[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the most overrated character of all time? >when people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: Red_(game).png (602 KB, 718x1546) Image search: [Google]
Red_(game).png
602 KB, 718x1546
Is he the most overrated character of all time?

>when people debate who would win in a battle between Red and "X" everyone always chooses Red without an explanation
>>
Red caught/defeated Mewtwo, who is the most powerful Pokemon of all time. So he's the best.
>>
>>26586160
>Red caught/defeated Mewtwo, who is the most powerful Pokemon of all time. So he's the best.
LOL not canon mate
>>
>>26586160
Yeah, so did Ethan and Calem, and Ethan also beat Red.
Mewtwo's not even the strongest pokemon as of gen 3 either. Mega Mewtwo may have the highest BST, but Red's never even seen Mega Mewtwo.
>>
Overrated af.
I bet if not because of his shitty signature Pokemon that had been chosen for the company's mascot, and the illusion urban legend he made when standing on the top of mountain, his fans won't have a chance to blab about his power.
Cynthia is undisputable the strongest trainer of Pokemon universe. She's Yukari Yakumo of Pokemon
>>
>>26586147
He's not a character, he's you.

That's the point.
>>
>>26586147

too overrated.
>>
>>26586221
He had a chance to be an NPC
Most of his reputation is from being firstborn, Pikachu, nostalgia, and from the shitty manga that the fans try to fuse the 2 Red as one
>>
>>26586147

Ethan/Gold beat him, so Red is at least the 2nd best.
>>
>>26586208

How is Cynthia the best if you can beat her multiple times throughout the games?
>>
>>26586160
If we assume that is canon, we should also assume Gold beating him is also canon.
Further, we should also assume that Calem and Gold catching mewtwo is also canon. And Calem has Mega Mewtwo at that.

And lets not even get started with the fact Ruby has Mega Rayquaza by actual canon instead of assumed canon.
>>
>>26586306
yeah this is what bothers me

apparently Red's accomplishments even the post-game is canon but Gold's isn't

but eh nowadays they're so predictable that when you see someone mentioning him you can simply just ignore that person and lose nothing
>>
>>26586147
>point out a flaw
>get anally raped by fanboys thinking Red is the second coming of Jesus
>>
>>26586147
Probably because he left a bigger impact than other trainers, like high levels and a previous protagonist. Another would be Cynthia who tore an asshole on unsuspecting/underleveled players. Both can still be beaten easily, though.
>>
>>26586147
Back in the day, he was the highest-leveled NPC trainer by a long shot, and even now he might still hold that record thanks to HGSS. Besides, he has champion status, according to the World Tournament in BW2.
It's not hard to see why people would think he's the strongest trainer. And I'm ok with that.
>>
>>26586404
But you just pointed out two reasons he's not; he gets beaten by both Gold and Nate.
>>
>>26586413
But that's not "canon". Yes, that happens, but it's up to the player. There's no references at all in other games or pokemon lore, while Red being the highest levelled champion is a undisputable fact established by GF.

We cannot take as canon the strongest possible version of the MC in their respective games. I could say ORAS Brendan is the strongest trainer because I've just injected a shiny Mega Rayquaza and five Arceus, but GF isn't going to acknowledge my team as canon, nor is going to do a Brendan battle with Mega Rayquaza and five Arceus in S/M.
>>
>>26586460
Ethan beating Red is canon tho
>>
>>26586333
Because Red has Origins made it canon, Ethan doesn't have such thing
>>
>>26586544
How is it canon? Source?
>>
>>26586593
Seriously? You have to beat Red to finish the game
>>
>>26586302
How is Red the best if you can beat him multiple times throughout the games?
>>
>>26586597
No. Beating the game is beating the Elite 4 (first time the credits roll). Everything else is postgame.
>>
>>26586147
Everybody knows Gold is better. Normies just don't know who he is.
>>
Nate beat Red and all the Champions/Gym Leaders.
>>
>>26586585
so they admit Red is a shitty trainer?
>>
>>26586593
I made a logical jump that Red is in the Champion's Cup in BW2 because he has a loss, since all of the other Champions there had a loss yet the others (the players from their respective gens) aren't
>>
>>26586996
This. BW2 main characters potentially sweeped every region's fucking Pokemon League.
>>
>>26586650
In canon he is only beaten once, maybe twice if PWT is canon. Cynthia is beaten three times and four if PWT is canon.

The strongest character in canon is Gold.
>>
>>26587548
If you say Red is a shitty trainer, the rabid fanboys will jump on you cuz how dare you insult the golden boy
>>
>>26586147
>Is he the most overrated character of all time?
Not even close. He is overrated, but I think anyone who could become a Champion with a jobber like Pikachu by his side deserves some credit.
>>
>>26588629
To be fair, he's pretty much the only notable Trainer to use a Light Ball.
>>
>>26588691
Not until Gen IV. He probably found it during the three years between Yellow and GSC.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.