[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: a journey back to heg.png (10 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
a journey back to heg.png
10 KB, 240x160
Another hope edition.

Notable ROM hacks: pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/ (better for ROM hacks)
http://reliccastle.com/forums/ (better foir Essentials games)

IRC channel: #romhacking @ irc.rizon.net

ToTT: What's the tool you have the most trouble with?
>>
>>26722147
Describe the perfect hack game you'd like to see. Region, story, Pokemon, gym leaders, gimmicks, etc.
>>
>>26722397
Something along the lines of Sevii Islands: The game. Those were my absolute favorite, I'd love to see a ton of neat, mysterious islands with ruins and stuff.
>>
>>26722665
You're going to love SM!
>>
I'm beginning a hack set in an original region. Not very experienced with hacking. Does anybody else ever find themselves spending lots of time just planning/thinking about the worldbuilding/setting/lore etc?
>>
>>26722397
>like Sinnoh but with more emphasis on woodland areas and coldness
>heavily involving the legends like in BW
>eh
>make them fairly competent
>eh
>>
File: error.png (32 KB, 1255x1013) Image search: [Google]
error.png
32 KB, 1255x1013
Anyone else get this error? Whenever I try to click on a download link on the pokecommunity forums, it takes me to a blank page called "attachment.php". Anyone know a way to fix that?
>>
>>26722147

Pastebin needs be updated, fire red omega hack link is not available.
>>
>>26722397
>its an entire new region and not just a rethread
>if it has fakemon, it's *all* fakemon and well designed at that. If it's real mon, then it's *100%* realmon and no fucking with their types/stats/half fake half-real
>it takes place canonically. i.e. if it has to be edgy then it's off on some island / new region and not some apocolyptic version or anything. Ideally, it's your standard "begin your pokemon journey!" except with a slight twist.
>the graphics are comfy
>it is harder than the regular games but not stupidly so
>it is not catered to 5 year olds. This is fine for real games, but people who play hacks are not 5. This doesn't mean everyone effs and blinds, just that it's not catering to kindergartners.
>it has some clever lore that still fits with the actual games.
>it feels like a legit installment in the series.
>>
anyone use pk3ds with oras before?
>>
File: Black_2_White_2_Roxie.png (175 KB, 527x600) Image search: [Google]
Black_2_White_2_Roxie.png
175 KB, 527x600
Oh hey, first /heg/ I saw since making this.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/virbank-city-gym-gbc-8-bit
http://pastebin.com/b3GdCqUd

The song is still a bit empty without the vocals but it's not something that can be helped on Game Boy. Hopefully Showderp is proud.

Also reposting this from last /heg/ thread since the thread 404'd not too long after posting it.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/humilau-city-gbc-8-bit
http://pastebin.com/SVaJ88t8

Now I'm done with all the requests I had for real. Taking any suggestions for songs you want to hear in Crystal's engine, though I won't do anything too percussion-heavy or too harmonic (listen to my attempts at the Kalos Gym Leader theme and Laverre City respectively to see why, though I'm still willing to try more Kalos in the future), and I won't do any Sinnoh music because there's already someone else specializing in covering Sinnoh music in Crystal.
>>
>>26722397
I want to see Shadow Pokémon in a hack. Like, as an actual mechanic, where the hacker adds a "purification" value and anything above 0 gives you a Shadow Pokémon with all the side effects Colosseum gave to it, Snag Balls that only work on Shadow Pokémon, etc. not just adding a Fakemon Shadow Lugia or something dumb like that.
>>
>>26723039
>This doesn't mean everyone effs and blinds, just that it's not catering to kindergartners.
I would love a Stripper trainer class. All sequins and feathers. Not sure which 'mons they'd use.
>>
>>26722147

I hope people hack Pokémon Sun and Moon when they come out.
>>
File: DOORS.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
DOORS.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>
>>26723305
We'll at least get difficulty hacks like XY and ORAS have.
>>
>>26723176
If you can do a demake of the Emerald Battle Factory theme, you'd be a god in my eyes.
>>
>>26723039
>and no fucking with their types/stats/half fake half-real
What if it's entirely reverse battles?
>>
>>26723716

I see. Thanks for the information.
>>
>>26722700
SM?
>>
>>26722700
I have high hopes for it, I hope it's pokemon's wind waker.
>>
>>26722397
FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and X/Y all fully remade with the Gen 5 engine, and fully trade/battle compatible with Gen 5 roms.
>>
>>26726430
Jesus christ anon. You could not even begin to imagine how much effort that would take
>>
>>26726008
Sadomasochism
>>
>>26726008
Large Hadron Collider
>>
>>26726479
It would just be a matter of coding the teams, text and locations using new tilesets/models. Nothing new, just delicate recreation.
>>
File: pueblobarroco.png (129 KB, 714x476) Image search: [Google]
pueblobarroco.png
129 KB, 714x476
Can you give me some ideas for a fliying gym puzzle? Leader is a retired war aviator. Pic semi-related, its the town from said gym.
>>
>>26726479
The post said describe your perfect hack game, am I fucking wrong?

>>26726554
This. We already have the utilities to do it all through and through, someone just needs some time on their hands.
>>
File: PQsq69V.gif (985 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
PQsq69V.gif
985 KB, 500x375
>>26722397
>Region
Kanto
>Story
Foil Team Rocket's evil schemes.
>Pokemon
Gens 1, 2, and 3.
>gym leaders
Brock, Misty, Lt.Surge, Erica, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni
>gimmicks
Every time you start the game you get a black and white retelling of your last few events. Very useful for when you haven't played in a while. Also you can use your VS seeker to find people around you who want a rematch.

