[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr Motivate me to play Gen 5 So when Black and White first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 256x192
tl;dr Motivate me to play Gen 5

So when Black and White first came out I was an underage whiny snob who at first was into it, but after time I couldn't dig it anymore. If memory serves me right of why I disliked it, the graphics gave me a headache, I didn't like how a lot of the new Pokemon seemed to be carbon copies of old ones, the routes trudged on for a while, I thought a lot of the features proved the beginning of casualization, and I found the story to be too try hard. I ended up quitting it right after the 8th boss, and never finished it. Basically lost all my interest in the series for a bit. Didn't even realize B2W2 came out, bought XY two months late, and then my extreme interest in Pokemon returned from there.

I've been broke for a while but recently my younger brother lost any interest in keeping his copy of White (I played Black) and I realized I really should finish every title at least once to claim I'm as big as a fan as I do. I've heard B2W2 is a better game but also that it's a direct enough sequel that you'll be lost storywise without beating the first one. So I'm gonna see if he'll give his up but I'm still not 100% excited to be beating a game I dreaded so much in the past.

So /vp/, tell me your favorite things about Gen V, and convince me it's worth it to play through this game and then eventually B2W2. Also, let me know if I should go with B2 or W2, unfortunately don't have a choice for the first game
>>
File: 1467100145444.jpg (28 KB, 470x473) Image search: [Google]
1467100145444.jpg
28 KB, 470x473
>>26924132
The Pokémon become more interesting as time goes on, and the story actually is fairly good. If you haven't liked it so far, you may not like it further, but BW2 really are better. BW2 is literally a sequel, though, and you'll want to get White 2 to make the continuity make sense. You'll also want to do the information transfer before starting White 2 to get the most out of it.

Also, if your problem with the Unova mons is that they seem like the old ones, then that's silly imo. It's meant to be a call back to the original games, maybe even a remix, if you could call it that. There are a lot of hidden things to explore, and it's perfectly fun to just wander. It's my favorite gen because it's so hype.

make sure to find Volcarona.
>>
>>26924132
>Motivate me to play Gen 5

Nah.
>>
>>26924194
meme
>>
>>26924132
I fell out around that time too except it was after I already bought Black 2 and for no real reason then other things catching my interest.

I was completely on top of the X/Y hype cycle though
>>
File: smughilbert.png (51 KB, 410x371) Image search: [Google]
smughilbert.png
51 KB, 410x371
>>26924132
>lost interest with gen 5
>enjoyed XY
pleb/10, you'll get your casual-catering S&M soon just play that.
>>
>>26924132
Dude, a long ago i did the same thread how i hated gen 5 and how i disliked the game because reasons, i still played it even then.

And then i realized it was my favorite gen. The music is good, the story is better than most pokemon games, and the pokemon arent actually that bad. I managed to do a very comfy team and i loved my team (Chandelure, Samurott, Excadrill, Archeops, Krookodile, Eelektross), discovered pokemon i always use now like Excarill and Krookodile, discovered music, and well, i ended loving the gen 5 games.

The dex at the beginning is not that big, but it ends pretty good.
>>
File: 1391697678070.jpg (48 KB, 300x340) Image search: [Google]
1391697678070.jpg
48 KB, 300x340
>>26924132
>So /vp/, tell me your favorite things about Gen V

Pic related
>>
File: 679.gif (91 KB, 135x186) Image search: [Google]
679.gif
91 KB, 135x186
Gen 5 has the best waifus.
>>
File: rofl.jpg (191 KB, 752x854) Image search: [Google]
rofl.jpg
191 KB, 752x854
I hated gen 5 at first, all mons looked like cancer, but after playing it 3 times (I never finished it those times), I...still hated it

Played it again and again, then I finished it after playing for some hours, bored as fuck, and I realized why I disliked it too much

1) The same pokemon all over again till you get to 2nd gym city, I mean, cmon, the femenine cat, the house-dog and the cocaine sniffer squirrel, they get pretty old after a while (and by a while I mean 30 min playing the game), everyone have one, even the gym leaders D:

Till the time you get to the 1st gym, you will have encountered

Your inicial
The repetitive as fuck trio (cat, dog and squirrel)
A Munna, and that shitty monkey that guy in the Dreamyard gives you

Those are 6 mons, and nobody would make a full team from the mons that appear early in the game lol

In hoenn, for example, by the time you have arrived at 1st gym, you will have encountered

Your inicial
Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Wurple, Seedot/Lotad/, Wingull, Marril, Ralts, Cascoon, Silcoon, the monkey in the forest, Taillow, Whismur, Skitty, Nincada, Shroomish, Abra, and maybe I missed one more or two

That makes it for about 17 mons, talk about variety

Also, gen 5 mons don't look to me like something I would be willing to go into an adventure, dude, look at Rogganrola, or Woobat, or that dog, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But, now I don't hate it, they have some cool mons, like Excadrill or Zekrom or Kyurem (and some cancer ones, like My Little Keldeo or almost the entire Unova dex)

Another cool feature is the battle speed, I liked that battles were actually faster and HP bars didn't depleted in 5 minutes like in gen 4

But, overall, I dislike it and probably is one of the gens I like the least and one of the ones I'll never replay without a VERY GOOD excuse

(pic very related)
>>
>>26924132

The game is interesting for a number of reasons.

Geographically speaking it's based on a part of the world that is very different, and thus the reason why many of the Pokémon are reminiscent of old ones is actually due to genetic drift. With a lot of the Pokémon in Gen 5 being much more suited for the environment which is much more urbanized then rural Kanto.

