[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was wrong about Pokemon GO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 298x169
I thought it was gonna be trash. But playing the beta is so much fub. Based Masada is the best. This will be a massive hit with casuals. Pokemon will never be irrelevant
>>
>>26702977>>26702977
What area of the states you in? How do you get pokéballs? What pokémon are locked to your area? Do they spawn in random areas?
>>
>>26702977
I'm just so happy that they updated it and there's more individuality to the Pokemon.
There's hope for Go.
>>
>>26703040
So do you find pokemon based on the local geography/habitat around where you live? Or is it random?
>>
>>26703339
Not OP but I got into the Android beta

Pokemon are largely random, but I haven't encountered fish on dry land, that kind of thing.

When you encounter a Pokemon (which appear at a certain distance from you, which you can the just tap on the Pokemon to engage it assuming you are close enough) there is a targeting reticule with a shrinking circle. You drag the pokeball to throw it, releasing your finger inside the shrinking circle. The smaller the circle, the more likely the capture and if you miss the circle the ball misses.

You buy pokeballs (cheap, 100 for <500 coin) and the game practically throws money at you in 2500 coin sums for doing stuff like holding a gym for 24hours, etc.

It's exclusively the orginal 150 although idk how it handles legendaries. Also eeveelutions show up at random, I've seen a flareon.
Feel free to ask Q's, I'll answer when I remember to check this thread.
>>
>>26703339
They said that it's biome related and some Pokémon are exclusive to certain countries.
Trading will not be at launch but will be implemented. However, there will be no real time pvp sadly enough. I hope there's a way you could atleast battle your friends Pokemon. Even if you deploy up to 6 of your Pokemon against an AI of six of your opponent's deployed Pokemon.
That could atleast put a fake pvp experience in besides gyms.
>>
>>26703417
Did the update with stardust, candies and nicknaming roll in or was that a ruse?
>>
>>26702977
>fub
>>
File: 1464080148260.jpg (3 KB, 125x114) Image search: [Google]
1464080148260.jpg
3 KB, 125x114
>>26703429
>tfw no pvp
>>
>>26703442
I haven't received any updates but the beta came with candies and stardust. I don't think I can do any nicknaming
>>
does it work in the woods or does it have to be a mapped area with roads
>>
>>26703442
Disregard, I just never noticed the nickname option.
>>
>>26703461
So you can deposit your Pokemon to the Prof rather than releasing to get stardust, correct? And stardust does actually "level up" your Pokemon?
Apparently nicknaming got in too. Could you test it out?
>>
File: 1465235158821.png (184 KB, 357x262) Image search: [Google]
1465235158821.png
184 KB, 357x262
>>26703474
Sweet. Enjoy your nicknaming. Can your sort your mons by favourite? Does it favourite a whole species ie if you fav a Bulbasaur, all Bulbasaur are favourited or is it individual?
Also how do gyms work? It's still confusing.
>>
>>26703462
I think as long as you have data range.
>>
>>26703500
>>26703488

You get a single candy and some dust by capturing a Pokemon, and the candy corresponds to the Pokemon captured (ie zubat candy etc). One candy + stardust is a power up, lots of candy at once (possibly over time? Haven't gotten enough candies yet) evolves the Pokemon.

Gyms are just basically bases you capture for your team (red blue or yellow) and hold with a single Pokemon. Rival teams can attack and lower prestige repeatedly, once prestige hits zero the leader is kicked out and you can take over it. Gym leader gets one Pokemon, you get 6, no PVP.

No idea about depositing with the professor. Will investigate.
>>
>>26703500
Oh and re sorting you can do by type, ABC etc, and you can also star favorites and sort them that way.

Sorry for the janky replies, I'm on mobile right now.
>>
File: Pokémon.full.296351.jpg (74 KB, 681x556) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.296351.jpg
74 KB, 681x556
Does anyone know if I'm supposed to be throwing the ball when the yellow circle is big or small?
>>
OK, found the depositing option. You lose the Pokemon but gain a corresponding candy. Neato
>>
It's biggest flaw is being 151-only. I keep on hoping that this is only during the beta testing period, but the more time goes on the more I'm convinced that it's going to stay this way to appeal to retard 25-30 year olds who watched the anime as a kid and dropped the series prior to generation 3 when they went through their edgy 'too old for Pokemon stage'

I'm probably as much of a Kanto-cuck as they come, I'd happily eat up another Kanto remake, I think Kanto is easily one of the better regions, I love all it's Pokemon designs, music and atmosphere... but even I know a bad idea when I see one.
>>
>>26703570
It's better to get it when it's smaller. Make sure you're releasing your finger in the circle itself
>>
>>26703542
>>26703557
It's cool, I'm just content with getting answers that I'm searching for. Appreciate the responses, anon.
The Prof depositing apparently replaces releasing.
Does the favouriting the Pokemon sort it by species or individual?
>>
>>26703570
Small
>>
>>26703588
They said they plan on updating with more regions as it goes. Hopefully it will be free updates as the store already seems like a cash black hole.
I'm just so fucking glad that they listened to the complaints and criticisms.
>>
>>26703593
No problem. Favorites sorts by the individual Pokemon, figured out the prof in an above post.

