[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vp/, I've been developing an Essentials fangame for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66
File: one.png (33 KB, 516x410) Image search: [Google]
one.png
33 KB, 516x410
Hey /vp/, I've been developing an Essentials fangame for a long time, and I've enlisted your guys' help a couple times now, but this is probably the last. I think I've done all I can with the game, and I consider it sorta finished, even if everything isn't perfect. I'd love for a sorta 'last' test with you guys' though. Anyways, if your down to play this, keep reading.

Pokemon Alchemist Beta
>What is this game? Pitch it to me op.
This is a game I've been developing on Essentials since December 2014. It's been just me and publicly available scripts/sprites. I've tried to make it as similar to the main
series games as possible, so no Fakemon. It's sort of a blend between Gens III, IV, and V. On that note the game has NOT been updated to Gen VI standards just yet. The game has all eight
Gyms and the Pokemon League, along with some postgame.

>Story? Pokemon Available?
It's a more traditional Pokemon story. The player, on an adventure, is swept into an evil teams plot to take over the region by ressurecting an ancient Pokemon
Along with the International Police, and some Gym Leaders, you try to stop their plot all over the region. There's quite a few easter eggs regarding their past hidden throughout the game, and the story goes a little silly
towards the end, I hope you all enjoy it!

You should be able to capture every single Pokemon in Gen I - V when I've fully completed the game. Nearly all of them are in right now aside from some legendaries. You can see most
of whats in the game in the Google Document below.
>>
File: two.png (282 KB, 800x935) Image search: [Google]
two.png
282 KB, 800x935
>How can I download, etc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O7aBcpe4sbDAz0CsmxFUfOi7Xrs4YMhYhil4obMB-wI/edit
The game is not complete, so be careful. I've been tinkering around with random parts of the game recently, and while I've tested them, stuff could still just go wrong. Be
careful! I'd like your feedback on anything really, from Routes and Towns to Difficulty.

I'll post some of my favorite maps and stuff too, if you guys would like. Or even some maps I think could be improved.
Thanks for testing!
>>
>>26607854
>The game is not complete
complete it and come back
>>
File: three.png (195 KB, 1120x935) Image search: [Google]
three.png
195 KB, 1120x935
>>26608151
In the op I explained I've 'done all I can with the game'. There's only so much you can do as a one man team, this is basically as complete as its gonna get.
>>
Too complicated, too many things to download and stuff
>>
I'll take a look
>>
>>26608237
That would be really nice looking island if you didn't shape it like a fucking square
>>
File: memes.png (391 KB, 1122x935) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
391 KB, 1122x935
>>26608275
I really wish it wasnt the case too. The music folder and battlers folder always seemed to cause issues with the RPGMaker installer, so I have to put them out seperately. maybe its just the billion year old program not being able to handle it, but I have no idea.

>>26608313
thanks

>>26608351
you've got to remember how small the screen is, when you're getting the big picture from a map it's not the same at all in game. another square map is this one, but you can't see both sides of the town without running for a second or two, making it seem less artificial.
>>
>>26608237
You're not very good at mapping.
>>
File: map.png (207 KB, 960x641) Image search: [Google]
map.png
207 KB, 960x641
>>26608465
I appreciate you being so honest, but it really doesn't mean much if you don't explain why. even just saying rock placement or pathing is shit or something helps
>>
>>26607846
>>26607854
How incomplete is it? I'd like to give it a play & wouldn't mind if there are side-events that never happen & buildings that never open, but I doubt I'd bother with it at all if the game just stops 3/4 of the way through - had enough of that kind of heartbreak from ShinyGold
>>
>>26608450
you can literally put everything into a zip file, .dll files included (you can find them because the notepad says where they are, then you just change the notepad)
>>
File: stairs.jpg (553 KB, 1122x934) Image search: [Google]
stairs.jpg
553 KB, 1122x934
>>26608450
Consider putting a staircase here for clearer navigation.
>>
File: f[oiherw.png (7 KB, 626x156) Image search: [Google]
f[oiherw.png
7 KB, 626x156
>>26608582
you can beat the entire game,
just stuff like an empty PWT, and hinting at a postgame story are stuff I mean. There's a really shitty worldmap that doesn't function properly. minor stuff like that mostly, nothing that impedes upon the meat of the game.

>>26608599
I was always under the impression you had to use the RPGMaker compression. I'll give that a try in a second, thats about a million times easier if it works, thank you anon.
What .dll are we talking about here though? theres a few in the games folder, and two (psikey and scilexer) in the RPGMaker folder
>>
>>26608681
Ah well that's great then - will give it a download now. May post summat about it some way into the future if there's ever a relevant thread

And for what it's worth I like the aesthetics of your maps, even if the object placement is sometimes a little off
>>
Wow, I recognize some of these maps. I think I played a super old version of this like a year ago or longer. Good to see you've continued working on it.
I've bookmarked the google doc in case the thread 404's and I'll check it out tomorrow.
>>
>>26608450
I would move the northwestern house one tile down, it looks like it is stuck in the ledge right now.
The tree right in front of it looks very odd too, unless there is a reason for it I would just go without a door instead.
>>
Downloading it now OP. Seems like its going to be good.
Happy to see an essentials game thats not
>YOU ARE IN A DARK EDGY WORLD WITH LIMITED ACCESS TO POKEMON AND YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD FROM TEAM DARKNESS AND THEIR PLOT TO DESTROY THE GYM LEADERS11!!!11
>>
File: Untitled.webm (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.webm
2 MB, 300x200
I added a new easy download, but I have no idea if it works. I simply compressed the entire folder like >>26608599 suggested.
Since I have all the RPGMaker stuff already installed, there's no way I can personally test this. relying on you guys

>>26608846
thanks for giving it another shot, hope you enjoy

>>26608887
I understand what you mean, rather than make a whole new house with NPCS I'll keep the tree blocking it.

>>26608906
stuff like reborn is pretty funny with how edgy it gets, doesn't a character try to commit suicide or something at some point? its pretty ridiculous, I tried to keep story mostly low key

Some of the graphics are outdated in this WEBM, but its the only animated thing I have to show some stuff off like Elite Battle 2015
>>
>>26608450
With the exception of the sandstone tile here, your maps are pretty good.

The colors of that map in particular are rather drab, all of the houses being the same don't help either.

Did you make those benches? They make the place look more livable, but the pallet doesn't match the gen IV look you have going on

Maybe try playing around with the hue of that particular tileset, or changing the houses

>>26608237
A little claustrophobic but decent

>>26607854
Good

>>26608580
Good, but the flowers and trees on the bottom feel rather cluttered, try removing, or replacing some if possible

Once I'm on another PC I'll give the game a run.

Congratulations on actually feature-completing a game! Very few make it that far, Essentials or otherwise.
>>
>>26610663
Oh, and keep posting your progress in /heg/!
>>
I doubt that I can play too much today, but I'll give it a shot until I pass out.
>>
File: tiles.png (26 KB, 406x492) Image search: [Google]
tiles.png
26 KB, 406x492
>>26610663
>>26610679
thanks for the big post anon, by sandstone do you mean the paths around the town? I've replaced a few of them, but I think they all look about the same to be honest.
I also didn't make those benches, they're default essentials assets. The DPPT tileset I'm using doesn't seem to include any benches, so I've just stuck with them.

