[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you handle a more story centric mainline Pokemon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
How would you handle a more story centric mainline Pokemon?
>>
>>26870669
>>
I would focus on fighting the villains.
>>
>>26870669
I wouldn't mind a series of them. Always thought it would be cool to be a detective with your pokes ever since Looker.
>>
>>26870669
Have well developed NPC charactersyou meet in towns instead of annoying rivals that constantly interrupt you
>>
I would like to be given at least the option of joining one of the villainous teams and vie for world domination.
>>
I think 'go from town to town, defeat evil teams and gym leaders and become thee e4 champion' is enough of a story for me.
>>
>>26871654
One of those is not a part of it.
>>
I want a game where you play Charles the Heartbreaker and you ride from town to town dispensing justice and teaching people how to rotation battle.
>>
>>26870669

Having a literal who pop up and shove a random story isn't good pacing regardless of how interesting the story is
>>
>>26871677
one of what isn't what of a what now??
>>
>>26871902
There is something in there that is not the main point of the game. Guess which one.
>>
All you have to do is get rid of the badge system and you can do whatever you want with the series.

I, personally, would implement a gameplay style where instead of hopping from town to town in a specific sequence, you'd chill out in an expansive city full of bustling districts; completing missions and traversing dungeons.
>>
>>26870669
Bring back Cipher
>>
>>26871918
the main point of the game is catching them all. nevertheless, overcoming challanges on your way to the hall of fame is how the game's stories are.
>>
>>26871972
You can't have one without the other. If the game was designed that way, it was designed that way, no ifs ands or buts about it. Battling is just as important as collecting.
>>
>>26872027
sure it is. thats why i say, there is a story here already.
>>
>>26871933
Amen anon, we need Miror B back in town
>>
>>26872052
But it's the same story each time around. It doesn't matter that the evil team is slightly different.
>>
A pre-war game would be cool; either 3000 years ago or one where Lt. Surge is still young. Gym leaders aren't really a thing and the league hasn't been established, but rather there are commanders to defeat.
>>
>>26872052
Then an effort has to be made to make sure that idiots do not mistake this game for something it's not.
>>
>>26872065
oh, you wanted a DIFFERENT story. should have said so in the first place.

well that depends on the plot really. and how it intrigates into the game.
>>
>>26872098
what is the game not for, anon?
>>
>>26872131
Adventure (doesn't exist) Friendship (a lie)
>>
>>26870669
I liked XY's story. Lots of DEEPEST LORE.
I hated Team Fag tho
>>
File: 1466008977794.jpg (77 KB, 400x551) Image search: [Google]
1466008977794.jpg
77 KB, 400x551
>>26872122
>oh, you wanted a DIFFERENT story. should have said so in the first place.
Most fans like new installments to have a different story from the previous one.
>>
>>26872154
Traveling the land engaging in actions and puzzles doesn't count as an adventure?
Friendship does exist. But only the bonds you have between you and your virtual pets are the friendship here. and its as much a friendship any video game can give you friendship.
>>
>>26872332
No, it doesn't. Adventure implies substance. There is no substance.
>>
Gameplay > story
>>
>>26872332
>its as much a friendship any video game can give you friendship
Have you never played a game other than Pokemon?

Even Trevor, Tierno, and Shauna had a better bond with the player than your pokemon.
>>
>>26871378
>"h-hey, let's hang out in the forest, anon. I love losing to you because you're my special friend."
>>
>>26872264
>citation needed
>>
File: 1255697534951.jpg (35 KB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
1255697534951.jpg
35 KB, 402x604
>>26872264
>most
*citation needed*
>>
>>26872414
what substance?

>>26872431
imaginary bond is imaginary bond.
-someone who plays vns
>>
>>26872462
>>26872455
Citation: the fanbase of any game other than Pokemon will rage if the plot is a rehash if a previous installment.
>>
>>26872475
Headcanons don't substitute for actual character interaction.
>>
>weave the myths of the region into the story like Kalos did
>larger cast of characters that have more depth to them like in pmd
>have a plot twist on the level of pokemon ranger: guardian signs
>have the plot reach an exciting climax like in dppt
>>
>>26872484
warcraft 1 plot:
orcs attack humans, humans repel them
warcraft 2 plot
orcs attack humans, humans repel them

CoD plot
there be terrorists, kill them

Doom plot
do i really need to go on at this point? the details change, but its the same overall. question is, however, how

anyway, you still didn't give source.

