[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the eviolite the reason we will never get new evos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8
File: Dream_Eviolite_Sprite.png (4 KB, 88x90) Image search: [Google]
Dream_Eviolite_Sprite.png
4 KB, 88x90
As most of you may know, GF's cross gen evos were all introduced with one common trait: They all needed a new method, not available in the previous games, to be obtained. Gen 2 brang item trade evos, friendship evos, and time of day evos. Gen four brought many new methods, like move learning, new stones, items + time of day level ups, etc.

The point is, you take from this that GF tends to want to keep some sort of continuity, so that it'd make sense not to be able to evolve to a specific evolution previously.

However, gen V introduced this horrid item, the eviolite. It increases the defense of NFE pokemon. This means that if a pokemon from gen V onwards isn't affected by eviolite, then it will nefver be, to keep GF's continuity. You can see this in effect as of now, as no new evos have been introduced since gen IV, or more accurately, since the reveal of this item

In fact it seems a part of the reason megas were introduced was to sort of solve this issue.

What do you think? will we ever see new evos for old pokemons ever again? or are they predestined to a mega as a best case scenario?
>>
>Gen 2
>Introducing trade evolutions

>Gen 5
>Introducing Eviolite

???
>>
lots of pokemon could use eviolite and still be awful

eviolite ariados is shit

eviloite sunflora is trash
>>
>>26857526
Gen 2 trade evolutions required an item not found in Gen 1
>>
>>26857526
I said item trade evolutions, like scizor and steelix, and the eviolite was introduced in BW, so it was gen V
>>
Gamefreak doesnt give a shit about continuity. You can see this most plainly in evolutions where they gave Gen 4 evos with the "know a certain move" to evolve bullshit, which would've been fine if it weren't for the fact that those mons could learn those moves in earlier gens already.
>>
>>26857533
It's not about balance. It's about continuity.
>>
>>26857545
Thats bait anon

>>26857541
pokemon like mamoswine couldn't learn their evo move prior to gen IV
>>
This makes me so fucking mad.

Why the FUCK do they care that much about "continuity" with certain things like evolution methods and breeding with incenses, but for others like new moves and CHANGING POKÉMON TYPES they don't care?

No one is going to care if something "doesn't make sense" with previous games, it's a fucking video game. You don't have to explain shit like that.
>>
>>26857553
but others could
>>
>>26857541
That only happened for like, two Pokemon and in Lickitung's case it was an obscure as fuck emerald tutor move.
>>
>>26857562
Which pokemon, I'm curious?
>>
Megas are a completely different entity, a gimmick.

Eviolite isn't an issue from a gameplay standpoint with the wide availability of knock off and stat altering moves, and If you really want to put it into perspective, you can say mega evolution is largely akin to eviolite except for the attack stats.
>>
>>26857553
Why did you use the absolute worst example possible? Piloswine is one of the only two who that's accurate since it could get Ancientpower in Gen 3.

You could've said Tangela, Yanma, or at least Aipom.
>>
>>26857553
Piloswine has always been able to get ancientpower. Lickitung has been able to get rollout since gen 3.

The evos used moves that very much were already learnable.
>>
>>26857562
Which one?
Piloswine, Tangela, and Yanma couldn't learn ancient power in before gen 4
Lickitung couldn't learn Rollout before gen 4
Double hit didn't exist before gen 4
Mime Jr didn't exist before gen 4
That's all the Pokemon that evolve by knowing a move in gen 4.
>>
>as no new evos have been introduced since gen IV
>Sylveon exists

Also, I seriously doubt that Gamefreak have stopped designing new evolutions just because of one item that they could easily leave behind in a past generation a la typed gems (bar normal gem)
>>
>>26857582
Forgot Bonsly. He also didn't exist before gen 4.
>>
>>26857579
Are you sure? I checked bulbapedo and it said the pokemon who evolve with the move cant learn it prior to gen IV, lickitung is the only exception.

