing they design starters with a wide appeal in mind.

What makes the burly starter hard to pinpoint this time around is that popplio seems like the most likely and hes a special attacker, the last burly special attacker was blastoise.
>>
I can't tell which is more autistic, people making pattern theories or people who get assblasted about the pattern theories.

Or me for even bothering to make this comment.
>>
>>26933857
it already is a fat retard
>>
>>26934071
>it wasn't surprising
Dude literally turned into a beachball. Tell me how you weren't surprised by that.
>>
>>26934141

these categories are retarded and you should feel retarded. "burly" is the only category that has a somewhat circumscribed meaning, and even that fails to distinguish from "bulky offensive" and "bulky defensive."

>The pattern definetely is a thing that exists though, it just varies.

Yeah, it's definitely a thing once you expand "cool" to include "normal-looking" and feminine to include "regal" or "cute" or "it's not feminine, but it fits the most with the pattern, so therefore it's feminine."

Quit looking for patterns where there are none.
>>
>>26934170
High HP means its bulky smartass

Not to mention it is literally chubby.
>>
>>26933567
>Litten
burly
>rowlet
cool
>popplio
girly

That's how it'll go.
>>
>>26934246
Litten has stockings. Litten will be the girly one.
>>
File: this nigga.jpg (13 KB, 190x256) Image search: [Google]
this nigga.jpg
13 KB, 190x256
>>26934005

>Torchic:Female
>>
>>26934239
You don't have to get so ass-blasted about a discussion anon.

There is a pattern, perhaps those terms aren't the best to describe it, but theres always a mon that fits the girl best, a mon that appeals to people who like burly characters and a mon that fills whatever the other two don't cover.
>>
The only people who get mad at this sort of discussion are the people who get assblasted when someone says their favorite starter is feminine.
>>
>The Fancy One (Venusaur/Meganium/Blaziken/Empoleon/Serperior/Delphox)
Rowlett (bow tie is a giveaway)
>The Cool One (Charizard/Typhlosion/Sceptile/Infernape/Samurott/Greninja)
Litten (edgy attitude)
>The Burly One (Blastoise/Feraligatr/Swampert/Torterra/Emboar/Chesnaught)
Popplio (the leftovers)

Fancy is a much more apt description imo, it encompasses more feminine & regal and fits the overall group far better.

Also based on this, I think Ash will get main Litten, every single gen (except Johto where they were decently evened out) Ash has used the cool starter as his main, even if it doesn't evolve. Possibly Popplio too but it likely won't evolve. Rowlett will go to his female companion if she gets a starter, both birds have gone to the girls and his tuxedo design just screams fancy evolution.
>>
>>26934262
>>26934278

quit being so defensive. calling a retarded, non-existent pattern retarded and non-existent is contributing to the discussion. no need to play it off as though i'm anti-discussion
>>
>>26934307
He uses Pignite in 5, he has both Torterra and Infernape in 4.

So I'd say the only gens this applies to are 6 and 3.
>>
>>26934319
You're getting butthurt about someone calling it a pattern and lashing out foaming at the mouth for no reason. Is there really a reason for that when discussing? Just because you don't agree with something?
>>
>>26934553
Charizard, Infernape & Oshawott were very clearly his "starter mascots" of their respective regions, just because he caught the others doesn't make that untrue, Tepig even evolved and Oshawott still got my screen time.
>>
>>26934624
>my
more*
>>
>>26934624
>Oshawott
No.

>Infernape
No again. The entire first half of that arc was focused on Turtwig, the second half on Infernape.

>Charizard
Kinda. i would agree more if Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't get equal spotlight, Charizard is just the one that gets to evolve. Same thing in gen 2 and 5.
>>
File: rowlet_poses.png (487 KB, 1024x950) Image search: [Google]
rowlet_poses.png
487 KB, 1024x950
>>26933690
This baffles me. NO footage of Rowlet stats?!

We only know that it has pretty high HP and is not the slowest of the 3. I hope that it isn't too middling across the board, but if its got good health and at least one decent offensive stat than a life as a boosting attacker is possible. Being HP-heavy wouldn't be bad if it gets Brave Bird and Wood Hammer, but it would make draining moves a bit less effective.
>>
>>26933803
Finally someone who agrees with me. Kalos starters fucking sucked. I had high hopes for them but they had to fuck them up and I'm pretty sure these starters end up being shit too because the first evos are already not promising. For FUCK'S SAKE I'm tired of getting shitty starters.
>>
>>26934553
ash caught the fastest starter every region

