[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. Can you tell me why I see people badmouthing these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
Hey guys. Can you tell me why I see people badmouthing these games all the time? I've played the original version (and Emerald) more than any other Pokémon game and I love them and now someone is trying to sell me Alpha Saphire and I'm wondering if I should get it.

What's wrong with it? Why do you guys apparently hate it? I haven't heard much about these games, to be honest. They kind of came out but didn't make much noise for all I can tell.
>>
I enjoy oras, but people might not like it because:

a - shitposting
b - no battle frontier
c - hate rse
d - not much post game for them
>>
>>26781254
It's just a meme.
>>
>battle frontier removed for no reason
>no post game until Game Freak felt like it, and even then it's just Battle Maison for the THIRD TIME
>that Brendan design
>turning Wally into a nine year old for no fucking reason
>turning Contests into a side story
>Delta Episode with interesting character lasts less than a fucking hour to beat
>Magma/Aqua conflict toned down, no presence of opposite version team, no epic Groudon and Kyogre showdown like in Emerald

It really felt like they didn't even want to make this game and just did so to make a quick buck. I really wanted a good 3D Emerald experience after the mess that X/Y was and was given a shitty rushed half added game for the second time in a row.

I really don't get how GameFreak can drop the ball this hard after the Black/White series. They had gold and made me believe that Pokemon games could be good again. I really hope Sun/Moon can bring back the spark that Black/White did for me.
>>
if you liked the originals there's nothing overtly worse about the remakes
>>
File: interesting.jpg (21 KB, 350x342) Image search: [Google]
interesting.jpg
21 KB, 350x342
>>26781325
>no battle frontier

Couldn't care less for that.

>not much post game for them

Ah I see. Back when I played the original Sapphire and Emerald I didn't do much post game. Never cared. But now I do. If that is the only flaw then I think I can take it.

By the way, I've seen people here saying the game is too easy for some reason. Is it? Is it easier than the original versions? What makes it so?
>>
>>26781254

They're perfectly fine games. /vp/ just likes whining about every minor flaw because /vp/.
>>
>>26781371
It's another meme just turn off the exp share and you'll be fine.
>>
File: pat pluggin in.jpg (32 KB, 423x464) Image search: [Google]
pat pluggin in.jpg
32 KB, 423x464
>>26781357
>no epic Groudon and Kyogre showdown like in Emerald

I thought that would happen. They didn't remake Emerald after all, just the original two games. That is a shame. So Rayquaza isn't in the games either?

Aside from making more money, is there any reason why those fuckers don't remake the third and better version of each gen instead of remaking the two originals?
>>
>>26781371
Pokemon games in general are easy, but I think a lot of people are pissed in the lack of challenge coming from Black/White.

Look at the battles between N and Ghetsis and then look at the final showdown between Aqua/Magma. A final story boss having only two pokemon is a fucking joke.
>>
>>26781371
I wasn't ever a fan of battle tents, so I could care less as well.

There wasn't much post game for RS either, just Lati@s, Battle Tower, and Rayquaza.

The game being easier than the original versions may be because of the physical/special split, the reuseable TMs, or being older/more knowledgeable with pokemon. Or because they had the EXP All on.

When I restarted my file, I still had difficult times.
>>
>>26781409
Rayquaza is in, but he's post game story. Which wouldn't be so bad if, again, it wasn't so short and easy.

And they'dnever make the superior final version of the games because then they couldn't charge people for two separate copies.
>>
>>26781371
>Is it easier than the original versions?
Yes.

>What makes it so?
Mostly that everybody playing it is now ten years older, smarter, and more experienced with the series.
>>
If you like Hoenn, you'll probably like it.
People only bitch about it because they have good taste.
>>
File: oras [email protected] (633 KB, 469x835) Image search: [Google]
oras lati@s.png
633 KB, 469x835
>>26781254
The game has almost NO Emerald content. No Frontier, no Gym Leader rematches, no areas like Mirage Tower, etc.

The game has much more handholding than RSE, including several parts of the game where you get teleported to the current plot-related area. You can say no usually, but there's a place where it happens against your will even if you weren't done with the place you were at before the teleport.