>>26857570
>>26857533
People think for some reason I was saying I think the eviolite is unbalanced, I meant it makes GF think they shouldn't make new evos, because it wouldn't make sense for those pokemon getting evos to not be able to use eviolite in previous games
>>
>>26857567
Piloswine could have Ancient Power via Breeding since Gen II
>>
>>26857582
Not only did you forget Bonsly existing, but ancientpower was plain as day, a breeding move for Piloswine. You can't even use the "obscure as fuck" thing that >>26857563 mentioned.
>>
>>26857500
>horrid item
Fuck off.
Eviolite made Porygon2 so much better and be able to stand the test of time.
>>
>>26857588
True, but thats because eevee already had evos, maybe pokemon with evos have a chance to get new extra evos, like ralts did. The eviolite continuity thing still stands
>>
>>26857588
Sylveon evolved from a Pokemon that could already evolve, meaning there was no change to eviolite's effectiveness on Eevee.
>>
>>26857588
>sylveon
>a side evolution, notably, one wherein the pre-evolution is already able to use an eviolite, the entire point of OP's post.

Something like Tropius isn't going to ever evolve. Something like Dusclops could easily get a different split evolution in Gen 7.
>>
>>26857582
Lickitung learns Rollout via Tutor in Emerald
Piloswine could get Ancient Power via Breeding since Gen II

check your facts before you post, anon kun
>>
If you think continuity is the issue, go to Unova and use Draco Meteor on a Clefairy, and then again in Kalos.
>>
>>26857500
>brang
It's "brought," you troglodyte.
>>
>>26857609
I stand corrected. Lickitung also learns Rollout by TM in gen 2.
>>
File: 1449902227503.png (272 KB, 618x381) Image search: [Google]
1449902227503.png
272 KB, 618x381
>>26857582
>Piloswine
Wrong. Swinub gets it via breeding with Wooper in gen II and Kecleon in gen III.
>Lickitung
Wrong as well. Lickitung can learn rollout via TM in gen II and move tutor in gen III (Emerald)
>>
File: temp.png (100 KB, 1366x738) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
100 KB, 1366x738
>>26857591
>Are you sure? I checked bulbapedo and it said the pokemon who evolve with the move cant learn it prior to gen IV, lickitung is the only exception.
Did you literally even do that?
>>
>>26857623
Sorry, english isn't my native language. Looking back on it, I didn't make the mistake in the next sentence, so that was just careless of me.

The thread has disolved into people trying to prove the continuity thing from evos with moves in gen IV is slightly false. Alright, but what about all the other points? what about the evidence hinting that we really are never getting any more new evos?
>>
Well if continuity isn't an issue then maybe one day we can gen more Pokemon that evolve with Dawn stone. Hopefully?
>>
>Clefairys all of a sudden laugh at Dragon moves
>>
>>26857653
Two things in a row can be a coincidence.

3 might be a pattern.

It's only been 2 gens since Gen 4. I honestly believe that you're right, but with only two gens for potential old evolutions, and one of those two gens' gimmicks being "only new Pokemon", it's hard to really provide evidence for.
>>
we aren't getting any new evos or preevos this gen,its kinda obvious.
>>
>>26857597
>Porygon2

My nigga.

There isn't a single game I don't win because of this fucker.

>switch into Mega Mom trying to Suckerpunch my Gengar or my Pikachu
>literally trace Parental Bond
>Charge Beam twice for a Nasty Plot Charge Beam or Ice Beam twice for a lucky, but guaranteed, Freeze
>switch into a Poison Heal Gliscor trying to toxic my Garchomp
>suddenly Trace Poison Heal and my opponent realizes their sin too late

Porygon2 is the APEX of clutch.
>>
>>26857597
Would anyone be mad if Eviolite was made exclusive to Porygon2?
>>
>>26857760
I personally wouldn't, the only eviolite Pokemon I use is porygon2, but it would probably upset people who use doublade and pink blob: wall edition.
>>
testing if bane
>>
>>26857777
>use it on Dusclops too and Gothorita

Well, as far from experience, only Porygon2 can reliably use it since it has the HP and the stats to survive anything.
>>
> as no new evos have been introduced since gen IV

um sir what is Sylveon?
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
>>26857691
Porygon2 is never leaving my top 3 Pokémon. It having the god tier Trace and being able to tank so much shit just made it so much more satisfying to use it.
>>
>continuity
>retconned an entire type in
Off the top of my head Whitney's team is only half normal now.
>>
>>26857854
Same.

