[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I missing something about B/W? I always see people here praise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Pokemon-black-and-white.jpg (259 KB, 851x485) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-black-and-white.jpg
259 KB, 851x485
Am I missing something about B/W? I always see people here praise it but I've tried three times now to finish it and I always burn out pretty quick. Furthest I got was the seventh gym but I really had to force myself to get that far.

Is there a way to make it more enjoyable? I haven't bought a Pokemon game since White and after that many failed attempts I decided I probably just don't enjoy Pokemon anymore, but recently I've been wanting to play again and I'm debating just starting up SS again instead or skipping ahead to X/Y/OR/AS but it's not going to be worth buying a 3DS if it just builds on the aspects I find shitty in B/W.

Thoughts?
>>
Most of the good shit happens after you beat all 8 gym leaders.

What is it exactly that isn't enjoyable to you in BW that causes you to burn out?
>>
>>26730196
BW are good games, but not really the greatest. Try BW2, HGSS (usually considered the best games). And while I think Gen 6 sucked ass, you may like it so try those too. Maybe borrow or emulate before to figure out what you enjoy.

Also, 7th Gym burnout isnt that odd. Did you enjoy it up to them? Whenever I play a Hoenn game I burn out HARD by the 7th Gym and just dont want to go on. But I still generally enjoyed most of the game up to then.
>>
File: 1455981080914.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455981080914.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
You're no longer 10 year old playing the game with friends having an adventure but as an adult seeing limits everywhere and making it into a job
>>
People like BW because they feel like real JRPGs. They had a plot that fucking mattered, memorable characters, a manipulative, hateable villain and a proper climax. BW distinguish themselves from other entries in the series, which people like. Typing this out just make me further real just how far X&Y regressed everything
>>
>>26730232
This. I also feel burned out for a bit before Wattson in Emerald, he's a bit strong for my liking and static gives me nightmares
>>
>>26730272
For me I start losing steam when I have to sail from Lilycove, but when I get to Mosdeep I practically stop playing for a while. Happened in btoh Emerald and ORAS.
>>
>>26730196
It's a meme, ya dip. BW and B2W2 has nothing special.
>>
>>26730208

I really didn't like the semi-3D elements, I can't remember the name but navigating that big city pissed me right off.

It felt a lot like I was being forced to participate in a story rather than having "my own" adventure, I know Pokemon games aren't exactly sandbox adventures but I could really feel the linearity in B/W.

I didn't hate most of the pokemon designs but a large amount of the final evolutions were worse (imo) than the pre-evos so that made me less keen to progress. I would try doing a run where I kept pokes I liked from evolving but I think I probably need evolution to keep things feeling fresh.

>>26730238

I mean age is probably a factor but I got so much mileage out of D/P and HG/SS I didn't think the next instalment would be such a bust.

>>26730232

I wouldn't say I enjoyed it up to then, kept hoping a point would come where everything clicked but I just ended up putting it down one day and not picking it back up again.
I think B/W might be a lost cause to be honest, so my main question is would it be worth getting a 3DS for the newer games?
>>
>>26730254
>hateable villain
Which translates to a villain having no real character because they're meant to be hated instead of a well-written villain with an ambiguous motive.
>>
>>26730303
Gen 4 is arguably more single player orientated whereas Gen 5 is where they started being more casual and being more streamlined towards mp features.

Both are a peak at what they do. You just prefer gen 4. And that's fine.
>>
>>26730254
You haven't played any actual good rpgs, apparently. BW's story was as meh as the rest of the series. Unless you like it because its 'dark'.
>>
>>26730305
He's talking about Ghetsis being such a sharp contrast to N
>>
>>26730321
I know what he's talking about. Hateable villain translates to a poorly written villain. Saturday-morning cartoon tier
>>
>>26730303
XY is even more linear but with worse characters, so I doubt you'd like it. If you liked Hoenn ORAS may be worth a try, but I wouldn't recommand them
>>
>>26730315
Pokemon is arguably the only good RPG, it just fails in the story department.

Pokemon is the only RPG with actual monster variety, playthrough variety and no grinding. And isn't that what's in the end more important than the story? I rather have that than grinding in all honesty
>>
No, BW1 is shit and its fans are delusional fucks.

BW2 is the good one.
>>
>>26730329
>Saturday morning cartoon
>not any other antagonist in the series except arguably Giovanni

>>26730315
I'm saying they felt more like rpg's than the other Pokemon games
>>
>>26730341
So you never played a good rpg.

No one actually thinks pokemon is a good rpg.
>>
>>26730330

Do you think Sun/Moon will be in the same boat? I'd honestly just like some new pokemon to use but in a game that isn't a chore to play.
>>
>>26730303
BW and BW2 does have a more "set out to do a story from the beginning rather than natural adventure" feel, but I think they do it well. But I agree that HGSS' more free roam story was superior.

Unova does still have many side places to go. I'd still recommend BW2 because it has a lot to do.

As for Gen 6, its...odd. XY's story is pretty unimportant so it's more your adventure, but it still feels sort of forced and railroady. A worst of both worlds for me. ORAS is more free like the originals, so if you liked them you might like that. Unless you are hoping for Emerald content or a remotely challenging experience, in which case dont bother. Also the new post game story is probably the worst in the franchise. But I'd still say to borrow a 3DS or something and give both a shot for you may like them enough to get them.
>>
File: 1436968873553.png (804 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1436968873553.png
804 KB, 1920x1080
>>26730366
>so you never played a good RPG
if a good RPG translates to the same 10 monsters reskinned 20 times and a predictable cookie-cutter story then I have played plenty.
Tell me what makes a good RPG and tell me their names. Tell me what makes those RPGs good.
>>
>>26730358

BW2 has a mix of old and new pokemon from the start, right?

