[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, we all agree that Pokemon jumped the shark with Mega Evolution?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11
File: 1457325069452.jpg (20 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
1457325069452.jpg
20 KB, 340x270
So, we all agree that Pokemon jumped the shark with Mega Evolution?
>>
No. It breathed life into previously useless Pokemon like Charizard, Beedrill, and Pidgeot, to name a few.
>>
>>26718742
Kinda. If megas havent been implemented maybe we would have gotten more mons and a tad more content?
>>
>>26718742
As a Mawile fan, I am inclined to disagree
>>
>>26718742
I liked it. It breathed new life into my favorite Pokémon and allowed them to get more merchandise and exposure.
>>
>>26718742
>not posting Mega Sharpedo or Mega Garchomp
>>
Absolutely it jumped the shark. Though I don't find the idea bad in concept it was executed rather poorly especially when it was first introduced.
>>
>>26718742
Ruined cross evos but really fucking saved a few Pokemon, Altaria Gallade Beedrill Manectric Mawile lopunny to name a few. At the same time too many Pokemon got one that didn't need one of just got awful megas
>>
>MegaZard Y exists
Nah
>>
File: tumblr_o8jdtvuF711tet3mvo1_1280.png (647 KB, 1280x803) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8jdtvuF711tet3mvo1_1280.png
647 KB, 1280x803
>>26718742
>So, we all agree that Pokemon jumped the shark with Mega Evolution?

>Things that were never declared as a consensus: the post
>>
>>26718831
what if they just made it a normal evolution with decent stats, wouldn't that have been better?
>>
>>26719149
Then that anon couldn't have been a Mawile fan.
>>
>>26718742
Nope, that was the only way pokemon could go to revitalize the game without pulling out more shitty cross gens.

What people do agree on however that Gen 4 jumped the shark by making Pokemon literal gods.
>>
>>26719149
No because
1) it wouldn't be a Mawile anymore
2) it would have been utter shit and get less than half of the boost M-Mawile got
>>
>>26718742
I agree
>>
>>26719721
underrated
>>
>>26718742
Yes there are too many fucking megas.
>>
>>26718742
Everyone with a brain knows it jumped the shark when it created established Pokemon deities and a creation myth for them to fit into.
>>
>>26720325
So it jumped the shark during gen 1?
>>
>>26719998
>2) it would have been utter shit and get less than half of the boost M-Mawile got

Regular evolutions don't have caps for what you can do to it. Megas have to be +100 BST and can't go above.
>>
>>26722024
Yes, but megas tend to be made a lot stronger than normal evos because they don't have a free item slot and you're limited to one per team.
>>
File: Duwile.png (17 KB, 475x331) Image search: [Google]
Duwile.png
17 KB, 475x331
>>26719149
if it had the same design, then yeah sure.

but the thing is, M-Mawile has a lower BST than half the Pokemon that have megas BEFORE they evolve.

Pic related is an estimation for where MMawile would be at with a regular evo rather than a Mega.
Also it wouldnt have Huge Power. Would this evolution even be half decent? Probably not. Especially not as long as Bisharp exists
>>
>>26719149
Shh, GF advertises features like Pokebank. It's clear Pokemon has gone past its peak
>>
>>26718770
why more content?
>>
It was good idea, it was just implemented poorly.
>>
>>26718756
And the last nail in the coffin for Banette, Audino and Steelix.
>>
>>26718742
I would've liked if they were implemented better. Not the Mega Evolutions themselves, they were great, but they should've appeared as enemies way more and XY's whole "Only appear at a certain time" hunting mechanic was ridiculous. They really did feel like they were a big thing when you got to the Mega-Evolution Tower, and then basically disappeared from the game if you weren't using one of the few Pokémon that could Mega-Evolve pre-E4.

ORAS did a much better job, mind you.

>>26719149
Yes.