Actual locations from RSE are cut down in size and/or features. New Mauville is two rooms, Granite Cave is two rooms (with an optional extra area, but you can't go there unless you backtrack later), Mt. Pyre has less floors, the mach bike puzzle is gone from Sky Pillar, etc. Also, this is the fault of the engine, but there are a lot more route gates than in RSE, which breaks the flow of the game. They also removed side activities like the berry blender, Game Corner, and Safari Zone.

The Gen VI Exp. Share ruins the game if you keep it on. It can be turned off but by default it's on, and if you're playing blind you may not realize how much it overlevels you until you're already overleveled enough to trivialize parts of the game.

MANDATORY GIFT LEGENDARIES. You're forced to take Lati@s and you're forced to catch Rayquaza then use it in one of the only battles with a strong, challenging team, trivializing it.

There's more but I've complained about ORAS so much that I don't feel like detailing every single flaw. ORAS does have some good things to it, like improved characterization for your rivals and the villainous leader, and Dexnav is the best version of Pokéradar in the franchise. The flaws outweight the positives though. If you have CFW then there's no harm in playing it for free but it's not worth $40, especially if you like Emerald a lot.

Also, if anyone calls any criticisms against the game a "meme" they're shills. If they put up an actual argument then they might be sincere, but don't listen to anyone just calling a criticsm a meme.
>>
>>26781493
What's wrong with Hoenn?
>>
>>26781493
as we see here. Anon is showing its schizophrenic tendencies. Lets watch as they show lack of control with their emotion and desperately reply with an inside joke that only true chaners would understand.
>>
>>26781520
>Also, if anyone calls any criticisms against the game a "meme" they're shills.
better reply the same replies every time this topic is posted though just to make sure the off chance its a stranger stranger , they will know the truth.
>>
>>26781527
>>26781544
Please learn how to type properly.
>>
>>26781526
It's shit?
>>
>>26781544
>better reply the same replies every time this topic is posted though

It's not like the game's changed any since release, I don't see why the main flaws would be any different now from what they were in 2014.
>>
File: wutless.jpg (18 KB, 264x233) Image search: [Google]
wutless.jpg
18 KB, 264x233
>>26781520
>no safari zone
>no bike puzzle in Sky Pillar
>mauville is two rooms

T-that's not possible...
>>
>>26781520

These are true, and many are valid complaints. But there's a lot of fun new stuff also that in my view, mostly balanced out the omissions.
>>
File: whys.gif (369 KB, 175x260) Image search: [Google]
whys.gif
369 KB, 175x260
>>26781573
>>
File: 566px-New_Mauville_ORAS.png (366 KB, 566x599) Image search: [Google]
566px-New_Mauville_ORAS.png
366 KB, 566x599
>>26781577
New Mauville is two rooms, Mauville City was actually made larger than the original. It's ugly as sin though, they made it a giant shopping mall.

But yes, it's all true.
>>
>>26781586
And in my view, DexNav and Soaring alone don't make a good game.
>>
>>26781573
So are all the other regions?
>>
>>26781595
>>26781607
>Hoennshitters
I miss when you fuckers were underage, ever since ORAS you've been obnoxious as shit.
>>
The only people that cry about it are hoennbabies
Everyone knows RSE has always been garbage since the no day/night controversy and removing backwards compatibility.
>>
>>26781633
Would your opinion of RSE improve now that people have hacked in an accurate RTC system with a day/night system?
>>
>>26781618
>hoennshitters

But you're the one shitting on Hoenn.
>>
>>26781605

That's fair, you don't have to think they perfectly balance. But I don't see how you can't call it a "good" game. Yes, some things were left out that would have been nice, and made it a better game. But it's still good without those things. Those omissions don't make it "bad," they make it disappointing. A game can be disappointing yet still good overall.

