[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Gen 2 introduced items, day and night, weather, different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
>Gen 2 introduced items, day and night, weather, different genders, breeding and 2 new types
>Gen 3 introduced abilities and contests
>Gen 4 gave the physical/special split and introduced Wi-Fi
>Gen 6 introduced Megas, Pokemon Amie, a new type, Super Training, Wonder Trading

And Gen 5 introduced nothing except crappy triple battles. How is this a good gen?
>>
>>26710639
It introduced better character writing and Scolipede.
>>
>>26710639
Hidden abilities
>>
because gen 5 being a bad gen is your opinion and this thread will reach 200 replies when your opinion isnt going to change anyways
>>
>ignoring hidden abilities

Besides that, they were fun games. What more do you need?
>>
Because instead of introducing new things that you'll just remove later, it decided to enhance the main game and single player experience with the love and care that only people that love Pokémon could put in it.
>>
>>26710639
Gen 5 also introduced the worse Pokemon of the entire franchise, the fire monkey.
>>
>>26710639
>Gen 3 introduced abilities
Shit I didn't even know there where no abilities in Gen I and II. That seems like the most important thing out of everything OP mentioned. It's hard for me to imagine pokemon without them.
>>
>>26710639
Gen 5 introduced Hidden Abilities and infinite TM, making multiplayer really accessible to everyone
>>
>>26710696
This.
I always forgot the dark days of only using a TM once
>>
>>26710639
There comes a point in a series where refining what you have becomes more important than adding new things. Gen 5 understood that and Gen 6 didn't. That's my only fear with SM. That it will add for the sake of adding when it just needs to enhance.
>>
It isn't, because BW1 is trash. That doesn't have to do with how much it added, though, it's just that it's a plain bad game with the only redeeming factor being having the core Pokemon mechanics.

BW2 is ace though and at the very least a contender for best Pokemon game if not the best.
>>
File: rosa.jpg (52 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
rosa.jpg
52 KB, 736x414
Gen V introduced Rosa.
>>
>>26710661
>>26710666
>>26710696
Why do people act like hidden abilities were some major gameplay addition? They're just abilities that are harder to get than regular abilities, that's it. You guys are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if you put hidden abilities on the same level as breeding, natures, physical/special split, megas and new types. The truth is that Gen V didn't bring much to the table.
>>
>>26710744
This nigga gets it.
>>
>>26710660
>Scolipede
bias
>>
>>26710639
>infinite TM
>connectivity outside of a pokemon center
>Hidden abilities
>Global Link
>Triples and Rotation
>Pass/O-powers

Also for gen 3 you forgot
>reworked the EV/IV system
>Natures
>Ribbons
>>
It didn't need to introduce anything in order to be good. Sometimes less is more.
>>
File: 1369865566176.png (125 KB, 400x509) Image search: [Google]
1369865566176.png
125 KB, 400x509
>>26710786
Rosa is shit, shit, shit!
>>
>>26710840
Gen V wasn't horrible though. I'd rather have thought out features than just adding things to the game for the sake of adding them.
>>
>>26710873
> Gen V O-Powers
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>26710840
Because without them a lot of pokemon would be stuck with bad abilities( look at Sableye) or forced to run one set( Excadrill has all three of its abilities viable).
Gen V brought a lot of useful things for competitive players
>>
>>26710639
Gen 5 introduced Triple and Rotation battles, Hidden Abilities, reusable TMs, asking you if you wanted to use another repel, Dream World and the Global Link, the medal system, the Wonder Launcher, and Pass Powers.
Join Avenue also had really convenient services like instantly hatching your eggs, EV training your mons, etc. Maybe do some research next time.

Also, contests for Gen 3, really? Not Natures and Double Battles, the official format to this day? If contests are such a big thing, you might as well add musicals, pokéstar studios and the pokéathlon to that list.

>>26710894
I'd rather get pass orbs fairly quickly than shake my 3DS like a madman, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>26710894
They were still called Pass Powers back then, but it was Gen V who introduced them, while Gen VI improved them
>>
>>26710869
Not >>26710660 here but Scolipede was the first bug I took all the way to the end game with me.
>>
>>26710894
Yes?
They were called Pass Powers and they did the exact same thing as O-Powers.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/entralinkpower.shtml
>>
>>26710741
That doesn't fucking count. Other gens bring out new revolutionary features
>>
>>26710869
Oh yeah I have an amazing bias. I love Scolipede, and most of the Unova dex.
>>
>>26710938
Do you even know what it was like before reusable TMs? Unless you hacked, trading boards were swarming with requests for spares and your movesets were hindered by said TM's availability. It's a much more significant contribution than fucking Amie.
>>
>>26710639
Gen 5 introduced infinite use of tms. Name one aspect that makes the game more playable than that?
>>
>>26710938
Unlimited TMs were absolutely a revolutionary feature. They made the games significantly more fun.
>>
>>26710639
Because it was more or less gen 4.5, being built off of the same engine and everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Sun and Moon were more or less gen 6.5 mechanically, being built off of XY's engine and all.

