[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the HGSS hacking community ever looked into making the game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2
File: Pallet.png (145 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
Pallet.png
145 KB, 300x278
Has the HGSS hacking community ever looked into making the game playable "backwards" as such? IE starting in Pallet Town, defeating the 8 Kanto gym leaders, defeating the Kanto League and then heading to Johto?

Is Gen IV hacking even there yet? Could it be done?
>>
Will never not be annoyed that the ugliest gen, gen 3, got the most attention in the romhacking community,
>>
>>26877043
Holy fuck I never realized how much I wanted this
>>
>>26877043
That would be awesome, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard imo.
>>
>>26877043
I know pokemon heart red is a thing but its only up to the third gym and probably won't have Johto
>>
>>26877043
People been hacking generation IV, V and VI for a while now.
>>
Google "pokemon heart red." Boom. Done.
>>
>>26877052

1 and 2 are too annoying to get QoL changes to and gen 4 onward is hard to make major change too (i:e more substantial then all Pokemon/difficulty mods)
>>
>>26877052
I haven't followed rom hacking in years but IIRC gen 3 was incredibly easy to work with and you could basically completely transform the game with very limited scripting knowledge because there were so many easy tool available. Gen IV hacking was very limited at the time but I assume they must have caught up by now.
>>
>>26877130
Not quite what I was looking for but cool all the same. Looks like development is going at a snail's pace though, and really not worth playing until it's finished. Also doubt he'll ever touch Johto.
>>
>>26877043
I'm pretty sure it has been tried, this is the only one I can remember
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?9766-Pokemon-Special-DS-%28PSDS%29
>>
>>26877043
i need dis
>>
Why do people release beta's that aren't complete campaign wise
I was getting into a light platinum ds port after catching 2 shines only to find out the game isn't done past the first gym
Why don't you just shit out the main stuff then go back and sharpen up everything else
You don't completly finish a room when the rest of the house isn't built
>>
That would be really time-consuming if not difficult. You'd have to copy and paste the progression flags from the entire game in different events, then go over the game again fixing the level curve (Gen2 level curve joke unintended) , then fix the map, removing progression stoppers and moving around HM requirements. And if you want to either "port" the original story to Kanto or introduce the RBYFRLG story, it's even more work and things that have to be either moved around or outright reworked from zero, it's a nightmare codewise.

>>26877710
Because people want to see the progress, they're dumb like that. Also your analogy is dumb.
You let people see the first redecorated room while everything else doesn't even have doors to tide them over and make them stop complaining about no house.
>>
>>26877710
How do you know that's not what they're doing?
>>
>>26877043
Are you talking about HeartRed?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=329029
>>
>>26877743
Surely it's significantly less work than anyone who's ever had to design and map an entirely new region, as well as fill it with custom art/sprite assets?
>>
>>26877801
Well. Obviously having to make hundreds of assets from zero is going to bite into a lot more of your time but I don't see how it applies to my original post. Extensive modding isn't the same as a TC.
Tweaking the entire game on 3 different fronts (encounters, scripting, map) is slow, dull and thankless work which often explains why progress on modding is glacial.
Mind you I'm speaking from a software development + other game modding perspective alone, I haven't looked at pokeromhacking since gen3
>>
On the subject of Gen IV romhacking, have they ever figured out how to edit the location page for pokemon in the pokedex? Last I checked a few years ago they were stumped.
>>
>>26877052
So much this.
But, >>26877140 is right.
>>
Gen 4 rom hacking needs to take off. Gen 5 would be nice too, but I know that is incredibly hard to work with and it doesn't look great unless you use proper emulation.

HeartRed is barely finished.

>>26877052
Gen 3 was insanely easy to hack even back when it first came out. People have tried with gen 4 but usually just gave up.
>>
>>26877933
It's a real shame it hasn't. For me, Gen IV is the most visually and mechanically sound generation, hands down. I wish this could be properly capitalised on.
>>
>>26877043
Already in development. Google it.
>>
>>26877886
Very interested in the answer to this, as I could never fathom why such a seemingly simple thing would be so hard to edit.
>>
>>26878096
Because we don't have a disassembly or knowledge of the coding language.

