[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The future of Gamefreak/Pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Ash tear.jpg (42 KB, 616x474) Image search: [Google]
Ash tear.jpg
42 KB, 616x474
I expect the core three (Satoshi Tajiri, Junichi Masuda, & Ken Sugmori) to retire together or within months of each other soon after Gen 7's release. They've progressively had less responsibilities in game development (of their own volition) in recent years, grooming their successors. We've gotten hints like Yusuke Ohmura being heavily involved with art direction from BW on & Shigeru Omori handpicked as director for Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire by Masuda himself. I can't recall the context, but I remember initial discussion about "Pokemon Rainbow" included something hinting toward a "final game" -- but I could be misremembering. With Iwata's passing and recent infrastructure changes as Nintendo that looks like the company could be steering towards a sales-motivated direction instead of the innovative-focused one they've had for years, there could be other reasons why they step out beyond the fact that 20 years is as good a time as any to hand over the reigns to someone else. It's possible the re-release of RBY was also the beginning commencement of their departures.

Sugimori has said he wants the series to revert to simplicity design-wise and Masuda's focus is on a bigger platform to get players out of their houses more. Design-wise, Ohmura's contributions are promising (XY legends) & Omori has shown he's capable of great ideas like DexNav.

I think it's time the series changes hands because I think the series needs it. We've had some great ideas but the last three generations generally do not rank as most user's favorite from what I've observed. What I don't anticipate is the end of Pokemon -- no chance the franchise ends regardless who's in charge.

What do you think /vp/? Are you ready for a fresh direction or do you fear the series will lose guidance?
>>
Nah and the franchise is perfect as it is.
>>
I fucking hopeso. Damn old farts keeping theirjobs for way too long has always been an issue with nippon
>>
>>26602455
I honestly think the Pokemon franchise will end after gen 10. At this point there will probably be over 1000+ pokemon and I don't know how much longer they can crank out the same game with little changes here and there. I love the Pokemon franchise and I honestly would embrace change, but what can they really do?

At some point it has to end. Unless they are willing to spend lots of time making really top-notch quality games and be okay with not releasing a game every year or so.
>>
I don't want it to end -- but I'll be fine if it does ultimately do so. I would rather them end on a high note than end up cranking out shit-tier after shit-tier game in the future to maintain relevancy and generate sales off a dying IP. Not to say that that's what the games are coming to, just something that could happen.

With the rise of pay-to-win games and stuff, I honestly worry about what the future of the industry is going to become. I don't want a franchise I've loved as a child to stoop to that level, but it seems inevitable that everything is going to give in to whale hunting.

I hope the next few games turn out to be the fucking epoch of the franchise, something that will be remembered positively by even the salty bastards here. If they retire it after that, then I'm willing to accept that. In the meantime, I hope that the new direction brings some spark back to the games, because (for me at least) they lost something in Gen 6.

I want to believe that things will ultimately be good.
>>
>>26602455
Gamefreak isn't Nintendo.
>>
>>26602455
>I can't recall the context, but I remember initial discussion about "Pokemon Rainbow" included something hinting toward a "final game" -- but I could be misremembering.
You are. That was all bullshit.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that Masuda and Sugimori are retiring

>>26602580
They're not old.
>>
>>26603262
>They're not old.
They're not talented either
>>
I'm sure Tajiri hasn't been involved with the games in a substancial way for years.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.