[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sun/Moon Lore + Legendary Typings Explained
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: search.jpg (4 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
search.jpg
4 KB, 160x90
Solgaleo (Steel/Psychic) appears to be a direct rip of one of the key figures in alchemy, the sun-eating lion. It's Steel as opposed to Fire-typing is again a clever alchemy-reference, as it was believed that burning metals were the easiest way to purify them, thus producing steel. (Sunsteel Strike, "Full Metal" Body.) The secondary psychic typing is an obvious reference to the duo's

Lunala is a bit more obscure in that there's no direct counterpart for it. It would appear to be a mix of the bat-winged moon (really obscure figure in astrology and lunar griffin, which is often seen in direct combat with the solar lion. If we take Lunala to be the astrological moon bat, Ghost would make sense as opposed to Dark as the moon is believed to represent the ethereal & untold mystery (as oppsed to Dark's more concrete association with outright evil or sinister forces.)

Both mons Psychic-typing is an obvious reference to their third eyes/cosmic nature.

Keeping this in mind, it's highly likely that the upcoming scorpion legendary is either Ground/Psychic or Rock/Psychic to represent Earth in the alchemic trio.
>>
>full metal body
>full metal alchemy

how did i not notice this
>>
>>26896611
This just in grass is green!
>>
>>26896611
I've seen someone suggest that Lunala is based around the symbolism of birds in alchemy (bats apparently being classified as birds in medieval times) to which they symbolize the souls journey to the afterlife. Something like this could explain its Ghost-typing.
>>
>>26896950
Probably why they drew some inspiration from Barong and Rangda for the physical appearances as well. (A white lion with jewels in its mane and a "vampire" bat without any legs)

Super odd how the two completely unrelated things meshed so well together.
>>
>>26896611
Can we stop trying to justify the typings through some things that are vaguely related

Lunala's a fucking skeleton. It's a ghost type because it's a fucking skeleton. Look at the actual designs for five seconds jesus christ people
>>
Deepest lore
>>
>>26897636
I think your looking at this the wrong way mate.

No shit you can look at Lunala and figure out why it's a ghost/psychic type. Its more being curious about WHY its a skeletal vampire bat without any legs, and expanding your knowledge trying to figure out potential reasons for it.

Also I think you missed the weeks where every day we had people complaining/asking why solgaleo isn't fire/psychic
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.