Because of this, we can edit things like in-game text and pokémon data but can't dictate where and how it is used by the game.
>>
>>26878168
>or knowledge of the coding language
What do you mean by this? We do know it uses ARM.
>>
>>26878208
We can't edit how the game actually uses it. Like how text boxes arrows are centered in Gen 5 or the day night system in 4
>>
>>26878168
Ah, that makes sense.
So the inability to edit the location page still exists, then? Do you know of any ongoing progress to obtain the required info to edit things of this nature?
>>
>>26878235
Why not? You can if you disassemble it on your own.
>>
>>26878243
Haven't really dabbled in it for over a year. Maybe I can help move this along in the future.
I decided my project would be more effective in Essentials.
>>
>>26877043
Pokemon Der Erif
>>
>>26880146
That's a fire red hack doe
>>
>>26880725
Didn't notice HGSS at first in the OP
>>
>wanting Gen IV hacks
What I'd like is a "HGSS Gen V"
Platinum too for that matter. God I hate playing Gen IV games.
>>
>>26880748
Gen V always looked a little rough around the edges to me.
Like something is very unpolished about the sprites in battle and out of it.
>>
>>26880757
Battles sprite are just horrible to look at. The overworld is fine I guess at least.
>>
>>26880757
Gen IV is the awkward 2.75D middle child between Gen IV's simple but perfected visuals and Gen VI's pretty solid 3D world. The DS just wasn't powerful enough to make what they wanted to do look nice.
>>
no, but it was done for Crystal with the TPP anniversary hack
>>
>>26877043
Generation IV and onwards are significantly more difficult to straight up manipulate, not necessarily because they're hard but more because gen 3 games and assets are hugely tile-based, which is rpgmaker-tier flexible.

That being said, mods and romhacks are doable (and some have been attempted), but there are so few of them that it's negligible.
Hell, look at gen 3 romhacks alone, a tiny fraction of them ever get finished and even less of them are even passable when 'finished', which leaves a dried up, pathetic pool of decent hacks to pick from.
And that's for the game that's piss-easy to work with.
>>
>>26877052
>>26877933
I'll forever be surprised that people don't just make a pokemon maker instead of limiting themselves to the original hardware.
>>
>>26877052
FRLG looks great. Lots of hacks are of them.

It's hard to hack a gen4/5 game to the extent that many GBA/GBC/GB games are hacked.
>>
Don't worry, in 20 years or so, we'll maybe have a disassembled gen 4.
>>
>>26885089
Because rpgmaker is unoptimized garbage, and most creators won't bother trying to improve it.
It will never run as smooth as the original games.
And no mobile.
>>
File: 1457946647031.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457946647031.png
2 MB, 1280x720
>>26885258
>because RPGmaker
I said NOT limiting yourself cupcake.

>not as smooth as original games
This is some blatant untruth.

>no mobile
I'm not a child. I either work or am too busy to play videogames. There's no reason to play videogames away from a big screen and a comfy couch/chair. And if you disagree you're lying to yourself.
>>
rpgmaker and essentials is ass
>>
>>26885418
>This is some blatant untruth.
Nice opinion.

>I'm not a child. I either work or am too busy to play videogames. There's no reason to play videogames away from a big screen and a comfy couch/chair. And if you disagree you're lying to yourself.
Nice bait.
The reason Pokemon is for handhelds is because you can play them anywhere, hence the name Pocket Monsters.
I only ever play Pokemon while in tranzit, or when I'm not at home and bored.
>>
>>26878264
You say that like disassembling a game, even a simpler game like the Game Boy Pokémon games, isn't a time consuming effort. Yellow didn't get fully disassembled until this year.

