[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>SPRITES ARE BETTER THAN MODELS GUYS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_l933nqL9Hn1qcqbb4o1_500.png (4 KB, 489x487) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l933nqL9Hn1qcqbb4o1_500.png
4 KB, 489x487
>SPRITES ARE BETTER THAN MODELS GUYS
>>
>>
>>26718884
But it's not bait. The models are cartoony, yet cool. All of the sprites just look retarded.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>26718868
>>
>>26718868
>Cherrypicking
>>
>>26718969

Most RBY sprites looked that bad. GSC sprites were fantastic though.
>>
File: nMuuDZI[1].png (176 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
nMuuDZI[1].png
176 KB, 365x365
>MODELS ARE BETTER THAN SPRITES GUYS
>>
Models are objectively better. It's just that GF, being GF, can't into executing properly.
If we had the current models with more vibrant textures and varied animations they would be superior to sprites in every way. Sadly they don't like Creatures Inc touching Pokemon outside of spin-offs, if they were in charge of models and animations, no one would be complaining.
>>
Without a doubt sprites are fantastic and excellent moments in Pokemon progress, but let's not pretend for a second that moving forward is automatically bad.
>>
File: Poochyena what I saw.png (7 KB, 562x346) Image search: [Google]
Poochyena what I saw.png
7 KB, 562x346
>>26718868
>>
I actually genuinely like that sprite.
I mean a lot of the Red/Blue/Green sprites are horrendous, specially the back sprites, but that one is well rendered and fairly interesting. It just doesn't resemble the Golbat we know today. If I saw it in a game like Mother though i wouldn't think twice.
>>
>>26719021
>Shaded textures
God i miss these. Even if it's a pretty weird render, it refreshing to see something that doesn't look as flat as the models in gen 6.
>>
>>26719057
Wasn't there an enemy in Earthbound that looked exactly like that?
>>
I like both. I never understand why there's such an obnoxious 2D vs 3D mentality among gamers. I also LOVE when you faggots pretend to know the difficulties and time consumption involved in either.
>>
>>26719105

Sprites are better for some genres, models are better for others. That's all there is to it.
>>
I think models are a bit better if you want to convey constant movement with the sprites. I know GF can't afford to put in metal slug tier animation for each pokemon's idle animation, so models are probably the way to go.
>>
>>26719143
No.
>>
>>26719143
It has nothing to do with genres and all to do with usage.
3D is simply much more versatile than 2D and with enough effort can be made to look a lot like 2D too. Just look at Blazblue.
3D can be animated, rotated and deformed all with the same asset while sprites need to be redrawn for every frame of animation or else you get the mess that was B/W animations. And even then the animations are limited in the two axises the camera is parallel to.
2D only makes sense when a game's view is very static else you're just shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
File: 1462917996022.jpg (56 KB, 667x667) Image search: [Google]
1462917996022.jpg
56 KB, 667x667
>>26719297
>B/W sprites
>A mess
Pic related
>Inb4 Unovabortion
>>
>>26718868
It's not like that's a bad sprite, it's just over-the-top. At least pick Blue Koffing or something from Green.
>>
>>26719313
they were bad
>>
>>26719297
What? Blazblue is 2D sprites. They base them on 3D models, but they're 2D sprites. Guilty Gear Xrd is the one with stylised 3D models.
>>
>>26719313
How is that trolling? B/W Sprites look very garbled and messy when animated. They suffered greatly from aliasing issues.
>>
>>26719313
They are a mess because they're using path animations for low res sprites. Those only look good with high resolution images because otherwise you can clearly see the diagonal pixels.
Which is another advantage of 3D, it can be displayed in any resolution and still look like good.
Plus they'll never overcome the axis constraints because it simply does not work.
>>26719328
Welp, my bad. I thought they were the same game.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.