[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Gen 6 really easier or is it just nostalgia since you were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 24
File: 1418153277894.jpg (95 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1418153277894.jpg
95 KB, 480x480
Was Gen 6 really easier or is it just nostalgia since you were stupider as a kid? Why or why not?
>>
>>26666137
It got more options to make the game easier.

It wasnt really easier per se. In fact the movesets for pokemon were a lot better and wiser than in the first few generations.
>>
It was easier, they gave you the EXP.All and neutered the Gym Leaders and Elite 4.
>>
>>26666137
it's not nostalgia when you can play any other game in the series right now and compare it to gen 6
>>
Did mega stones, exp share that gives me 300% exp, gyms with only 3 pokemon at most, and free lati@s exist when I was kid? No? Then no.
>>
Practically no one you fought had a full team.
>>
>>26666182
>they gave you the EXP.All
which you can turn off, its not mandatory, this is your easy/hard mode
>>
>>26666201
Tell me all the trainers from previous gens who had full teams, do it
>>
>>26666202
>this is your easy/hard mode

No it's not. That's like saying nuzlocke is your easy/hard mode. Either way it's an arbitrary fan made up thing that the game NEVER states it's a difficulty mode. The only official hard mode is challenge mode in BW2.
>>
>>26666213
But you have brain and you see what the exp share does to your team? is it really that hard to understand?
>>
>>26666137

Yeah and All Pokémon games are easy.
>>
>>26666225
>But you have brain and you see what the exp share does to your team?

No because my brain doesn't let me see into the future. How can I tell if the game is going to be balanced around it or not? Especially when none of the prior games were even close to as broken?

Your argument falls apart as soon as you have to mention "you can just turn it off," because the older games HAD NOTHING TO TURN OFF to begin with. Obviously the difficulty will be the same if you arbitrarily shoot yourself in the foot until it's the same.
>>
>>26666137
Every Pokemon game can be made easy, but I think Gen 6 made it harder to challenge yourself in fun ways. Going through RB on virtual console showed me that, when you don't do anything overboard like stocking yourself with healing and grinding out the ass, the game puts up a decent fight even for an adult. It's easy, but it isn't boring. People make fun of Blue's shitty movepools, but his Pokemon are up to 20 levels higher than you when you get there without much grinding, so it's actually not that bad.

It certainly can't be nostalgia, given that I was already a young man when Platinum was out, I even played recently, and again it's an engaging challenge.

If you want to have gen 6 challenge you, you have to cripple yourself. I don't think I would have liked that as a kid, but most kids these days are mobile shitters, so maybe they like those constant compliments everyone in the game is doling out to you.

I really hate that every gym leader has only three Pokemon, the Elite Four not getting stronger as you progress, and said Elite Four having four Pokemon, none of them seem to try to counter what you might have.

We desperately need a hard mode. I get that Pokemon is for kids, and should be accessible, but some series can benefit from growing with their audiences. There were no adults playing Pokemon when it came out, now there are, in fact they actually make up a pretty significant portion of the player base if I look at those Gen 5 sales figures.
>>
I did a little challenge run of a few games to see if XY really were easier or not. No xp from wild pokemon allowed, so my levels were as low as reasonably possible. Did Emerald, Soulsilver and Leafgreen so far. Also, no x-items since you can win everything with them anyway.

The answer is yes, XY really is fucking easier. Plenty of things in Emerald gave me trouble and forced me to come up with strats that exploited enemy AI. Biggest challenges were Winona, Juan and Wallace.

Leafgreen was much easier, mainly due to there being more trainers, but also because of lack of enemy pokemon diversity. Only Lance gave trouble. Pic related LG team just before champion rival. Not enough trainers in-game to level a 6th member because of how much xp Dragonite sucked up.

Emerald and Soulsilver teams are in another thread. If people still think gen 6 isn't easier I'm going to do a nonxp share run of XY under the same restrictions.
>>
They factually are easier. Even Game Freak has gone on record saying so. The only people who deny it are the most hardcore of apologist dick suckers.

>b-but the levels are increased later in the game!
Yeah those 2 extra levels are REALLY going to help against your free mega lati@s (that you had to hunt down and catch post-game yourself in the originals) and the exp share that has overleveled your pokemon by 5+ levels at that point in the game.
>>
>>26666241
And you call yourself and experienced Pokemon trainer and yet didnt see that your team is getting overleveled (you could easily noticed it by second badge)? Not to mention way beofre the games were even out the fandom already was talking about how broken the exp share is because of reviews and leakers

Come on, that sounds like a joke. You have no one other to blame tha yourself
>>
>>26666176

Emerald team:
>>26657073

Soulsilver team:
>>26656503

Soulsilver was the hardest, mainly due to fucked level curve and optional areas lacking trainers.

