[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Region Maps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10
Sinnoh and Johto/Kanto maps had a great art style, and you could generally see the overworld in some semblance of scale. You can see the actual landmarks and the path you'd take through the games.

Then they went to some shitty landmark style for both Unova and Kalos before going back closer to scale for Hoenn and Alola. Also came back with another really good art style.

why did Unova and Kalos get fucked so hard? The worst part is Kalos' art was amazing and a better map would have been fantastic.
>>
Unova and Kalos had landmarks in a much grander scale, dumbass. The bland cities/towns they had in Johto and Sinnoh were the reason the artstyle for the region "seemed" consistent.
If they made the map artwork actually relative to size, Lumiose City alone would take up too much of a percentage than what's actually shown.

Damn, does /vp/ ever think?
>>
>>26596534
Unova's map was fine, it wasn't totally accurate but the buildings in Unova are generally large so when you look at the region map you get the sense that you're looking at the real deal.

It's the Kalos map artwork that's truly fucked.
>>
>>26596534
>Alola map to scale with actual region

This sure is a good meme
>>
>>26596599
I'm not buying that.

What grand landmarks exist in Kalos besides Lumiose that couldnt possibly fit well? You know it's the only really reasonably large town in the region. And it doesnt seem hard to scale down Lumiose to fit on a map without turning everything into a Dora the Explorer map.
>>
>>26596534
I will pit both Unova and Kalos above the ORAS Hoenn map.
Yeah sure it's accurate as fuck, but it doesn't make it look good. Just extremely rigid and "videogame-y".
>>
>>26596599
No, they just complain about stupid shit that doesn't matter.
>>
>>26596632
I can sort of agree with this. I still think the Unova map could be better but you can at least generally see what the region is

Plus I cant say I dont love how Castelia looks in the Unova map.

>>26596702
I agree that ORAS fucked up the layout hard. And that's exactly how I;d describe it. Way too video game-y. Alola managed to look natural while still being pretty detailed though
>>
>>26596534
>desert with perfectly circular outline in Kalos

Jesus, what were they thinking? How did that map art even get approved?
>>
>>26596645
Besides Lumiose, Kalos also had the Parfum palace and the gardens, the Coumarine rails which isn't even shown in the artwork, etc
>>
>>26596747
Because it's not natural mong, it's where the Ultimate Weapon's missiile landed
>>
File: dfgn.jpg (380 KB, 1326x1262) Image search: [Google]
dfgn.jpg
380 KB, 1326x1262
>>26596702
Agreed
This extremely accurate style is cancer
I havent visited Alola yet and still I know every part of it
I prefere non-accurate maps like before
>>
>>26596764
The Coumarine Rails are no larger or harder to scale than the Magnet Train or Battle Subway though. And Sinnoh had the Pokemon Mansion.
>>
>>26596767
[citation needed]
>>
>>26596823
My dad works at Nintendo
>>
>>26596788
To be fair, that seems to be the Goldenrod City of Alola. The smaller towns, we still dont know much about.

And only Hoenn ended up looking shit, the other accurate maps still look pretty natural
>>
>>26596747
Fuck, I never noticed that but that's damn terrible

>captcha says "paris tours"
>>
Hoenn's Gen III maps were pretty good and similar to th e gen iv dtyle
>>
>>26596534
I have to say, I really hate that Hoenn map.
It's so blocky and shit, the original drawn Hoenn map was way better.
>>
File: Hoenn_ORAS.png (669 KB, 700x495) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_ORAS.png
669 KB, 700x495
>>26598206
also, I dunno why all the large versions of this map are so shit but the colours look awful there
>>
>>26596534
Sinnoh is the absolute peak in region map design. Sure it's not to scale, but it conveyed how massive Sinnoh was in the game.
>>
File: sinnoh platinum.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2122) Image search: [Google]
sinnoh platinum.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2122
>>26596534
>>26598500
>>
>>26596534
Look at the old hoenn art.

Now look at ORAS hoenn. Why is ital all blocky?
>>
>>26598513
Sinnoh's map looks amazing. And come to think of it, is probably the best one (until I see how well Alola's map conveys the place come November.)