>>26610774
Glad more people are giving the game a shot.
>>
I'm trying it now, looks pretty cool so far.

Just found one bug, when I exit the big house in the NE of Mountain Town, I spawn above the door and can't leave.
>>
File: snow.png (215 KB, 862x1079) Image search: [Google]
snow.png
215 KB, 862x1079
I'm gonna give this a bump before I head to bed, have a sorta boring snow map

>>26611230
thanks for the heads up, overlooked this while I was swapping around graphics for the building.
>>
This seems pretty neat. I'll give it a play in my spare time. Nice work OP, one manning a whole game must have taken a good lot of effort.
>>
I'm on mobile now but I bookmarked your Google doc for later. This sounds great I can't wait to see the game. My goal is pretty similar to yours OP, just make a Pokemon game that I'd want to play all day everyday.

I'm in my senior year of college for Game Design and mainly do art assets so if you ever need an extra hand ID love to help out.
>>
>>26611058
It has a few broken walking permissions. I can list them later on, if you want. Other than that, the game seems entertaining, even though I haven't left Route 1.
>>
>>26613587
Ooo I love this snow area. The colors are really nice.
>>
>>26613587
>snow area that isn't five feet long
Better than Kalos already.
I'll give it a shot too.
>>
File: snowcity.png (182 KB, 961x941) Image search: [Google]
snowcity.png
182 KB, 961x941
Hello everyone, I'm back

>>26613616
thanks, it took a while but its not like I made every asset myself, there's tons of public scripts and tutorials out there for anyone to use

>>26613740
thanks, art is I'd say 70% done in this game, so places have completely new assets and some are stuck looking like gen 3. I don't need anything in particular, but if you see something not flowing well with the art style and want to help out, that would be amazing.

>>26615993
I just ran through town and didn't have any walking issues, are you sure? If you could point them out I can double check.

>>26617812
Here, have the city that goes along with it

>>26619174
One of my favorite parts about the snow area is that there's actually two ways, each with their own dungeon and route, to get up there to the snowy city/gym.
>>
>>26620514
This is bullshit. My computer won't stay on long enough to play the game. It keeps freezing out.
>>
Huh. Downloaded it, but there's no sound. The music all seems to be there in the audio folder though.
>>
>>26620792
What? The original post is deleted so I dont have a clue what your talking about.

>>26620987
Did you extract the audio .rar? It has to be a folder, not the compressed thing.
>>
>>26621241
I downloaded via the 'easy' link, so everything is supposed to already be in the right place, right?
I guess I'll have to download everything again the tedious way...
>>
>>26621401
I'll recheck the easy thing when I get home, If its there I dont know why it wouldnt be working.
Anyone else using easy having similar issues?
>>
This looks really interesting I'll be glad to try it for you when I wake up tomorrow. Even if it turns out 100% shit it's still really cool that you did this all by yourself. Is there an Essentials Wiki or something similar I could use as a starting guide if I wanted to get into this? I know you need RPG maker but I'm not sure which version or anything like that.
>>
>>26621550
You use RPGmaker XP and the essentials wiki is http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki
>>
its pretty cool so far. I liked the starter choices. Do I get running shoes later on or and I supposed to be able to run from the start? Z does nothing and I'm leaving the first town.
>>
>>26607846
for gba?
>>
File: fuck permissions.png (24 KB, 514x411) Image search: [Google]
fuck permissions.png
24 KB, 514x411
>>26619337
Fix the permissions in the column.
>>
>>26621401
>>26621457
Never mind, I downloaded all the seperate links and followed the instructions and still have the same problem. And it's not like there's an error or something, everything runs fine, there's just no sound. I suppose it must be a problem on my end.
>>
>>26621457
Nope, I used the easy link and it works fine.
>>
File: sand.png (101 KB, 1282x637) Image search: [Google]
sand.png
101 KB, 1282x637
>>26621813
You get the running shoes in the second town, from your rival.

>>26622027
essentials

>>26622051
fixed, but I don't know why this is happening because the player should be prohibited from going up not only the sandy edge, but the rocky ones too.

>>26622558
That's odd, It must just be a you problem if others aren't having the problem

I'm going to put out a small update in a moment that fixes a few issues, like the Ocean Town ledge and the Mountain City NE House glitch. In the meantime, here's a annoying desert route, everyone's favorite.
Just curious, how far has everyone gotten?
>>
>>26622735
I can't go on with the game because it gives me an error when brendan wants to fight, is it a bug?
>>
File: 5754b4ec1f876.png (16 KB, 434x294) Image search: [Google]
5754b4ec1f876.png
16 KB, 434x294
>>26622787
Pic related
>>
>>26622888
hmm, I'm no coder so Im not sure what to think of it. Is the battlers folder inside the graphics, and extracted?
The game gives you an error if it can't find the graphic for the Pokemon, I know that.
>>
>>26623063
Oh fuck you're right, I skipped that part. Thank you, it works.
>>
Hey man, I'm excited to try your game. Not sure when I'll complete it, but I know I'm gonna be without internet sometime soon. Maybe I'll send you an anon message on the tumblr mentioned on your resources when I am done.
>>
File: alchemistcrash.png (48 KB, 580x496) Image search: [Google]
alchemistcrash.png
48 KB, 580x496
This happens when I reach the double battle with brendan against the thugs
What do, I looked around all the folders everything seems extracted properly, I used the easy download
>>
>>26623421
yeah thats definitely an issue, and its screwed up recently too since it was working in the past.
It's always heartbreaking seeing crashes, I hope you saved recently. I'll upload a fix when I work one out
>>
>>26623506
Yeah, thankfully I had saved. I was actually expecting the rival to pull a gary and fight me with my half dead (but evolved) team after that long ass fucking trek. Also, if I may suggest something : speed surfing up. Like, really. Make it running shoes speed, it's already a chore to have to carry a 55 bp move throughout the game (I'd buff it to 65 bp, it's Bubblebeam or Brine level, a bit more bearable), making Surf slow as fuck with all the Tentacools is the last nail in the coffin.

Other than that, I've been really enjoying it so far, it's just as hard as it needs to be and the 'mon distribution is okay.
>>
File: wewlad.png (26 KB, 514x412) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
26 KB, 514x412
>>26623561
I've fixed the problem, and I've uploaded a fix, it had to deal with an older version of elite battle.
Updating is as simple as doing the exe again and copying the music and battlers again, or just doing the entire easy install again.
>>
>>26623727
I'm an idiot, what do I need to download now ? And I didn't need to install anything, I just extracted the archive from the easy download and ran game.exe ?_?
>>
>>26623845
after re-reading my post, that explanation was awful.
Since you used easy install, just do it again.

For anyone using the complicated install, simply run the updated .exe, and copy over the battlers and music folders, since their unchanged.

