[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alchemy Theme in Sun and Moon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
I can't help but see Alchemic symbols everywhere in these recent updates and it caused me to do some digging.

Project Azoth (Mentioned in ORAS) turns out to be an actual Alchemic and Astrological term. The latest movie takes place in the Azoth kingdom.

Litten's face, the stripes and his eyes make the Sulfur symbol in Alchemy.

Rowlet, being a sphere with a Green Bowtie Line through the center mimics the Alchemic symbol for Salt.

And though this is a stretch, Popplio slightly resembles the symbol for Mercury.

In addition to this, the Alchemic image for the purification of metal is a Lion eating the sun...Solgaleo is known as the beast that devours the sun and is Psychic/Steel.

Thoughts?
>>
It's pretty obvious at this point.
Sun and Moon being planned from the start? Check here
Zygarde having ties to the sun and the moon? Check there
Everything coming together with Azoth and Azoth Kingdom? Well, yeah.
>>
>>26668709
Alchemy Concept in Pokémon would interesting.
>>
im glad you saw the GameXplain video too
>>
>>26668915
Actually I saw that after this. What really set me off was Gnoggin's video about Solgaleo's typing. Plus being an Avid Binding of Issac player, I'm familiar with the Sulfur symbol and recognized it instantly when Litten first showed up.
>>
Anything on Lunala? Tried googling alchemy bat but all I get is tutorials on some game called little alchemy.
>>
>>26668709
Go away gamexplain
>>
>>26668709
Make it happen, I don't care as long as the games are good.
>>
>>26668946
Yeah okay you watched the gamexplain video, buddy.
>>
File: 1458161893697.png (206 KB, 703x554) Image search: [Google]
1458161893697.png
206 KB, 703x554
Why does he eat the fucking sun in the first place.
>>
>>26669253
So they can have a reason to not make him fire type I guess?
>>
>>26669253
The pussy's too hot.
>>
>>26669253
These old time alchemy images were used to illustrate a chemical process, as to over come language barriers.

The sun represents gold, so this image of a lion eating the sun is meant to refer to a compound (probably mercury or sulfuric acid) that dissolves gold
>>
>starter alchemy symbolism
Yes
Better that goofy circus shit
>>
Pokemon Shuffle also added an "Alchemist" skill, although no Pokémon is able to learn it yet.
>>
>>26668946
>Rowlet is salt because of green bowtie
>Popplio is a stretch for mercury

Yes, you came up with it all on your own before gamexplain posted this, but also made a thread after they posted this.
>>
This seems to be accurate so far but I haven't found anything about what lunaala can be based on
>>
>>26668709
Can someone post some pictures of the starters and how there alchemy symbols relate? I'm having a hard time believing this.
>>
>>26669568
only tacospeakers
es.pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Solgaleo
es.pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Lunala
>>
>>26669627
Litten
>>
File: Lunaala.jpg (208 KB, 2981x1787) Image search: [Google]
Lunaala.jpg
208 KB, 2981x1787
I just found the Alchemic symbol for Earth in a screenshot It's right above Lunaala's head.
>>
>>26669658
Or you know..Have Chrome and click the little translate button in the url button.
>>
>>26668959
>>26669568
I really don't know much of anything on alchemy but from what I gather Lunala actually symbolizes wings itself, wings being used in alchemy to symbolize the souls journey to the afterlife or spiritual world. That would explain the Ghost typing, the third eye explaining the Psychic typing since third eyes typically symbolize a way to see through a cosmic perspective.
>>
>>26668709
Alchemy has been a theme in Pokemon since X&Y came out.
>>
>>26671196
Correction here but Lunala could actually represent birds themselves, not wings. I was mistaken and birds in general actually symbolize the journey to the spirit world: http://www.crystalinks.com/birdsalchemy.html
>>
Solgaleo and Lunala are based off the Balinese myths Barong and Rangda.

Barong is the white-haired lion of light, whose fur is adorned with precious stones and gilded mirrors to reflect the sun's rays against his enemies.
He fights Rangda, the witch queen of the demons, who take the form of flying vampires missing their lower extremities who come at night to steal men's lives.

Then there's Batara Kala the god of the underworld, an ogre that causes eclipses by trying to eat the sun or the moon.
>>
>>26671399
>things cannot be based on multiple mythologies
Zygarde and Mega Rayquaza say hi
>>
File: lunula.jpg (16 KB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
lunula.jpg
16 KB, 300x262
>>26668959
Just posted this in another thread, hope it helps you figure it out.
>>
File: solgaleo forehead.gif (2 MB, 540x322) Image search: [Google]
solgaleo forehead.gif
2 MB, 540x322
>>26668709
Solgaleo LITERALLY has the Alchemical symbol for the sun and for gold right there on his forehead.

Similarly, Lunala's head is a crescent, which is the Alchemical symbol for both the moon and silver.
>>
>>26674436
A gold lunula, a type of ornament produced in the Bronze Age British Isles, especially Ireland. This example was found in Blessington, eastern Ireland.
>>
>>26674522
Lunala is an Irish lass, to be sure to be sure.
>>
>>26674520
>gold
>silver
>SM mirrors GS
>>
>>26668709
Search for Project AZ oth on the archives, we've had threads like this one for some time.

tl;dr
The Kingdom of Azoth is the key to all of this
>>
>>26674565
>mfw it'll be amazing and Masuda's last game
>>
>>26674629
Please undedon't
>>
>>26671410
I know that Rayquaza is based on a Chinese dragon as well as very loosely a Judaic entity but I'm pretty sure Zygarde is only based around four deities from Norse mythology, Nidhogg, Jormungandr, Fenrir, and Hel.
>>
>>26674870
Rayquaza is based on an Aztec god... And also a Judaism thing.
>>
>>26671236
Explain?
>>
>>26674870
Mega Rayquaza is based on a Chinese dragon, yes. Else, see >>26674888
Zygarde 50% is both Jörmungandr and Nidhogg at the same time, despite them being quite different beings in Norse mythology.
So as I said, S/M's legends can also be based on multiple things, such as the chariot drivers of the moon and sun which Fenrir's children hunt after.
>>
>>26674935
Do you not know this?
Look up 'quetzalcoatl'. Dragon Azteca Jr in Lucha Underground is also sort of based on him, if you like rasslin'.

It's also good to remember that most of the world religions are born from each other,s o characters overlap. So, if you take the Pokemon from mythology you're going to see them pop up in a few different stories. Like, the Balinese myths mentioned above are born from Hinduism and Lunala's alleged inspiration from that theory is based on Kali and/or Durga (who are closely related anyway).

It's most important to look at the typing, design details and the names of the Pokemon and just pick out what the inspirations are, if you want to understand the specific design elements. But as far as their in game symbolism goes, knowledge of any of that is unnecessary.
They're probably just supposed to be represent opposing forces - day/night - native culture/foreign culture. Since globalisation is a big thing and displacement of smaller cultures is a big talking point and Japan's population is getting less and less Japanese (albeit marginally) day by day, so it's a fairly topical story theme. The rest of it will fall in analogically, I'd guess.

I worded that really awkwardly, sorry.
>>
I have to admit, this might be the dumbest theory you've ever come up with, /vp/. Bravo.
>>
>>26675080
>Dragon Azteca Jr in Lucha Underground is also sort of based on him, if you like rasslin'.

This is the last thing I expected to be posted on /vp/ today, i love you
>>
File: me on the left.jpg (145 KB, 620x312) Image search: [Google]
me on the left.jpg
145 KB, 620x312
>>26675135
Someone has to spread the word of the glorious watermelon man here.. And it was a cooler aside than mentioning FF8.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.