[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is X/Y being way too easy a meme? Also.. is the game ACTUALLY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: xy.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
xy.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
Is X/Y being way too easy a meme?

Also.. is the game ACTUALLY fucking scaled around having EXP share turned on?

I'm playing through it for the first time ever, turned off EXP share based on what you guys said and I'm slowly falling behind in levels. At the 3rd gym leader and my pokemon appear to be 3-4 levels below most trainers.

Going back to what I said first, the amount of high ATK stat dark, fighting, and rock pokemon stabbing the fuck out of my team every route is seriously unlike any game prior. Where are the bugs and birds and plants for the first half of the game? I'm having to put so much effort into not getting OHKO'd by these pokemon with ridiculous move sets before the third fucking gym leader.

My team is
Vaporeon lv. 28
Farfetch'd lv. 27
Kirlia lv. 27 - Holy shit this thing hasn't learned an offensive move in 20 levels
and Bagon lv. 27

Getting really sick of burning through super potions and revives
>>
>>26892505
>Is X a meme?
I'm tired of this meme.
Oh, and plus, the game is easy, with or without the exp share or set mode.
>>
The problem is it makes the game a cake walk for people who go out of their way to search for new pokemon or fight every trainer.
The EXP share is obviously OP. Everyone knows this. However turning it off does not solve the problems of trainers having bad pokemon (yes Gamefreak apologists I know other games have this issue too)

It comes to a point where to have a game that isn't a complete cakewalk you have to avoid using a lot of the gimmicks like supertraining, o-powers, or the exp share. Even things like the mega lucario you are given.

Compared to Gen 5 the exp system was made around forcing you to train your whole team and it made overleveling certain pokemon a waste of time.

So no, it is not a meme.
>>
>>26892537

thank you for the detailed reply

but like I mentioned the amount of hard hitting physical rock/fighting attacks on pokemon with good stats has been devastating without abusing those gimmicks. without them this game would actually be pretty hard in my opinion desu
>>
>>26892505
Play a romhack of XY that balances it around the exp share
>>
That's a good tea-
>Farfetch'd
>>
>>26892505
Unlike most, I didn't grow up playing every game when they came out. I played Crsyatl when it came out, then nothing until getting a DS Lite and 3DS and played everything from Emerald to OR over a couple years. I played XY while playing Emerald and right after Black 2. Y definitely felt easier to me. I can't use the excuse of "I played X as a dumb kid"

I never used the EXP share, and trained 12 Pokemon instead of 6. The only time I ever had trouble was Clemont (not to the point of losing) and the rival battles near the end, and that's only because I didn't expect the battles to be so close together. Its definitely not a meme.
>>
>>26892505
They are easier, but there some random trainers with strong pokemon( the guy with Kadabra out of Lumiose, the Black Belts and Battle Girls in Reflection cave, and some others). You'll notice that any advantage the NPC could have against you will disappear after the 4th Gym.
Also you are using Bagon who eat a lot of exp and Farfetch'd who is Farfetch'd
>>
>>26892607
>>26892867
>not using brofetch'd
>>
If you turn EXP Share off, it becomes moderately challenging. Lysandre's Mega Gyarados in particular becomes a pain. Granted, I found the entire series to be easy, so it's relative.
>>
>>26892537
>you have to avoid using a lot of the gimmicks like supertraining, o-powers, or the exp share
Honestly the only one you have to avoid using is Exp Share and only because it comes turned on by default

I never used O-Powers and Super Training in my normal playthrough, not because I had to go out of my way not to use them, but because I just didn't give a shit
>>
The game is balanced around using EXP Share while rotating out a ton of Pokemon rather than just sticking with one team of six. Like 20 at least. It's why the combined Kalos Dex has like 450 Pokemon and no Pokemon shows up in more than one area, they want you to experiment as much as possible and EXP Share makes it actually feasible.
>>
>>26892505
The only things that piss me off regarding XY's difficulty are the boss battles. Not only because of the artificial 3 Pokemon limit (which was also in gen 5 anyways) but because their teams are just plain shit. When the second to last gym leader in the game uses a sub-450 BST psychic cat as his signature then no shit the games are going to feel easy. There is a reason most Nuzlockers find Lysandre and Siebold hard, and that's because Gyarados just rips niggas apart.
>>
>>26892505

I just finished a run of Y and had a very similar experience, OP.