Save files should stay because RPGMaker only needs the game to have the same name to use the file.
>>
File: ye.jpg (38 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
ye.jpg
38 KB, 398x500
>>26623870
Alright, thanks, I'll do that. It'll take a while to download everything since I have shit countryside internet since I'm staying at my parents', and I'll tell you if it works. Thanks for the quick fix, anyway.
>>
>>26613587
>>26619337
I like the snow area a lot of but it reminds me a lot of snowpoint
>>
I wanna play the fuck out of this OP, but I'm an ignoramous. I need to be spoonfed exactly how to download it, but I'll play it all night while I'm at work, and I'll be at work at 11 EST until 7 am.
>>
>>26624062
download the easy download, and extract it.
>>
Okay, Veeporeon is back with hopefully a computer that won't freeze after 15 seconds of doing anything. To watch my stream of this game, my twitch is /veeporeon
>>
>>26624154
Nope, my computer still freezes while doing anything. Rip.
>>
>>26624203
I'll try and set the stream up on my laptop but I don't know what the fuck is going on with my desktop
>>
File: How its done.png (540 KB, 1254x753) Image search: [Google]
How its done.png
540 KB, 1254x753
I'm a macfag, so I'm gonna explain how to play this for other filthy macfags.
1.Download Wine+Wine bottler combo
2.Right on .exe and select "open with..."
3.Select wine
4.Run the program without using winebottler to turn it into an app.
5.Congrats, you did it retard.

Not too hard, see?
>>
>>26607846
I've got a general question from someone who isn't very experienced in essentials games.

Is it impossible to add attack animations in these hacks? The biggest thing that throws me off of these as opposed to the ROM hacks is when I go to attack and every attack just plays a default tackle style animation. Is it just impossible or extremely complicated to the point that nobody wants to take the time?
>>
File: bjkhbkub.png (38 KB, 802x695) Image search: [Google]
bjkhbkub.png
38 KB, 802x695
>>26624707
its complicated and honestly not worth the time
where do you even begin, just look at all this
>>
>>26624787
That doesn't look that hard. I mean, it looks like standard RPG Maker animation maker. Add frames and done. Question is: if anyone made any animations.
>>
>>26624787
I see. I'll have to take this into consideration and give some of these games a second chance. Still would be cool to see an essentials game one day with a complete set of attack animations though.
>>
>>26624218
This is it. New computer and everything. I am finally going to stream this.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-05+at+09.34.03).png (39 KB, 1021x761) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-05+at+09.34.03).png
39 KB, 1021x761
We talked about this mom....

>>26624972
idk man. I'm streaming it just fine.
>>
File: mapRegion0.png (603 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
mapRegion0.png
603 KB, 480x320
Thanks to the help of /veeporeon I've fixed a ton of different stuff and uploaded a new patch. I decided to forgo the old way of downloading for the new easy way only.

Here's a horrible map of the region for those interested in progression, you start in the bottom left. If anyone more competent with map-making can show me a good tutorial or something, that would really help.
>>
>>26621798
thanks man probably won't ever do anything with it but at least I know where to start. just started the download as well will have feedback for you sooner or later
>>
Pretty cool. Take my bump.
>>
Enjoying it so far. You really captured the feel of the GBA games which are the ones I remember most fondly but you included a lot of the best stuff from B/W and DPP so it’s really fun to play but I’m sure I’m coloring your intentions with my nostalgia. Worst thing is that the in battle item menu malfunctions often for me. I sometimes can’t use anything besides berries and sometimes can’t use an item I have selected; particularly annoying when trying to catch things.
>>
I'm really enjoying the aesthetics of your overworld, OP. I've been thinking about playing Black Version since I still have yet to play the Gen 5 games, but I may just play this instead. I especially love the town with the river flowing through the bottom that you posted. I'm not sure how to explain the vibe I'm getting, but maybe "mountainous/Northwest US" feel? Either way, it's great.
>>
>>26628531
nevermind my dumbass figured out you're supposed to use the mouse for the item menus not the arrow keys
>>
>>26628724
>>26628531
haha thats pretty funny man, there's a addon for mouse support but I just didn't consider it too useful.

>>26628723
I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much!
>>
This is preatty good overall.
This is just nit picking but you could maybe integrat a costumisation or maybe a pallet swap to the trainer (purple red).
>I dont really like purple
But this is really good game.
>>
File: WTF.png (100 KB, 1120x838) Image search: [Google]
WTF.png
100 KB, 1120x838
Are the shines chances the same?
I just cought one.
>>
Here you go faggot

Played about 1.5 hours in, looking at details, spelling, visual effects

http://imgur.com/a/wYzJ7

Not listed on there, the staircase outside of our house you can walk to the left of it where you shouldnt be able to walk.

In the same starting town there is a small part of water effects? to the right of the northern most house.
>>
>>26629269
also caught myself a qt shiny growlithe with my very last pokeball
>>
enjoying the game so far OP. although one of the buildings in Ember City (had a different colored door and a karate guy inside I think) traps you when you try and leave so you may want to fix that.

who else daru-baka here?
>>
Im currently not too far into the game, but is there a way to evolve trade-evos?
>>
File: possibly a glitch.png (39 KB, 545x429) Image search: [Google]
possibly a glitch.png
39 KB, 545x429
>>
File: how the fuck did i get up here.png (29 KB, 514x411) Image search: [Google]
how the fuck did i get up here.png
29 KB, 514x411
>>26622735
Pls send halp
>>
>>26629016
>>26629275
100/65536

>>26629269
thank you for this, fixed it all

>>26629788
fixed, thank you

>>26630983
there's a trade stone, available around the 3rd gym

>>26632525
this was fixed in an update

>>26631070
I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to fix this
>>
File: inaccessible.png (68 KB, 514x822) Image search: [Google]
inaccessible.png
68 KB, 514x822
So I just played the game for a bit more than an hour and reached Ember City. Liked it so far, but ran into some issues. Two minor ones (see pic) and a major one: the Pokédex doesn't seem to work. I can open it in the menu, but the only thing I can do is exit it. Either I'm stupid and haven't figured out something simple or then there's something weird going on.

Bottom pic has two strange ground tiles. The corners I've circled have water animation.