But that's not really a fair comparison. Mega evolutions will never be as good as proper evolutions, because the latter are better designed and better balanced. Buuut the advantage to Meta Evolutions is that they're really easy for GameFreak to make, so there's a lot more of them.
>>
If anyone says that Mega Evolution has put them off the series, I won't argue with them, even if I disagree. Provided they actually move on and don't stick around and complain, of course.
>>
So, we all agree that OP jumped the shark with being born?
>>
>>26719149
It depends on if it's capable of being better than Eviolite Mawile.
>>
>>26719144
Sexy gallade.
>>
>>26720312
What? I wasn't trying to make a joke.
>>
>>26718742
Maybe... I don't know what your expression means
>>
>>26718742
Not really. I feel like they didn't competitively balance the Megas, but they did give meaning to many older unused pokemon.
>>
>>26722486
Giga mega steelix soon
>>
File: 65011513.jpg (60 KB, 347x260) Image search: [Google]
65011513.jpg
60 KB, 347x260
>>26718742
>>
>>26722342
Pokebank is great if you're not autist who bought another 3ds so he could trade with him self
>>
So it was the best thing they did and nothing could compare afterwards?
>>
>>26719149
No because I don't get to change abilities mid battle and because it turns mawile into a useless NFE.

Getting a super mode was the best outcome. You get the best of both worlds
>>
>>26722457
I think it was pretty well implemented. They added megas for pokemons like Beedrill and Glalie to show that they will give Megas to shitmons, but of course they had to give megas to pokemons like charizard, lucario and legendaries, because they sell. I mean, there are more shitmons with mega than legendaries/postermons.
>>
>>26725597
Shut the fuck up. I'm so tired of being disrespected on this goddamn website. All I wanted to do was post my opinion. MY OPINION. But no, you little bastards think it's "hilarious" to mock those with good opinions. My opinion. while not absolute, is definitely worth the respect to formulate an ACTUAL FUCKING RESPONSE AND NOT JUST A SHORT MEME OF A REPLY. I've been on this site for 6 months: 6 MONTHS and I have never felt this wronged. It boils me up that I could spend so much time thinking and putting effort into things while you shits sit around (probably jerking off to traps or whatever gay shit you like) and make fun of the intellectuals of this world. I've bored you? Good for fucking you. Literally no one cares that your little brain is to underdeveloped and rotted to comprehend my idea...MY GREAT GREAT IDEA. I could sit here all day whining, but I won't. I'm NOT a whiner. I'm a realist and an intellectual. I know when to call it quits and to leave the babybrains to themselves. I'm done with this goddamn site and you goddamn immature children. I have lived my life up until this point having to deal with memesters and idiots like you. I know how you work. I know that you all think you're "epik trolls" but you're not. You think you baited me? NAH. I've never taken any bait. This is my 100% real opinion divorced from anger. I'm calm, I'm serene. I LAUGH when people imply I'm intellectually low enough to take bait. I always choose to reply just to spite you. I won. I've always won. Losing is not in my skillset. So you're probably gonna reply "lol epik trolled" or "u mad bro" but once you've done that you've shown me I've won. I've tricked the trickster and conquered memery. I live everyday growing stronger to fight you plebs and low level trolls who are probably 11 (baby, you gotta be 18 to use 4chan). But whatever, I digress. It's just fucking annoying that I'm never taken serious on this site, goddamn.
>>
>>26722342
But Pokebank is a great idea. It's meant to last and let you transfer Pokemon from generation to generation without the bullshit minigames.
>>
>>26725651
Not to mention the free BP and Pokémiles.
>>
>>26720325
I actually kinda like that, it's world build-y as fuck.
>>
>>26722024
>Regular evolutions don't have caps for what you can do to it.
Find one that went over 100.

They get absolutely mediocre boosts compared to mega evolution on top of that Mawile wouldn't get Huge Power, the thing that makes it a powerhouse.
>>
>>26725691
>capturing gods is world building
No, if you're making a god story you have to have your protag be god level too or wield some magical energy or and so on.

The pokegods just demolished the world pokemon had set up.
>>
>>26725610
its basically impossible for there to be any respect on this website, im sorry
>>
File: HNI_0031.jpg (48 KB, 309x385) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0031.jpg
48 KB, 309x385
>>26718756
This.
>>
>>26722141
I would've put more speed into it over defense myself, but that's not terrible.
>>
>>26719997
>What people do agree on however that Gen 4 jumped the shark by making Pokemon literal gods.
This.

Don't be surprised if Arceus is never brought back into the limelight, of if its lore is retconned.
>>
>>26718742
I have a phobia of small metal objects such as rings, bracelets, chains and coins and this image is incredibly triggering to me.

