[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How true is this /vp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 18
File: 1466638402877.jpg (101 KB, 699x600) Image search: [Google]
1466638402877.jpg
101 KB, 699x600
How true is this /vp/?
>>
>>26838247
I used a bug type move on a klefkey. Because I knew it would be immune to my poison type moves. I then promptly after the fight gave a ground type move to my beedrill. Kids should know these things.
>>
>>26838247
Pokémon was for kids and is still for kids? Seems accurate.
>>
How is it spoonfeeding when you
A. need to catch the pokemon first for it to appear, and by then you'd know what its type and by extension its weaknesses and resistances immediately
B. have to consider what the opponent could switch in, making the feature irrelevant online
>>
>>26838247
They said that they only show up after your first battle against that pokemon, so I don't really mind.
>>
>>26838271
>what is learning all on your own
>>
>>26838247
Didn't they say that the effectiveness messages only appear if you have fought the Pokemon before and used those moves?

So if its new it won't say?
>>
>>26838247
Only casuals complain about this feature.
Prove me wrong.
>>
Come across Caterpie
Beat it
Check pokedex
Know it's bug type
Keep this in mind for the future
Now the game does it for me

How is this a bad thing?
>>
File: 1372514952888.gif (3 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1372514952888.gif
3 MB, 355x200
>yfw it indirectly tells you that you're fighting a Zoroark because the weaknesses don't match up
>>
Very true. There's nothing you can do about it, though.
>>
top is how hamburger wrappers at fast food joints these days tell you the nutrition facts on it

bottom is how you used to have to ask the cashier to bring out the dusty reference chart from the storage room
>>
>>26838308
>Implying all kids are as autistic as you
Fucking kek, never change /vp/.
>>
>>26838451
I really doubt that would happen. It will probably show the type match-ups for the species Zoroark is disguised as.

The real question is whether abilities like levitate will affect the tips.
>>
I just don't like how patronizing it is and how ugly and cluttered it makes the interface.

Honestly, I kind of like it when I make a wrong choice of move. Pokemon's difficulty is such a joke now that doing slightly less damage than intended makes the game more exciting.
>>
>>26838247
True enough I guess? But it's not like it matters. You would have had to memorize or look them up otherwise so...why should I care?
>>
>>26838247
There're way too many Pokémon. They'll never trim or delete them, and they'll increase their number every new generation. They need to give people (expecially kids) a way to make fights interesting and that includes helping you to remember their type. Also, it's not like you can't browse internet on your phone/pc while playing, they're just giving you info you already have access to.
>>
Oh no, they're dumbing down a children's game. This is terrible.
>>
File: gs.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>/vp/ 2000
>HOLY SHIT IN GOLD AND SILVER THEY ARE MAKING THIS LITTLE BLUE BAR THAT SHOW HOW MUCH EXP OUR POKEMON NEED TO LEVEL UP
>IN MY DAYS WE HAD TO GO TO THE MENU AND LOOK IT UP, STOP SPOONFEEDING US GAMEFREAK!
>>
>>26838562
Shut up, nerd.
>>
>>26838562
That's nowhere near as significant and you know it. That's just basic RPG shit.
>>
>>26838584
>>26838592
I'm just showing how stupid and manchild you sound
>>
>>26838451
Are you retarded?
>>
Genwunners will complain about any fucking improvement they make to these games

Just find a new series for fuck's sake, you're never going to like any of the new pokemon titles
>>
>>26838592
Knowing the type effectiveness easily is also basic RPG shit.
>>
>>26838592
>That's just basic RPG shit.
So is highlighting the super effective moves you fuck.
>>
>>26838604
But like >>26838592 said, EXP bar is has 0 to 1% as impact as the effectiveness of a move against a pokemon.
>>
File: typechart.png (58 KB, 752x829) Image search: [Google]
typechart.png
58 KB, 752x829
F-fucking autists, not having the type effectiveness chart committed to memory
>>
>>26838624
>>26838625
No, you should already know the types or learn them by yourself. The exp bar is just for convenience.
>>
>>26838247

