[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about all the alchemy symbolism in Pokemon Sun/Moon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13
File: Pokemon Alchemy Symbolism.jpg (103 KB, 995x802) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Alchemy Symbolism.jpg
103 KB, 995x802
How do you feel about all the alchemy symbolism in Pokemon Sun/Moon? This official image, and the explanation behind the legendaries and alll. Do you like the designs more now? Are you interested? What other alchemy shit do you think we can expect?
>>
>How do you feel about it?
Tired of hearing this alchemical stuff literally everywhere I go.
>>
>>26707478

>Hawaii islands
>Alchemy as a theme

I think minus a few Pokemon having literal symbols carved onto their body for WOW THEMES there'll be jackshit other than a reference here or there. Sort of like how XY handled chaos and destruction v eternal life in a pretty shitty way.

However Sun and Moon having alchemical themes is pretty blatant. It won't be well done though. Why did they use the mundane element sign for Sulfur when they could use the actual Hellenic symbols for earth, fire, and water?

Pretty hamfisted to go around saying 'salt = earth = grass.'
>>
>>26707538
Wasn't everything in X/Y handled in a shitty way though? It's hard to use X/Y as a measure of quality in either direction when it was so terrible.
>>
>>26707559

More like the story handling eternal life as a theme was 'Look, here's a guy with LITERAL ETERNAL LIFE' and chaos and destruction was just 'Look, here's a SUPERWEAPON.'

Nips just can't into thematic subtlety. Prepare for some rare Pokemon to undergo some kind of cosmetic transformation depending on what berries it eats and for people to pipe up proclaiming it as an exploration of alchemical themes.
>>
File: asvsldnbv.png (66 KB, 352x203) Image search: [Google]
asvsldnbv.png
66 KB, 352x203
>>
>>26707478
>Earth
>a Flying type
>>
>This official image

How do you figure this is official, OP? If it's official, why is the text in English? Why isn't it colored? Most, if not all of the officially released images are colored, shaded, the whole 9 yards. Only leaks are this sketched shit.

I call bullshit on this.
3/10 for making me reply.
>>
>>26708155
>>26708155
Becomes Grass/Ground according to the .jp website.

Watch it just become a green Wan Shi Tong.
>>
>>26708417
>Becomes Grass/Ground according to the .jp website.

Bullshit.
>>
>>26708144
>Rock Doggy being the alchemical symbol for spirit
>>
ability vital spirit?
>>
Another thing to note the three starters and Iwanko could represent the four classical elements: fire, water, earth, and air.
>>
>>26707478
this pic need that rock puppy
>>
File: Iwanko Alchemy.jpg (60 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Iwanko Alchemy.jpg
60 KB, 1024x768
>>26710437
Here ya go.
>>
>>26707478
>This official image

Sauce?
>>
>>26707538
> France
> Norse mythology as a theme

> New York
> Three Musketters as a theme
>>
>>26710550
Unova was more based on taoism, i think. what with Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem representing Yin, Yang, and Wuji.
>>
>>26707478
It's pretty amusing for the first few times, but now it seems to be the only thing people would talk about.
I mean, it's not wrong to stretch a fact or two just to fit a certain symbolism, but when said stretch is considered factual, then we have a problem.

That said, I'm still hoping for any FMA reference, just for the shit and giggles.
>>
>>26710598
Out of curiosity, did you consider it a stretch when Xerneas and Yveltal were first thought to be of Norse Mythology?
>>
>>26707538
Earth symbol appears in the temple where solgaleo/lunala appears.
Watch the first trailer and pause it when lenala appears.
>>
File: PleiadesTetractys800px.png (2 MB, 800x1255) Image search: [Google]
PleiadesTetractys800px.png
2 MB, 800x1255
>>26707478
Marshadow might represent the top symbol here, we might have a quartet of legendaries, all of singular types.

Iwanko representing lead might be down to design decisions, not a major contributor, but a theme follower all the same, the starters and legendaries though, they're actually linked.
>>
>>26710884
Without a doubt, this generation is going to be the biggest in terms of lore. Even more than Sinnoh.
>>
>>26710917
know what's even better?

Sun and Moon are alchemical symbols for Gold and Silver, too.
>>
>>26707478
>How do you feel about all the alchemy symbolism in Pokemon Sun/Moon?
Well, the games haven't come out yet, so it's too early for to jump to conclusions and say that it is all about muh alchemy and muh DEEPEST LORE.