The fact that it can take a STAB Focus Blast without outright dying is pure Gold.
>>
The Eviolite is both a blessing and a curse.
>>
Idk
Did game freak come up for a reason why my snubbull got btfo by dragon attacks in gen 2
>>
>>26857555
This thas thus
>>
>>26857500
eviolite farfetch would wreck shit
>>
They could just remove eviolite from the next game dumb ass.

Also, "it would be inconsistent" is a totally baseless and irrelevant reason we won't get new cross gen evolutions. Literally every game introduces inconsistencies. Fairy type, the phys spec split, mechanics, move power and values change, the INTRODUCTION OF NEW FUCKING POKEMON, hell even the new methods for cross gen evolutions excuse doesn't hold up because Piloswine could learn ancient power in gen II.
>>
OP, I honestly believe your theory makes sense; it's true that every gen introduces new elements to the game and some of them are contradictory to what was previously stablished, but I really doubt the reason for them not adding new evolutions to old pokémon is just one item, I think the reason is as simple as they just want to make the new regions to stand up for their own pokémon and not for adding to old ones. And even if eviolite is the reason, they could just get rid of it in Gen VII since you can't bring items from one gen to another.
>>
>>26857545
I speak as someone with clinically diagnosed high-functioning autism: that's Chris-chan level autistic, you imbecile.
>>
What pokémon would desperately need an Evo before a Mega?

I can only thing of Mr Mime, Jynx and Lapras.
>>
>>26857500
>>26857588
perhaps sylveon is another proof that we aren't getting new evolutions for older pokemon
you see, every new eeveelution introduced after gen1 was part of a duo that one type has type advantage against the other one. A dragon-type eevee would be perfect to show that fairy-types are stronger against dragons, but with GF new policy to not bring new evos, that didn't happened.
>>
>>26863552

Lapras could be fine with a Mega, actually. It already had the stats to compete with fully evolved pokemon for the first three generations. It just needs a bit of a power boost and it'll be fine.

Jynx needs an evo. It was part of a trio, and was the only one to not receive an evo in the 4th gen. An eviolite wouldn't benefit it much, because its defensive stats are still shit.

As for Mr. Mime... I'd say either a mega or a regular evo would work. Or we could just give him nothing because he's always been kind of a piece of shit.
>>
>>26857648

i lold
>>
>>26863552
Magcargo desperately needs one, as does every standalone shitmons like delibird and dunsparce
>>
>>26865869

>Jynx needs an evo

This. But dont botch it like Electivire/mostly Magmortar.

also anon when i was a child Mr. Mime was my favorite pokemon, but now i feel so uncomfortable with that reality
>>
>>26857590
>Gale of darkness
>>
>>26866404
Mr. Mime is cute though! Especially in the anime.
>>
>GF tends to want to keep some sort of continuity
They retconed Clefairy's typing after 17 years, GF doesn't give a fuck about continuity
>>
Most Pokémon that people want to get evos wouldn't be good even with Eviolite.
Gamefreak doesn't care about continuity
>>
>>26866636
This precisely.
And if they did, they could easily remove eviolte - see gems and soul dew.
>>
>>26857555
Honestly I kind of appreciate the breeding methods

If I was trying to breed a good chansey and had to keep evolving Happiny every time that would get old
>>
>>26857777
>>
I think the bigger problem is certain pokemon being able to use eviolite if they were to evolve, like Tentacruel
>>
What about a pokemon that evolves while holding evoilite
>>
>>26857500
uh, continuity isn't the issue. The issue is gen 4's evolutions were absolute trash with limited exceptions and were so poorly received that they attempted a soft reboot in gen 5 and made sure megas were only temporary.
Heck, gamefreak is never even bothered by continuity, the information in the newest game is always canon. Theres plenty of examples of a newer game overriding an older one. I mean for fucks sake, gen 2 had johto pokemon in kanto and behaved as if they'd always been there
>>
>>26867701
Hey cool didn't even notice I got quads
>>
>>26867756
Tentacruel doesn't need an evo, it's fine as it is.