>>26666272
A few levels are negligible. Platinum actually had slightly lower levels than DPPt, but no one argues that PT was easier. Enemy AI and movesets make a difference. I'd argue that ORAS aren't much easier than the originals, handholding and free legend aside, and most of the complaining comes from how good Emerald was.
>>
>>26666137
I TRIED to make X/Y harder by limiting myself to Chespin, avoiding all non-mandatory battles and playing a custom challenge.

Guess what.
At least, first gym was a breeze.
>>
>>26666258
Wait so you didnt do XY with the same rules as Emerald, FRLG and HGSS and yet you're already calling them easier?
>>
>>26666296
>implying the easiest way to breeze through all the games isn't pouring all XP onto your starter

They really need to bring back the gen 5 xp system, that was nearly perfect.
>>
>>26666305
What about it? The main argument I was trying to disprove at the time was if earlier games were as easy as XY or not. I've shown that they're definitely harder and it's not nostalgia

I played XY with xp share mostly on at first, was underleveled (level 50-60~ team aginst Diantha's level 60+ team) and yet it was still a breeze. Judging by how easily levels fall off later with xp share off, GF intended to have XP share left on throughout the game but failed to balance around it. Therefore, GF did actually intend for XY to be easier. Fucking Wulfric having only 3 pokemon with less-than stellar movesets cements this. At this point doing a similar run for XY is just for tat tiny bit of confirmation needed.

And yes, Marlon had 3 Pokemon too, but all of them had pokemon that were significantly stronger and of a better type.
>>
>>26666339
Marlon and Drayden/Iris in BW, I mean.
>>
File: gen6 vs gen5.png (314 KB, 950x448) Image search: [Google]
gen6 vs gen5.png
314 KB, 950x448
>>26666137
It was easier.
The developers also confirmed that, so no point in denying it
>>
>>26666137
Both.
>>26666176
And this.

It should be a crime giving a 4th gym leader specialized in Gass type a second stage Pokemon that evolves through Stone when before reaching Ramos you fight Aerodactyl in a Sky Battle and manage to pass through 2 Furfrou in Double mode and when even your own gym trainers use Stone evolutions.

A fucking Weepinbell and Jumpluff after being hyped by Serperior gates on Parfume Palace, tons of Grass mons avaible and Mega Lucario.

The only naturally and average challenging battles for random runs I can remember were in late RSE, early BW/BW2 and almost all of DPP. Maybe Sabrina in RBGY and FRLG too.

As for the E4, Platinum, RSE because literally RNG based strategies everywhere, oddly the ORAS rematch teams were even more disappointing, and what? Nothing else I think, Cyrus and Ghetsis in BW (BW2 team is shit and so is fuck my shit up with Excadrill Colress)

BW started the 4 Pokemon league meme and was also literally swept by Lilligant aka the plant with no moves while their champ had basically only Volcarona as Pokemon. Kalos kept the 4 Pokemon meme team with at least 1 mandatory shitmon while their gyms had max 3 Pokemon and not even smart team selections considering the themes and opportunities. Diantha was a female Alder version with only Gardevoir being useful and also steamrolled (with the whole league) by Aegislash and Charizard like Lilligant did with Unova.

Sun & Moon better end this bullshit or at least limit and balance the Pokemin avaible pre league. I don't want games that are "Diglett vs Lt. Surge" situation the whole time.
>>
File: 1283830576694.jpg (131 KB, 493x503) Image search: [Google]
1283830576694.jpg
131 KB, 493x503
Gen 6 is undeniably easier. But you can opt out of a lot of the easier functions, because GameFreak is assuming you are an adult and can fucking figure out how to do it yourself.

>EXP Share makes it too easy
Good thing you can turn it off.

>They hand out legendaries like candy!
I can't think of a single instance where you're forced to use a legendary.

>trainers have bad teams now
have you see your rivals final moveset from Red/Blue? There have been downgrades in this department but its not like NPCs used to be consistently challenging.

>The game is fundamentally too easy
Putting aside that the game is made with kids in mind so it SHOULD be fairly easy and accessible, you can change from Switch to Set style battles, it makes things a fair bit more challenging, but I never hear of people doing it.

>Why not bring back challenge mode?
Challenge mode just meant you had to grind more, it wasn't real difficulty.

In my eyes, a core tenant of Pokemon is that, given the abundance of Pokemon, you can play in a way that suits you as a player. There were 150 Pokemon but only 6 slots in your party because you had to make a Choice. Some methods may be less effective than others but you still have the freedom to make that choice. Even in early games, it becomes pretty easy if you actually spend your money on healing items and use them instead of just letting your money accumulate until you're a rich bastard. So when grown adults get ass blasted because their kids game is too easy for them, while it is fully within their power to make the game more difficult, I don't really find myself sympathizing with them too much. It is a game, and it gives you a wide array of tools you can use to enjoy it with.