It arguably has the best story in the entire game, without spoiling anything it actually has a villainous team that actually adds an ideological and moral stands opposed to all that Pokémon's franchise have stood for, it's really fascinating. The main boss is truly one of the most sophisticated villains in all of Pokémon, using a noble cause and spending years using it you subsequently... "do something a little differently."

BW2 are arguably the best games in the entire series, and it builds off of the story from the first two games. Expands the region, expands the Pokémon available, and really adds to the lore.

It was definitely special and unique direction but in all honesty it really works when you try to understand what's going on beyond face value. You get a real appreciation for the context of the games when you really try to think about the region more deeply. Being older, I found myself appreciating the game even more.

I'm replaying the first one myself, taking my sweet time. Love the music, love the story, and love the Pokémon.
>>
>>26924132
I once completed Black 2 in under two days that was like three months ago and Im still amazed I actually beat a game that fast, I did cheat though by disabling randoms.
>>
>>26925287
Yeah, that was something I noticed too, and even Red and Green discredit the 'only one gen' remark.

By the time you hit Brock, there's
Rattata, Pidgey, Spearow, Mankey, Weedle, Caterpie, and Pikachu. An assortment of bugs, normals, flyings, and the rare mascot himself.

Black doesn't give you shit but the dog and the rat, a dark type cat, and a pink elephant. Two normals, a psychic that doesn't learn a defined psychic attack until level 11, and a dark type that learns ONE dark move that isn't even useful in the single player because no one switches out. Meanwhile the gyms showing off all their colored monkies, which you then steamroll with the STAB super effective monkey gift you get just for doing the game story. I mean, I get this is for kids, but at least other games gave you some variety on how to address a problem than pointing out even harder how useless all the other pokemon you can catch before the first gym really are.
>>
>>26925019
>story in games
Who cares? It's tryhard, and the crappy Gen V anime and spinoffs don't help either.
>love the mons
All of them are terrible design and competitive wise. So glad they're nerfed even more in Gen VI.
>music
Say that again when your pokemon hits red health. Also they don't have a defined theme for their soundtrack, it's a clusterfuck of literally nothing.
>>
>>26925287
>le gen 4 speed meme
I can't believe people are still lying on this matter
>>
>>26927690
Go back to your pokemon red hugbox if you dont like it
>>
My only experience with Gen 5 was a half translated bootleg copy of the Japanese rom when it leaked onto /vp/. I put that shit on a flash card and had a lot of fun with the clusterfuck of moonspeak and stupid maymays. I didn't clear the Elite 4 now that I think of it, but I found a lot of my favorite Pokémon through that playthrough which limited the names to five characters...mind you this was before the English names were revealed. Krookodile named C R O C, Cofagrigas named S P O O P, Volcarina named M O T H, Chandelure named C A N D L E, some others I forget.

Black/White 2 and Platinum are next on my list.
>>
>>26924132
>So when Black and White first came out I was an underage whiny snob who at first was into it, but after time I couldn't dig it anymore. If memory serves me right of why I disliked it, the graphics gave me a headache, I didn't like how a lot of the new Pokemon seemed to be carbon copies of old ones, the routes trudged on for a while, I thought a lot of the features proved the beginning of casualization, and I found the story to be too try hard. I ended up quitting it right after the 8th boss, and never finished it. Basically lost all my interest in the series for a bit. Didn't even realize B2W2 came out, bought XY two months late, and then my extreme interest in Pokemon returned from there.
The same pretty much happened to me, except I actually reached postgame and then instead of doing postgame stuff I spent my time trading random Pokémon in the GTS to get the Master Ball. I actually liked it, the things I mainly disliked were the region and some stuff related to the graphis. The Pokémon themselves are good, some are actually pretty good. But for some reason I couldn't be interested in B2W2. I still haven't played it, I only tried the beginning, and it fixes the problems I had with the region, I like the first few routes/cities a lot. It would have been great if I had played it when it was new, I'm kind of sad I ignored it.
>>
>>26927690
What's it like being a tasteless little faggot whose shitty opinions are always wrong?
>>
File: 1463643102640.png (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1463643102640.png
11 KB, 300x300
>>26927690
>there are people this retarded
>>
>>26925287
>Hoennshitters
Purge when?
>>
File: Whimsicute.png (603 KB, 900x881) Image search: [Google]
Whimsicute.png
603 KB, 900x881
I've been revisiting GenV myself, got through Pokemon Black a week ago and I've slowly been making my way through Black 2. I remember originally disliking them, probably because I wasn't a fan of the fact I couldn't access all of the old Pokemon I loved, but a second time around I'm realising I really didn't give them enough credit. They're probably the best games in the series, and they just seem leaps and bounds above some of the other generations. Black 2 definitely fixes any problems I had with the first two editions of GenV by expanding the Pokedex and the story, so I'd definitely suggest giving it a try once you finish Black/White.

Post favourite Gen V Pokemon, pic related.
>>
I like Gen V simply because it's the closest we got to a JRPG from the mainline games. I imagine most people that hate Gen V want the pokemon mainline games to become less JRPG more battle/catch simulator.
>>
Just happened to stumble on this thread, which pertains to my interests. I haven't seriously played my white, or white 2 in a long time. Each time I go in game to move some mons around I just feel disgust, the UI in the bottom half looks atrocious, the game itself looks awkward and low-rez. Not the beautiful kinda pixel-art style they had in HG/SS (which I play a lot) nor the simple but effective style they had in emerald/ruby/sapph nor the simple yet pleasing style they used in crystal.

I've read some interesting posts here already, and I feel like I ought to give white, and white 2 another play thru... I just wish I didn't dislike it so much aesthetically.

>>26930646
Cute.
>>
>>26924132
Motivate yourself you fucking invalid
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.