[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>final gym leader >electric >octillery >ambipom the fuck?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 160x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 160x312
>final gym leader
>electric
>octillery
>ambipom

the fuck?
>>
>>26772159
Diamond/Pearl were a huge mess. Please ignore their existence and go play Platinum instead, right the fuck now.
>>
Crappy Sinnoh dex limited his options, also Octillery BTFOs idiots who think they'll be able to steamroll him with a Ground-type. I kinda wish more gyms had leaders with a coverage mon or two. Not like what the fire elite four member in d/p had though, that went too far off-theme.
>>
The developers wanted him to be based around electric moves instead of just around electric type Pokemon. So Ambipom and Octillery have shock wave and charge beam respectively.
>>
>>26772187
Laturn was in the dex, why does a gym leader use a starter, why does a gen that introduced 9 bug types only use of those in the Elite 4. GF's lazy and the game is shit
>>
>>26772193
More like the developers had no choice but to make him electric-themed rather than just using the type. Sinnoh's dex had nothing until Platinum.
>>
I just realized how shit the line-up of electric pokemon was back in the Gen 4 days.

If you wanted an electric pokemon that isn't purely electric type, you had 4 choices.

If legendaries weren't an option, that was reduced to 2.

1 of those 2 could only be found through swarms in Diamond and Pearl.
>>
>>26772251
Also Pachirisu

shit on the little guy all you want but Super Fang can legit fuck you up in game
>>
i WISH they were themed rather than solely type-based

imagine a dog gym or frog gym
a gym based around biting moves
or even one with a color theme
>>
>>26772365
I want this too but I doubt we'll ever see that happen, it's easier for GF to just throw a gym together by filtering the pokemon by types and slapping random shit together
>>
>>26772159
Gen IV quality gym.
>>
File: test.png (357 KB, 936x888) Image search: [Google]
test.png
357 KB, 936x888
Yeah is that time again boys
>>
>>26772355
Said no one ever.

>Having problems with pachirisu

I laughed audibly
>>
File: superior version.png (60 KB, 538x668) Image search: [Google]
superior version.png
60 KB, 538x668
>>26772386
What do you mean?
>>
>>26772365
>there will never be a swamp themed gym with water, ground and grass type trainers lurking in the mud
>there will never be a haunted house themed gym where more than ghost type trainers try to spook you
>there will never be a dollhouse themed gym where all the pokemon are generally very petite

it hurts. there's so much potential.
>>
>>26772187
he wasn't off theme, his team was based on hot, not fire
>>
>>26772409
damn luxray is equipped for everything
>>
>>26772399
>empty spaces
>empty spaces in the middle of teams rather than just at the end
>going down from 4 pokemon on the team to only 3 if the trainer has 6 badges
>the position of different pokemon get switched around randomly
>some pokemon appear in one team only to vanish in the next
>signature pokemon is Larvitar, but full team doesn't have Tyrannitar

How the fuck can you be so terrible at making this shit?
>>
>>26772491
who the fuck has three pokemon in the first gym
>>
>>26772526
Roxanne in RSE
>>
>>26772409
Mega Raichu confirmed to be half bug type.
>>
>>26772526
Roxanne has two Geodudes and a Nosepass in Emerald.
Roark has a Geodude, an Onix, and a Cranidos in DPP.
Cheren has a Patrat, a Pidove, and a Lillipup if you're playing on Challenge Mode.
>>
>>26772533
RSE had Great Gyms, they at least tried to be challenging sometimes
>>
>playing white
>electric gym
>yo champ in the making electric types are bad against ground types and shit
>oh ok, let me use this ground type I have
>every fucking trainer has electric/flying types and they all know pursuit

Just fuck my shit up senpai.
>>
File: image.png (770 KB, 1000x680) Image search: [Google]
image.png
770 KB, 1000x680
>>26772401
>he doesn't know the 2014 World Championships was won with a Pachirisu
>>
haha diamond/pearl
>>
That's what happens when half of the region is legendaries.
>>
>>26772718
wtf? neither did I. How is that possible?
>>
>>26772401
Not many of the ones you fight have or use Super Fang - consider how many folks were bitching about how Watchog ended their Nuzlockes in Gen V due to Hypnosis/Super Fang/Hyper Fang combos.

A Pachirisu with Sweet Kiss, T-Wave and Super Fang can similarly cripple a mon.
>>
>>26773351
It has Volt Absorb, Follow Me and weirdly high defensive stats.