Wait a minute... I just described FLRG. I love that game so much.

I just wish it had access to all 386 pokemon without trading or events, breeding similar to that of Emerald, and no item limit. Put it all in a cartridge and I don't need anything else.
>>
>>26726683
>I just wish it had access to all 386 pokemon without trading or events
Universal Randomizer says hi.
>>
>>26726700
I might give that a try. I didn't know it had so many options. I thought you just made every single variable in the game random. I didn't know you could pick something so specific.

Nice.
>>
>>26726554
Gen V doesn't have XY's Pokédex. You also have to consider all the features in past games that aren't retained between games.

Tell me, how many completed Gen V hacks with custom maps are there?
>>
>>26722397
I just want a hack that isn't just
>We got R/S/FR/LG
>Except here's a new map and some new Pokemon
>It's still the same shit though
Rehashing Pokemon with a fresh coat of paint is boring and predictable.
>>
>>26722397
>dungeon crawler but with traditional gameplay
>double & triple wild battles
>trainers with EV trained pokemon
>pokemon from all different gens, but only 2 or 3 hundered mons; catch 'em all be damned in a fangame
>plot doesn't matter, as long as it's more interesting than "mute 10 year old on an adventure
>>
>>26726891
>except here's a new map and some new Pokémon

If you have a new map (and I assume a new script with new events, unless you put FRLG's events over a new map for some reason) and you have new Pokémon, how is that not an entirely new game? What would you have in mind that wouldn't be a "rehash" to you?
>>
>>26726985
Actual new gameplay mechanics that set it apart from everything else
You know, kind of like how XY wasn't literally just BW with a rearranged map and some new sprites

But I guess that's out of scope for 99% of romhackers
>>
>>26727012
>You know, kind of like how XY wasn't literally just BW with a rearranged map and some new sprites

It would've been a better game if it was.
>>
File: image.gif (452 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
452 KB, 360x270
>>26723278
>jynx
>lopunny
>froslass
>persian
>>
>>26726587
How much freedom of tiles do you have?
Are you capable of making your own, or are you repurposing HGSS rips?
If not, then you're severely limited in what you can do
>>
>>26726587
Get some of those tiles that make you fly across and you can't change your direction. Then make it one continuous sequence straight to the gym leader where the players can't go anywhere. Pretty much on auto. Then set a couple of student trainers on the way so the player has to battle one after the other.

If it's an early gym don't make it too hard. Maybe four or five student trainers with one pokemon each. If it's a later gym you can ramp it up. You can and should warn players at the start that they will face a bunch of trainers and the leader with no chance to go back.

It wouldn't be really a puzzle but it would be fun.
>>
In the rom hack version of my project, I was writing a battle theme for the elite four and managed to import two versions of it along with a remix. Now I want to do a final higher-quality cut for this platform.
I wanted to do something new, so I tried being as unique with the time signature and chord progressions as possible.
It starts in 4/4, transitions to 7/8, then into 3/4.
Because of this, I'm having a hard time finding similar songs online for reference.
I know this isn't /mu/, but does anyone have any ideas on where I'd find reference material for Drum and Bass fills at 180 bpm?

Final DS Hack cut:
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/battle-vs-the-sky-sisters

This is a remix I did of the same theme:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kJshP8tCOI

Sorry about balancing issues. This was quite a while back.
>>
What happened to /vp/ makes a Pokemon game? I still have some of the sprites I made for it saved on my computer
>>
>>26722397
I'd like to see a hack with a completely different battle system. Like, when you enter a battle, instead of a turn-based rpg, you'd have like a fighting game with your pokémon. That would be a refreshing take on the Pokémon franchise.
>>
>>26722397
I'd like to see a hack where you play Harvest Moon with your Pokémon. Your objective is not to beat elite four, but to become rich, get married, etc. You could capture Miltanks and put raise them to give you milk, use machamps in your buildings, etc.
>>
>>26727894
So Pokkén? Or that one fighting fangame I heard people compare Pokkén to a couple times when it got announced but haven't heard anything regarding it since?
>>
>>26727926
yeah, but one in which you could capture pokemon, battle gym leaders, all the regular stuff. If Pokken had that, it would be perfect to me.
>>
>>26722147
Major thing that holds me back from doing a hack is sprite creation.
>>
File: angry ape.jpg (114 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
angry ape.jpg
114 KB, 544x544
>>26728368
Right? Holy fuck, how do people even make tilesets? My lack of artistic talent has held me back in nearly everything I've tried, and romhacking is no different. I expected it to be, spriting is for the people with no drawing ability, but I still can't get it.
>>
>>26728368
>>26728389
Ideally, when creating Pokemon sprites, one person draws the Pokemon while the other sprites them, but both roles involves some sort of artistic ability
>>
>>26728447
I wish it was Pokemon I had trouble with, but tilesets are my struggle area. I simply can't fathom how people make beautiful sets like in Flora Sky or the one hack the anon a few threads back was working on.
>>
>>26723176
Nice work on the Humilau song, familia :0)
>>
>>26722147
Is there a way to hack music for Gen I and Gen II games?
I only can find tools for GBA games.
>>
>>26727123
>Froslass
>Not Aromatisse
>>
File: 1 don't click.jpg (255 KB, 1100x1077) Image search: [Google]
1 don't click.jpg
255 KB, 1100x1077
Please, can ANYONE download this? I've tried several browsers and turning off adblock, but it just won't work.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149454
>>
>>26731473
PC was hacked and attachments were broken.
>>
>>26722147
I'm not very experienced, but is it possible to hack the 3DS pokemon games?

I'd love to have easy access to all pokemon and moves for Battle Mason memes.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.