>>26872511
>interactions
getting with my team trough fire and ice isn't headcanon. it gave me- when i was a kid- sense of achievment and a sense of bond with my mons.
>>
>>26872546
>question is, however, how
derp, ignore this part.
>>
>>26872546
You've clearly never played any of the games you listed if you think that's the plot.
>>
>>26872546
...You either are a kid or you're not. It pretty much doesn't matter what your answer is. You're underaged if you are and if you're not, then you're an adult who shouldn't be playing this game.
>>
>>26870669
Most pokemon games have a single story. I would got with many small stories that culminate into something big. That story being directly involved in you becoming a champion. Stories have become so disconnected from the main objective of the game which is to become champion and catch them all. I would rather a story where gym leaders and the elite four play some important role instead of some evil group being stopped. Every story doesn't have to be a world ending situation.
>>
How about a story where the gyms are a training regime for future wars but the player has the option to learn more about the regime throughout the story and oppose it on a second playthrough?
>>
>>26872628
NO, YOU WILL CATCH EVERYTHING AND BECOME THE BEST AND YOU WILL LOVE IT! NOW FORCE YOUR POKEMON TO RUN THE DEATH GAUNTLET
>>
>>26872573
thats the plot as a whole.

>>26872580
I'm having hard time getting to the end of your opinion. there is fellowship in pokemon. its a game aimed at kid, so it isn't suprising adults are missing out. its still there.

and yes, because i don't feel much of that fellowship anymore that i stopped playing.
...well, thats part of the reason.
>>
>>26872716
>thats the plot as a whole.
No it isn't.
>>
>>26870683
but op is probably looking for something that is good
>>
>>26872771
ok, i didnt play cod.
does the plot defers from game to game?
>>
>>26872820
The plot is consoderably different from each game. They don't have a continuous plot stretching between each game however. They aren't anything more engaging than a summer action flick, but there is a plot. And anyone who says otherwise is just riding the hate bandwagon.

And for future reference, "Kill the enemy" is the objective of CoD. Not the plot.
"Collect pokemon and defeat the trainers" is the objective in Pokemon.

To say that Pokemon games all have the same plot is misspeaking. They have the same objective. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

The plot for pokemon games, as little as there is, is different each time around. When people say they want a more story centric game they mean that they want more focus on character development and interaction; something more than just the bond you form with your party.

BW & BW2 were a step in the right direction, but XY was a step back.
>>
>>26872968
>BW & BW2 were a step in the right direction, but XY was a step back.
I disagree, and I think people mostly only have this impression because BW and BW2 were a continuous story and because BW broke the usual formula of how the games play out, whereas XY went back to the same formula. XY actually has a very intricate, if cliché, plot backing it. I'd honestly say it was more in-depth than BW, just they did nothing with your usual game progression like they did with BW which can give the impression that there was a less tied in story. Ialso happen to tinhnk BW had better themes but didn't execute them quite as well, whereas I think XY's themes were less something only Pokémon could do (as the whole plot is pretty typical of a JRPG type plot) but I think it was better executed. Having a "true villain" really undermined what BW was about I think, and it made it quite, uh, black and white, when its themes of truth and ideals are not really that simple.
>>
>>26872968
I don't think so. What BW did was just make the villains have the same goal as you, meaning you HAVE to face them. It changed nothing about what you do or why you're doing it. They were simply forced into what you were already doing.
>>
>>26873024
Also another reason Xy might appear to have less story focus is because the legendary actually doesnt' really matter. The story of BW is about the heritage and relation fo the dragons and the brothers.. XY is more about Lysandre and the story of AZ the and history of Kalos which isn't tied to the legendary neyond "the legendary participated in the war" and that's about it. The legendary wasn't important to the story they were telling about the people in other words, whereas BW's story was about enacting a prophecy with the legends.
>>
Where exactly do you think your game ends?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.