Do the math.
>>
>>26772187
>also Octillery BTFOs idiots who think they'll be able to steamroll him with a Ground-type

Yes, how clearly very stupid of someone to assume that a Gym leader will specialize in a type when literally every other one up to that point has too.
>>
>>26772365
As much as I HATE change I wouldn't mind this at all.
>>
>>26772401
>underestimating Pachirisu
>>
>>26772251

That's why Platinum exists
>>
>>26772399

>Signature pokemon

>No Tyranitar
>>
>>26772718

And a Gyarados and a Garchomp and a...
>>
>>26772419
The problem with these is that there's no gameplay connection between the Pokemon they'd use, so it doesn't encourage you to change up your approach in any particular way.

What I'd like to see is Gyms that are themed around other gameplay mechanics than type, like a weather abuse gym or a baton pass gym. You'd have to adapt your strategy rather than just your types, and it would help introduce players to more elaborate setups (and how to beat them) than just sweeping with SE moves.
>>
>>26773491
Pachirisu was the unique one that nobody even uses out of NU so it gets all the props.

But yeah it was there to protect the Gyarados which actually did the damage dealing.
>>
>>26772718
>>26773351
>>26773395
>>26773491

Right, no. This needs to be storytimed for the unanitiated.
It was 2014, the first year off X & Y, the dawn of Mega-Mom and the format was Kalos mons only.
With the limited pool of megas and mons, two megas rose to viability above the rest: M-Mom and to check it, M-Mawile.

Despite not really being counterable, the main strategies being run would be to find as many checks to it as humanly possible.
So Se-Jun Park made anti-meta decision number 1: mega gyarados.
With the insane speed and power after a DD, combined with the base form intimidate support (against the very physical meta), it could make a great pick... if it can get the DD up.

Which brings us to point number 2: redirection.
Amoongus was EVERYWHERE in the 2014 meta. It could use Rage Powder to soak hits from fighting types that threatened M-Mom, or allowing it to set up PuP (this was pre tutored fighting moves). It allowed M-Mawile to get off moves that werent Sucker Punch. Plus, y'know, spore.
But Amoongus was no good for Se Juns Gyarados. Sure it could soak up electric hits, but it was so common people were running saftey goggles to avoid it. And if anyone was using a grass type, they too could bypass rage powder entirely, and that would spell major trouble.
So, Follow Me user it was. Except, the reason everyone was using amoongus was that all the good ones were gone. Nada. There were 3 options, all shit mons.
But one of those shitmons would do nicely.
Follow me- duh
Reasonable bulk- turns out it can take a draco meteor quite well.
Super Fang- excellemt support move, proved itself on crobat in the previous year.
Nuzzle- new, untauntable T-wave that breaks sashes, niiice.
Volt Absorb- Synergy is outstanding.

(1/2)
>>
What the heck was his deal anyway! ?
He's one of the most irresponsible gym leader I've ever met!
>>
>26773849 The truly fantastic part is, and I'd reccomend anyone look up his finals match on youtube, how well he used the threat of the Follow Me + Volt Absorb to prevent his opponent selecting their electric moves, allowing him to just throw around Super Fangs and Nuzzles with near impunity.

So thats the story of pacharisus rise to mememon status.
>>
>>26773849
>>26773875

Whoops
>>
>>26772365
We already have bird gyms.
>>
>>26772976
14 isn't half of 107. Not even half of the half.
>>
>>26772430
Steelix is hot?
>>
>>26772251
>why does a gym leader use a starter
Why not?
>>
>>26772669
B/W liked to punch you in the mouth for underestimating it, one of the many reasons I enjoyed it the most.
>>
>>26772669
Pursuit on Sandile after Intimidate is literally a free switch.
>>
>>26774535
It's called hyperbole you autist
>>
>>26772399
Make sure your signature Pokemkn doesn't lose it the gym's primary type upon evoling Aaron
>>
File: download (11).jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>yellow hair
>lightning flash theme
>one of powerful trainer
Is this Minato in Pokemon world?
>>
>>26772464
too bad he's shit, couldn't even KO my Torterra with Ice Fang
>>
File: 1445465892896.jpg (116 KB, 798x711) Image search: [Google]
1445465892896.jpg
116 KB, 798x711
>>26772409
Probably my favourite gym team.
>>
>>26773849
>>26773875
Interesting. Thanks for explaining anon.
>>
File: roark-1861.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
roark-1861.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>26772526
This guy
>>
>>26772159
gen4 had a bit of inconsistences.
>>
>>26772334
Rotom isn't legendary dingus
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.