People spent a long time trying to disassemble Emerald until it proved near-impossible to copy certain things bit-for-bit due to GF using an odd, specific thing to compile the games that I can't detail because I haven't been paying too much attention. They've had a more promising project disassembling Ruby and it looks like that will go to completion, but I'm sure trying to disassemble a Gen 4 game would be a lot harder than disassembling Emerald.
>>
>>26885652
Well, I never assumed it was easy, but it made it sound like there was something that prevented anyone to even try to reverse engineer them.

>I'm sure trying to disassemble a Gen 4 game would be a lot harder than disassembling Emerald.
Because the ARM9 used by the DS is harder than just ARM7 alone or for reasons similar to the ones you described above regarding Emerald? Or both? Mind you I don't know much, I'm just wondering.
>>
>>26885702
>>26885209
>>
>>26885724
That doesn't answer my questions.
>>
>>26885751
I know.
>>
>>26885702
I'm not an expert on the subject either, but if I had to guess I'd assume the latter would be a bigger issue.

That, and just size. Emerald is 16MB. Diamond, the smallest Pokémon game on DS, is 64MB, and Black 2 is 524MB. I'm sure a lot of that is graphics and music, but they're undoubtedly more complex games, and I'm sure just the overworld shit would be nightmarish compared to how Gen 3 does its overworld, considering how complex just trying to edit maps in Gen 4 and 5 is.
>>
>>26885585
>opinion
Stopped reading there. I haven't stated my opinion at all. Everything I've said are objective truths
>>
>>26885824
>>o
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>26885585
The newer RPG maker series allows for mobile game play.

But Pokemon Essentials is only for RMXP.
>>
>>26877052
I love Gen 3, but the hacking for it is overdone.
I would love to see some Gen 4 hacks
>>
>>26885089
The tried that with Essentials, but Essentials is liquefied shit.
>>
>>26886064
Pokemon Essentials is RPG maker. So no, you're wrong.
>>
>>26886074
How am I wrong? They made Essentials, with RPG Maker as a base, to try to surpass the limits of the original hardware.
>>
>>26886079
Read >>>26885418
>>
>>26886099
>I said NOT limiting yourself cupcake.

You said not limiting yourself to the original hardware. Essentials, as much as I fucking hate it, does surpass the limits of GBA in terms of what you can do, even if what you do in Essentials ends up being shit.
>>
>>26886123
With some enginuity I'm sure you could do whatever it is you want to achieve with rom hacking as well.
Except you need to learn.
>>
>>26886123
>>You said not limiting yourself to the original hardware
I said not limiting yourself to one thing, implying limiting yourself to another thing? dont be retarded.
>>
>>26886171
>I said not limiting yourself to one thing

No, you specifically said, and I am quoting you word-for-word:

>>26885089
>I'll forever be surprised that people don't just make a pokemon maker instead of limiting themselves to the original hardware.
>the original hardware

If that wasn't what you meant just say so,but don't call me wrong for responding to your post the way you wrote it.

>>26886144
This is true, though, people really underestimate ROMhacking. The only reason we haven't seen some REAL crazy shit with Gen 1 and Gen 2 hacking post-disassembly is because people seem to be terrified of assembly code.
>>
>>26886202
>This is true, though, people really underestimate ROMhacking.
And it really doesn't help when most hacks are sub-par and made by edgy teens.
>>
>>26886202
>I said not limiting yourself to one thing, implying limiting yourself to another thing?
That's what I said.
>>
>>26886401
You said that AFTER I replied to you.
>>
>>26886435
>>I said not limiting yourself to one thing, implying limiting yourself to another thing?
>>
>>26886438
The first time you said that was 20:03:05 EST. The first time I replied to you was 19:53:23 EST. I was replying to a post written at 18:33:55 EST, where you specifically mentioned original hardware, and I gave an answer that only weighed in going for something not limited by original hardware. You called me wrong before the post you wrote at 20:03:05 EST that you are currently quoting, and that is the cause of our current debacle.

I'm trying especially hard here to be as specific as possible right now so you fully understand, because it seems like you aren't understanding me.
>>
>>26886482
>>I said not limiting yourself to one thing, implying limiting yourself to another thing?
>>
>>26882281
TPPAC stops at Vermillion before you go to Johto, though.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.