Sometimes it's nice to have these "mechanical buff/streamline gens" rather than a system overhaul.
>>
>>26710938
Ever hear of "too good to use" syndrome?
Every game prior to five was filled with that shit, you didn't want to use your TM out of fear of wasting it.
It also removed a huge degree of tedium in obtaining those TMs and don't forget that some TMs were only obtainable ONCE per run.
>>
Because Galvantula
>>
>>26710933
Just heard this today. I blame the wifi shutdown.
>>
>>26710744
I think SM, being built on the same engine as XY, will do this.
>>
>>26711066
They weren't connected to Wifi.
>>
Infinite TMs
>>
>>26710744
>Gen 5 understood that and Gen 6 didn't
Both generations refined the formula anon. In fact gen 6 game strides in things like breeding and further improved on Gen 5's connectivity anywhere by allowing wifi connection as opposed to just local.
>>
>>26711066
It' wasn't a wifi thing. You'd connect locally to another player and provided each other with pass powers. However, you can actually use them by yourself in BW2. Pretty much the same powers as Gen 6, even. Only hassle is that some are version exclusive and you need to communicate with the opposite version to get them.
>>
>>26711047
Also a good bug
>>
>>26710744
>There comes a point in a series where refining what you have becomes more important than adding new things. Gen 5 understood that and Gen 6 didn't.
Ok... seriously? That's the best justification you can come up with to justify the lack of introduced new features to the battle system? What about all the things Gen 6 improved, like streamlined breeding and Super Training? It's okay to like Gen V better, it can be better even without having introduced lots of huge new features. But trying to spin doing so as a bad thing and the lack of as a pro for BW is extremely desperate and straw-graspy. I have to assume you like these games for a reason besides "it introduced fewer features but made the existing ones better which is better than XY!"
>>
>>26710911
>triple & rotation
Unnecessary addition. Doubles is enough
>Hidden abilities
Hard to obtain and some of them are worse than default abilities
>asking repel
Fair enough
>Dream World, Global link etc.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA too bad they're gone now, have fun having these unavailable features being flaunted in your face.
>Join Avenue
This one is good, I miss them.
>Musicals
Nobody carea, Pokestars are much better though
>>
>>26711119
>Unnecessary addition. Doubles is enough
You don't decide what's unnecessary anon. In any case new battle formats are never bad and it was a welcome addition.

>Hard to obtain
They were incredibly easy to obtain especially in BW2 with Hidden Grottoes.

>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA too bad they're gone now
Except the Global Link is still used with the current games you retard. Think before you laugh.
>>
B/W was the only new gen game that I put about 80 hours into or something and then almost never picked up again, it just didn't do anything for me
>>
>>26710639
>people Say Genwun is the best
>Genwun introduced absolutely nothing

Genwunners will defend this
>>
>>26711119
Gen 6's will be gone in time too, anon. It doesn't mean it's not a good feature now and that it wasn't one when Gen 5's was up. Is Gen 4's introduction of wifi a moot point now that it's dead?

Also only brought up musicals and pokéstar because contests were mentioned. I don't think any of those are significant enough additions, even if they're fun. Musicals notwithstanding. I even said so in my post.
>>
>>26711148
>Hidden Grottoes
Most of the time there's literally nothing inside
>still used with current games
I was talking about the feature in Gen V.
>>
>>26711148
People are talking about shit lke Megas being pointless additions for the sake of having something new, but Rotation and Triples were the first and still most blatant example of that. Nobody wanted them. They didn't add anything of relevance. It didn't become the official format of choice like Doubles. I'm surprised they're still in XY since all it does is shit up the framerate.
>>
>>26711171
Contests were a whole other level than Pokestar and Musicals though. Pokethlon tried to do a similar thing but there wasn't as much depth as contests.
>>
>>26710639
Gen 5 didn't introduce many big things, but it did introduce a lot of things to just make the game a little bit easier. Hidden abilities, dream world, PGL, reusable TMs...none of them are major changes, but all of them are useful. It also introduced somewhat better writing, and it's a pity that 6 dropped that ball so hard.
>>
>>26711223
>better writing
It tries to but fails so hard unlike XY
>>
>>26711223
>It also introduced somewhat better writing, and it's a pity that 6 dropped that ball so hard.
I honestly think XY had better writing, in the sense that what it wanted to say was more interesting rather than strictly how it was written (Pokemon's actual editing has been pretty shit for a while now, BW2 is noticeably horrible in that respect) I think it's just more subtle. I think BW had better ideas but executed them much more straightforward and blandly. They really ruined an interesting idea by having it so Ghetsis was just a big bad evil dude behind all the conflict between you and N, which oversimplified its messages a lot.
>>
>>26711180
>Most of the time there's literally nothing inside
That depends entirely on the Pokemon and grotto. Of course the FE pokemon will be harder to find.

>I was talking about the feature in Gen V.
So just the dream world then, good for you but it doesn't change the fact that the Global Link was introduced in gen 5 and is still used today.
>>
>>26710840
If HAs are so garbage then why are contests and amie on the list? They weren't game changing either.
>>
>>26711506
Contests were pretty deep in Gen 3 and 4, and Amie is a great character building feature for Pokemon.
>>
>>26711518
>Gen 4 contests
>deep
Amie is a pretty decent feature too especially with how useful it is in game.
>>
File: I.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
I.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>26711518
>>
>>26711594
It would help if you actually used them.
>>
>>26711547
I might be forgetting something. But RSE contests I definitely remember being its own full fledged thing, practically, not just a feature they threw in to make use of new assets like stuff like Pokethlon, Musicals, even Amie really.
>>
>>26711119
>Unnecessary addition
You could say that about anything in Pokemon. Special/Physical split? Unnecessary. Day/Night? Unnecessary. Breeding? Unnecessary.

>Hard to obtain and some of them are worse than their default abilities
And some of them are better. What's your point? Yeah they're shitty to obtain, but Gen 6 built on them to make them steadily better. The mechanic is fine, it's just the implementation that was at fault.
>>
>>26710692
I agree, I fucking hate Chimchar.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.