Though, like the real Sinnoh it's color palette is oddly darker than Johto's.
>>
>>26598323
Okay so I've been thinking about the clouds in this and in the new Alola concept art, and. I know they're probably just the new art style and I know they're probably just there as filler for the giant swaths of ocean in both regions, but I can't help but feel like there's something important underneath the clouds in Alola. In alola, you can see in the top right that there's a tiny island with what looks like an overgrown beansprout sticking out of it that's partially hidden behind clouds. In the trailer where the professor is talking to you, there's a part where he mentions Alola and a little map of the region appears. Every island and landmark from the concept art is on that map EXCEPT for the beansprout island. The spot where that island is on the small map with the professor is covered by a cloud.
Something smells fishy, and it ain't the pacific ocean.
>>
>>26596534
>why did Unova and Kalos get fucked so hard? The worst part is Kalos' art was amazing and a better map would have been fantastic.
Unfinished games probably. They just wanted easy cash from retards that always buy their games regardless of quality.
>>
>>26598513
I have to agree here. The Sinnoh Map conveyed how ridiculously huge Coronet was, with believably placed towns. The one weak point was Canalave, which had no reason to effectively be an island in-game.

The Johto version of the Kanto map is very nice, it made Kanto seam more like a place than an island.

Hoenn is a square. RPG map, anyone?

I actually kind of like the Unova circle, it looks like it actually makes sense.

The Kalos map looks really weird all together. It has a few nice features, but it looks like the same, blank except for Luminous city map was given to 100 different people, and each one was tasked with adding one thing, then everyone's ideas were collaborated as best they could.
>>
>>26598618
The beansprout is definitely there in the map and being hidden by clouds in-game, but I say dont get your hopes up for anything else. You dont wanna get cloud cucked for the third time, after Kalos and Hoenn had nothing.

>>26596534
>>26598513
Hilariously, Johto and Sinnoh's clouds WERE hiding something, since it hid the Frontiers. Those maps even did secrets better lol.
>>
>>26598621
>>why did Unova and Kalos get fucked so hard? The worst part is Kalos' art was amazing and a better map would have been fantastic.
>Unfinished games probably. They just wanted easy cash from retards that always buy their games regardless of quality.

This is a perfect examples how retarded vp users are
>>
>>26598621
????
>>
>>26596534
There seems to be something more wrong with Hoenn besides being square but I cant put my finger on it
>>
>>26596534
Hoenn
Okay, maybe I'm just retarded, but wtf is that island to the right of Cycling road?
>>
>>26596534
>Anistar Sundial looks like being somewhere near the sea in-game
>it is in a fucked up 'lake'/wide part of a river on the map
>the snowy path behind it is nowhere to be seen in-game

Who else also hates how inconsistent Kalos geography is? It looks like all the body of waters and the rivers were first put in the in-game maps and then they tried to justify it with some fucked up concept map. Especially the sundial, which seems to have been put there thinking that somehow Anistar was a sea city.

It pisses me off even more thinking of how Johto and Unova geography is quite coherent to the game instead; just look at the river flowing from the mountain east of Blackthorn down through the whole valley leading to route 29, and then reaching the sea at New Bark.

Fuck, Johto is such a good region.
>>
>>26599605
Just some island they never used, it was in the original too. I think there's a mirage spot on it you can soar too, though
>>
>>26599919
Wow... that was close to a get. What a pity
>>26599999
>>
File: suicide1.jpg (19 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
suicide1.jpg
19 KB, 450x338
>>26596747
It's circular because it's where the death weapon hit.
And for that matter, Unova has a wasteland above the city because the land was cleared for more construction, but was stopped when they found the ruins.

Did you guys follow the stories at all? Ever talk to NPCs? Every time you guys complain about this shit it sounds like you hardly played the games at all.
>>
Hoenn and Alola are from kawayoo and Unova and Kalos from Naoki Saito.
>>
>>26599919
Holy shit I never even noticed that. Anistar isn't an ocean town at all. What the fuck.

>>26600596
I don't think clearing land for development works that way. Removing land the size of a small desert? And was that ever confirmed in game? It does sound a bit familiar. Though you're right about Kalos.
>>
>>26596534
They made the Entralink WAY too big with how disconnected it is from everything else.
>>
>>26596702
>>26596733
>videogame-y".

