[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rhg/ - ROMhacking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 15
File: ancient platinum route 218.png (34 KB, 736x384) Image search: [Google]
ancient platinum route 218.png
34 KB, 736x384
Notable ROM hacks: pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/ (better for Gen 3+ hacks)
hax.iimarck.us (better for Gen 1/2 hacks)

IRC channel: #romhacking @ irc.rizon.net
>>
there's hardly enough interest for one /heg/ nevermind splitting it
>>
File: A child feeling unloved.png (57 KB, 300x248) Image search: [Google]
A child feeling unloved.png
57 KB, 300x248
>>26651992
I just miss old /rhg/, man, before the Essentialsfags came in and started the neverending shitposting war between the two.
>>
>romhacking general

nice try toasterfag.
>>
File: 1452491626029.jpg (25 KB, 292x227) Image search: [Google]
1452491626029.jpg
25 KB, 292x227
>>26652072
Who?
>>
>>26652070
This. Essentials was a mistake.
>>
>no on-topic discussion

Let's fix that. Here's another WIP of Humilau.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/humilau-city-gbc-8-bit-wip-2

I like what I did with the main melody but everything else still doesn't really click for me, I don't feel I've gotten the balance right due to all the missing layers of the original song. Any criticism, suggestions?
>>
>>26652297
No it wasn't. It allows people to actually make games instead of fumbling around with editing the tiniest thing just to have a result that's yet another shitty looking GSC or FRLG hack.
>>
How the fuck to you edit pokemon icons in HGSS?
>>
I'm working on some table editing tools for gen IV (items, moves, trainers, etc; nothing graphics related), because most of the current ones aren't very good. Any suggestions/feature requests? (Does anyone care about editing contest stats?) So far I have support for expanded types and moves, autofill/search functions, and a lot of extra editable things that aren't in any current tools.
>>
>>26652701
It's pretty damn great. Nice work since the 1st version.
>>
>>26653977
Fuck, finally found the poke_icon.narc file and I'm using a d/p method. Hope it works.
>>
>>26654089
They're just uncompressed bit maps, aren't they? It's probably the exact same file across all the gen IV games, the d/p method should be fine.
>>
File: overworlds.jpg (23 KB, 576x131) Image search: [Google]
overworlds.jpg
23 KB, 576x131
can i get some feedback on these overworld sprites i drew? i' trying to do gen 3 style in case that isn't obvious
>>
File: overworlds.png (11 KB, 576x131) Image search: [Google]
overworlds.png
11 KB, 576x131
>>26654347
woops posted a jpg
>>
Emergency bump

>>26654086
Thanks, I'm glad someone likes it at least.
>>
>>26654357
These look nice and are pretty darn consistent
Good Work, anon!
>>
>>26654347
Why do some sprites have Brendan and some have Red? Are some of these just references?
>>
aaaaand bump.
>>
File: ancient platinum.png (41 KB, 470x425) Image search: [Google]
ancient platinum.png
41 KB, 470x425
Bumping. I just found out the Ancient Platinum hacker is returning to the hack, I'm hype.
>>
>>26663765
twenty, twenty one guuuns
>>
File: MAP033s.png (222 KB, 1056x1056) Image search: [Google]
MAP033s.png
222 KB, 1056x1056
Who uses seasons or gen 5 tiles in their project?
You can set invisible tiles with Klein's Season script to activate on certain seasons. Each tileset can also take on individual properties like crunching leaves or deep snow.
>>
File: MAP033.png (255 KB, 1056x1056) Image search: [Google]
MAP033.png
255 KB, 1056x1056
>>26664322
Same map during Autumn
>>
File: MAP033w.png (204 KB, 1056x1056) Image search: [Google]
MAP033w.png
204 KB, 1056x1056
>>26664331
and winter
>>
what do you work with Max? Like programs wise.
>>
Max you are awesome. Do you got any past games of yours we can play?
>>
File: FFFFFFFFFFF.png (6 KB, 234x212) Image search: [Google]
FFFFFFFFFFF.png
6 KB, 234x212
>TFW

Does anyone know a safe download of XSE?
>>
>>26664402
Thanks!
All I have is a half-finished BW hack from years ago. Gained a lot of traction, but I just didn't get around to finishing it.
>>
>>26664425
Is it playable?
>>
>>26664425
What is it about? Would love to see more gen 5 hacks.
>>
Does anyone know where to find transparent back sprites for the BW1 protagonists? I know about pic related but I doubt I can use this for Klein's BW Essentials.
>>
>>26652742
Essentials is the Unity of Pokemon game creation.
It's a great tool when used by the right people. The only people who have a problem with it are those who spent ages learning a dead coding language who are now salty that game devving is as easy as drag n drop.
>>
>>26652742
Are GSC hacks even that prominent? I'm pretty sure there are more Gen 1 hacks than Gen 2 hacks.