Also for what it's worth, I love it. It's very very clearly a beta, but the framework for an fun ass game is all there.
>>
>>26703542
You have to choose the the evolve button (all at once) to evolve. Feeding it the candy+stardust one by one only powers up. The good thing is that the CP and HP benefits you get from powering up an unevolved Pokemon will carry over to the evolved form so it's not a complete waste.
>>26703592
>>26703611
Thank you
>>
File: 1461918546367.gif (1 MB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
1461918546367.gif
1 MB, 392x400
>>26703581
Fantastic
>>
>>26703641
Makes sense
>>
>>26703632
Awesome. So you can "make a team"
Pokemon Go had a rough, shaky start but these updates really bring it to life. I'm jelly that I didn't get the beta.
>>
Just so you guys know PokeStops allow you to "spin" them again for items every 5 minutes or so. If you don't close the app, the PokeStop will eventually turn blue again.
Using Incense while standing still brings a pokemon to you every 5 minutes. Not sure if this changes by walking around.
Putting a Lure Patch in a PokeStop brings a pokemon to you every 2.5 to 5 minutes, from what I could tell. The benefit is that if you're with a friend then you both can catch whatever pokemon shows up.
>>
Also, how the hell do I heal? Took on a gym today and I've got some fainted zubat and a ponyta, do they heal on their own or after x steps or something? Can't buy any potions in the shop either.
>>
About the lack of pvp, does anyone think that adding an ai pvp system like gyms but called something like "Battlespots" where you place up to 6 mons in it and others can challenge them? Or are Gyms sufficient enough for friends to be able to battle each other?
>>
>>26703730
Gyms would be sufficient IF the gym leader can have more than one Pokemon. As it is it's a 1v6 affair. There's gyms everywhere, most parks and major shopping centers seem to have one or two.

IMO there will be PVP but it's not coming until well after the beta is finished.
>>
>>26703714
Also, it took me a while to notice this but the CP potential of the pokemon you catch is that arch behind the pokemon when you look at it in the menu.

When you "encounter" a pokemon and the CP is ??? then it's a pokemon with a higher than average CP.

>>26703728
Buy potions or pick up revives/max revives/potions at PokeStops. Why can't you buy potions?
>>
>>26703714
So do the Pokémon show up real time for everyone or if a Vulpix shows up in one players game, it doesn't on another player's game?
>>
I went out today to fuck around on it
I found a lot of the same pokemon in my town
The "rare" ones I found today were
>scyther and dodrio in the same shopping center
>jynx in a different
>machamp just near some houses
>>
>>26703762
Same pokemon shows up for everyone and everyone can catch it. I don't know if the moves/CP is the same, but the species is.
>>
>>26703755
Haven't spent enough time at stops to get healing items I guess, and the shop gives me no healing items.
>>
>>26703771
My bad. I just checked and my shop doesn't have healing items either. You only get them from PokeStops.
>>
>>26703749
Niantic said in an interview that there will be no realtime pvp which is why I'm trying to hypothetically design a way for people to "battle" eachother, even if it's ai.
No battling besides gyms will be disappointing.
>>
>>26703766
>machamp near some houses
Sounds creepy
>>
A question for anybody who has the current version of the beta, does it still discard a Pokemon if you catch a stronger one of it? I think that was the case for the previous version. Basically, is there an actual way to train the Pokemon you catch?
>>
>>26703872
No, you keep everything you catch unless your box is full or you release it to the professor yourself. You train Pokemon by feeding it its species candy+stardust to power up its CP and HP.
>>
>>26703872
Androidfag here
It doesn't discard a pokemon if you catch a stronger one, but if you transfer it (release it), you can get an extra candy for that specific evolution line which can further your training of the individual of your choice. In other words, the way to train your pokemon is to catch more of the same pokemon or of those in the same evolution chain
>>
>>26703872
Nope. You keep everything and only lose it if you deposit it with the professor.