What the fuck does that even mean? The Hoenn and Alola maps are drawn in the same style and they both are the best two up there. Their maps give the feel that these are actual places you can visit and fit the scale accurately.
>>
>>26602160
>What the fuck does that even mean?

It looks like a grid shaped region consisting of line shaped routes instead of something that looks natural.
>>
>>26601882
The desert above Castelia is the ruins of the Twin Towers, Desert Resort has ghost-types for a reason.
>>
>>26602160
It looks square in a way that no other region does. Everything seems to fit on a grid and they didnt make the surrounding land look natural enough. There's no way Hoenn looks better than that Johto or Sinnoh here.
>>
>>26599919
Also, I agree on Kalos' geography. And the snow section is the perfect example. What the fuck is up with it?

Autumn path->nippy village->deep snow->another nippy village, then a waterfall town followed by a heavy snow town completely disconnected from the snow area.

Plus
>Dendemille covered in snow in the map, just chilly in game
>Anistar seems to be an ocean town. snow also not present.
>the snow travels down the mountain and crawled down the region to snow town
>so much snow yet only one snow town and one snow route

That one tiny section is such a massive clusterfuck in such a massive way
>>
File: 1464908370460.png (145 KB, 371x211) Image search: [Google]
1464908370460.png
145 KB, 371x211
You know, looking at Unova from above it actually looks tiny. But in-game its more than enough, ignoring the linearity. I hope Alola will be the same.
>>
>>26600596
>It's circular because it's where the death weapon hit

Again, [citation needed].

In the games it's only ever referred to as the 'Lumiose Badlands' by NPCs unless I missed something.
>>
File: 1464996329120.jpg (3 MB, 10000x7069) Image search: [Google]
1464996329120.jpg
3 MB, 10000x7069
>>26600768
>kawayoo

More people need to know about this guy. His TCG artwork is top notch, it's a shame they don't request him more often.

On topic, I really like his artwork on the maps. The Alola and ORAS maps are right up my alley but I have to give special credit to Sinnoh, despite not being my favourite region looks-wise, Platinum was probably the best pokemon game experience I had since Gen 1 and this map reflects that >>26598513. It' likely the most well thought out region, and it's fucking beautiful. The simplistic style of the towns and dark colour really set it apart from the other japanese based regions.

I'm biased towards Unova and Kalos, they're ugly as hell. Nothing in them makes me wanna go back or even remember and the maps look like someone just vomited a bunch of ideas and didn't sort them out. I remember when Unova was revealed I got so disappointed with the "random things stuck anywhere" theme and linearity. BW2 sort compensated for it by balancing it out, but it's still a lower tier region for me.

Kalos is just shit. It reflects how unfinished X&Y were.
>>
>>26602340
I agree with this.

People say Unova is big but they forget at least a third of the region is inaccessible water from the massive rivers. Unova is probably just a little bigger than Johto in land and yet the map is more than big enough in game. I'm not too worried about Alola.
>>
>>26598513
>>26598500
>>26602481

shit, Ive spent ages with my single problem with Sinnoh being how the Battle Zone has no snow despite being the same place as the top of Sinnoh.

Now I realise the active volcano, along with Heatran likely keeps the temperature above freezing.

It really is well designed.
>>
>>26602238
Except Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh are all just as grid-like and blocky. Look at the routes and how all the towns connect at perfect 90 degree angles.

Unova was the first map art that made an attempt to convey a realistic region in terms of placement, and Alola will likely be the first region that is entirely realistic on both the map and in-game.
>>
>>26602631
Not at all. The routes and towns are all straight, but the geogrphy sill looks reasonably natural.

Hoen's region looks deliberately designed to be sqaure, not just in the routes and towns, but in the actual overworld. Look at that near straight line for the top of Hoenn and compare it too the more random coast of Johto or even Unova.

It's much more likely that Sandgem Town would connect to Jubilife with a straigt man made route than it is that the rocks at the bottom of Hoenn would arrange themselves in a line like that naturally.

