[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All right, we need to clear some things up because a lot of people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: bcXMG.jpg (657 KB, 2591x1935) Image search: [Google]
bcXMG.jpg
657 KB, 2591x1935
All right, we need to clear some things up because a lot of people have their facts wrong.

Gen 1 games were made before Nintendo had standardized the use of flash memory in handheld systems. To save your data, these games instead use a RAM chip powered by a single watch battery contained in the cartridge to hold your save data.
>In short, these cartridges contain batteries, and if the battery dies, it deletes your save. You also won't be able to save again until you replace the battery.
However, these batteries can last 15+ years.

Gen 2 games are the same situation. However, the battery has to pull double duty because these games include a real-time clock to keep track of the time. So the battery powers both the clock and the RAM chip, and as a result, the batteries die faster than in Gen 1 games. Most have already died, in fact.

Gen 3 is where people always seem to get confused. By the time these games came out, Nintendo had standardized flash memory across the board, therefore there was no need to include a battery for saving. However, because RSE once again use a real-time clock, they put batteries in the cartridges anyway to keep the clock going.
>In short, RSE do include a battery, but if it runs out it WILL NOT delete your save, it will simply stop the in-game clock.
It's worth noting that FR/LG do NOT have batteries because these games don't have an in-game clock. (This is a good way to spot fake cartridges, by the way.)

Starting with Gen 4, all games use the Nintendo DS/3DS's internal clock to keep track of time. Therefore, no Pokemon cartridges made after this point contain batteries. They only contain a flash chip to save your data.

Now please stop spreading false information.
>>
>>26714466
Nice try Injector.
>>
>>26714466
I've never seen anyone here claim anything contrary to these facts but thank you for posting anyway.

May I ask where and in what thread someone said otherwise?
>>
>>26714510
Vague bits in here >>26713203, dunno why there was such a rant here though
>>
>>26714510
It's just been a culmination over the years of seeing false information posted.
>>
>>26714549
OP here, I actually didn't see that thread. I simply wanted to create a reference for people to use.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.