Also for what it's worth, the starting storage amount is 500 Pokemon, which seems like an awful lot for 151 total Pokemon...
>>
>>26703887
>>26703892
Bit of a shame that you can't train it through battles, but that's better than just automatically swapping them as I believed. Slightly more interested in this now. Thank you.
>>
Are spawn rates high enough that Pokemon won't be scarce during release? Is it possible to "spawn camp" for rare Pokemon?
>>
File: 1450507078326.gif (387 KB, 401x325) Image search: [Google]
1450507078326.gif
387 KB, 401x325
>>26703957
Agreed. I was sorely disappointed before. Now it's looking more hype.
>>
>>26703964
Spawns appear to be random so nothing indicates that pokemon spawn in the same places.
I seems to be more efficient to just walk around and hope you run into them.
There is a list of nearby pokemon at the bottom of your screen and it says how many meters away each is but it doesn't tell you direction.
Spawn rates seem to be normal and I believe that a pokemon that appears on the map can be caught by all players, not just the first one to do so.
>>
>>26703964
eh standing still really isn't a good tactic for this game. Hasn't worked for me.
>>
So,how many mons have you caught lads?
>>
>>26704072
About 70 here
when I'm not outside I use incenses
>>
>>26704072
244 so far
>>
>>26704200
57 pokedex-wise
>>
>>26704024
>>26704013
Good. Makes things a little more fair.
>>
>>26704196
>>26704207
they made it sound like some pokemon might be impossible to get unless you travel or trade,is it true?
>>
>>26704270
Not in this demo. Right now its only the original 151 and I don't think region specifics is in place yet, however there is slight indication that biome specifics is in the current version.
>>
I don't know shit about how Go is rolling out but I was extremely sour that I didn't get a beta invite when I am friends with one of the developers. He tries not to talk about it to me cause he never really liked Pokemon and is never sure if something he says would be common knowledge to have in Pokemon or is exclusive to Go.

I have tried to ask him if later generations would ever happen but he never elaborates because he values his job like a sane person.

Just really salty that I can't get in when Hawaii would be a Great place to test gyms considering how big ingress is here or whatever it's called.
>>
>>26704311
That sucks anon. But it apparently is getting released sometime between June and September so there's that.
>>
Is it true all the pokemon you catch in the beta can't be transferred to the real version? I don't think I'll get into the real version then.
>>
Anyone else get the pink mist thing when trying to catch pokemon? Sometimes when I'm throwing balls it surrounds the pokemon and blocks all attempts to catch it. Missed out on a Ninetails because of it.
>>
>>26704470
It would make sense if it is true because otherwise, a semi-randomly selected group of players would have a huge advantage over other players when it comes to competing for gyms.
>>
>>26704530
I got this effect a few times. Absolutely no idea what causes it. Kinda pissed me off because I thought maybe you had to throw the ball when there was an opening in the mist but that wasnt the case.
>>
>>26704311
I used to be the highest scoring player in Hawaii for Ingress. Everyone in know who is still active didn't get an invite.

I don't think Hawaii was included for the NA beta because we're not physically part of North America.
>>
>>26704579
Being an Ingress player doesn't affect whether you get an invite or not. But yeah it sounds like you guys were excluded.
>>
Will there be shinies?
>>
How do you evolve an Eevee?
>>
>>26703588
I wouldnt be upset if they stopped at 251
>>
>>26704579
The NA beta seems to be almost exclusively based off of location. If you aren't in the specific locations they looked for (the west coast) there's no way you'd get in. I don't know a single person in my state who got in regardless of Ingress levels.

>>26703588
It is practically guaranteed at this point that more pokemon will be added. There's an achievement or something for catching 10 dark pokemon, but gen1 obviously has no dark types.
>>
>>26703323
>There's hope for Go.
>mobiletrash

There never was hope.
>>
>>26704530
That's the "buy more pokeballs for $0.49 each" attack
>>
>Evolve Haunter to Gengar
>20 candies
>Evolve Graveler to Golem
>380 candies

For what purpose?
>>
Anyone else get the pink mist thing when trying to catch pokemon? Sometimes when I'm throwing balls it surrounds the pokemon and blocks all attempts to catch it. Missed out on a Ninetails because of it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>26705361
Pokeballs are 100 for <500 coin. Coin is distributed liberally, hold a gym for 24hrs, get 2500 gold.

Assuming they don't completely alter things, this is a very good way to keep people progressing without paying, with pay being a shortcut.
>>
File: 1465556533968.png (87 KB, 390x352) Image search: [Google]
1465556533968.png
87 KB, 390x352
>>26705623
>>
Hey guys, beta tester here. Try spinning the ball in a circle for a little before you throw it. You'll know you're doing it right when you see sparkles.

Literally just discovered this, no idea if it's common knowledge or not.
>>
>>
>>26702977
So wait, question. Before, I heard that you captured multiples of a Pokemon - say, 20 Zubats - and did something or another with them to get yourself a Golbat. Was I rused? Is it possible for your bro to stay with you, even as he evolves, without being mixed with a hundred other examples of his kind? Because if so, I may be able to forgive the lack of PVP, albeit barely.
>>
What are the chances of me getting the beta?
>>
>>26705367
Gengar is more popular
>>
>>26705905
You can, as of now, nickname pokemon and mark them as a favorite.
>>
>waste data downloading apk of the game off some site
>it starts and everything
>its just a picture of a gyarados saying sign out

t-thanks
>>
>>26705905
Just give him a nickname
>>
>>26705997
Yes, but if I give him a nickname, do I still have to mix him in with 50 others to evolve him? Do I just have to catch them, harvest the candy (which is a really shitty name and mechanic desu), and use that to evolve?