False.
>>
>>26838651
And the types effectiveness are convenience either
Games like Dragon Quest don't have exp bar, you actually have to go to the church to see how much you need to level up
>>
>/vp/ doesn't have the type chart burned into their brains
You can't make this shit up. Some Pokémon fans you are.
>>
It isn't. It's just /vp/ grasping at straws to find something to bitch about since we don't know a lot about the games yet.
>>
theory: not everyone playing sun/moon will have been with the series since day 1; on the contrary, the main demographic is children who will only have one or two (if any) games under their belts
again this is just a hypothesis so excuse me if its wrong
>>
>>26838451
>Send out zoroark disguised as mienshao
>Opponent tries to use psychic on it because it says is SE
>It didn't affected the opposing mienshao...
>Opponent keeps doing it because he doesn't knows what's happening
>Get 3 free nasty plots
>Sweep
>>
>>26838720
That's not a theory you dingleberry. That's a supposition based on fact of life.
>>
>>26838501
>learning by yourself is autistic now
I bet you never picked up the dictionary and always bothered your parents and other people because you didn't know the meaning of a word.
>>
>>26838720
There was a thread the other day with people claiming weather, different balls and other stuff were introduced in gen 5. That says it all I think.
>>
>>26838936
If someone is retarded enough to use the same thing 3 times when it didn't work the first time odds are they were going to be swept anyway.
>>
>>26838247
Probably true but I don't care since I'm unaffected.

The only reason this would upset anyone is if they were being a tremendous faggot who was judging today's youth by juxtaposing their childhood experiences with their own. Only an old, jaded fuck gives a crap about "kids these days".
>>
>>26839106
You haven't fought enough children.
Their brains literally cannot grasp trial-and-error yet.
Their though process is "Mewtwo's psystrike is ultimate!"
>>
>>26838651
nigga what RPGs have you played

because even as far as early RPGs scanning someone will already reveal their weaknesses easily, and some even only relies on you scanning once per enemy type
>>
/vp/ (or Tumblr as I like to call them) defend everything GF does.
QR codes and Pokebank are features that are advertised by GF. Just play the damn games when they come out
>>
>>26839163
>Their brains literally cannot grasp trial-and-error yet.
Just because you were retarded as a child doesn't mean everyone is. Every child grasp said concept unless they're actually mentally ill.
>>
honestly, i'm okay with this, this isn't really handholding like something like rotom dex telling you exactly what to do without asking it.

I mean you guys already know the matchups, it's only making it easier for kids and it doesn't make the game easier for us, you understand this right?

If you wanna complain about difficulty complain about rotom dex possibly handholding(though I think you have to specifically ask it for it to help you though, hopefully it wont give you hints)
>>
>>26838696
B-But new players! Which obviously don't include me, I've been here all summer!
>>
I miss Gen V-era leaks, no one batted an eye when they saw the store and PC being at the same building.

>>26839721
it's not even handholding since even the hardest RPGs have this feature, and the fact that this has restrictions
>>
>>26838247
Oh please, this doesn't decrease the difficulty of the game, it was all memorization anyways.
>>
>>26838451
It'd probably show what's supereffective on the illusion, actually. I can't imagine they'd break a Pokemon like that.
>>
>>26838247
I don't see anything wrong with giving kids a reminder. It's like the people complaining that you don't need to grind anymore, tedium doesnt equal difficulty. Give children a chance to learn it differently, the games focus has clearly shifted over to online competitive battling anyway.