That said, Mega Evolution is equal parts wonderful and awful. I'm eager to see Megas of my shit bros like Skuntank and Ledian, but Mega Fug, Megamom, and friends are all shamefully absurd and shouldn't exist.
>>
>>26723373
I thought you were referencing people who suddenly have shitmons as their one true bro just because it received a broken mega
>>
File: Reeeeeee !!.jpg (84 KB, 775x287) Image search: [Google]
Reeeeeee !!.jpg
84 KB, 775x287
I hate megas !!

It would have been ok if they only gave them to weak mons to make them useful and able to fight against legendarily pokemon
but then they give them to already powerful legendary and pseudo legendary pokemon. why would I bother giving a mega stone to a pidgey when there is a Garchomp that can also hold one.
>>
Pokemon jumped the shark with these repeating digits.
>>
>>26720325
>yfw you thought arceus meant the end of pokemon

But megas I got used to. I hope everyone's favorites get megas or evolutions if needed.
>>
>>26725959
>>26725597
They don't give a fuck about competitive. They want the kids to be able to beat the game with their favorite without having to overlevel to compensate how unusable their favorite shitmon is.
>>
File: 22.png (133 KB, 304x199) Image search: [Google]
22.png
133 KB, 304x199
>>26725707
I assume you specifically mean cross-gens, because regular evolutions would have tons of examples. I also won't use baby Pokémon since that's going in the wrong direction.

Poliwag gets a +115 boost into Politoed.

Lickitung gets a +115 boost into Lickylicky.

Roselia gets a +115 boost into Roserade.

Porygon gets a +120 boost into Porygon2.

Aipom gets a +122 boost into Ambipom.

Yanma gets a +125 boost into Yanmega.

Togetic gets a +140 boost into Togekiss.

Nosepass gets a +150 boost into Probopass.

Slowpoke gets a +175 boost into Slowking.

Snorunt gets a +180 boost into Froslass.

All Eeveelutions raise Eevee's BST by +200.

Kirlia gets a +240 boost going into Gallade.

There are some really shitty evolutions out there, like Electabuzz only gets a +50 boost going into Electivire holy shit, but weaker Pokémon have a better chance of getting a good evolution than a good Mega. Like if Game Freak ever shows mercy and gives Farfetch'd a Mega, how the fuck are you going to make it worthwhile? You'd have to minmax it worse than Beedrill to make a 452 BST Mega work. With an evolution you don't have any limits, they could give it something like 532 BST (which would be nice since it's 352 swapped around and fits in the range of evo BST boosts), then you might get something useable.
>>
>>26726256
The problem is that cross gen evos are a very delicate situation. They can fuck up completely the evo looks like in gen4, or have it completely outclassed by its NFE holding an eviolite.

Mawile is a 480BST pokemon that broke into ubers. If they give Farfetch'd a typing to replace normal and give it a better ability like gale wings, he would already be pretty usable.
>>
>>26718742
>Hurr durr I hate Megas the thing literally keeping Pokemon barely above water as it drowns in a sea of Yokai Watch and mobile games

Megas were made to appeal to children, anon. Maybe this is a sign you should stop liking a children's game?
>>
File: 25.png (216 KB, 721x459) Image search: [Google]
25.png
216 KB, 721x459
>>26726454
>he would already be pretty usable.

Farfetch'd doesn't have a stat above 65. It's slower, glassier, and weaker than Talonflame, to compare it to the current Gale Wings user. It cannot function as it is, Gale Wings wouldn't be enough because it can't damage anything, Huge Power wouldn't be enough because it gets outsped and oneshot by everything, it needs a stat increase and those stats to help it out overall if it wants to stand a chance.