I started this thread defending Hoenn but now I really think it's probably not in the top 4 for map art.
>>
>>26603171
So you mean just the outline of the island? I mean sure, I guess Hoenn is pretty blocky compared to Johto and Sinnoh there but it's not a terrible deal breaker or anything.

My point is that the way the routes and towns line up on ALL of these maps feel incredibly "gamey" and grid-like up until the Unova map art, although Unova had to sacrifice some accuracy to convey that. Alola is the only region art so far that looks completely natural AND completely accurate at the same time.
>>
>>26603278
True, but the more natural overall region greatly helps them look more natural in general, despite the straight routes. Those honestly look fine to me because the way it was executed, with the grid being well hidden. Town placement looks convenient, but still ends up looking like it makes sense, so I cant say Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh dont look natural.

Alola definitely looks to have real high tier map art though. May end up being the best after all. Though the shape already seems way different than the in game map with everything being larger and curved for some reason.
>>
>>26599040
>hurr ur retarded
nice argument.
>>
Its a map, the entire point is the landmarks
>>
>>26603371
I really just don't think the difference between Kanto/Johto/Sinnoh and ORAS Hoenn is as drastic as you're making it out to be. The only thing more blocky in the Hoenn map compared to the others is the island's outline, and I don't see how the blockiness of the route/town placement in Johto or Sinnoh is "well hidden" when just a cursory glance at their artwork makes it extremely apparent how gamey looking they actually are. Not that I have a problem with that at all, but I can't look at those with a straight face and say they're natural.

I think it's best to just acknowledge that every map has its own strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>26603388
wasted dubs. That post being completely retarded IS the argument, because this he was seriously turning a map art thread into a Genwar thread
>>
>>26603708
the biggest problem with hoenn is that they exactly copied the water route barriers--route 109/110 in particular is just a right angle, which looks dumb, and the whole 129+ stretch is way too straight. meanwhile johto south of olivine is apparently open water, which distracts from the part where all the land routes are at right angles with each other.

the northwest corner of hoenn being a right angle doesn't really help, but the routes on the main island look at least a bit more natural than johto's.
>>
>>26596534
Where does the Johto railway go?

It should go through the north of CherryGrove or New Bark but just totally disappears.
>>
>>26596709
thisu
>>
>>26603848
Underground.
>>
>>26603848
It goes underground. Notice the train is a Subway by the time it gets to Kanto.

>>26603829
I think that might be that there's more open space land routes in Hoenn than Johto, so it looks less straight. The one thing I didnt like with HGSS was that it didnt increase the scale of the routes like ORAS did. And yeah, the Water Routes are the worst part by far
>>
>>26603708
I can't deny each map has strengths and weaknesses, but for me its just SO much more apparent in the ORAS map. I can't tell why exactly, but the blockiness of the wider region, as well as >>26603829 are some reasons
>>
>>26596534
Is the HGSS Ciandwood/safari zone landmass part of a larger region or just an island of its own?
>>
>>26605400
Ive always wondered the same. The rivers there imply that it's either a part of the larger landmass, or that it has it's an island with a small mountain the rivers come from.

The layout of Routes 47 and 48 make me think it's the latter.
>>
>>26605467
>>
>>26605535
I mean there's no reason it has to be exactly the same but It's safe to assume this means it's indeed an island.

That means Kalos is the only region that's just one landmass?
>>
File: 1463537542397.png (160 KB, 1236x1168) Image search: [Google]
1463537542397.png
160 KB, 1236x1168
>>26605657
unova too and orre
>>
>>26605799
I suppose Unova could indeed be 3 peninsulas connected to one landmass.

I like this map too, though I'd flip Hoenn. And there.s no real guarantee the land around Unova looks like that.
>>
File: japan_map_2.gif (31 KB, 402x504) Image search: [Google]
japan_map_2.gif
31 KB, 402x504
>>26605895
you do realize that japan right? and unova is new york? if you are gunna say there is no guarantee that the land around unova looks like that then there is no guarentee about the land mass surrounding kanto and johto.
>>
For somereason I only have a "mental map" of Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. i could draw you a sketch of their main routes and towns from memory. I've been completely unable to remember what nay regions from Unova onwards look like. I think region design kind of went down the shitter after gen III, because the newer regions aren't anywhere near as memorable.
>>
>>26606102
I'm not gonna turn this into Maptism but I'm not one of the people who think the pokemon world and the real world are the same.