You don't have to eat every piece of food at the buffet if you don't want to.
>>
>>26666339
Well maybe you should do the same for all games before claiming ones are easier depite the fact you used different restrictions for other games
>>
>>26666390
you seem to be the only one who disagrees. I can't be fucked, then, XY overall is boring and I've had enough of Kalos. I might do it if I get bored enough, but if you're interested enough to even debate this, you do it.

>>26666386
Difficulty is relative to the player, RB also gave the player fuckall in moves for most mons aside TMs. But really, Gen 1 shouldn't be used since it's clear GF had no idea what they were doing at the time.

>grinding
>in a pokemon game
Do you have no concept of playing smart?

>>26666383
I am really pissed off that GF gives the players tons of shit to use and then puts out nothing for you to really use them against, now that I think of it.
>>
>>26666386
This
>>
>>26666386
>>26666424
>just meanoyou had to grind more

Oh no, I'm having trouble! Instead of using another one of many characters in this game that might be at a better advantage, using the tools that give me new abilities or using the many items that can change the way I fight, better pick the most braindead and boring option to overcome this challenge!

Is your retardation why you braindead fucks don't want a harder mode?
>>
File: 1380104748641.jpg (145 KB, 534x496) Image search: [Google]
1380104748641.jpg
145 KB, 534x496
>>26666430
I think they're literally underageb& who only know how to spam super effective moves, assuming they're not just using Pokemon like all fire moves Charizard.
>>
>>26666272
But i didn't use the exp.share.
And receiving an almost free legendary almost 30 levels superior to everyone else is an Emerald exclusive.
>>
>>26666386
good notice
>/vp/ constantly bitches about easy games
>gets triggered when the SET battle style is mentioned
>>
>>26666471
>free
Assuming you didn't have master ball, good luck surviving it while you tried to whittle it down with 3 catch rate. And Wallace's entire team packs ice to kill it, anyway.
>>
>>26666386
>Challenge mode just meant you had to grind more

shitter detected
>>
>>26666471
Not really. In Emerald catching Rayquaza as soon as is available is a challenge because you have to do to the bicycle puzzle and Fug is overleveled so it can destroy your team.
Also you have to go out of your way to get it( after Juan you are supposed to go to Victory Road), instead of being handed to you during the main story
>>
Anyone who thinks the earlier games are harder than Gen6 is a retard.
I recently played through every Gen and they all are equally easy.
Emerald even gives you a freaking rayquaza lv70 before the elite4....
>>
File: 1418491439624.gif (21 KB, 150x160) Image search: [Google]
1418491439624.gif
21 KB, 150x160
>>26666540
>freaking

I'm going to tell your mom you were using a naughty word
>>
>>26666540
>using main legendaries and legendaries ingame runs EVER
Speaking of retards.
>>
>>26666554
>>26666540
>21th century
>not using "Fucking".
>>
>>26666137
I think it was definitely easier. I don't remember ever being so disappointed with a Pokémon game before.

When I got gen6 I decided to Nuzlocke it right from the start so I could try out some new Pokémon.
By the end of the game only one Pokémon had fainted, I still had 5 of my first captures in my team. It was a joke, absolutely none of the game was even slightly challenging.
Gen6 has completely put me off Pokémon games. The hype around new games is fun to be involved with, but the games themselves will likely be just as terrible from now on
>>
File: 1462377474879.png (138 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1462377474879.png
138 KB, 375x375
>>26666540
>implying catching it is equal to being handed
>freaking
>....
Hello, Reddit
>>
>>26666507
>>26666532
Read
>almost free
It can't destroy my team because i have a Master Ball that nothing else in the game requires.
"Finding a new city on the map" isn't really going out of your way, nothing is hurrying you to go to the E4 instead of exploring the map. Not mentioning that it doesn't even really apply, usually a player WILL find Pacifidlog Town and use it as a "base" to explore the Sky Pillar when the plot tells you to. The bycicle puzzle is easy as shit and in the case you were so bad GF even lowered the Pokemon's levels there, even lower than ORAS's.
You then get a legendary that destroys everything. Watch out for Ice Beams? What do i need that for, Outrage annihilates everything and for fourth Pokemon he sends out either Whiscash or Gyarados which let me rest easily(apparently 2 Pokemon having Ice Beam and 1 Blizzard is "Wallace's entire team packs ice to kill it", huh)
Mega Latios is bad but at least is "fucking undying tank" instead of "destroyer" since it basically learns no fucking moves until 50 and what it has to start with isn't really that good.
>>
>>26666430
>>26666502
>>26666516
>something that should have not even been an option but mandatory is obtainable postgame and you have to restart the game or do bullshit key trading
>the hard mode isn't even hard and basically ends being a scam