Seriously though, they missed about half the series' strong points. No non-automated battling? "Gyms" are a capture the flag game? Seriously, it would've been easy to add in a few characteristic moves of each type, plus a few bonus moves - create a TM for each type with a weaker move that could be given to a compatible Pokemon, plus maybe a "boost" move or two? There'd be a bit more than typing rock-paper-scissors, but they still wouldn't have to program the entire system in.
>>
>>26706045
You can train at gyms and you aren't "mixing", you can just harvest the candies. Also, typing still matters in battling. It actually seems like a pretty decent battle system, for a phone game at least

Lack of PVP is probably the biggest issue outside of the lack of gen 2 and upwards
>>
>>26706075
>training
Wait, what? What does training involve?
>typing still matters
It's literally just rock-paper-scissors. Can I give my Dragonite Flamethrower to beat Ice-types?
>>
>>26706111
training is battling at a friendly gym, which raises CP and I believe makes it possible to get candies as well

Dunno about giving dragonite flamethrower persay, but every pokemon has a weak and (based on how the battle UI looks) up to four "strong" attacks, which need to be charged up during the battle. All of those moves have typing, and its pretty varied.

I believe there are up to four strong attacks because there is a bar made up of four pips, each of which needs to be filled up, and strong attacks vary between one and four pips, but so far none of my pokemon have beyond two attacks.

Example: Jigglypuff comes with feint attack (weak) and body slam. Poliwag has mud shot and bubble beam, etc. Presumably there will be a way to teach a dragonite flamethrower. While there is no TM learning (or from what I've discovered, level up learning) yet, it seems like the system is far from incomplete.
>>
>>26706172
Shit, really? I was expecting it to be "Generic mobile game 110914 WITH A POKEMON SKIN!" but I'm glad it's not. Might actually go for it now. Still wish we could get PVP going, but who knows - maybe if they hear enough noise about it, we could actually get it.
>>
>>26706111
also, battling involves dodging and a bit of strategy. You've gotta know when to dodge, when to attack and when to do nothing charge up strong attacks more quickly
>>
>>26705652

I have no idea why it posted that so many times.
>>
>>26706220
gotta be 100% honest, its not perfect but it feels like (the framework for) a perfectly valid reinterpretation of the battle system. Instead of turns, they're charging up for stronger attacks and peppering each other with weaker attacks.

If they bring in the full movesets available to pokemon in the main games and introduce TMs/move tutors then we might have something really really good on our hands
>>
>>26705947

But a 300 difference seems excessive
>>
>>26702977
how can I play?
do you actually battle? can you battle other people online?
what about evolving?
>>
>>26706297
read the thread before you post
>>
just signed up how hard is it to get into beta.
>>
When does the actual game come out?
>>
How long does a Pokemon stay in one area? Until you catch it? For 24 hours? If you restart the game? Or is there just a set time they're available?
>>
>>26706220
You can grow your favourite Pokemon with candies you get from catching and releasing Pokemon. You can also get stardust to increase your Pokemon's CP. They have really personalized it now. There's still no pvp but there's hope considering you can team up with a friend at Gyms apparently.
>>
>>26706358
Said around June til September. Not 100% but that's the estimated time frame.

>>26706968
No idea.
>>
>>26703570
Far as I've noticed the ball will hit them at a certain size depending on where it hits, if it hits the circle you get a bonus.
>>
Hey speaking of absolutely terrible phone games.
Why does Comaster have such a shitty rating on app stores?
>>
>>26704013
I've actually noticed there are actually fixed spawn points. The one that spawns is not fixed, but they use the exact same locations.
>>
>>26705905
You don't combine it with others. Each capture gets you a species specific candy you can use x# of to evolve, losing no pokemon.
>>
Here's a question I haven't played enough to work out on my own.
At max level, are all examples of a species at least of a similar power level? The idea of catching a legendary or rare that is just objectively worse and "fuck you no changing it" really bothers me.
>>
>>26706968
Beta tester here. They only really stays for a small amount of time. I think the longest I've seen one without trying to capture one was a couple of minutes.

You can get a lot of items from pokestops. Great balls, ultra balls, revives, hyper/super/etc potions, berries are some of the items I've gotten.

Pokemon types seem to be what you would expect. Open residential areas get pokemon like weedles, caterpies, ekans, etc.
But I did find a random Starmie in the middle of a field.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.