Top pic is an inaccessible spot. It's above the mountain town pokemart. No reason why I shouldn't be able to walk there, but I can't.
>>
File: wtf.png (7 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
7 KB, 256x192
>>26634208
I've fixed the inaccessible spot, but those tiny little water animations I can't fix (I believe)

the way sand works, it automatically forms just by placing it, so it makes those corners.
for some reason it just wont let me place just a tile of sand, no corners, so those little animations you see are a necessary evil
>>
>>26622558
>>26622735
Welp, got the sound to work. Turns out I'm a bigger idiot than I thought. Somehow sound was disabled in the properties menu of the game window, no idea how that happened.
So far, a small touch I really enjoy is the little descriptions when checking out the environment, like learning various facts about the region when checking out bookshelves or Oak's mailbox being full and your character going "Hmm, he must not be home often". Things like that really help make your region feel more real.
>>
>>26624972
So should I get the new version before streaming again?
>>
>>26634588
thanks, i thought a lot of little details like that would go unseen

>>26634641
yeah probably
>>
>>26634703
Okay, re-dling. I also changed my twitch. Find me at /vlaceon.
>>
Can I update it without losing my progress?
>>
>>26635423
yes, saves are good.
>>
>>26635445
Yeah but I mean do i just redownload everything and it will stay?
>>
>>26635470
yes, saves are stored in the C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\GAMENAME
so unless you go out of your way to delete it, you're good
>>
>>26632776
Can you hit me up with a link senpai? I used the easy download.
>>
>>26635535
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4POqmbcEPjXYmpTSEotd0FIZTQ/view?usp=sharing
>>
>the Jessica fight
>>
File: 1465188432283.png (46 KB, 635x582) Image search: [Google]
1465188432283.png
46 KB, 635x582
>>26626754
>>
File: 1465267458983.png (47 KB, 635x582) Image search: [Google]
1465267458983.png
47 KB, 635x582
>>26638911
>mt banana
thats pretty funny, your criticisms are very fair.
The map could benefit from a few bonus connections to make the player feel more inclined to go back to other towns.

The map I posted is a real piece of garbage though, nothing is to scale. Where you recommended a port city, it doesn't take more than a minute to get back to the central city. The city near the desert where you recommended to move, is not as far from the cave as it seems.

Thank you for this though, I've always had critiques on town and city layout, not region. I'll heavily consider adding some new, explorable routes to emphasize coming back to certain cities. Maybe some new water routes to the left of the map, and a mountainous trek downwards, from the mountain to a desert city.

If anyone is experienced with making Pokemon world maps, and willing to assist in the making of a non garbage one, I would love that by the way
>>
As someone struggling with essentials seeing that one person made this, even if it has it's flaws, actually kind of makes me inspired.
>>
>come out of Ember Cave
>look around town for Pokemon Center
>can't find one, but explore while I'm at it
>talk to NPC in building
>battle with no warning
>highest levels of any NPC so far
fuck that
>>
>>26639471
all you had to go was up to find the pokecenter, but if you got into a battle inside the warehouse- I think it was pretty obvious some trainers were coming. Or am I wrong? Did anyone else think that area was trainer safe- or?

The cafe I understand though, and I added a sign outside to call it a battle cafe, just to give some forewarning
>>
>>26639551
It was the cafe, I must just have not read the sign. Also frustrating since my team is just Cyndaquil and Buizel rn, so zero defensive capabilities
>all you had to do was go up
It was either that or down

Anyway, other random thoughts / complaints / criticisms:
- Lots of comma splices in the dialogue (and other little grammar things, but this is the most common by far)
- Really good distribution for this early in the game, though you could probably afford to have some normal types thrown in too
- The routes look great but they're also very long for this point in the game, making it tough to backtrack. For instance my Buizel still doesn't know any Water moves, but if I wanted to pick up a Poliwag or something it would be a long round trip
- Excited to get something with headbutt so I can shake some trees - is there a TM / tutor?
>>
>>26639645
Ooh, I can help with that one! It's in the radio tower!
>>
>>26639551
>>26639645

Oh yeah, my other main gripe: UI and controls are taking some serious getting used to, esp. Start = B (making B less mashable for getting through conversations, etc.) and the in-battle UI, where it switches from mouse control to button control in the Pokemon tab but not Bag or Fight. Having the start menu come up over the whole screen also makes it slower to exit, which I find myself frequently doing as I'll hit X instead of Z to run.

Game is a lot of fun though. Doing my best to catch Rotom while watching QI XL in bed. It's comfy
>>
>>26639645
I just added the sign, since I realized it wasn't good design to throw people into a situation like that like your post pointed out.

Thanks for all the other thoughts too, throwing in some early game normals wouldn't be bad at all. I think going through and re-typing all my grammer where I overuse commas would be a lot of work, but if I read anything particularly terrible on a stream or something I'll go ahead and fix it. I wrote a lot of early game dialogue when I was in a class that really pushed me to write better, so I think overusing commas like a moron reflects on that. Shortening the routes is a good idea, since the game does want you to climb back down after the first gym. I think I'll throw in some jumpable ledges to make the experience less excruciating.
>>
File: 1416283614939.jpg (19 KB, 380x254) Image search: [Google]
1416283614939.jpg
19 KB, 380x254
>>26639731
holy shit you can use your mouse in battle
I've been using keyboard controls the entire time
oh my god im the biggest idiot ever
I'm going to put in mouse support for the rest of the menus, rather than keeping it inconsistent
thank you
>>
>>26639794
No prob, I only noticed myself when the cursor (selecting Fight/Run/etc.) would ignore my arrow key controls if my mouse was outside the window (because it would "think" the mouse was still at the edge of the screen)

I could take or leave the mouse controls personally, consistency is really the biggest thing
>>
File: 1446863144086.jpg (13 KB, 512x397) Image search: [Google]
1446863144086.jpg
13 KB, 512x397
>>26639731
>not using superior keyboard controls
>>
>>26639836

I wanted to but >>26639833

feels weird clicking on a window that i think of s a gameboy screen / DS top screen
>>
>Day and night cycle
>Integrates keyboard to type
>isnt VGA or the gay DS one
>animated sprites
good things from generations that they drop from others all in one.
>berries
>headbutt trees
I LOVE YOU OP
maps are awesome btw
>>
Good: Slowpoke surprising me on Route 1 after a little while of looking for other pokes

Bad: Level 2 and doesn't learn any attacking moves till level 9

Most of the wild Poliwag also don't have any attacking moves lol
>>
>>26640589
glad you're enjoying it

>>26640589
it learns bubble at 5, so I'll change them all to level 3 or 4 so it isn't a pain to get them moves

Is there any normal Pokemon people want in particular in route 1 or 2? I'm adding taillow to route 2 and probably pidgey to route 1, but I figured I'd ask for some suggestions
>>
File: 1399501157544s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1399501157544s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>26641036
Zigzagoon is always good for HM purposes.

I don't have time to play this yet because I have to go to bed, but I just wanted to say that it's really incredible that you've managed to make a whole game by yourself Anon. Seriously awesome work, even for the flaws here and there.
>>
My game keeps soft locking after I beat the Blue Ribbon boss. The police show up but say nothing and I can't move or open a menu or talk to anyone is there a fix for this?
>>
>>26607846
I have a weird issue where the game behaves as though I am constantly pressing the up arrow, and therefore making selections in menus and stuff is impossible. This is probably just an issue on my end, but I have no idea how to resolve it.
>>
>>26641402
not OP but your mouse affects the menus try moving it that fixed it for me
>>
>>26641391
It was in issue with a Police Officer not being able to walk up, sadly a side effect from when I replaced the building graphics in the city, and I overlooked it. I've uploaded a fix. You'll be able to progress further now.