The irrational overreactions from unova schills are always amusing.
>>
>>26666632
No one is arguing that the key system wasn't fucked, I'm saying your idea that the only thing harder difficulty makes you do is grind is something only a retard can think. Even a child knows they can use the fuckton of TMs they have to refit their team for a hard enemy.
>>
UNOVA A SHIT
>>
File: 1409956717890.png (643 KB, 1096x951) Image search: [Google]
1409956717890.png
643 KB, 1096x951
>>26666272
>Yeah those 2 extra levels
>gets salty about losing one or two levels early game
>sames gaining one or two levels later doesn't matter
Also, pic related.
>>
File: check em.jpg (12 KB, 248x249) Image search: [Google]
check em.jpg
12 KB, 248x249
Gen 6 is easier. I have this digits as proof
>>
Nostalgia.
>>
>>26666666
>>
>>26666540
>>26666554
>>
>>26666642
This is just another point that puts the Hard mode legend in shame.
Regardless I'm happy TM are reusable now.
>>
File: 1460146570883.jpg (62 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1460146570883.jpg
62 KB, 680x680
>EXP share makes it so you can have a full team of over-leveled pokemon throughout the entire game
>NPCs everywhere that heal your team
>sometimes the game lets you heal up before important battles like admin and rival battles
>trainers in general rarely ever have over 2 pokemon
>if they do, they tend to be under leved as hit
>you get EXP for catching pokemon

Gen 6 is easier. I played Yellow recently and it was definitely more difficult.

Stop this meme.
>>
>>26666691
Hard mode was a good idea executed poorly. Surely you aren't against a good hard mode that makes you actually use the tools the games give you, are you?
>>
>>26666707
>>NPCs everywhere that heal your team
>>sometimes the game lets you heal up before important battles like admin and rival battles
>>trainers in general rarely ever have over 2 pokemon
>>if they do, they tend to be under leved as hit
The first only applies to gen 5, the others apply to all gens. Fuck off Daffy.
>>
>b-b-but you can t-turn it off!
Why should a player restrict himself to make a game more fun?
>>
Gen 6 is the easiest as far as normal play goes, but X and Y are actually among the hardest games to Nuzlocke, assuming you apply the customary rules such as no EXP share, no gift mons, Set battle style, and a level cap.
>>
>>26666707
>EXP for catching Pokemon
lmao, is this real?
>>
>>26666805
>I should use absolutely all the tools at my disposal to beat the game
>Game is too fucking hard
>Resorts to use ingame exploits and broken weapons/spells
>it-its in t-the g-game!
>>
>>26666869
Well it's developers' fault for making their game an unbalanced broken mess
>>
>>26666386
The very first time I ever played with Set Battle for the first time was ORAS and I didn't even notice because it still ended up being easier than every Pokemon game I've played. Didn't use EXP Share either, except for the occasional leveling up low Pokemon.
>>
>>26666661
Close buddy. Good attempt
>>
>>26666559
>you get a free lati@s
Yeah... So the argument us valid for oras but not older games?
>>
No pokemon generation is hard if you dont handcap yourself, though 6 was a literal walk in the park.

>2 starters, a lucario, steelix, lapras and bisharp for free
>exp share allows you to stick to a single pokemon and still get 5 useful others under no effort
>wonder trade + lucky egg = pokemon at 90's during your first league run
>only trainers who have more than 3 pokemon are fisherman and their magikarp
>mega evolutions

I had fun but it felt lackluster in the end. I didnt really accomplish anything, just pressed A all the way to the credits. Hell, xerneas cost me a single quick ball. I remember bringing 99 ultra balls for mewtwo and leaving empty/needing to restart my save for hours.
>>
Every Pokemon game is easy as fuck.