Gen 7 speed is Litten > Rowlet > Poplio

so he'll get Litten at least
>>
>>26935774
He's getting Rowlet since it's the most popular. Besides ash started catches multiple starters. Only in gen 3 and 6 is where ash didn't have multiple starters.
>>
File: rowlet_spin.gif (747 KB, 408x172) Image search: [Google]
rowlet_spin.gif
747 KB, 408x172
>>26935848
It's going to be interesting to see how these starters turn out.
>>
>>26933567
>popplio defensive and special attack
> litten low defense (special) but probably good attack and speed
>rowlet probably pure speed?
>>
>>26934791
pretty sure this is a popular opinion.
>>
File: rowlet_uotm8.jpg (22 KB, 253x253) Image search: [Google]
rowlet_uotm8.jpg
22 KB, 253x253
>>26936470
23 HP is pretty high for lvl 5. Possibly beefy but fairly quick? Decent attack with some high BP moves? I really wish someone at World Hobby Fair had caught info about its stat spread since it almost always scales proportionally through evolution.
>>
>>26933567
Rowlet gonna be the burly obviously.
>>
File: qqcgLOWn.jpg (84 KB, 675x675) Image search: [Google]
qqcgLOWn.jpg
84 KB, 675x675
>>26937239
This

Owlbear pls
>>
File: rowlet_sky.png (411 KB, 1024x607) Image search: [Google]
rowlet_sky.png
411 KB, 1024x607
>>26937239
Popplio has pretty good bulk and the slowest speed. Rowlet is also the lightest starter. I could see it ending up floofy, but not fat or the bulky one. It's high HP is interesting, though.
>>
>>26935848
Also despite Pikachu if Ash has a favourite type it's Flying.
>>
>>26933857
He was talking about stats
>>
Gen 1 had Charizard and 2 big nigs
>>
>>26937295
Imagine Emboar but swap its Special attack with its Speed.
>>
File: rowlet_leafage.png (961 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
rowlet_leafage.png
961 KB, 1000x1000
>>26937331
Iiiiiiiiii...could see that. At least something close to it, and with the right moveset it wouldn't be appalling. Especially if it got a decent Hidden Ability.

Like I mentioned before, Rowlet's hefty HP is bad for Leech Seed and Giga Drain but good for Brave Bird and Wood Hammer.
>>
File: 146713930134617.jpg (254 KB, 537x1171) Image search: [Google]
146713930134617.jpg
254 KB, 537x1171
>>26933690
>Not posting the master race version, you pleasant.
>>
>>26937436
Popplio could definitely use a good moveset and typing. It's looking like a slow and bulky Special Attacker.
>>
>>26938014

I was looking up a Water/Fairy type's actual weaknesses and.

>Only three weaknesses

Nah, Game Freak wouldn't give Popplio that much of a advantage. They'll slap a Water/Fighting type on him and have him be this slow bulky Special Attacker that uses Sp. At. Water type and Fighting type moves instead.
>>
>>26938325
>What is Empoleon
They've done it before man.
>>
File: 000.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
000.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>26933567
It looks like Popplio will be a special attacker and bullet sponge

Rowlet will be the fast cool one

and Litten will be a bipedal derpy looking fat cat with a big red mustache
>>
File: LITTEN EVO.png (225 KB, 744x760) Image search: [Google]
LITTEN EVO.png
225 KB, 744x760
>>26938813

pic related
>>
>>26937436
Thought those hideous abominations were confirmed fake.
>>
>>26933973
>>26933932
Blaziken is not a rooster, it's based off the Shamo Chicken
Blaze + Chicken
>>
File: Shamo chicken.jpg (456 KB, 911x887) Image search: [Google]
Shamo chicken.jpg
456 KB, 911x887
>>26939104
>>
File: image.png (214 KB, 770x562) Image search: [Google]
image.png
214 KB, 770x562
>>26938813
Rowlet is the middle speed one, but it also has crazy HP. I don't know what to expect from it.
>>
>>26939758
I said in other thread that it would have a BST somewhat similar to Emboar's.
But swap Emboar Special Attack with its speed and low a little the attack or something. Like
>HP 105
>Atk 115
>Def 70
>SpA 70
>SpD 70
>Speed 100

Something along those lines.
>>
>>26933973
>>26939104
Roosters ARE chickens, though. "Chicken" is the name of the species, roosters are male and hens are female.
>>
File: image.png (504 KB, 698x499) Image search: [Google]
image.png
504 KB, 698x499
>>26939789
This wouldn't be awful. Especially if it gets a good movepool. Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, coverage, a good boosting move or two...maybe even a hidden ability like Tinted Lens or Reckless...
>>
>>26939892
>Hidden Ability is Thick Fat
>>
>>26939892
If it gets Swords Dance, it wouldn't even need the extra punch of Wood Hammer just by having Brave Bird.

Swords Dance, Brave Bird, Leaf Blade/Seed Bomb/Petal Blizzard and Roost/Superpower could be useful, asuming it gets those.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.