>>26641402
This is the first I've heard of it, so it's probably an issue on your end like you said. Maybe somethings stuck in your W key?
what >>26641422 said may also be the case, in the new update mouse support has been disabled however.

new update out, fixes glitch in graphite city, new pokemon route 1/2 (normal types), mouse support gone
>>
>>26641491
Disabling mouse support seemed to have fixed whatever issue I was having. Thanks OP!
>>
>>26641603
>>26641491
I stand corrected, the problem seems to be tied to the fact that enter and c fill the same function. Once it starts happening even restarting the game doesn't spare me. I know it's still likely something on my end, so I'll try and figure it out. Can we remap the keyboard controls anywhere, by chance?
>>
>>26641491
thanks for fixing that really enjoying the game so far. if you're still looking for Pokemon to add I'd suggest Lickitung and Bidoof.
>>
>>26641613
Earlier I tried to install a script that let you re-map controls, but it for whatever reason didn't work. Currently, you can't, which sucks.

>>26641614
Lickitung is a bit further in the game, near 4th gym, which I feel is a fair location. Bidoof, upon searching for it, is in the Safari Zone of all places. I could add him earlier and that would work well.

I'm probably going to head to bed, the threads survived a few nights now but nights are always unpredictable. seeya guys, hope no major glitches are discovered
>>
File: shenanigans.jpg (42 KB, 534x435) Image search: [Google]
shenanigans.jpg
42 KB, 534x435
As long as you don't hit enter after you've hit c, things seem to be okay... up to a point, pic related, I can't name anything because it auto-fills with a stream of a's it seems to think I'm holding down. I have no idea what's triggering this but I'll keep at it.
>>
I downloaded this over a day ago how do I update it?
>>
>>26641755
Just redownload the game, the save file works across multiple updates
>>
>>26641726
The letters that appear when I try to backspace the a's seem to change every time I click out of the game windows. w, d, c, a, b, and l have all made an appearance. Eventually I managed to backspace them and hit enter to use the default name.

Sometimes the control fuckery prevents me from doing things like saving and making menu selections, but if I leave the game alone long enough it seems to reset itself control-wise? I have no idea what it's doing, but I'll keep trying to work it out because I seem to be the only one having this problem.

My bitching aside though, this region is beautiful anon, and I love the music choices I've seen so far. I'm having a good time, all things considered. This is really cool.
>>
File: alchemist bug.jpg (230 KB, 526x418) Image search: [Google]
alchemist bug.jpg
230 KB, 526x418
Entered this mansion in the first town. When I exit it, I appear here. I can only move down, and when I do so I just enter the mansion again, so I'm stuck.
>>
File: pathing bug I think.png (53 KB, 533x425) Image search: [Google]
pathing bug I think.png
53 KB, 533x425
Can't seem to progress through the second gym. What I presume is the Leader's secretary calls me over but never begins talking so I end up soft locked like with the police officer.
>>
>>26641837
Happened to me too, redownload the game.
>>
>>26643469
I only need to redownload the .exe, right?
>>
>>26644768
The whole thing. Your save is safe anyway.
>>
>>26642330
>I could beat the gym
>My friend could beat the gym
>random ??? whatever blah suddenly fucks it over for everyone else trying to test it

legitimately frustrating, I just want people to play it without having it screw up every 10 minutes, sorry, it's been fixed,

update now out that fixes some things in Graphite City
>>
>>26645843
Man you are on it with these bug fixes OP are you sure there's only one of you? Still really liking the game.
>>
>>26645987
thanks and yeah, just me. i would have been faster but that one happened while I was asleep
>>
Quick question how do you evolve Scyther? I found a metal coat and a linkstone but neither seem to work. Also the Orre Easter Egg was awesome but the vendor crashed my game. It was totally worth it for the music though.
>>
>>26646782
put the metal coat on the scyther and then use the link stone on it.

In the update I'm now dubbing: the mart update, I've fixed the sandstorm stand glitch and added sounds when buying/selling something, thanks to the wonderful script by LaDestitute
>>
>>26646961
That's got it should have thought of that. You'll be pleased to know that the sand town (including the mine) is glitch free as far as I can tell. The mine is a neat concept by the way seems like a natural addition to the games.
>>
Anon with the controls issue here, it's still fucked on my end, but I can work around the inability to name things by changing each of the auto-typed letters one at a time. It's still tedious to fight against the spam of a single letter but it's doable as long as I make the last letters of the name into spaces. I tried changing the controls via F1 but no luck there. Was worth a shot though.

That aside, I haven't run into any major problems yet, and the game hasn't crashed on me! This seems pretty solid all things considered.
>>
>Jessica's Magby uses Belly Drum
>Attack maxed out!
>Rotom uses Confuse Ray
>Magby hit itself in it confusion!
>Kills itself in one hit
Hmmmm it feels so good
>>
>>26647429
you're very dedicated, but there's really not much I can do on my end. you could always try an on screen keyboard
>>
>>26647733
I'm actually considering grabbing a controller and seeing if it will let me play it that way. But as it stands now it's really not too much trouble to deal with. I'm really looking forward to playing through this during the wait for SM info, this is really comfy.

Also I found the first easter egg screenshot of the beta game art and anon, your mapping has come a long way. It's honestly inspiring that you've, on your own, made a whole damn game. Kudos!
>>
Epic job, op. Curious about development tool and scripts tho. Can you elaborate ?
>>
>>26647948
The project is made in RPGMaker XP, a majority of the assets are ripped gen iv tiles, or custom ones made by people in the community. Music gen iv, v
Some custom scripts are in the game, such as Elite Battle, and available online for everyone to use and massively improve the game.
>>
Since there's no other thread about this up, I'll ask here. Are there only rom hacking tools up to third gen? I'm bored and want to dick around with it a bit, but only having access to up to gen 3 is going to be a huge pain in the ass...
>>
>>26649753

Also, if it is only up to third gen, would it be advised to work with Emerald or FR/LG?
>>
>>26649753
>>26649767
I've been out of the romhack scene for a bit, so I may be outdated, but out of gens 1-3 theres basically nothing. I always preferred firered, and theres tons of toolpacks out there to get you started
>>
Hey OP, you should add a changelog onto the Google Doc, just so we can know what bugs we don't have to avoid anymore.
>>
>>26649753
I think there are ways to adjust minor things in the later gens owing to the difficulty hacks around, but I don't think there's anything on the order of the tools for Gen3 and older -- but other people would probably know better than I would because I'm a filthy casual about things like this. Gen 3 (FireRed especially) is wide-open for the editing, though.
>>
File: sol.png (36 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
sol.png
36 KB, 480x320
>>26639071
This is a really good game. I have minor qualms, but overall it's not what I was expecting, especially from one person. I kinda expected edgy shit like Reborn.

I tried to make my own game a long time ago, but it's fuck hard when you're just one person. Congratulations on getting near complete. I barely got done with the first gym in mine.

Since you weren't too happy with your world map, I could take a crack at it. I can't guarantee it will be better though.