And every Essentials games copies either Gen 3 or Gen 5 graphics anyway, and it seems the heaviest gameplay changes to the battle system are shit like "hey there's this new type of weather in Gym Leader battles that nerfs all of the Gym type's weaknesses and buffs all the best moves of that type and the Gym Leader happens to have those moves" like Reborn.

Max seems like a good guy but he seems to actually be heavily fucking with the engine instead of just "drag n drop." Anything else is just as derivative as those hacks you describe, just in a worse engine.

Are you complaining more than usual because of the OP of this thread?

>>26663979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvkHFcT8_6Q

The best thing about a Sinnoh demake is like half the soundtrack, for routes and towns at least, have already been ported to the engine as an independent thing, so we're going to get music for almost everything necessary when a demo comes out, if it comes out.
>>
>>26664410
Uploaded my copy.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bcnyqiz0luuffuc/9559-Xtreme+Script+Editor+1.11.zip
Here you go.
>>
>>26664483
It was an RBY remake that included Johto pokémon. The story followed most of team rocket's story from both RB/GS, and the player was supposed to encounter either Lugia or Ho-oh at the end of the game.

>>26664441
Mostly. The sprites, music, and scripts weren't all edited, but I finished hex editing all wild encounters, gyms and elite four.
The plot would need revision because, let's face it, 14 year olds aren't great at storylines.
>>
>>26665096
Thanks a ton anon! I can't believe that some of these tools are dead, gaia hasn't been around for that long.
>>
>>26652253
>Who?
He's an anon who throws a fit on /heg/ whenever Essentials is mentioned. His computer chugs when trying to run an RPGXP game and this is somehow our fault.

saged, since you'll probably never see this post anyway.
>>
anyone got the most recent elite battle version before the ui update posted today? I want the bug fixes but not the new ui crap.
>>
>>26652701
I like it. Humilau is one of my favorite tracks from BW and I feel you've done it justice. With a lil more refinement, it'll sound like it belongs in GSC.

What software did you use to make it?
>>
>>26664346
>>26664331
>>26664322
this is nice
>>
Bamp

Where's a good pointless argument when you need one.
>>
File: 115.gif (99 KB, 108x108) Image search: [Google]
115.gif
99 KB, 108x108
HGSS's sprites were so underused in gen 5.
>>
>>26667609
If this was /heg/ we'd get that pointless argument.
>>
What is the best of the 3DS hacks? I haven't played Pokemon since XY came out and got bored because they were jusy too easy. Looking to get back to the games but with more challenge and catch variety.

Alternatively if the 3DS ones aren't good I'll go back and play BlazeBlack since I never played the BW games before
>>
Is there a hack of HG/SS where all gen 2 Pokemon are available?
>>
File: chen holding a toaster.png (27 KB, 950x950) Image search: [Google]
chen holding a toaster.png
27 KB, 950x950
>>26665297
Man, he sounds like a jerk, I hope I don't run into him. :^)
>>
File: 1460502113512.jpg (89 KB, 360x441) Image search: [Google]
1460502113512.jpg
89 KB, 360x441
>>26666014
I'm glad you like it. Are specifics on what can be refined? I'm almost done porting the song and every criticism helps.

>What software did you use to make it?

It's all done with the disassembly, written in an .asm file and tested by compiling it then hearing it in-game with a music player someone else coded.

There actually are tools to assist with Gen 2 music editing but I've never asked the guy who made those if I can have them since my method works well enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBS9qP6WwE is an example of someone using fancier tools, but even then he's still ultimately putting it in the ROM, just using tools to port MIDI channel sections directly and test it without compiling.
>>
>>26671688
I think it sounds fine as is. Sometimes it's best to not fuck around with a project too much, or else it begins to sound unnatural.

My advice is to sleep on it, then give it a listen and see what could really be better. If you can't find anything, it's probably the best it'll be.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.