The "hardcore" story players are insecure casuals who think memorizing the type chart and effectiveness for almost any pokemon is a great feat.
>>
>>26838592
>rise mentions a shadows weakness
UGH STOP SPOONFEEDING US ATLUS
>>
>>26839163
Hence the new type effectiveness interface. I don't see the big deal.
>>
You already know the type effectiveness. Why does it matter?
>>
>>26838247
REPLACE THE BOTTOM GIRL WITH A MAN IN HIS MID TWENTIES AND IT'LL BE FAR MORE ACCURATE.
>>
>>26838247
I think it's accurate but I'll probably like it. The same thing is in Etrian Odyssey games except you have to press a reference button like you do in SM to check what the moves do. I'm okay with how those games handle this so it should be fine in pokemon.
>>
You mean people dont have to play without the wiki open 24/7? Why is this a bad thing.
>>
the ability to see the BUFFS on pokemon was needed
>>
>>26838511
Probably not, since that would also fuck over pokemon that could possibly have abilities like heatproof, thick fat, water absorb, volt absorb, etc.

Hopefully the effectiveness interface will ignore abilities completely or update once the ability has been discovered (e.g. eartquake shows it will be super effectice on bronzong, but after triggering levitate, it now it says the attack will do 0 damage)
>>
jesus christ it doesn't appear the first time you fight a pokemon so kids still need to figure out their weaknesses, after that it just saves you from remembering so it doesn't make anything any easier unless some 10 year old has dementia

being mad about this feature really makes you autistic
>>
File: 1456756291095.png (190 KB, 475x886) Image search: [Google]
1456756291095.png
190 KB, 475x886
>>26840093
mfw they add even more info, like the number of turns left in trick room, weather, or other various effcts. Basically the info that showdown shows you in their UI
>>
>>26838281
nah it's for little babies now.
>>
>>26838621
Yo-kai Watch
>>
File: index.png (3 KB, 138x124) Image search: [Google]
index.png
3 KB, 138x124
>>26839867
>>
>>26838247

>they still haven't thrown out possible damage done and accuracy at you

No, you are a big babby.
>>
we can only hope much like the free switch after a knock out, the match up tips will not exist in multiplayer
>>
>>26839124
>Only an old, jaded fuck gives a crap about "kids these days".
Hey man, I give a fuck about "kids these days" because they get cool as shit stuff like Skylanders while I'm too old and see the mediocre gameplay for what it is.
>>
>>26838247
why the fuck do you care, it's not like you don't know the type match-ups anyway. in what possible way could this affect you personally?
>>
I don't think I am THAT autistic but I do have a story that relates to this whole thing and that is
>With a grill who I was friends with throughout HS
>Dating her now
>We both play pokemon and like similar shit
>She has been playing her whole life like me and also still buys the games as soon as they come out
>She asks me to battle (previous to us dating)
>I'm not THAT good, I know about EVs and shit and have EV trained pokemon but I also have a team of UU and lower
>She has a mix, a few OU but not a bad team, just uses what she likes
>Regularly throughout the battle will use stuff that obviously wont work like fighting moves on ghost, or psychic moves on dark. Even when that doesnt happen, she will have the time advantage and just not use SE moves
>She wasnt actually terrible just every time it happened I was super confused
>Next day I am telling a few friends about this because at the time it upset me enough that I thought she was like... brain dead
Anyways, moral of the story is that sometimes people don't hold this shit to memory. You can have someone be a lifelong fan of the games and not remember this shit after a while.
>>
>>26841301

>he didn't know that she was holding punches in order not to hurt his ego

You're an alpha male, chap. This happened all the time.
>>
I legitimately did not know that Bug wasn't weak to Poison all the way up to gen 5.
>>
>>26842965
It used to be in Generation I. That could be the problem.
>>
>>26838638
Why are you stuttering, anon?
Are you well?
>>
File: kidsgameboy_610.jpg (59 KB, 610x334) Image search: [Google]
kidsgameboy_610.jpg
59 KB, 610x334
>>26838247

Op you are one of the true pokemon fans out there. Pokemon getting more and more dumper, so idiots finally can beat the elite4. I wish we can get games hard like original gold/silver, players have to deal with pokemon who are 5 - 10 Levels+ above they own pokemon and find for your OWN out what is super effective and what not.
>>
>>26842965