>This official image, and the explanation behind the legendaries and alll.
>official
Fucking kek, the theory was cool at first, but alchemy faggots being like this fucking ruined it.
>>
>>26710954
>being so butthurt that you had to come to this thread to shit on the idea, despite the evidence supporting the theory growing day by day

fucking kek my man you're a totally well-adjusted individual.
>>
>>26710633
Not him, but the with them it was just Xerneas and Yveltal before the games were announced. That's it, no one was saying the games plot would be about norse mythology or tried to establish connections between every single Pokemon and norse myths.
>>
>>26710977
>being so butthurt you had to reply to an answer that is just stating a general opinion

fucking kek my man you're a totally well-adjusted individual. :^)
>>
>>26711020
;^)
>>
>>26711005
True, but it's worth noting that this is the first generation where both the Box Legendaries and the starters shared a theme. Every generation prior only had a historical lore shared amongst legendaries, such as Hebrew for the Weather and Regi trios, or Taoism for the Tao trio.
>>
>>26711025
(^;
>>
>>26711043
>but it's worth noting that this is the first generation where both the Box Legendaries and the starters shared a theme.
When this was discovered I was all for the alchemy theory, at least until people started doing bullshit like the image in the OP. Stretching the facts to fit the theory just makes it seem way more out there and less plausible. I think that it lost me with Iwanko's leak and people suddenly saying that it was also part of the starter set because it "fits" with the alchemy theory.
>>
>>26707478
>This official image
This perfectly illustrates how dumb alchemist kids are.
>>
>>26711094
>This perfectly illustrates how dumb alchemist kids are.
Not at all?
>>
>>26711122
no see, the OP mistakenly said official, so apparently we're all retarded by that logic.
>>
>>26711122
It actually does. The image isn't from any official source, yet OP claimed it was official. Rowlett and Popplio, especially Popplio, are drawn to fit the symbols. Also
>Grass = Earth
I just love this. Before Iwanko was revealed alchemykiddies were all like
>Yeah, Rowlett is both wind and earth xdxDXD
And after Iwanko was introduced they just lumped it together with the starters to make it fit the theory.
>>
>>26711122
>>26711136
It's not "proof" if you have to draw it yourself, retard. Besides, a circle is such a common shape that you can fit it into pretty much any pattern you want to make up.

And please explain how a bat fits into this. Why a bat, specifically?
>>
>>26711073
>CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret
>>
File: earth_element.jpg (72 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
earth_element.jpg
72 KB, 450x338
>>26711157
You do realize that the classical earth element includes trees and stuff right? Grass is earth.
>>
>>26711164
I think that the secret is that they can all use the new battle mechanic that will be introduced with the new protagonist's bracelet. Every time corocoro hypes something up that way it turns out to be a letdown, since "hidden secret" is a buzzword used to create hype. Remember Musharna's secret?
>>
>>26711073
Well, it's not stretching the facts. They're merely pointing out potential likenesses between alchemical symbols and the Pokemon, suggesting a connection. From this potential connection we can predict what other Pokemon will debut in this generation, as well as the lore of the region. There's no official statements made about anything other than official videos and the corocoro leak. It's all just fun yet still arbitrary speculation.
>>
>>26711198
It's not fun if you retards are gonna be all "There's absolutely no way it's not gonna be alchemy, guys! Now I'm gonna shitpost about this theory a dozen times a day, and get buttblasted if you disagree!"

It's zodiacfags all over again.
>>
>>26711182
Thing is they completely abandoned that ship as soon as the doggie was leaked.
>>
>>26711222
>fag
Stop using slurs.
>>
>>26711222
Huh. Haven't seen too many people pressing the subject that hard around here. At least, not on the few boards I viewed, anyway.
>>
>>26711249
>Stop using slurs.
Love this time of the year. Shitposting is through the roof. Have you even completed the Pokedex?
>>
>>26711228
Well I don't know who they are or what ship they were on, but it's pretty much an undeniable fact that Pokemon has been using alchemy themes since the 4th gen, like with Azoth and what not.
>>
>>26711303
since the 6th gen I mean
>>
>>26710633
Unfortunately I wasn't around the internet when XY was announced. Heck, I didn't even know about ORAS until earlier this year, two years after the fact.
But if what >>26711005 said is true, I'd say that much is fine; they're legendaries after all. Now, if someone were to go up in arms saying something like "Chespin is Ratatoskr because squirrel"... well, you know, problem.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-12-20-25-51.jpg (210 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-12-20-25-51.jpg
210 KB, 720x1280
I'm gonna leave this here.
>>
Excited to see where they go with it. Why is this board always so damn negative? Can't people just enjoy speculation and hype?
>>
>>26711073
I agree completely about Iwanko. Most people who repeat the lead bullshit probably don't realize that the main basis for the original three was that Sulfer, Salt, and Mercury are a symbolic trinity in alchemy. Throwing lead in there is a stretch.
>>
>>26711847
I enjoy speculation, but not when it falls down to straight up circlejerking territory. As I said before, I was all about the alchemy theory until a lot people started acting like it was the absolute truth and started stretching and twisting everything around. Take what >>26712144 said for example, people just take the parts that are convenient for them.
>>
>>26712144
Alright, I'll give you that. But still, they did say that the three starters AND Iwanko for some reason were all part of a secret. Whether that means they all of Synchro evolution or something else still remains to be seen. I'm not gonna start with any more speculation, but it still seems odd to group a supposed rattata/lillipup expy with the three starters. That alone is enough to start stuff, as this thread and many others can illustrate.
>>
>>26713287
I can't wait for it to be the new mechanic and all the alchemyfags run to hide under the nearest rock. Almost as good as the anti fairy fags back in 2013.
>>
File: 1465494685450.gif (2 MB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
1465494685450.gif
2 MB, 500x246
>>26707478
>This official image

