[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people get so hostile over canon names?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
Why do people get so hostile over canon names?
>>
>>26752872
Because people are stupid.
>>
Because fuck the chicken hat
>>
>>26752872
People here are too retarded to know what "canon" means(granted it's already hard for fanbases less retarded than pokemon's) so you end up with conflict.
>>
>>26752872
Because the names are stupid.
>>
Because no one knows what the canon names are and no one knows what the word 'canon' means.
>>
This board is good at two things, complaints and stupid fan theories. Once something can't be stupidly theorised about, the only thing that can happen is complaints. This chart should clarify things.
>>
>>26752964
"Sun" and "Moon" are probably the most reasonable names i've ever heard from a pokemon game besides Ruby and Sapphire.
>>
>>26753031
This, sort of.
The fanbase hates facts, it's all about speculations.
>people still talk about a supposed pre gen 1 war
>gen 6 had an actual war and nobody cares
>>
>>26753088
Have you met someone named Sun or Moon? Why don't they give them real names.
>>
>>26753134
I've met multiple people named Moon (it's a fairly common Korean surname), and while Sun isnt a common name, i woulndt be surprised.
>>
>>26753134
>Sun
Yes
>Moon
Does Jungmoon count?
>>
>>26752872
Should've called them Saul and Luna
>>
>>26753114
Gen 6 war is a different war than gen 1 war (i think so at least) but both wars are canon.
>>
>>26753224
>>26753208
Wait really? Fine, I guess these names are plausible although I still don't understand why they're not given more common names.
>>
>>26753226
>Saul
Too biblical
>>
>>26752887
this
>>
>>26752872
>Why do people get so hostile over canon names?

Because autism
>>
>>26753261
They will be given more normal sounding names, like they always do. Sun and Moon will probably be their manga names.
>>
>>26753134
I've seen a couple of "Sunny"s.
>>
>>26753246
Thanks for proving both my points, the fanbase doenst know what canon is and they hate facts.
>>
>>26753088
>besides Ruby and Sapphire
and Emerald?
>>
>>26753134
They're just copying the Pokemon Adventure manga where the protags get the name of the newest games, they just seem like stand in names though
>>
>>26752872
>Elio and Selene fit perflectly with Sun and Moon
>will be replaced with random non-related shitty names
>>
>>26752872
>canon names
They have no canon names, they're literally you, the player. Anyone who tries to dispute this is wrong as it has been stated several times that the MC is just a player insert.

>>26755406
No one even cares about that manga, the demos/pre-release footage always name the MC's differents shit, including the version names.
>>
>>26753134
Nigga I've met people name Stormy and Sky

I doubt there isn't a person named Sun or Moon out theres.
>>
>>26752872
>プレイヤーであるあなたの分身であり
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/character/
Straight from the main site.

Self-insert confirmed.
>>
the only people who argue about it are autists. Not even GF gives a shit.
>>
>>26755503
>>26755483
>>26755460
This. Why care about names when you're playing as yourself? They even say it on the fucking official sites for fuck's sake.
>>
File: question mark rosa.jpg (124 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
question mark rosa.jpg
124 KB, 650x650
>>26752872
Wait, Sun and Moon are placeholders like Xavier and Yvonne, right? I personally like Elio and Selene since they're translated fairly common Greek names (though Elia(s) would be more accurate).
>>
>>26752872
Because the blue guy is called Sun and the traffic light girl is called Moon.
>>
>>26755564
They did the same thing with ORAS's demo with Orlando/Anna instead of Brendan/May so most likely they aren't the canon names. But Pokemon tends to be very liberal with the kinds of names used for characters so who knows until we get more info.
>>
>>26755460
>They have no canon names,
Except when they appear as NPCs, when it's the name people refer to as canon.

>No one even cares about that manga
False, and the names they use for promotions are always related to their game titles, even if it has nothing to do with pokespe.

>>26755510
>This. Why care about names when you're playing as yourself?
It's important when discussing lore, it's easiear to say Hilbert than "Gen 5 first male protag"
>>
Orlando and Anna are legit names now.
>>
>>26755564
Don't worry, female protag will be named Moon Unit
>>
File: masuda (2).png (236 KB, 336x418) Image search: [Google]
masuda (2).png
236 KB, 336x418
>>26752872
>>
They're called placeholder names for a reason, you know.

Yes they're not the "canon" names but until we know what those are, fans are going to use the placeholders.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.