What about X/Y and ORAS, how are the pokemon from other regions distributed?
>>
>>26730384
Why not fucking google it?
>>
>>26730384
BW2 has a great mix of old and new. There's 300 total in the regional dex if I recall and it's very well distributed.

XY has like 450 in the regional dex, but Kalos is a lot smaller than Unova 2, so nearly no Pokemon appears in more than one area which makes the region feel really disjointed.

ORAS has RS's distribution at first, then after you catch Groudon/Kyogre a ton of other Pokemon start showing up in areas you've already been to through DexNav.
>>
>>26730384
XY fucking shits old Pokémon like diarrhea. ORAS adds a lot of non-Hoenn dex mons but only after you fight the legendary.
>>
>>26730341
>Pokemon is arguably the only good RPG
You don't play many RPGs. Most RPGs outdo Pokemon in complexity and encounter design (as far as single-player is concerned, "competitive" doesn't even apply to most vidya RPGs). Pokemon's core gameplay is turn-based, has elemental rock-paper-scissors, status buffs and debuffs, and status ailments. These are bread and butter features of almost every RPG. Admittedly, Pokemon does have one unique mechanic- switching Pokemon in and out. But that comes with the tradeoff of having simple head-on-head battles between only one party member at a time (you can say Doubles but you'll also note how switching loses a ton of its power in Doubles).

The unique things about Pokemon largely have to do with its setting. First, it's a colorful and "happy" setting, without being overly saccharine so it retains universal appeal. Second, the monster designs are unique and recognizable. I would dare to say most of Pokemon's success relies just on the fantastic artwork.
>>
>>26730422
Read >>>26730382
>most RPGs outdo Pokemon in complexity
In what fucking world?
>here's a common knowledge recap
Just fuck off if you have no actual argument. I'm not 10. I'm a fucking adult. Don't patronize me.
>>
>>26730398

Because I don't want facts I want opinions like this >>26730405

Thanks for all the info everyone, I think I might get a 3DS after all and just forget about B/W, it's probably not worth a forth attempt.
>>
>>26730452
>how are the pokemon from other regions distributed?
>I don't want facts I want opinions
You're a retard
>>
>>26730452
Are you retarded?
>>
>>26730432
It's really obvious from the way you post that you're one of those people who's dogmatic and is just going to weasel around even if I do provide an example.

You're being deliberately vague. In your first post you say Pokemon is a good RPG, but fails in the story department, yet in your second post you talk about reskinned monsters and cookie cutter stories, which has to do with story/setting instead of game mechanics. So which is it? Are you praising Pokemon for gameplay complexity, or uniqueness of setting?

If it's the former, any RPG with a basic skill tree allows for higher customization on your characters than Pokemon does, regardless of how boring the setting or art design might be.

If you want to argue banality of setting, I'm >>26730422 so I've already said I think Pokemon's setting is unique.

If you don't want to be patronized try actually being clear on what the fuck you're even talking about.
>>
>>26730196
You love or you hate it.
There is no midpoint.
>>
>>26730330

Lol Unova is literally mroe linear. While you travel on a strict line with 1-2 optional areas in Unova, there are multiple optional areas and backtracking in Kalos.
>>
>>26730452
At least you can have it if you need to transfer old pokemon to gen 6 and dont see paying 5 dollaridoos/year as a problem.
>>
>>26730454
>>26730469

I could google it and get told which pokemon appear in which games and on which routes and how many of them in each game. Or I could ask here and get told all that & how it affects gameplay (opinion), how well they're distributed (opinion) and which game introduces old pokemon best (opinion).

Ok maybe I should have said "I don't want just facts, I want opinions too" but I didn't, guess I'm retarded.
>>
Black and White's stength was the story. Everything else was just lacking or build to support the storytelling of the game. 150 pokemon dex is low and the region is awfully small.

If you are playing pokemon fir the storyline then get BW, if you are more focused on the gameplay then every other generation except maybe gen I is superior.
>>
>>26730514
>150 pokemon dex is low and the region is awfully small.
You do realise the number is more like 200+ when factoring in the postgame areas right?
Also you're ignoring the fact that they're all new during the main game that and they have the mossy content of any first game.
>>
File: 1461440967393.jpg (2 MB, 1098x1500) Image search: [Google]
1461440967393.jpg
2 MB, 1098x1500
You've made this thread like 5 times now.
>>
>>26730728
They always do, this is the power of Sinnohfetuses.
>>
>>26730728

This is the first time I've made this thread and my first game was Pokemon Red, but sure, everyone that has a different opinion from you is the same person.
>>
>>26730303
>It felt a lot like I was being forced to participate in a story rather than having "my own" adventure
All pokemon games
>>
>>26730196
BW are alright games. There are moments of good but the best parts of Gen V are absoltely BW2.

Most people lump BW into the "golden age" of pokemon games but they are the weakest entry in that time period. Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 outshine BW. I think what some/most agree on is that Unova was a decent region.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.