'cause you are an idiot, like i stated above!
>>
It just changed from a google table to a game improvement.
If you think the effectiveness indicator is a bad thing, you are a nigger and thus, not allowed to opinion.
>>
>>26843127
>I wish we can get games hard like original gold/silver, players have to deal with pokemon who are 5 - 10 Levels+ above they own pokemon
The scaling in GSC was terrible. You were extremely overleveled for the trainer battles, overleveled for the gyms, and underleveled for the elite 4.
Did we play the same game?
>>
>>26843177
This.
>>
File: 1447920451367.jpg (475 KB, 980x952) Image search: [Google]
1447920451367.jpg
475 KB, 980x952
>>26843172
>If you think the effectiveness indicator is a bad thing, you are a nigger and thus, not allowed to opinion.
I think it's a decent improvement and a big step forward for GF but c'mon, did you REALLY have to look these things up every time that you played?
Only nogs lack the brain capacity to memorize a basic typing chart. Who's nigging who?
>>
File: stat changes.jpg (39 KB, 555x417) Image search: [Google]
stat changes.jpg
39 KB, 555x417
It literally does not matter as majority of people will just be using the first move always as it hits the hardest and they can just spam the A button.
>>
>>26843177
>>26843201

Whites and asians who licking white asses are overrated anyway. Funny how faggots who using nignogs slang praysing the dumping down of pokemon, proof that whites and asians who worship whites are retarded idiots. Hoping that in the near future we will get hard pokemon games, like i say 5 - 10 levels above your own pokemon, deleting the 6x exp sahre too.
>>
>>26841301
She's your GF of course she's going to let you win. That's what girls do. They know that it bruises a guy's ego to loose to a girl so (while they may go out of their way to actually try to beat/out do their male friends or family to stroke their own egos) they tend to not try very hard with their BF because they don't want him to get butthurt if they win.
>>
>>26840093

no, it wasn't. people need to pay attention when they play.
>>
>>26843419
BUT I WANTED HER TO WIN YOU DONT UNDERSTAND
I WOULDVE LIKED HER MORE IF SHE WAS A SEASONED CHAMP
>>
>>26838651

even games like fire emblem show you effectiveness before attacking
>>
>>26843419

fuck that my bf gets no mercy
>>
File: you're gay.jpg (32 KB, 462x385) Image search: [Google]
you're gay.jpg
32 KB, 462x385
>>26843306
>>
File: 1459064475040.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459064475040.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>26843306
>Playing pokemon for difficulty
>>
>>26843306
>producing this masterpiece of a post
>calling anyone else retarded
>>
>>26840780
Wider audience and gets them hooked younger
>>
>>26843217
I will actually appreciate this. I am spoiled by Showdown/Netbattle showing you the stat-ups.
>>
>>26843127

>Pokemon getting more and more dumper

Are you proud of that?
>>
>>26839721
I think the only reason people are mad is because now they can't use that as an advantage over other people any more.
>>
>>26838638
also I do know this shit but I always forgot
that rock makes neutral damage to water/grass
>>
>>26838562
>Ferraligatr this underlevelled
>inb4 MUH JOHTO SHITTY LEVEL CURVE
>>
>>26839687
Kids are retarded and you were probably also retarded when you were a kid. Have you ever fought with a kid to do his or her homework? Bull fucking shit they "want to learn", learning is the biggest turn off for these shit heads.

Only difference today is kids have way less time and a ton more games at their fingertips for Pokemon to compete with. They don't have to beg for their parents to let them rent a game from the store, they just download free shit within a minute to get distracted by. My cousins are in the 10-14 age range and can't get through a dungeon of LoZ without getting bored and starting up Minecraft instead.