Fuck off, faggot. Stop shilling your retarded fan theory here.
>>
File: sun and moon symbols.png (817 KB, 1360x940) Image search: [Google]
sun and moon symbols.png
817 KB, 1360x940
>>
File: sun and moon alchemy.png (2 MB, 2679x1790) Image search: [Google]
sun and moon alchemy.png
2 MB, 2679x1790
>>26713373
>>
>>26713373
>>26713383
Whether the connections to alchemy are legit or not, all this stuff is pretty cool to research.
>>
>>26713469
This. I don't think it will be more than design references, since Pokemon is a children game, and considering how people at GF have stated that they believe the current market isn't one that would stick to a hard game, I don't think the story will contain anything special regarding alchemy.
>>
>>26713486
Really? Where did GF say that?
>>
>>26713373
HGSS confirmed
>>
>>26713500
I've seen it posted a few times before here, but GF has said that they believe they're main demographic (children) is not the same as it was 20 years ago. Kids this days are basically born playing mobile games, so they're used to more compact "gaming" experiences, hence making them having to adjust some details about the game to try and fit what they believe will draw in their main target audience.
>>
>>26713524
>they're
Fuck me, meant their.
>>
It's going to be so annoying to have to put up with you alchemy idiots until you come up with some new dumb thing to try to shove in our faces all the time.
>>
>>26713486
I disagree. If anything the AZOTH stuff implies the opposite. A vague, actually complicated storyline running through the backgrounds of multiple games.

It's obviously not in the forefront and the games would never be advertised with having a story with complex elements and concepts like alchemy in it, but it's still there.

Not to mention legendaries commonly have some sort of mythological influence. Just look at the Hoenn trio. They're based off of Ziz, Behemoth, and Leviathan.
>>
>>26713524
That's sad. But what with all the professional tourneys, you'd think GF would see that the demographic includes both kids and the adults who grew up playing the first games.
>>
>>26710443
He's honestly the cutest fucking thing I've ever come across, well him and fire kitten. They make me wanna pull my hair out.
>>
>>26713560
Yeah, it sucks. It would be cool to see how the whole player base is divided by age, so we can see how many children are actually playing the games and how many players are actually people on their twenties or older playing.
>>
File: 1465349585391.gif (1 MB, 630x517) Image search: [Google]
1465349585391.gif
1 MB, 630x517
Alchemy has been ramping up in pokemon since ORAS when project AZOTH was mentioned, as well as the hermetic green dragon's ascension. Can't wait to see where this goes 2bh
>>
>>26713587
Cool as that may be, they'd have to deal with the elitist, iv-breeding competitive scene. It doesn't help that more and more levels are added to the constantly evolving meta every single generation.
and yes, puns intended.
>>
>>26710821
I don't see it.
>>
File: 1465185333443.png (983 KB, 1619x1222) Image search: [Google]
1465185333443.png
983 KB, 1619x1222
>>26713500
I had to go digging, but. There's another screen of this I'll go looking for.
>>
File: 1465185547215.jpg (78 KB, 1393x321) Image search: [Google]
1465185547215.jpg
78 KB, 1393x321
>>26713500
>>26713896
Here it is.
This is why even though I want to be hopeful about the new games, I'm struggling with it.
>>
File: Swampstanza.png (7 KB, 192x274) Image search: [Google]
Swampstanza.png
7 KB, 192x274
>>26711812

>Paracelsus

One of of Magearna movie characters is named Racel.
Another is Chymia.
Another is Ether.
Magearna's creator is named Eliphas, literally the name of a French occultist who wrote the book that infamous Baphomet image comes from.

HOW FUCKING DENSE CAN ANTI-ALCHEMYFAGS GET?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.