I think the difference is that you have access to more (and more powerful) moves and you can reuse TM.
Though i never use TM ingame. I want my Pokemon to only know their lvl up moves
>>
>>26666137
I played Red (VC) and X back-to-back. In both, I had a rule to never out-level my opponent in any important battle. I got knocked out a lot more in X because there was actual coverage, though I was playing it blind and actually fighting every trainer, so I had to constantly cycle my team to avoid being over-levelled.
>>
File: 1462446375641.jpg (30 KB, 430x342) Image search: [Google]
1462446375641.jpg
30 KB, 430x342
>>26667299
>>
>>26666137
Easier than
>Gen 1
Yes, but not due to gameplay. Gen one had lots of issues with how it was built. Faster pokemon had better crit chance. The physical/special split hadn't happened yet, so lots of pokemon's stab were useless.
Trainers were hard coded to use Super effective moves, so you could take out most of lances pokemon with a level 1 zubat.
>Gen2
Eh. I won't bring up the stat split again untill it gets introduced.
Slower to level so the gyms felt like they had more impact. And they had moves that could fuck you if the fight went to long early on.
>Gen 3
I don't really remember much sorry
>Gen 4
Stat split so now lots more pokemon become powerfull.
Gym leaders actually felt like gym leaders as they had moves that could check most pokemon that had their weaknesses.
>Gen 5
Nah, it was pretty fucking easy
This is when they started giving you fucking everything so early on in the game. BW2 is more fun due to more pokemon but still just as easy
>Gen 6
The exp share makes leveling rediculously fast, and all the gym leaders are less powerfull than regular trainers.
>Gen 6
>>
Im playing blue rn and have actually lost a battle. I dont think that ever happened in XY for me. It's too easy, people aren't imagining it. For fucks sake, i actually beat the elite 4 in XY with no training and on my first try. I doubt thatll happen in Blue.
>>
>>26666176
First post best post
>>
It is, but not by much. Well, if you're the "Just turn it off" kind of guy at least. I've done a couple of experiments before when I could be assed to and found that there were at least some moments where the games were a little challenging. XY's are very rare in comparison. I actually know a guy who nuzlocked nearly every game in the series and doesn't hate XY or ORAS but he still pointed out to me that Shedinja can beat a good chunk of the gyms on its own.

>>26666258
Me from the last thread you were on. I feel like a Gen 5 no XP would be interesting too. When I went through BW it felt too easy as well aside from the Exp system. It could be fun for you since you're doing no grinding.
>>
File: 1445345353535.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445345353535.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>26666137
X&Y is universally agreed upon to be the hardest game in the main series to Nuzlocke.
Anybody who is a part of the nuzlocke scene will tell you this. There's so many stupidly difficult trainers/encounters scattered around that can easily either wipe your entire team or take 2-3 mons.

I never had nearly as much trouble nuzlocking any of the other games tbqh.
Oh and Gen 6 as a whole isn't difficult to nuzlocke. Oras is piss easy for example. It's just X&Y.
>>
>>26667471
Technically the EXP share does the training for you
>>
In the earlier games, money (for repels, potions, and escape ropes for example) was much harder to come by, and walking was very slow until you finally got the bike so trips back to the Pokémon Center weren't always viable, or took a lot longer.
Also your Pokémon's levelup moves were shit.
>>
Gen 6 truly is easier than Gen 1.

I watched my 7 year old son beat X version with no problems as his first pokemon game ever.

Then he downloaded Yellow version and is constantly asking for help. He was stuck on Brock for a week and now he's stuck in Rock Tunnel.

Give a kid who's never played pokemon a gen 6 and gen 1 game. They will beat the gen 6 game and get stuck halfway through the gen 1 game.
>>
>>26667297
Yeah, it felt odd using less than 5 pokeballs for a legendary. Pretty sure I caught it in one as well.
>>
>>26667540
Agreed.
One of the things I noticed is that XY has so many pokemon in each route that it can actually screw you up.
>Tfw I didn't have a single pokemon on my team that wasn't weak to Korrina's Hawlucha by time I got to her
>Tfw she completely sweeped my team because of this.
I'll have to give it another try at some point but from what I've seen the part I got fucked up at isn't even the hardest by a longshot.
Personally I like to watch other people play nuzlockes after I'm done with them, but I couldn't find many people who made it past Lissandra's third battle. Projarad, adrive and shadypenguin were just a few who I can remember off the top of my head who had failed runs.
>>
Kalos is flawless!
Shut up haters!!
>>
>>26666241
>How can I tell if the game is going to be balanced or not
So which gen did you start first? Regardless, I don't see why you would have EXP share on even if they did make quality AIs and more higher leveled Pokemon.
>>
>>26666805
>Complains that its restricting yourself
>Complains that its babby mode
Just make a choice, anon.
>>
File: mewtwo_dungeons_then_and_now.png (344 KB, 1260x1248) Image search: [Google]
mewtwo_dungeons_then_and_now.png
344 KB, 1260x1248
>>26666137
Masuda explicitly states in an interviee they wanted the casual mobile crowd.

