[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Hits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: crit.png (30 KB, 961x639) Image search: [Google]
crit.png
30 KB, 961x639
We've all been there. You're about to win as long as your opponent doesn't crit. What are the odds, right? Then it happens, then you lose. I think it's safe to say pokemon fans generally dislike critical hits, but what do you all think? Should GF just remove crits? They seem really unhealthy for a strategy game.
>>
By that logic, we shouldn't have accuracy or anything else involving random chances.
>>
It works both ways, though. I've won countless battles, more than I've lost, I dare say, thanks to critical hits. Battles I really shouldn't have won, I hasten to add.
>>
>>26802927
I don't remember the exact quote, but I remember someone heavily involved with pokemon made the game based on chance in order to give newer players a chance to win.
In most games, the more experienced player will always win, but if you add chance to the mix, there is a possibility that the new one might win one of those battles.
Fuck whoever did that, if you are shit at whatever game you shouldn't be able to win because of fucking luck.
>>
>>26802927
git gud you fucking worthless faggot
>>
File: 1353538849572.jpg (434 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1353538849572.jpg
434 KB, 1024x768
>>26802927
>I think it's safe to say pokemon fans generally dislike critical hits
Sounds like you've never met a person that likes RPGs before. Nothing is as sexy as that clutch 20.
>>
>>26803027
my word, old boy, perchance you should git gud if crits help you so much, you old bean
>>
>>26803061
>>26802927
>Someone just beat me with a crit, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

>>26803061
>implying crits aren't a standard feature in virtually all RPGs
Play something that isn't Pokemon, dumbass.
>>
>>26803084
>Implying most RPGs have a competitive following and mayor world tournaments

This is why underage autistic fuckups like you shouldn't be allowed to post, you only make yourself like a fucking moron.
>>
Required, at least in the beginning. That was one of the only way to defeat an enemy in Gen 1 that kept statupping
>>
File: 1466300887633.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
1466300887633.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>26803101
>mayor world tournaments
>>
They're much better now that they're only 1.5x damage instead of 2x. Still annoying as fuck in a nuzlocke though
>>
File: 1466115569544.jpg (6 KB, 168x200) Image search: [Google]
1466115569544.jpg
6 KB, 168x200
>>26802927

Yes, remove them.

RNG is one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming in general. Literally every single game that ever had or had RNG would be better without it. Card games like poker don't count because they didn't originate as video games.
>>
>>26803076
The thing with crits its that there's barely any support for it and the few mons that have support for it require an item AND a spesific shallow movepool to make it to a meh 50% chance, which is greatly outclassed by simply slapping a choice band into any mon since you want to use the same move anyway and it can still crit, im not saying crits are bad but in the form they are now they don't feel like something that belongs in the game mechanics, the synergies it has are shallow and limited and often specialized post main game cookie cuter builds, and the playerbase hate for them is that the player chooses super efective moves that OHKO most mons or are overleved anyway so a crit its almost always unnecesary while a crit against the player hurts really bad
>>
>>26803143
And yet I'm told Skyrim ruined TES forever by not having random misses.
>>
File: implying.jpg (16 KB, 263x200) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
16 KB, 263x200
>>26803143
>RNG is one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming in general
Go back to play chess and see how fucking fun it is you faggot
>>
>>26803101
Why won't you play a game that tests your reaction times and prediction then? Pokemon's fun and all but it doesn't require as much skill as you want it to.
>>
File: paul-rudd-conan.jpg (146 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
paul-rudd-conan.jpg
146 KB, 1200x675
>>26803101
>implying pokemon is a well made competitive game
>implying the game play should cater to the competitive fan base over its biggest market

You serious?
>>
>>26803143
Rng is the worst until it benefits you somehow then it's great.
>>
>>26803157
Chess is fun as fuck
>>
>>26803157
You really don't like chess?
>>
>>26802927
Crits got nerfed this gen. Shut up and quit your bitching. It would be nice if the game gave greater means to utilize crits and invest in them as a strategy.
>>
>>26803143

*has or had

>>26803157

Chess is great.

>>26803154

The random misses in Morrowind was the dumbest shit ever and fuck the hipster faggots who say that was the best Elder Scrolls game.
>>
>gather up to 20 Love Balls from Apricorns in HGSS, which already takes way too fucking long
>go out to get a Gligar, get its HP into red and put it to sleep
>throw all 20 and not a single one catches it
RNG is inherently garbage, but it's not going away any time soon.
>>
>>26803238
You pretty much only miss if you're stamina is retarded low
>>
Here's what no one's addressing.

Do you know why critical hits bypass defense boosts, and aren't purely a damage boost? Critical hits exist to speed the game up by intrinsically rewarding aggression and punishing defensive play. Every turn you spend either boosting or healing is a turn you spend NOT attacking, and likewise, the longer and the more turns you dedicate to defensive play the more likely it is you'll be hit by at least one crit. The critical hits are random because it means no turn is inherently safe or predetermined to be a turn you can afford to boost or heal, meaning every single turn you don't attack is a risk. The exact same logic also applies to attacks with secondary effects. The more time you spend stalling them out, the more likely it is you'll get fucked over because they exist specifically to disincentivize that style of play. This applies even offensively if you're not stalling, because of the way say, a burn can cripple a retaliation or a flinch only works if you go first. As a way to reward investing in speed and striking first rather than rewarding taking a hit, surviving and retaliating.

If you lose because of a crit, it's YOUR fault for using a playstyle that invites or aggravates the possibility of that happening instead of playing in an aggressive way that both gives you more opportunities to crit the opponent and reduces their chances of critting you. Minimizing risk and manufacturing scenarios to best take advantage of chance related mechanics are skills in and of themselves.
>>
>>26803378
>most informed post kills thread
Wew lad
>>
>>26803625
It can't be helped, we're all allergic to logic.
>>
>>26803176
It does test prediction, not reaction time, though. Pokemon could be very competitive, if they'd just remove crit and make most moves 100% accurate, barring OHKO, etc.
>>
On;y Smongfags hate crits, i'm surprised they haven't removed them from showdown. They want to ban all luck and hax hence the dumbass swagger ban.
>>
>>26805336
You even called it hax yourself. Who enjoys having their pokemon die to random dumb luck crits? There's no skill or knowledge there.
>>
>>26803378
You are very right, this is why crits should still exist. Problem is, the way they are configured do not always serve this purpose.
Crit rate for a regular attack should be 0% unless stated otherwise. This percentage should only be affected by secondary effect, items, abilities, etc, etc AND, to fill the purpose you mentioned, some mechanic like increasing the rate after repeated attempts of a pokemon making the same attack or something similar, in order to break stalls.
>>
>>26805416
Crits are a part of Pokemon. If you want to win based on skill and knowledge find a new game.
>>
>>26803378
>>26803126
Sensible posts.

What GF needs to do next is secretly make crits very unlikely to happen consecutively. It's already fairly unlikey but for some reason it seems to happen a lot. Same with freezing/flinching/et cetera.

A random crit is fun. It can throw you on your back foot when you don't expect it or let you come back from a losing battle if you play it well.
A series of crits and status hits doesn't feel cool or rewarding. It's infuriating to have happen to you and weird and gimmicky to give out.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.