And Megas can fuck up how an evo looks as well. You're right about NFEs having a chance to outshine the evo, but that's just because Eviolite was a mistake.
>>
>>26726913
*it needs a stat increase spread in all stats (except Sp. Atk) to help it out overall
>>
>>26718742
What's the point of asking if we all agree when you know that we don't all agree? Why do you do this? Why?
>>
>>26722486
Honestly, I doubt Steelix and Banette would ever get an evo. It's possible that Audino could.
>>
>>26726913
>And Megas can fuck up how an evo looks as well.
You do realise that megas were made to get around that seeing as they aren't permanent right?
>>
>>26727486
Are you ever going to NOT Megaevolve your Pokémon, unless you have multiples?
>>
>>26727505
And unlike regular evolution you keep your favourite.
You're not getting this are you.
>>
>>26727505
Outside of battle.
Amie
etc.
Plus the mega still resembles the regular Pokemon more than any cross gen evo has.
>>
No. It was a smart way to allow new evolutions without causing base stat power creep.
>>
>>26718742
I think it would have been better if they made on-mega evolution a more desirable option.

At the moment, there is no reason whatsoever to not mega evolve your pokemon and just wreck shit.

If they treated megas as an alternative third evolution, so that you had to choose between regular charizard and mega charizard when charmeleon evolved, with either charizard having different stats and bonus and types, making the decision situational.

It's obviously been good for minor pokemon, but stupid shit like Salamence is just imba bullshit.
>>
>>26727743
>If they treated megas as an alternative third evolution, so that you had to choose between regular charizard and mega charizard when charmeleon evolved, with either charizard having different stats and bonus and types, making the decision situational.
That's retarded. No one would ever choose regular Charizard if they did that, also it would have an item in addition to it's mega stats and abilities it would have an item making them even more centralizing than they already are.
Hell you could just blitz another person's team from the get go instead of having to deal with the speed not carrying over depending on the mega.

Why is it you people never fail to provide worse ideas than what we actually have?

Also there needs to be a term for the speed thing like how Duel Masters had summoning sickness
>>
File: WHOA NIGGA.png (90 KB, 509x471) Image search: [Google]
WHOA NIGGA.png
90 KB, 509x471
>>26726983
>Doubting Banette would get an evo when Dusclops did
>>
>>26727668
>without causing base stat power creep

Megamawile is stronger than literally any cross-gen evo. You have pseudolegendaries getting 700BST Megas.

There are ways to defend Megas but claiming they prevent power creep is a falsehood.
>>
>>26727842
The alternate wouldn't have the same stats as the current mega.

Just imagine that Charizard X and regular Charizard have the same BST, distributed differently, and the Mega stone is a one-time consumable item, not a held item.

So now both versions have their own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice is deciding which one you want.

Megas right now are just lame, because there's no reason not to mega evolve. It will always be more powerful than the original, which is fine for pokemon that needed it, like mawile, lopunny, beedrill, etc., but a horrible idea for pokemon that are already strong, like Salamence.
>>
>>26727943
>So now both versions have their own strengths and weaknesses, and the choice is deciding which one you want.
And both will be just as shit as the original was.

You have literally done nothing but make the game worse.
>>
>>26726256
>Poliwag into Politoed

That one doesn't count, but your other examples stand.
>>
>>26727505
Yes.

Sometimes I just use regular Kangaskhan unironically in wifi battles.
>>
File: vrEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOM.png (23 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
vrEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOM.png
23 KB, 150x150
Man, I think Mega Evolution is a good concept, but Gamefreak just handled it really, really poorly. Giving it to mons that clearly needed no help/giving them ridiculously OP ones was a complete mistake, but it's for the kids, so I see where they're coming from from a marketing standpoint.
>>
>>26727957
Well like I said, it makes no sense for shitmons like beedrill, mawile, etc. Megas helped in that regard because it gave them something new about them and made them viable again.

But for strong pokemon it's a stupid idea.
>>
>>26727943
There's multiple Megas that are strictly inferior to the normal form
>>
>>26718742
They jumped the shark and succeeded.

But the shark took a leg and an arm in doing so. It's not until gen 7 that they may be able to remedy that loss.
>>
>>26728009
Irrelevant to my argument, but which ones?
>>
File: 1429870365328.png (166 KB, 264x314) Image search: [Google]
1429870365328.png
166 KB, 264x314
>>26727988
It doesn't really help that the method to obtain the megastones is akin to finding TMs, but with a limited window to even find them.

As a result, I've never once fully obtained all TMs in a generation, let alone all the new megastones that keep coming out.
>>
>>26728045
>but with a limited window to even find them.
Not in ORAS.
>>
>>26728037
Garchomp and Alakazam
>>
>>26728059
Well garchomp has 10 less speed, and 100BST more than the regular spread out amongst the other stats.