So yes Gen 6 is piss easy. Its not nostalgia.
>>
>>26668030
I don't think you exactly understood what that meant.
>>
>>26666211
The guy with 6 Magikarps
>>
>>26666688
>>26666666
>>
>>26666864
Have you really never played Gen VI? Yeah it's real and really annoying when you're EV training and come across something good
>>
>>26668030
I don't like how much they gimp dungeons so they can be better cinematic experiences
>>
>>26668099
>>26666666#
>>
>>26668055
No. You don't. Can you please calm your contrarian urges for one day? Fuck bro.
>>
>>26668130
You seem a little upset over one comment from another anon, are you doing okay today?
>>
>>26668145
Fuck off already.
>>
>>26668152
Sorry, friend. I hope your day gets better.
>>
>>26666137
yes its easier, are you a newfag or something?

Want harder games? You can either
1. Try to make your own rules or
2. Spam GF on social media, do some petition etc instead of shitposting on it again
>>
>>26667540
>>26667652
Nuzlockes are a really stupid way of measuring difficulty, considering in XY most of it comes from unpredictability on what you'll get.
>>
>>26667540
Literwlly what?
I nuzlocked Y blind and I didn't lose a single fucking mon during the entire run. Shit was ridiculous.
>>
>>26668190
Were you using exp share?
>>
>>26668219
Turned it off once I noticed how broken it was
>>
>>26668229
Wait, so you were doing a nuzlocke on your playthrough?
>>
>People who actually use more then 2 Pokemon
>Who also use EXP share
>>
File: frodo.png (214 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214 KB, 400x399
>>26668190
Why do people feel the need to blatantly lie on an anonymous imageboard?
On your "blind" playthrough of X and Y, there is no way you wouldn't have lost a single pokemon when there are threats like -
>Double Furfrou trainers
>Random early ace trainer with a Kadabra that is like 10 levels higher than everything else on the route
>Mr Mime + Machamp double battle
>Double Lucario battle
>Sawk and Hawlucha trainers
>Lissandra
>Wobbuffet cave
>Area with pretty much every other arena trap pokemon in the dex (The Magneton in particular catch people off guard)

You either over leveled by a ridiculous margin, or you're chatting shit. It's literally either one of them because you definitely did not get through an X and Y nuzlocke without losing anything. Especially blind. Period.
>>
>>26666137
Yes.
>>
>>26668374
this is so true, those double furfrou's took both my starters on my blind nuzlocke ! ;_;
>>
>>26668374
I think a lot of people had trouble with the dragon dancing gyarados too
>>
>>26666202
>megas
>trainers with fuck all mons
>underlevelled gyms
>free legendary early on
>way more healing NPCs
>chances to heal up before rival fights
Yeah, there is no hard mode in pokemon, though there never really was, but games have still got easier
>>
File: crying anime witch.gif (1011 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
crying anime witch.gif
1011 KB, 500x245
>>26668374
>>Sawk and Hawlucha trainers
>>
File: 1409203629804.jpg (24 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1409203629804.jpg
24 KB, 320x287
Sure, Gen VI isn't very challenging, but it's not as easy as /vp/ claims it to be as long as you turn off the Exp Share immediately. Having replayed both Blue and Black versions just a while ago, I can say without any doubt that they're both easier than XY.

Gen I is definitely the easiest game in the series because of the horrible enemy AI and ridiculously bad movesets. You can be underleveled as fuck in those game and still sweep everyone without any trouble. I mean, I beat Gen I easily as a kid without understanding anything about stats or type coverage, without grinding and without understanding English very well, so I think that's enough of proof that those game are easy as shit.

BW have the problem of giving you way too much exp compared to the low level differences of the gym leaders. I didn't grind at all after the second gym and yet my team was overleveled all the way from the third gym to the final gym, and I actually had to AVOID trainer battles so I wouldn't be too much ahead of the gym leaders. It was just fucking stupid. The only mildly challenging battles in the game are N and Ghetsis, that's it. Otherwise you can just sweep with your overleveled Mons.

In terms of difficulty, this is how I would rank the generations:
4 > 3 > 2 > 6 > 5 > 1
>>
>>26668487
>>megas
Ok.

>>trainers with fuck all mons
Shared by all gens.

>>underlevelled gyms
Not true, if anything it applies to all gens before 3.

>>free legendary early on
"after half of the game" isn't "early on". Only applies to ORAS and not XY.

>>way more healing NPCs
There are none outside gen V.

>>chances to heal up before rival fights
Applies to all gens.

Get out.
>>
File: Diantha team.png (150 KB, 831x569) Image search: [Google]
Diantha team.png
150 KB, 831x569
>>26666365

>A character fought after the 7th gym in X and Y has levels almost identical to the final boss and post-champion fight of Black and White, and a pokemon with a much higher base stat total as his Ace.