Kids don't want to learn at a young age they want instant gratification. And since Pokemon Company want kids to keep interested in their series they make the games as easy and accessible as possible. Faulting them for that because you're more entitled than the whiny brats the company is appealing to is retarded, especially since most games are going through the same competitive transition.
>>
>>26838247
>Eating cereal with a glass of milk
I think the kid on the bottom is the actual retard.
>>
>>26846989
>when I notice it
top kek
>>
>>26846989
thats not a balanced breakfast at all
>>
File: crystal.jpg (222 KB, 1221x564) Image search: [Google]
crystal.jpg
222 KB, 1221x564
>>26846891
>underleveled
that is exactly the level a pokemon that's part of a 6-man team will be up against the League without grinding, though
>>
>>26846891
Honestly he's a little overleveled. You go into the elite 4 at about level 32.
>>
File: cupkek.jpg (113 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
cupkek.jpg
113 KB, 500x667
>>26838247
>he still doesn't understand the limits of 90's technology
>>
>>26846891
>Ferraligatr
Water/Steel mega when?
>>
>>26847452
This. I'm sure that the 6 year old version of everyone on /vp/ would've killed for a feature like this. Besides, it only appears after you have encountered the Pokemon, so it isn't an advantage or gives you any information you wouldn't be able to search for.
>>
>>26838247
>not bothering to mention that somewhere along the line, i assume in Gen 4, it listed the type of the move when previously you'd have to memorize that too

Especially since in Gen 1 a lot of moves are Normal-type for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>26838686
why not point to what moves to pick and which to forget, based on what foes you'll run in to. convenient, right?
>>
>>26848260
What are you talking about?
>>
>>26838247
>learning type advantages from the anime
>"water conducts electricity!"
>"pikachu can defeat a rhyhorn!"

Kids these days have it easy. They don't have an excuse to be retarded.
>>
>>26848339
The Game Boy and GBA games don't have colored borders on moves to show their types. Gen 1 doesn't even have a way to see the types or power of moves IIRC
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2141x3248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2141x3248
>>26848387
Power, no. Types, yes. Since gen one
>>
>>26848387
I think the colored borders were mostly asthetical. It still showed the type
>>
>>26843217
oh shit thats nice, looks a little rough but thats much needed
>>
>>26848485
Gust was normal?
>>
>>26848577
Yes. Karate Chop was also Normal IIRC
>>
>>26843913
Apparently you've never played VGC and had to stare down a Smeargle that had been on the field for 2 turns. Shit even top players of the format like Aaron Zheng and Wolfe Glick forget to pay attention to that shit on occasion. This has been necessary since Dark Void has been legal on Smeargle for the formats it's been allowed in.
>>
its a stupid addition
>but muh new players

they should be teaching them the type chart not giving them the answer
>>
>>26848952
Calm down Hitler.
>>
File: 1466042821427s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1466042821427s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>26843306
Minority detected
>>
>>26839932
Upgrades to the reference menu were the greatest thing to ever happen to EO. Now you can see ailment/bind weaknesses/resists in battle.
>>
File: 1466042943864s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1466042943864s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>26843419
My grill whoops my ass when she can.
>>
>playing genwun
>looking at dex gives you the types for mons
>attacks have names, PP and their type
STOP SPOONFEEDING US GF

>ITT
>>
>>26849391
This. Also, the HP indicator, the fact we are able to see which is the other pokémon. Those things are absurd. It was much fun when you just mashed random buttons and figured out which move you used, and which pokémon you faced.
>>
>>26849405
the fact we were able to know which mon we fought against was outrageous
also I don't get why we get to know which mon we are using, we should be guessing it, fucking spoonfeeding
>>
File: 1466023765048.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1466023765048.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>26845166
>>
Back in gen 1 things were often obtuse just for the sake of being confusing. The Special stat is one of the biggest ones. I don't think it's ever explained anywhere in-game what it is or that there's a difference between special and physical types. I'm sure there were a lot of confused kids sweeping Pokemon Stadium with their Mewtwo up until they got walled by that damn Chansey.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.