>>26649753
No, and there's even romhacking tools for Gen 6. It really comes down to how experienced you are. Gen 3 is the most recommended because of all of the tools available that make it easy. Gen 4 is much easier than it was now, along with Gen 5. Gen 6 requires a lot of hacking knowledge and such, as not very many tools exist out there.
>>
>>26652387
that's a really nice worldmap, with a really interesting layout. If you could have a crack at a worldmap, that would be awesome. It's definitely going to be better than the crap I have in the game.
>>
>>26652502
>really interesting layout
It's Florida, with Cuba below and Bermuda to the right. Pokemon maps have never been exact replicas of their region, so obviously a bunch of shit was added to make it more interesting.
Thanks.
Now, in order for the world map to work, it does have to match with the in-game overworld. I haven't really gotten that far yet, so I don't really know how everything connects up. I don't exactly want to create a route or something that's not actually there, if you know what I mean. Unless you're open to suggestions, but I don't want to make you work more than you have already done.

I noticed on the other post you marked out some things and added extra water routes. What exactly does the in-game overworld layout as? Is it similar to the map now?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (3 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
3 MB, 5000x5000
>>26652922
so I've been laying out the actual region, and it doesnt exactly work perfectly lol
perfectly recreating isnt a priority though
I'll post a mock up of what the map should look like, even if it doesn't fit together perfectly

if you're not interested in spoiling some of the places in the region I haven't shown don't click this.

the mock up of what the map should look like is here http://i.imgur.com/EE3PZDZ.png
circle - city
hexagon thing - cave/forest
square - route
>>
Post 4chan freeze page 7 bump, thanks hiroyuki
>>
I found some pathing issues in the dessert and Oasis Town. Nothing game breaking but you can't jump down most ledges, you can walk on the oasis in oasis town, you can walk on the houses in oasis town and walk over the railings in oasis town. In the desert to the west of oasis town you can walk over most of the walls so you can go through the route without using the underground pass.

Also are you supposed to go to Cobblestone Cave after Oasis Town? Only reason I ask is the level curve seems to spike quite a bit; your rival has almost 10 levels on the ex gym leader in Oasis. I'm not under-leveled or anything just seems like a big spike.

I don't mean to sound like I'm only criticizing you the game is awesome. I liked your Safari Zone more than any of the ones in the official games just trying to help you track down the minor issues.
>>
File: issu1.png (117 KB, 1037x713) Image search: [Google]
issu1.png
117 KB, 1037x713
WELP IM STUCK
>>
>>26654977
The brown door does nothing also, i can walk on it and walk into the purple door

still get stuck when leaving.
>>
Bampu for the nice hack
>>
File: alchemist item.jpg (290 KB, 526x417) Image search: [Google]
alchemist item.jpg
290 KB, 526x417
Picking up this item outside of Graphite Forest crashes the game
>>
File: alchemist item crash.jpg (209 KB, 602x509) Image search: [Google]
alchemist item crash.jpg
209 KB, 602x509
>>26656484
Here's the popup
>>
There was also no battle music during the Blue Ribbon fight with Brendan.
>>
>>26607854
I'll start playing it
>>
File: iywgfwo.png (22 KB, 514x409) Image search: [Google]
iywgfwo.png
22 KB, 514x409
>>26656484
fixed, along with the black to the left and a couple of tree issues I overlooked

>>26654977
this was fixed earlier in an update

>>26657016
sounds good!

>>26654947
I've fixed the issues in Oasis and the Desert and yes, that is supposed to be the correct path.
The level curve has always bothered me post Oasis, because it's a massive spike, but sort of stagnates at that level. I'll try bringing some earlier stuff down but I'm not sure how perfect it'll work. Glad you're enjoying it so much though.

>>26656619
are you sure? it played just fine for me. can anyone else vouch for him?

Large update coming out soon that fixes stuff towards the middle of the game, patchnotes will change when I post it
>>
>fan game isn't stupidly ambitious
>gets the backbone done fast instead of spending 8 years on the first routes
>releases and just focuses on bug fixing
Good work anon.
>>
>>26658744
>are you sure?
Yup. No music, only sound effects.
Also, after that I went back to grind, and noticed I couldn't Surf because I had someone with me or someone joined me or whatever (even though I didn't have anyone following me or anything). When I turned around I pressed A it said something like "Should I stop following you?", to which I replied yes, after which my game crashed. I'm assuming this has something to do with the double battle with Brendan vs the Blue Ribbon?
>>
Gonna start playing, what should I name the protag?
>>
File: alchemist shiny.jpg (57 KB, 643x513) Image search: [Google]
alchemist shiny.jpg
57 KB, 643x513
Just encountered a trainer's shiny ekans whilst in ember city, fuck my luck man
>>
>>26659495
It's supposed to be shiny
>>
>>26659449
DICKS
>>
File: 9658760908.jpg (104 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
9658760908.jpg
104 KB, 500x500
>>26659857
Fug
>>
>>26659439
Ok, So I've looked a lot into the 'stop following', and I believe I have fixed it. That ones odd, but I tested winning, losing and more on the battles and it seems to have gone away.
As for the music. again, I had mine play. Very weird glitch!

I've uploaded a new patch that fixes a potential crash regarding the Brendan double battle in Graphite.
>>
>>26659439
Not OP but I noticed alt tabbing sometimes bugs the music did you do that/click outside the window at any point?
>>
Bump for your good project and no time to continue playing your game. I used to work on VX Ace btw.
>>
Hey OP I know you said you were working on a large patch but I found some bugs around Resort City and a couple of general ones:

Sucker punch doesn’t seem to need an attacking move to be successful.

Moxie doesn’t work I don’t think aftermath does either, but I had trouble finding a second drifblim with the ability to test this sorry.

TM store on mart 3rd floor and stone stores on 4th floor crashes game

Can’t go into game corner

Lookers item crashes the game

That stuff aside Resort City is really neat. Lots of meaningful stuff to do and places to explore.
>>
>>26653376
>that fucking loss
rofl
>>
Another slight bug I noticed, is that sitrus berries seem to only heal for 11 HP.
>>
File: yay.png (21 KB, 508x408) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
21 KB, 508x408
>>26662215
All of the Resort City crashes/glitches have been fixed.

I've also updated the game from v15 to v16.2 of essentials, which may fix those move/ability glitches.

>>26661749
thanks for the bump

>>26662471
it's been in the middle of the city for so long I just sorta forgot about it lol

>>26662726
sitrus berries heal by %

big update is now out that fixes/updates a variety of things
Since this is an entire engine update thing, please let me know if anything goes wrong. after just doing random stuff for 10 minutes, nothing seemed off but you never know
>>
http://imgur.com/a/0u4kY Here's a couple things I've noticed so far. Didn't encounter any game breaking bugs yet, but I didn't get very far in.

Some other non buggy things:

I found the second town very hard to navigate. It looks nice as a full screenshot, but the area was so large and with the tiny game screen I had no idea where I was going. On the other hand, I really enjoyed Ember City's layout.

I had an issue with walking with poisoned pokemon at dusk flashing multiple colors instead of just red, but I haven't been able to recreate it since. I might have imagined it

Are there any other versions of the trees in the autumn forest available? They look nice, but in my opinion they don't work for repeating tiles as well as the pine trees do. You might wanna consider adding in one or two other variations of it. The mix of different gen sprites in one game was also kind of jarring for me, but I figured graphics weren't a big priority.