X and Y must be harder than Black and White then. Here's a more apt comparison. The final fight of X and Y is almost 15 levels higher and has stronger pokemon.
>>
>>26668374
This.
Each route seemed to have that 1 trainer that randomly has a strong as fuck pokemon that will fuck your shit up if you're not careful.
RIP my run because of that Doublade trainer in the frost cavern.
>>
>>26666137
>beating every gym on first try
>not even checking the type
>beating E4 on first try without grinding in victory road
I didn;t even found half of pokemon since i didn't had to grind at all
I remeber 3rd gym in 2nd gen, when that bitch rollouted the shit of me a few times before I could beat her, and I remeber when I 1st became champion in pokemon blue when I was 7 y/o and I did it only because my haunter was immune to normal attacks and when it was down to one pokemon on me and blue only my immunity to his attacks gave me victory and it was just by pure luck since I finished this fight using struggle.
>>
>>26668509
Gen V gives you LESS experience the more overleveled your pokemon are.
I haven't played BW in a while but I am playing Black 2 right now and all my shit is underleveled.
>>
>>26668600
>Gen V gives you LESS experience the more overleveled your pokemon are
Didn't seem to matter much since the five Pokemon that I used for battling were all at level 46 when I battled Drayden while his Haxorus is at level 43. I've had this same problem every time I've played BW so it's definitely a major flaw in these games.
>>
>>26666383
>while their gyms had max 3 Pokemon
BW gyms also had only 3 Pokemon in case you didn't notice

BW2 too unless you played on challenge mode
>>
>>26666137
Make exp share a single pokemon held item again holy fucking shit. Stop bending backwards for ass faggots.
>>
>>26666137

Probably a mixture of both.
XP Share combined with having powerful units right off the bat made it a lot easier.

And when i was a kid, i'd only use my starter and sometimes maybe some of the legendaries if some other non-retarded kid helped me get them, so I was continuously failing against the elite 4 even with a lv80 something starter.
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 900x800
>>26668374
>tfw got wiped on my Y wonderlocke run by Siebold's DDing Gyarados
Lysandre encounters and double Lucario were pretty nasty too.
>>
It was easier. Go to the eShop and buy R/B/Y and you can tell the difference right away.

>I'm terrified of my rival in Yellow because our second battle was so difficult.

I've never lost so many times in a row in a Pokemon game before.
>>
File: we champion now.png (187 KB, 538x720) Image search: [Google]
we champion now.png
187 KB, 538x720
>"Gen 1 was so much harder!"
k
>>
>http://www.strawpoll.me/10440045
>>
>>26666657
>same trainer
When you have more exp between mons, reusable TM's, and just better movesets.

>It's the same difficulty!

>>26666540
At least the Fug was optional to encounter and had a puzzle before it

>fricken
SUMMMMMERRRR
>>
>>26666628
Holy fuck is this bait?

You are saying getting a free MEGA LEGENDARY BEFORE THE 6th GYM isn't the same as using a master ball on a puzzle that no one told you about is equal? Fucking GF apologists are the worst. Nothing fucking tells you that you can go back and catch him after too
>>
>Thinking trainer's pokemon levels is a metric for difficulty
Shouldn't it be some combination of their levels relative to the player's (at any given point in the game) and how strong and diverse the pokemon actually are?
>>
>>26668600
Which isn't a problem since you can farm the breeders and Audino for good EXP.
>>
>>26671665
>first and 2nd favorite gens are tied
>>
>>26666540
Nice bait. Here's your (you), (you) earned it buddy :^)
>>
>>26668509
But the game's designed exp system is to stop you from over leveling. I always was under leveled. In X and Y even when I did turn off the Exp share no boss was remotely difficult unlike from your words Ghetsis and N. I just find it hard to believe
>>
>>26668530
>levels mattering
I had a harder time in HGSS's champion who HIGHEST level was a single 50 Dragonite 18 level difference
>>
File: Ghetsis_Hydreigon.jpg (124 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
Ghetsis_Hydreigon.jpg
124 KB, 500x583
>>26668530
Ghetsis' team is lower levelwise than Diantha but is composed of better Pokemon overall. There's a reason his Hydreigon became a small meme when Black and White first came out, because it gave players such a hard time, nothing on Dianna's team earned even close to that level of reputation.
>>
>>26666137
>EXP Share opt-out instead of opt-in
>Two Starters
>Fossil before second gym
>Gaining EXP just for catching Pokemon

No shit it's easier now.
>>
>>26667540
I've done three Nuzlockes on Y. No EXP Share. The Reflection Cave is brutal, and there are some other brutal trainers later on like the Alakazam/Gardevoir duo and Doublade-chan. Aside from those, it was pretty standard fare.
>>
>>26666241
I just want my regular exp share back. :(
Being able to train one underleveled mon at a time was a nice little help without breaking anything.
>>
>>26666137

All I can tell you is that my wife is a complete casual. Started with BW, went to White 2, Omega Ruby, and most recently X. During her X playthrough she mentioned how the game was so much easier compared to earlier installments.

