[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should Cut be a TM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: TM-570x380.png (427 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
TM-570x380.png
427 KB, 570x380
With TM's now having unlimited uses, and can't be sold or held thanks to Gen VI.
Should Cut be made into a TM because of this, the move itself has a low base power, making it very useless for battles, and it also takes up a slot in your moveset.
>>
You shouldn't have to use cut to progress in the game. They should give you an item like an axe or something to gate progress.
>>
Are you asking for them to do away with HMs entirely or just come up with new ones?
>>
>>26877131
All hm should be replaced with TMs
And possibly turn them into items.
>>
>>26877142

>removing utility from your pokemon
it sounds like you should play another series

there are plenty of ways to make HMs non-intrusive without removing the only purpose your pokemon have outside of battle
>>
>>26877185
Pokemon can have purpose outside of battle without ruining their move sets, make so you need a fire type to burn down the tree or something. HMs are lazy and pointless.
>>
>>26877218
>Pokemon can have purpose outside of battle without ruining their move sets

Yes, no shit, that's what I'm saying. You don't need to relegate it to items.

>HMs are lazy
>items aren't

this faggot
>>
>>26877131
Why is he holding a save icon?
>>
>>26877293
Because he wants to spread the word of Jesus Christ as our lord and savior.
>>
>>26877131
Moves like cut were HMs originally to encourage you to catch Pokemon you otherwise wouldn't. Supposedly.
Or should we just make the games that much easier?
>>
>>26877507
Except fucking everything can learn cut you shit
>>
>>26877524
In Gen 1, less than 20 families of Pokemon can learn cut.
>>
>>26877507
I'd be more inclined to use them if cut wasn't such a shit move
>>
>>26877131
>not having an HM slave
>>
File: fartmunch.gif (206 KB, 217x198) Image search: [Google]
fartmunch.gif
206 KB, 217x198
>>26877640
Not putting Cut on Charizard for coverage.
>>
>>26877650
>not using M-Pinsir Aerilate Stab Cut
>>
>>26877178
You can't make surf a HM because you can't forget it while you're surfing. They won't let us get trapped besides the Finneon for Magikarp trade in Sinnoh.
>>
They should all be TMs. Either that or have HMs no longer be moves used in battle.
>>
>>26878155
>Cut
>Not Strength
Max damage
>>
>>26877547
2 of the starters and the regional rodent I don't know what you're talking about

They also hand you a lapras for surf if you don't have a water type
>>
>>26879045
Rattata and Raticate can't learn cut in gen 1, surprisingly.
>>
>>26879055
fucking Kadabra and Diglett could
>>
My hope is that they do away with HMs completely. Keep the moves as additional TMs, absolutely, but remove their field abilities. Make all of the utility key-item based instead. An axe or some shears for cut. A collapsible hang glider or something for fly. A surf board for surf. Some variation of the legend of zelda Power Gauntlet for strength. A flashlight for flash. some sort of hammer for rock smash. (admittedly i have nothing for waterfall) climbing gear for rock climb. scuba gear for dive.
>>
>>26879117
Making these utilities key-item based would remove potential game-breaking situations where a new save file could import a pokemon with the needed HM to access something intended for late-game. All of the key items would be distributed at specific points in the storyline, and because they aren't tradable between games, the developers can pace the game however they want.
>>
>>26877640
needing an HM slave is shit gameplay
>>
Moves are only put into TM status if they are not even once properly required to traverse an area
>>
Clawed pokemon should just be able to cut shit down without a shitty move being taught to them.
>>
>>26877142
An axe is way to overkill for a pokemon game, that'd be close to actually giving you a freaking weapon. At best gardening scissors or some shit but not a fucking axe.
>>
>remove HMs now that TMs are infinite
>make all HMs into TMs
>implement items that function like HMs but you get them through money/sidequests
>TMs still function like those items if you have them on your pokemon
Worked alright for Headbutt and Flash.
>>
Every Pokemon that can use flash should be able to use Flash without teaching it (once you obtain it), every Pokemon that can fly should be able to use Fly, Surf if it can swim etc.
>>
>>26879017
I think we're already in an age where video games are advanced enough to avoid such a problem
>>
I want it so that instead of HMs, you learn from the gyms you face, as well as the gym leader's guidance, how to overcome the HM content.

>Second Gym teaches you how to cut down obstacles in your path, allowing you to cut down trees upon defeating the gym leader
>Fourth gym teaches you how to overcome insurmountable odds, allowing your pokemon to push large boulders for you when you beat the gym leader
>Fifth gym teaches you balance so you don't fall off when surfing. I mean, what else works here?
>Seventh gym teaches you something about revisiting the past to better yourself for the future, or something like that. You are allowed to fly on pokemon with this badge.

You still get the HMs, and they still count as HMs, but they are not necessary for travel as your pokemon learn how to apply these effects in the overworld without knowing a move.

Think about it; Scyther doesn't naturally learn Cut, and it has giant scythe arms. It's not extinct, so it must do SOMETHING with those sharp claws, right? There's also water pokemon and surfing, and strong pokemon and Strength. Imagine a Machoke that couldn't move a boulder, or a Seaking that doesn't know how to swim. How sad is that?
>>
>>26877185
Uh, remember the spray-bottle from gen 2?
>>
>>26877131
No. What seperates TMs and HMs now is you can't forget HM moves by normal means. It's setup that way in order to idiot proof the game where players won't get stuck and be unable to progress through the game.
>>
>>26880132
It's impossible to get stuck with Cut, Strength and Rock Smash any more though, and you were never able to get stuck with Flash.

As far as I can tell the clutch ones remain Fly and Surf
>>
>>26877293

Because he likes floppy discks.
>>
>>26879889

This.

Instead of the Gyms letting you use HM moves outside of battle, they'll let you have your Pokemon apply overworld effects. Select pokemon that have or can perform bioluminescence can use Flash, pokemon with wings (or psychic cleansing powers, that works too) can do Defog, etc.

And since Gym badges are specific to an individual save file, the game can still apply its pacing like >>26879136 said.
>>
>>26880161
If you save, then reset the game, the obstacles will also be reset.
>>
>>26877185
I take it you weren't a fan of the eon flute? Because that shit was so welcomed.
>>
File: eradurctur.png (57 KB, 1910x872) Image search: [Google]
eradurctur.png
57 KB, 1910x872
>>26877131
honestly there are very few real changes that need to be made to allow for HMs to not be annoying.

1. don't make them impossible to remove unless by a very specific person
2. give the option to have it be learned as a move, utility move, or both
with utility it would NOT show up in the movepool but still show up as normal when selecting a pokemon in your team from the menu.
>>
Cut, for all intents and purposes, should be identical to the move Slash.
>>
If your Pokemon can learn the HM move, they can do it outside of battle, that way you still need to build a diverse team, but don't need to waste a move slot.
>>
>>26881913
>make trees and rocks permadestroyed
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.