Overall, pretty good OP. I've been having fun.
>>
File: ocean.png (157 KB, 1925x637) Image search: [Google]
ocean.png
157 KB, 1925x637
>>26663321
Thank you for this, I've gone through and fixed the various things you've posted.
As for the surfing speed, it was actually increased with the newest update, making it not diamond/pearl horribly slow. I'll look into putting more variety into Graphite Forest.

I'm not sure about making the ocean routes more interesting, anyone have any suggestions? They already have some trainers and islands but I'm not too sure what else to add to spice them up. red dots = people/trainers
>>
File: Capture.jpg (62 KB, 628x492) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
62 KB, 628x492
>>26663985
I started a new game and got this. Happened while leaving Mountain City and talking to the Boss and Brendan.
>>
>>26664418
I'm looking into it, but did you have to start a new game when you updated?
>>
>>26664489
Yeah. I tried to get the new download to recognize my save for quite some time before giving up.

The new download has the same name/location as before and my old save file is still in the Saved Games folder, but I only had the option to start a new one.
>>
>>26664418
>>26664571

I've fixed the pokeball error and I've uploaded a new patch where I re-fixed the game name. It's back to Pokemon Alchemist, not Pokemon Essentials, which should allow people to keep their saves if I'm guessing correctly.
>>
File: new.png (434 KB, 1379x1246) Image search: [Google]
new.png
434 KB, 1379x1246
giving the ol' page nine bump with a brand spanking new Graphite Forest, now available for download.
>>
>>26666295
Cool
>>
>>26666295
That looks really cool

Also the move deleter crashed my game when I talked to him.
>>
I CAN'T BEAT FUCKING BRANDON HIS GAYASS OSSHAWOT CHEATS AND SUDDENLY HITS FIRST WHEN MY CYNDAQUILL WAS FASTER THE FIRST 3 HITS
>>
How come I get so low fps
>>
File: Godot_Sniffing_Coffee.gif (31 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Godot_Sniffing_Coffee.gif
31 KB, 256x192
I came back from the depths of hell to bump this thread.
>>
>>26671875
Thanks Godot.
>>
How do I git gud at spriting?
>>
File: comfy.png (76 KB, 511x410) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
76 KB, 511x410
Nothing beats waking up at the wonderful time of 2 o' clock in the afternoon and seeing your threads still up, thanks everyone

>>26669433
>>26667704
thank you guys, it was a serious improvement from before. I've also fixed the move deleter

>>26669880
git gud ;)

>>26669936
I've noticed worse performance in the newer, v16 essentials. Is there anyone with bad fps too? Not sure what I can do, but I could always post on the essentials forum, the guy is always very helpful.

>>26671875
thank you for the bump

>>26672448
you don't even need to be good at spriting to make a game, there's so many free assets out there, all you have to do is compile them

new update out that fixes a few small things
>>
File: contract.gif (5 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
contract.gif
5 KB, 64x64
>>26672448
I'm sure someone could help you with that, anon.

>>26673378
Thank you for all your hard work OP. This game is such a pleasure to play.
>>
so im kinda retarded at this emulating stuff but i want to try it. what emulator is this on?
>>
>>26673965
No emulator, you just run the game

>>26673421
Thank you

New update, fixes a few minor things like music but adds a beta tester mystery gift.
>>
>>26673378
hey OP, is there an easier way to get updates than redownloading the entire 600mb zip again? I have terrible internet and the download keeps failing for me.
>>
>>26674755
sadly thats the only way, there haven't been any MAJOR changes today aside from the move deleter, some music changes (evolution for example) and a little bit of collision in Graphite Forest.

Unless you downloaded today/late last night, I would recommend updating as it fixes some important potential crashes.
>>
>>26674959
Ok, I figured. I got it to work eventually.

Also, another anon earlier mentioned a crash with "Should I stop following you?" I got that same line earlier in Graphite City (though no crash). Is Brendan supposed to be fighting with me against the Blue Ribbon or something? Because I've been alone ever since the original fight.
>>
>>26675145
He fights with you initially, and during the final battle. Inbetween he shouldn't.
It seems, for whatever reason, Brendan just doesn't want to leave you alone.
I believe I've fixed it, again, and uploaded a fix.

New update out that fixes Gym Leaders last Pokemon music, New version of Elite Battle, and a fix for Brendan in Graphite.
>>
File: Wiki-background.jpg (142 KB, 960x854) Image search: [Google]
Wiki-background.jpg
142 KB, 960x854
Bumpity bump

Can't wait to try this

Here, have some Darkwatch art
>>
Hey OP, where can you change Rotom's form if anywhere?

Game's great
>>
may be a dumb question..Do I need some kind of emulator to run this? I cant get the actual game to open for shit, even after extraction
>>
>>26676067
currently not yet.

>>26675839
thanks for the bump

>>26676275
nope, just run game.exe
if you're on mac, someone in the thread gave a tutorial on how to do it earlier
>>
>>26676333
You are the fucking man. Preciate you.
>>
>>26676333
nice trips. getting some crashes in ember city when picking up items.
>>
>>26676385
item balls, or people?
>>
>>26676385
item balls, i've tried the one beside the girl and the one at the bottom.

I dont even mind, it's just if they're key items or something
>>
>>26676454
They're Xspecial, and Xdefend.
I've fixed both. It isn't really worth uploading a big fix over two little items.

Everyone in Ember City, just be careful of the item balls.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (87 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
87 KB, 480x270
>>26676521
you rock m8.
>>
>>26676333
So everytime I throw a pokeball, an error message pops up, it takes the pokeball away without throwing it. Any tips?
>>
File: memes.png (25 KB, 512x410) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
25 KB, 512x410
>>26676689
Hmm, this is not good. It has to do with the newest version of Elite Battle. I've downgraded back to the previous version.

New update out that fixes Pokeballs, the items in Ember and a couple of other minor changes.
Elite Battle will be stuck in an older version until the original script maker fixes the issue.
>>
>>26634795
I haven't streamed in a while, but I'm about to as soon as I get the new update.
>>
>>26677070
So just redownload the rar?
>>
>>26677317
yes
>>
>>26677212
>>
File: Untitled.png (68 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
68 KB, 480x320
fugg

So far this is what I've gotten OP. Blah blah blah excuses blah blah blah. Other than spicing it up, this is pretty much the layout I've gotten in my head. I tried every possible way to "scrunch" it to look more like the game version, but it's physically not possible.

Who's that Pokemon? Pro-tip: There's two
>>
I'm interested in playing this, is it good?
Like, not as in quality, but as in function. Have all the kinks and errors mentioned in the thread been hammered out? Because being honest if anything goes wrong odds are I'm not gonna know what/how to do shit.
Also, do I need anything to play this? Or will the download itself be the game?
>>
>>26677887
I love it, reminds me of a painting. I'm not sure if it will work with essentials because I think the routes and towns need to be more like the map you initially posted.
This will certainly be the map that I show from now on though. I'll see if I can implement it in game, but I'm not sure.