A complete casual complains about the difficulty level. I would say it's objectively easier than other games.

But it's not just exclusive to Gen VI. Imo once Tox stopped affecting pokemon outside of battle and the rivals became jokes, that's around the time it got way too easy.
>>
File: 1464974139976.png (295 KB, 576x699) Image search: [Google]
1464974139976.png
295 KB, 576x699
Straight up nostalgia.

Replaying Blue on the VC makes me realize that the game never had a difficulty spike until Elite Four. I never lost a single battle the one playthrough I dedicated to it.
>>
>>26671926
It's not intentionally hard. They just throw in stuff way to OP for the time
>>
File: nervous lawyer.gif (21 KB, 113x136) Image search: [Google]
nervous lawyer.gif
21 KB, 113x136
It's too fucking easy. I'm playing Gen 1 for the first time and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>at Erika's gym
>against a weepinbell from a lass
>makes my charmeleon sleep
>wrap
>fuck this
>switch out to my butterfree
>it uses fucking stun spore
there's no fucking way it could've predicted that shit.
>>
>>26672390
>gen one

Everyone agrees it's easy. Play Emerald or something
>>
>>26672450
it doesn't actually, Gen 1 AI randomly use one of their moves, unless there is a type effective move. Which in turn leads to hilarious situations such as the infamous event where Lance's dragonite only used barrier against a very underleved venomoth.
>>
>>26671909
Don't forget early access to mega against the 1% of trainers ingame that doesn't use them.

>>26669360
True, but even then compare both the regional dex and Pokemon access in BW/BW2 and XY, evwn if you get tons of shitmons and non sense L.40-L.60 evos of 2 and 3 stage mons the Gym Leader clearly have a somewhat of a stategy and movepool or high BST mons with decent stat distributions, beside Skyla garbage and LELesa or Literally who which is objectively worst Ice leader (even more than Pryce and Wulfric's movepools), their teams and levels were quite challengig considering your shitmon selection of Pokemon, DD Dragon Tail 8th gym was stupid tho.
Their E4 were easy but not as easy as Kalos ones, while for BW2 Roxie was Lt. Surge 2.0 when you have access to Magnemite and Elekid / Magby which are strong special attackers and that other literally who Bug fag that didn't use Escavalier or Accelgor because they are stronger than its fucking bug waifu and were used for Alder who you can only rematch in the PWT (I fair enough because he would have like 5 mons then).

Then compare Kalos where you can obtain evo stones for early game mons through Pokemon Amie, megas, early game pseudos, dude free Lucario lmao and so on while the gym leaders and even the E4 have a team selection and movepool that is unironically weaker than some Ace Trainers and Veterans in the VR. I also cringe everytime I see an Altaria in a Champion or E4 team knowing it cannot even destroy your team because it isn't their ace.
>>
X/Y was either faceroll or just slightly challenging depending on Exp Share.

OR/AS was laughably easy regardless of Exp Share.
>>
>>26666137
I'll admit I was stupid about Pokemon as a kid. I literally had a Blastoise with all water moves and cherry tapped the Elite Four with water gun so I could save my Hydro Pump uses for the champion, but at the same time, I was *able* to cherry tap the E4 to death with water gun, so that should say something.

Pokemon has never been particularly difficult (if you want that, go check out Dragon Warrior Monsters on the GBC. *That* game could fuck your shit up mercilessly once you hit a certain point) but the new ones are even more ridiculously easy. The fact that there isn't a single trainer in the game outside the Champion who has six pokemon (no, magikarp don't count), and even the gym leaders only have three, is extremely telling. They're also severely underleveled. The only time I had anything close to a challenge was Viola and her Surskit because it wasn't really weak to anything that you could easily have access to early on. From there on out, just battling the trainers along the routes put you a few levels ahead of gym leaders. At least previous titles made you actually *train* for the fights, even if they might hand you something strong against them right around the gym.

I'll say what everyone else has been saying since gen 5: We need Challenge Mode in every game. Let the kiddies play the regular version that's easy for them so they can enjoy it, but give us long-time fans a hard difficulty setting with full teams, stronger trainers and more diverse moves. I like casually breeding and battling myself, but damn if I wouldn't enjoy a good battle against a champion that I actually had to *work* for, maybe even breed for IVs to gain an edge. Pokemon has lots of mechanics that are utterly useless in the actual game itself, and that's a damn shame.
>>
Exp All makes it way easier if you don't turn it off by default.

Also, all the teams were smaller, all of them.
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.