>if you are gunna say there is no guarantee that the land around unova looks like that then there is no guarentee about the land mass surrounding kanto and johto.

That's what I literally said right >>26605657. It's not a guarantee.
>>
>>26606136
I think it's because the Unova and Kalos maps just connect the towns with straight lines rather than actual routes.
>>
>>26606136
I don't agree, Unova to me is easily more memorable than Sinnoh and to a lesser extent Kanto.

Kalos on the other hand...
>>
>>26596534
Do we actually know for a fact that any of the maps are actually to scale?
>>
>>26606697
Oh no, it's likely that every region is bigger than we see and has places we dont visit. Ethan's mom mentions going to a shop to buy the EV berries despite that place not existing, and places like Lentimas Town existed in BW even though we didnt see. Plus obviously no city can have 4 buildings. But generally, we can see that this is how each region looks.

>>26606677
Even while having the Kalos map right there I have barely any idea what I'm looking at.
>>
>>26606677
Die unovabortion
Unova was cancer, and your pitiful attempts at shitting on Kalos to make it look better in every threads I see will never change that fact
Getting tired of your shit
>>
>>26598513
Legendary. We're never going to get games as adventurous as the Sinnoh ones, are we?
>>
>>26606971
Alola looks to be pretty adventurous.
>>
>>26606832
Listen I don't even care about Unova (Hoennbaby reporting,) and even I have to admit that I can barely remember a fucking thing about Kalos. It's honestly jarring to me how little I remember about the region. It's just completely immemorable -- as a region, as a story, as a game. I liked most of the Pokemon we got, but other than that, literally nothing sticks out other than the fact that the game was literally boring with how easy it was. I legitimately hoped the games would be good, too, and honestly XY deserved better than to be relegated as a beta test for the 3DS. ORAS, too.

I'm excited for Alola despite that. The map looks pretty great. I'll be sad if we can't explore the ocean but I'm not expecting us to be able to.
>>
>>26596534
I absolutely hate Kalos's map it looks like someone vomited and made a region from it.
So glad S/M kept with Or/As's style it looks so much better IMO.
>>
>>26606832
Calm down. Plus, he's right. Kalos is definitely less memorable than Unova.

>>26607206
I liked parts of the overworld, but everything after getting to the Badlands was just bad in terms of layout. And yeah, this was the first pokemon story I actually found bad enough to notice how much I didnt like it.

>>26607206
I doubt it. if you look at the ORAS map you can also see the blocked off rocks. It's not like Gen 4 where it was open ocean like someone said earlier. You can already tell from now where we can and cant surf.
>>
>>26607319
>Kalos is definitely less memorable than Unova.

Not the guy you replied to, but that's like you opinion dude
Kalos ain't my favorite region but I liked it much more than Unova
>>
>>26607396
Well duh it's opinion. Nobody argued otherwise, besides the "die unovabortion cancer" fellow
>>
>>26607396
That's perfectly fine too. I can't remember jack shit about Kalos but I know for friends of mine it was something awesome to be remembered fondly. Different strokes. I really am hopeful for Alola though. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I have a good feeling.
>>
bump again
>>
>>26607942
The art looks great, but the in-game graphics themselves look so generic. Overworld especially.

The first five generations had a great look where it looked like a 2D game but was actually 3D, but the sprites and tilesets were personalized for each game. XY, and now even more with Sun/Moon, have this really boring look for the Routes especially.
>>
>>26606176

There is a globe in the Sun/Moon trailers that shows that the overall shape of continents are the same.
>>
>>26611973
Yeah, but I just see that as "we want a globe but we have no map ourselves."

>>26610324
XY's overworld feels generic, but SM's looks pretty great and clean. Hopefully I'm satisfied.
>>
>>26596534

All maps pre-Unova were painted by Midori Harada, she left Game Freak and since then the maps became pretty shit

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Midori_Harada
>>
>>26612645
She had a great style
>>
>>26612645
Dammit. This upsets me.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.