>>26678085
Download itself is the game, and while I've hammered out a lot of stuff god only knows what'll show up. I recommend constantly saving, atleast once an area.
>>
Why did you decide to call it Alchemist?
FMA fan, other idea, or an in-game reason?
>>
File: 1444238013589.png (315 KB, 664x602) Image search: [Google]
1444238013589.png
315 KB, 664x602
>>26678485
Me and my friend thought the name sounded cool back when we made the first crappy romhack like six years ago. Alchemy literally has nothing whatsoever to do with anything in the game.
Stuck with it every since.
>>
>>26678110
lol it's nowhere near done yet I was just outlining where the routes and towns were. I don't know a lot about essentials, but I know the resolution needs to be 480x320 and align to grid with each square being 16x16, which I've already done.
>>
>>26678963
looks good, layout looks perfect, just need to make the routes/towns 16x16 like you said and it'll be perfect
>>
>>26659857
too many hue
>>
File: godot-deskslam-mug.gif (40 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
godot-deskslam-mug.gif
40 KB, 256x192
Ha...! Back to Page 1 with you!
>>
i love looking at these maps
>>
>>26607846
What do you think of essentials, OP? Is it easy/tough to get into for newbies? Any advice?
>>
File: Untitled.png (63 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
63 KB, 480x320
done
>>
>>26682316
I appreciate the bumps once again godot

>>26682542
thank you

>>26683013
Very easy to get into. the wiki may say know rpg maker but just go for it, lots of tutorials, etc. to help you along

>>26683104
God dang that looks amazing, the only thing is, and I didn't catch it before, is the top left city on the mainland should be on the coast, and the route doesn't go down like that to the right.

What do you want to be called in the credits when the maps in game?
>>
Stream for today is online
>>
>>26683392
I found something very odd
>>
new patch out that updates elite battle and fixes an odd trainer in the early game
>>
File: I am one with the house.png (56 KB, 512x408) Image search: [Google]
I am one with the house.png
56 KB, 512x408
I don't think old man Kurt enjoys hooligans climbing up on his house.
>>
File: Untitled.png (62 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
62 KB, 480x320
>>26683303
revised

It was mostly due to laziness. I had Luvdisc Island higher than I wanted but I it was too late to change it.

As for a name, idk. I've never had my name on anything before. So I guess just put "Some random mapfag on /vp/" I'm not much for receiving credit.
>>
how to receive mystery gift
>>
>>26683650
This has been fixed, thank you.

>>26683685
Thank you so much, you'll be forever immortalized in the credits scene of my game.

>>26683711
mystery gift should be unlocked when you start the game, and you can access it through the title menu
>>
File: bueno.jpg (47 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
bueno.jpg
47 KB, 546x366
>tfw timid cyndaquill
>>
File: worldmap.png (88 KB, 573x462) Image search: [Google]
worldmap.png
88 KB, 573x462
New update out featuring a brand new worldmap, as seen earlier in the thread. You can now fly around as well. A few glitches have been fixed too.
>>
>>26683791
You're welcome friend.

Maybe I'll finish work on my game too. Essentials seems to have come a long way now to make it easier, but it's still tedious as hell.
>>
>>26683392
Stream returns
>>
>>26684677
There's a bit of a problem.
>>
Hey OP just want you to know that I love the game and am redownloading now to get the most up to date version.

Just beat Matt, Rotom and Glameow mvp
>>
File: Waluigi.png (90 KB, 263x479) Image search: [Google]
Waluigi.png
90 KB, 263x479
Is the fucking protagonist Waluigi!!!???
>>
New update:
-removes mystery gift (zorua ability causing issues lol)
-rotom forms (resort city)
-eevee leafeon/glaceon
-fixed pokecenter event in graphite
-fixed some pesky doors in Graphite
-fixed music???

>>26685614
Just curious, did team rocket music play when you fought the grunts during that event? It seems to not be working for anyone but me. also sorry for updating right after you did, lol

>>26685676
it is a very waluigi purple, never thought about it
>>
>>26685800
So what happens with the people who have already picked up the mystery gift Zorua?
>>
I've shat out another update that changes the beta mystery gift.
I'm kinda sad I had to change it twice for one beta period but whatever.
The first Beta (back like a year ago, first /vp/ thread era) was a shiny Dratini
This beta WAS a shiny Zorua, but I had to make it something else, now it's a shiny Riolu

>>26686271
just be careful, might bug out in battle. Keep it for the sweet, buggy memories I guess.
>>
yo OP this looks pretty great, will do in a bit.
Just wanted to suggest, and this far into development it's probably unlikely to change, if you're going for a somewhat classic Pokemon style wouldn't a a more traditional name make sense? Instead of Alchemist, an alchemical material might be more appropriate - something like Pokemon Sulfur, Orichalcalcum, Mercury or Amber could be a better fit I think
>>
>>26607846
I downloaded it before the cop freeze after blue ribbon. how do i update it?
>>
>>26686444
As much sense as that makes, I'd rather keep the Alchemist name for more sentimental reasons, sorta explained >>26678532 there.

>>26686811
just redownload the game, the saves still work when you update
>>
The stream returns
>>
Page 9 bump. We just got leaks, so this thread might not survive the chaos, but I hope it does.
>>
File: moreinteresting.png (204 KB, 1613x914) Image search: [Google]
moreinteresting.png
204 KB, 1613x914
new update

-updated, mildy more interesting route 1
-fixed the abnormal desert weather
-couple balance changes, like blue ribbon encounter #2 levels
-fossil reviver in Flint Co.
-praying blue ribbon theme works

>>26689554
thank you
>>
Bumping for excellent game.
>>
File: 1465065186030.png (72 KB, 573x627) Image search: [Google]
1465065186030.png
72 KB, 573x627
>>26689986
Route *20, not 1

>>26691601
thanks

Well guys, with Corocoro and E3, not sure if this thread is gonna last. If it does die sometime soon, when would you guys like to see the next one?
>>
File: seel of approval.jpg (33 KB, 780x425) Image search: [Google]
seel of approval.jpg
33 KB, 780x425
>>26692060
This has honestly been really pleasant to lurk in, and I'll be sad to see it go. Maybe use your trip next time so we can find the thread more easily?

I think, since the game is progressing so quickly towards completion, having another thread after the E3 hype dies down would be as good a timing as any.

Is watching the google doc the best way to keep up-do-date on releases, or would you recommend something else? Also what should someone do if they find a major bug (crashing et al.)

Either way, you've done a good thing here OP. Thanks for giving me something to fill time with between now and SM, I genuinely appreciate all the work you've put into making something legitimately good.
>>
>>26692243
The thread and google doc have been the best for changes. In the future I'll probably have a relic castle / pokecommunity thread, but not until I'd consider the game 99% done.
If there's some major glitch, and the thread is gone, you can contact me
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=608354
http://reliccastle.com/forums/member.php?action=profile&uid=1857#comments/1
or even steam, same username
Although, I would prefer getting a good ol' (You) in this thread, as long as it's up. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.
>>
>>26692343
Here's hoping it lasts through the night. I'd stick around to bump it, but I honestly should have been asleep an hour ago. I'll save your contact info just in case the thread does die though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.