Alakazam has 90BST more did none of his stats were lowered, only increased.

They aren't really inferior to their normal form.
>>
>>26728009
>Mega Heracross
>Mega Latios

Those are the only two that are almost entirely pointless compared to the original Pokemon.

Ones like Aggron, Alakazam, Garchomp, Scizor, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Gyarados, Latias, and Slowbro might not completely outclass their vanilla counterparts at everything, but they DO outclass them at their niche. They are more situational, but still solid choices.
>>
>>26728037
Garchomp loses it's speed which drastically lowers it's usefulness
Blaziken outclassed by LO Blaziken
Alakazam only 90 points were added, loses magic guard, outclassed by LO Alakazam
Tyranitar solely by losing it's item.
The Latis are outright worse than their Soul Dew counterparts

Banette is pretty shitty too because it's ability isn't taken into account on the first turn meaning you have to rely on protect and it still lacks the defenses needed to live.
>>
>>26718756
See, megas would be so much better if they were restricted to Pokemon like Beedrill and Pidgeot, Pokemon that have evolved twice and are still shit. But when you give it to a bunch of Pokemon that still have room to evolve or ones who are just fine, or even OP without it, it just makes the whole concept so unnecessary.
>>
>>26728108
Well I spoke ab out Alakazam and Garchomp here
>>26728101

I know Aggron takes a dive in speed when he evolves, but his speed was fucking horrible to begin with, it's not like he was built for it in the first place.

All megas increase the BST, which means that it's just an outright buff in most circumstances.

i think having the same BST but in distributed differently is a much better way of doing it, because then you could have a tyranitar that's built to tank, or you could choose to have a tyranitar with speed and/or attack, etc.

>>26728130
I didn't think about the fact that abilities changes and they lose an item slot, I was thinking in terms of stats only, so your're right in that regard.
>>
>>26728187
>I was thinking in terms of stats only
First thing you should know about Pokemon after gen 1.
Stats aren't everything.

In fact most megas can be outclassed by regular Pokemon with just an item barring the absurd ones like Mega Ray.
>>
>>26726913
I want a Farfetch'd Mega Evo where he holds two leeks, one in each wing.

He'll not physically change. Instead, he'll just put on sunglasses.

High speed and attack boosts. Gets an equivalent to parental bond.
>>
>>26728130
MBlaziken is not outclassed by Vanilla LO Blaziken.

MBlaziken can run Adamant, and if it does, it outdamages Jolly LO Blaziken, is still faster and have a little more bulk to take better resisted attacks since it's not killing itself by LO recoil.

>>26728108
MHeracross plays completely different than Base Heracross, they fill different roles, and MHeracross isn't strictly inferior, sure is slower, but it has better coverage options thanks to the multi-hit moves.
Not saying is perfect, but not either pointless.

But if by pointless you meant "not overpowered like MKangaskhan, MSalamence and the like"... well, yeah, then most of the Mega Evos are pointless.
>>
>>26728268
>MBlaziken can run Adamant, and if it does, it outdamages Jolly LO Blaziken

Both can run adamant you idiot, running Jolly on SB Blazi is ridiculous seeing as after one turn you're going to outspeed most pokemon anyway. On top of that the extra speed isn't factored into things until the turn after mega evolution.
LO also outdamages the mega if just barely.

The only reason to use Mega Blaziken over LO is the bulk and 10 points in each isn't going to save you from anything.
There's a reason people think M-Blazi is a waste of a mega slot.
>>
>>26728268
>MHeracross plays completely different than Base Heracross, they fill different roles, and MHeracross isn't strictly inferior, sure is slower, but it has better coverage options thanks to the multi-hit moves.
>Not saying is perfect, but not either pointless.
It's not pointless but it's also not as good as regular Guts Heracross with vanilla moves like Megahorn, Close Combat, etc. Heck, you can even give it a Scarf and make it fast-ish.
>>
>>26726913
I said usable, and not hight tier in a fan fiction metagame. Because right now, Farfetch'd is shit even ingame.
>>
I'd been waiting for the pokegods since 1999 so I love them.
>>
Yep. Mega Evolution was the first concrete sign that they'd run out of good ideas and resorted to the bottom of their barrel.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.