[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Lunala based on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
What is Lunala based on?
>>
>>26680837
A bat and the moon.

Did this really need its own thread?
>>
>>26680837
The clouds
>>
>>26680837
Wasn't this already explained in other threads several times already? Check it out OP
>>
The moon is clouds
>>
A kite
>>
File: Iconian_Star_Trek_Online.png (454 KB, 502x675) Image search: [Google]
Iconian_Star_Trek_Online.png
454 KB, 502x675
>>26680837
>What is Lunala based on?

Iconians, duh.

https://youtu.be/6ehbTxwHjqM?t=200
>>
>>26680837
Let's see..."Beast that Calls the Moon", gathers energy, Solgaleo is the "Beast that Eats the Sun". Alchemic theories could be right.

Alternately, it could be, as emissary of the Moon, that both of the legendaries cause an Eclipse or are manifestations of the two different types-Solgaleo, who Eats the Sun, being a Solar Eclipse, Lunaala a Lunar Eclipse-Calling out to find the Moon. Also seems to be based on energy absorption to some extent, or redirection. Though this is more just me trying to think of what else it could be rather than stuff other people have mentioned, given info dropped by Game Freak on the two. Nothing says leggies are just one single thing after all.
>>
>>26680837
>/vp/ understanding design concepts

The box legends are blatantly representing the opposing forces of day/night and there is an over-arching alchemical thing going on, as unfortunate as it is to admit.
Additionally, their designs also draw from island mythology - most easily comparable is Balinese mythology.
And the specific, base designs come from ancient amulets (lunulas and bullas) that were worn by children (boys and girls, respectively) to protect them from evil spirits...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunula_(amulet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulla_(amulet)

Which were also found in Ireland. There might be some Norse tie-ins as well, but the designs are fairly obviously summed up by the aforementioned.
>>
A satellite or a dream catcher
>>
>>26680837
Grim reaper
>>
my dick
>>
>>26680837
Its based off the Sun and an armadillo
>>
>>26680918
>Lunala is the last of its kind because you travel back in time and kill the rest with the ultimate weapon 3000 years ago.
>>
Dream Catcher
>>
The lovechild of Antasma, Mega Salamence, Olympia, and Princess Luna.
>>
>>26681866
Got it backwards, boys wore the bulla, girls had the lunula.

I think the stretch to anything Nordic is a bit much since bullae and lunulae are a Roman thing (the ones you mention from Ireland are only the same thing in name, we have no idea if they served the same purposes as those from Rome).

Still, interesting connection.
>>
>>26681921
this.

and the obvious bat/moon.
>>
Does Lunala have more emphasis on the "Lu" or "na?"
>>
>>26682784
Wrote them in the wrong order, yeah. I included the Irish bit because Lunala is shaped like the Irish lunulas and I'm Irish
>>
File: 1327549848146.png (108 KB, 253x253) Image search: [Google]
1327549848146.png
108 KB, 253x253
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
>>
>>26682885
I believe it's lu-NAA-la.
>>
>>26682885
the na
>>
File: lunula.jpg (16 KB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
lunula.jpg
16 KB, 300x262
>>26680837
Literally a golden lunula from bronze age Ireland.
>>
It might be based on the Rebis, or Hermaphrodite, from alchemy, like how Solgaleo is the sun-eating lion tha purifies metals. Some depictions of the Rebis give it bat wings, and some have it standing on a crescent, much like how Lunala's "tail" is a crescent.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.