Of course you're free to think it actually is bad, but I think that's being incredibly, unreasonably harsh. Your valid points notwithstanding, I think it's still quite a good game. "Better" would have been nice, but "good" is still, well, good.
>>
>>26781618
Kanto was band
Johot for the most part was forgettable
Hoenn was short because of water
Sinnoh had a fucking annoying mountain you had to pass with HMs every damn time and a shitty marshy area
Unova was mostly Linear
Kalos also felt linear
>>
>>26781672
bland
>>
>>26781652
Emerald, yes, RS, no.
And I thought romhacks of that already existed.
>>
>>26781672
Kanto is straight classic, Johto was boring and Hoenn was cool. Didn't play gen IV so don't know about Sinooh, but Unova was fucking awful. My humble opinion.
>>
>>26781666
I don't even think ORAS is that bad since I like RSE, but I do think it's inferior to RS and majorly inferior to Emerald. There's no reason to buy it in my eyes when the original is better in so many ways.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a vanilla Emerald hack that adds in Megaevolution though, it's already been ported but nobody's done it to an otherwise regular game of Emerald.
>>
>>26781721
>Unova was fucking awful

It's strange how polarizing Unova is. It's far and away my favorite.
>>
>>26781618
Hoennbabies are pretty obnoxious, but these days I think the anti-Hoennbabies are worse.

>inb4 Hoennbaby

Johtoddler.
>>
>>26781254
>Shoehorned mega evolution plot
>they not fixed the bad pokemon distribution
>No emerald features

and no emerald fea
>>
>>26781557
you had no reason to reply did you. you socially needy little fuck
>>
>>26781749
>It's strange how polarizing Unova is.

Not really. I like Unova but it's pretty easy to see why someone would dislike it, just the fact that BW1 only has new Pokémon was enough to turn off a lot of nostalgia-heavy players.
>>
>>26781749
Too american. Too "real world". There was always something simple and cute about Pokémon world. Unova looked too realistic and grey.
>>
>>26781357
>battle frontier removed for no reason
The reason being the fact they are remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, the most you should have expected of the Battle Frontier was the Battle Tower, which is pretty much obsolete because of the Battle Maison which is the exact same thing.
>>
File: 1307580107001.png (70 KB, 208x193) Image search: [Google]
1307580107001.png
70 KB, 208x193
>>26781774
>bad pokemon distribution

What do you mean?
>>
>>26781801
There's only water types over the water XD
>>
>>26781520
I never played RSE (was broke and in college at the time) but picking up ORAS I can see why I felt it was "lacking"- they cut so much stuff!

I can't stand the hand-holding either. It's like being railroaded. The gift legendaries felt cheap and boring because they were gifts. I'm so tired of the "chosen one" meme. You're not a chosen one. Pretending (unnamedtrainer) is special is sickening. Mixing the two turned me away from the game. I still have not beaten it.

I love the dexnav, but the contests were filler at best. So much wasted potential on something that turned out long, boring and super grindy.
>>
>>26781254

Unlike with HGSS, they didn't add any of Emerald's features into the remakes, most notably the Battle Frontier.

The only postgame is the Delta episode, which can be completed in about an hour and is really contrived.

No online contests.

Water routes are still entirely Wingull and Tentacool.

Reuses XY models, which I always thought felt "lifeless" so to speak.

Those are the only real flaws IMO. To me, though, those flaws made the game overall not super enjoyable. Way better than XY, but still not great.

At least the soundtrack is a 10/10 and all of the fun features bar customization from XY were brought over.
>>
itt: IM THE FIRST ONE TO HAVE THESE OPINIONS!!!
>>
>>26781867
>At least the soundtrack is a 10/10

I heavily disagree, honestly. Not every track is bad but there are some really butchered tracks, like the universally despised Route 113 cover, as well as some tracks that aren't so heavily hated but I personally don't like, like the Route 104 cover.
>>
>>26781867
>The only postgame is the Delta episode

Mirage spots? Tons of legendaries to catch? Battle Maison?

I mean, there could have been, and should have been, more. But it's not fair to say there's nothing else.
>>
I'm still mad that contests got gutted and have no multiplayer online
So much potential
>>
>>26781254
I personally enjoyed it. The lack of Battle Frontier is sad but it is a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald.

People are going to dislike things you like and we just gotta live with it.
>>
Leaf green and fire red were great to me (kanto +) ruby and saphire were good too (hoenn +) and Soulsilver and heartgold will forever be my favorite because they had 2 great regions and included the Red/Ash ketchum final battle for when everything else was finished.
>>
>>26781254

If you're not a super casual, you can see the many many flaws of ORAS.