I never used EXP Share, I only raised the same 6 pokemon throughout, and I went out of my way to look up, and fight every possible trainer.
Despite all of this, around the 3rd Gym I was really struggling because of my team being underleveled. At one point, I was raging because I kept wiping in Reflection Cave. My playthrough remained an uphill battle until around the climax of the Team Flare storyline. After that, I was having very little trouble tearing through the remaining routes, gyms and eventually Victory Road. The Pokemon League proved to be a respectable challenge, requiring me to use a lot of my 99x Max Revives/Full Restores (Money in this game, unlike experience is TOO easy to come by with Amulet Coin).

Overall, I think that XY being easy IS a meme, perpetuated by people who probably EV trained and bred their team as they played, or were using specifically crafted teams to overcome every obstacle.

I let my team develop organically as I played, and ended up with something like a Rain Dance compostition.

This is the team I used. At the start, I swapped out Froakie for the Phione I bred from the Event Manaphy.
>>
>>26893619
>phione
>aroarus

Nah senpai it's your shitty team
>>
>>26893619
>3 water types
>two rock types
Reeeee
excellent taste in mons, though.
>>
>>26893753

I agree, if I had used Greninja, Charizard, Aegislash, Lucario, Talonflame and Yveltal, like the game wanted me to, I would have had a much easier time.

Maybe the lesson here is to avoid using OU mons if you want a challenge?
>>
>>26893837
>Aegislash
>Talonflame
The other 4 you're completely right on, but the game doesn't force you to use these two.

I agree though, using shitmons is much more fun.
>>
>>26892505
the great amount of overpowering mons easily obtainable is what cheated the game's difficulty, together with exp share obviously

damn, two starters, one of them with mega, mega lucario, lapras, easy to catch Honedge, Ralts and shit like that
>>
>>26893058
>466 is sub-450
Beartic is just as shitty if not worse but i don't see you complaining about that.
>>
The real meme is ORAS being easy because unlike XY, turning off exp share actually does make a huge difference because it's not balanced around it at all.
Literally the same game after the 3rd gym, minus free legendary.
>>
>>26892505
I swept the champion with a Butterfree. You tell me.
>>
>>26894172
You can beat every Pokemon game with a fucking Magikarp, that's not an argument at all.
>>
>>26893619
>Aurorus.
Damn, I'm getting war flashbacks to my own main story Aurorus. I liked its design so much, but just about every trainer of note had something that wrecked it cause of that typing. What a shame.
>>
>>26892505
I agree that XY was very easy to beat compared to other games, but that is generally the problem with any rpg. Either you are underleveled and is too difficult, or you are overleveled and is balls-to-the-wall easy.
>>
>>26894268

So true. There were so many surprise Flash Cannons and Gyro Balls. Poor thing was set up for failure.
>>
>>26892505
Yo OP, just started the game 3 weeks ago going real slow, trying to beat the game only with greninja
>>
>>26892595
Then git gud, kiddo.
>>
>>26892599
But the Gen 6 romhacks fucking suck. They make the games harder by giving trainers Legendaries and Mythicals, which is just not the way to do it.
>>
>>26892505
>>26892505
>my pokemon appear to be 3-4 levels below most trainers.
That's exactly where they should be.
>>
I started a Y run three days ago and I'm very pleased with it, since there's lots and lots of things you can do before even getting the second medal, which is very refreshing since previous games were very lineal (except Gen 4 I guess) so this run has been much more enjoyable than my X a couple of years ago.

The game is indeed hard if you limit yourself a bit, and by limit I mean not using those handouts like the second starter or Lucario.

Considering they're entirely optional, I'd say the game is as difficult as you want it to be, which is wonderful because it works both ways (specially if you're a kid and want to have fun instead of endless grinding)

And Exp Share is a Godsend, when used in the right circumstances.

One of the worst things in past games was trying to add a new element on your team after the third or fourth gym. It was a nightmare because you had to switch back and forth, keep the stupid underleveled from fainting etc etc.
Now, a new team member can travel with you until or join you anytime, and it can fight its own battles after a short time. Very convenient.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.