I always thought it looked cool actually and it's very usable.
>>
>>26870198
The point was that if it was given an evo, Tentacruel would be OP with Eviolite
>>
Well, seeing Sylveon's CRAZY popularity im sure we'll get at least more new Eeveelutions
>>
>>26870229
Bug and poison Eeveelutions in gen 7? fits the tropical island theme.
>>
>>26857500
>brang

Well, I still browse /vp/, may as well be in primary school.
>>
>>26857533
Neither of those Pokemon evolve...
>>
>>26870217
but nobody srsly thinks tentacruel needs an evo. people talk about pokemon like farfetch or magcargo that need one.
>>
>>26870315
You're an idiot
>>
>>26857760
Maybe they can retcon the item to something like a RAM stick
>>
File: Sablewhy.jpg (7 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
Sablewhy.jpg
7 KB, 250x236
>>26857500
Imagine some of the insane shit that could happen if certain Pokes got access to eviolite.

>Eviolite Weezing
>Eviolite Cofagrigus
>Eviolite Snorlax
>Eviolite Steelix
>Eviolite Avalugg

I hope we get more cross gen evos, but only if they don't have trade with item requirements. Doubly so if the item you need in unobtainable until post game.
>>
>>26868047
I have never ever seen so much shit taste and false assumptions in a single post. You are officially the most autistic faggot on this entire board.

You should kill yourself.
>>
File: 1463622379662.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1463622379662.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>26873359
>Imying any of those pokes need to evolve
>Implying weezing needs any improvement

Fuck off with this, my bro is amazing as is
>>
>>26873404
I wasn't implying Weezing needed an evolution, just that being able to use him with an eviolite would be cool.
>>
File: 1465850702993.jpg (41 KB, 600x503) Image search: [Google]
1465850702993.jpg
41 KB, 600x503
>>26873359
Inane you say?
>Eviolite ferrothorn
>Eviolite Gliscor
>Eviolite Shuckle

Wew
>>
>>26857890
>The fact that it can take a STAB Focus Blast
What even uses STAB Focus Blast?
>>
>>26873404
Weezing could really use Slack Off or Recover
>>
>Gen VII introduces gen-cross evos comeback
>Eviolite is nowhere to be found in S/M
>???
>Profit
>>
>>26873466
>>eviolite Gliscor
what's the point when you can run toxic orb?
>>
>>26857500
You think too far ahead. They don't care about a particular item keeping its functionality forever in a casual game.
They'll do what makes them the most money.

If they manage to make a very marketable evolution for a Pokemon, they will do it. That's what Mega Evolution is. If you really want a culprit for no new evolutions, blame Mega Evolution.
>>
>>26873359
The only one I want is cofagrigus, because I would love it and that would probably make it OU viable, but it's already a fully complete Pokemon, it doesn't need an evolution.
Also
>suggesting evos for 3 stage Pokemon
>>
>>26857500
Piloswine could learn Ancientpower before gen 4.
>>
>>26875075
None of those are 3 stagers
>>
>>26857500
>Is the eviolite the reason we will never get new evos?
No, because
- Only fully evolved pokemon should be able to learn hyper beam
- Porygon and Porygon2 can still learn hyper beam
- GF still hasn't "fixed" that
They're just being lazy.

But it's probably because cross gen evos would have to come from different continents now (Continental 'Murrica, France, Hawaii) instead of "different parts of Japan."
>>
>>26875481
Trapinch gets Hyper Beam
>>
>>26875498
Yeah, there's a few exceptions to that "rule," but back in the day that was the case.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.