They're not bad games, if you're a super casual but for most people who take Pokemon more seriously beyond "beating the champion and shelving the game outside of random spurs" are left with much to be desired.
>>
>>26781943
>it is a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald.

This is not an excuse for anything.
>>
>>26781918
People may consider Mirage Spots as late-game sidequests since those don't happen post-E4
>>
>>26781945
>for most people who take Pokemon more seriously
>most people
>>
>>26781922
>contests got gutted

In what way? I agree on the lack of online contests, but besides that weren't they pretty much identical to RSE contests?
>>
>>26781363
As someone who loved the fuck out of RSE, that's kind of the problem. They aren't worse, they just aren't any better either. It's just exactly the same but with a physical/special split. It's pointless.
>>
>>26781983

yes, because obviously not everyone shares my opinion.

I personally didn't care for the lazy way they shoved in the rest of the legendaries in the game, especially when I caught all of them 5 times over already, the mirage islands were just like randomly generated levels in other games, the added exposition just slowed the game down and the copypasted movetutors from BW2 added nothing positive to the metagame. There's a lot of interesting gen 6 moves, but most of them are either signature or very niche.
>>
>>26781992
I probably should have been more specific, the berry blender and associated 'contest stats' system got oversimplified so there isn't really any motivation to make your pokemon good at a contest specifically when everything can just have max ability in all kinds and any move tailored to it

This part is subjective, but I don't like the aesthetic of it either. The old version reminded me of one of those Dog/cat shows but even base level contests in ORAS look like a vegas show
>>
Just play it and make your own damn opinion.
>>
>>26782054
The old sheen system was bullshit especially since there was no way to reset the stats and sheen and unless you had friends to play with who were all capable of getting all perfect on the blender it was a royal pain in the ass to actually get blocks good enough to actually Max out a contest stat.

I agree on the look. I get why they changed it to more of an idol stage show rather than the cat/dog show type look, but the latter was more homely and I liked that.
>>
They took out too much and didn't put in enough.
>>
>>26781357
>Delta Episode with interesting character
>interesting character
>>
>>26781371
>>26781429

I played it right after Emerald and both when I was over 20 and ORAS is still easier. Emerald was made with better teams than RS and this is an RS remake. Tate and Lisa have 4 pokemon in Emerald and 2 in ORAS.

Why cant people accept it's definitely easier?

>>26781520
These are very well thought out points.
>>
>>26781520
The only forced warp is after Norman and Granite Cave is all there, it's just all optional. Sky Pillar is also that way the same reason it was the first time through in Emerald, because it's mandatory now and so that you don't have to backtrack and swap bikes to progress the story. Safari Zone is still there, Safari Game just isn't there anymore. And I didn't notice that about Pyre, I'll have to check myself later.

Otherwise, fine enough.
>>
>>26782377
>Safari Zone is still there, Safari Game just isn't there anymore

That's what I meant since the Game is the reason anyone would be interested in the Zone instead of just being a normal route, but thanks for correcting me.

As to Norman, it's right after you get Surf, and there are areas between Petalburg and Mauville with previously unavailable items or trainers across water. Can't you go to Sea Mauville too?
>>
>>26782428

I much prefer the Safari Zone as a normal route. The Safari Game is terrible.
>>
File: 1453743719565.jpg (150 KB, 993x1124) Image search: [Google]
1453743719565.jpg
150 KB, 993x1124
>>26782443
You're terrible.
>>
>>26782464

Come back to me when you lose a shiny (the first one you've ever seen) because it ran on the first turn and there was nothing you could do about it. Fuck the Safari Game.
>>
>>26782428
I personally have never enjoyed the Safari Game battle mechanics and prefer it being an optional route where I can catch the rare Pokemon in it like normal however I like.

However the path from Petalburg to Slateport I totally spaced. There is a ton of stuff to do there, so even more so it really should've been an optional jump, since I even think it's the only one with anything that would be new for the run. Not to mention it's the first guess for a path for a new player to take since you've gone it before in the ferry rather than the 103-Cycling Road shortcut they probably expected people to take.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.