[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why the fuck aren't the gen 6 models changed for gen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: wT2jl5r.jpg (751 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
wT2jl5r.jpg
751 KB, 5000x5000
So why the fuck aren't the gen 6 models changed for gen 7? Like seriously Salamence and Gengar look exactly the same.
Its not that I don't like them but it feels just lazy.
>>
I'm pretty sure they are for multi generation use. I can't wait for gen 8. I will be able to see the gen 6 models in HD
>>
>>26582460
I'd be ok with Hd. And maybe some new attack animation tbqh.
>>
>>26582410
It's so they can make more new mons. Like >>26582460 said, they're for multiple generations.

Do you even know how hard it is to make animations and models in 3D? We got cool sprites in Gen V because they're extremely easy to make.

Be grateful that recycled assets mean that there's going to be new mons.
>>
>>26582410
Have you seen the work they did on those models? That shit is sticking around, bruh. They will still look exactly the same by the time gen 9 rolls around.

Did you ever play pokemon battle revolution, and see a gen 1 mon next to a gen 4?
Imagine that.
>>
>>26582410
The models are ridiculously high quality, which is part of why the frame rate is so horrible. Its likely they'll be using these models for multiple more generations.
>>
>>26582410
They were literally designed to be used in multiple gens, you facefuck
Plus modeling Pokémon takes a lot more effort than going to MS paint, slapping a few pixels together and calling it a day.
>>
Can we go back to sprites please?

These models look like total dogshit. Now that I think about it, gen 6 overall is just a goddamn disgrace.
>>
>>26582410
It's not the models that are bad, it's the animations.

Like why the fuck would you even show Salamence as one of your promotional images? Game Freak has to have heard people don't like the always-floating animations that they gave Pokémon like Salamence and Skarmory and Xatu, this is the kind of shit you hide away until the games get released and people already bought it, like how they hid the Frontier not being in ORAS.

I think they just don't care what people think of their games anymore.
>>
>>26582588
>Plus modeling Pokémon takes a lot more effort than going to MS paint, slapping a few pixels together and calling it a day.

>implying this is how all pixel arts are made
>>
>>26582728

This, the models are good but the animations are bad. The textures are also bad - everything is far too washed-out.
>>
>>26582752
I'm not that anon but let me tell you, making pixel art is nowhere near the same as doing a small sprite.
>>
File: M-Sableye Idle.webm (681 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
M-Sableye Idle.webm
681 KB, 640x480
>>26582513
>We got cool sprites in Gen V because they're extremely easy to make.
And even then, every mon not from Gen V had it's sprites recycled from Gen IV. The backsprites are new, but they just flipped the sprite and redrew it from the back, which requires less effort, though still enough.

I even think some mons in Gen IV had the same sprites as their Gen III versions.

I get disliking the desaturation. From the edits people made recently, I think the old sprite colors would look a bit too eye searing, though that may just be to being used to the current colors. And one would imagine a professional games developer should be able to handle it.

All the models are fine, the real problem is they could be more animated. The actual attacks are frequently pretty cool. Even the actual idle animations can be great. M-Sableye doesn't have anything quite as cool as the old Stadium/Colosseum/PBR getting hit animation, but most of what it has now is great.
>>
File: 1424765533771.jpg (17 KB, 390x378) Image search: [Google]
1424765533771.jpg
17 KB, 390x378
>>26582633
>Can we go back to sprites please?
W H E N ?
>>
File: sadvaporeon.jpg (8 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
sadvaporeon.jpg
8 KB, 223x226
>>26582588
If spriting was as easy as you make it out to be why am I so bad at it?
>>
File: M-Sableye Special Attack1.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
M-Sableye Special Attack1.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>26582904
>>
Because it is the same gen
>>
Game Freak's intention for the Gen 6 models was to basically make them future-proof. Remove the cel-shading, give em some better animations and hd graphisk and GF has models they can keep using for many more generations.
>>
File: 1464668467647.png (603 KB, 860x720) Image search: [Google]
1464668467647.png
603 KB, 860x720
>>26582921
Heres your (you)
>>
>>26582410
same engine, wait for like the first or second game on the NX so they have an excuse to redo models
>its just an HD retexture ala WiiU smash or pokken
>mah nigga xatu forever looks like dogshit, but now in HD
REEEE
>>
>>26582410
>>26582728
>>26582904

These. The models are miles above Battle Revolution. Some of these models are actually fucking amazing in quality, they just aren't giving them good animations.

Salamence's model is not, by necessity, flying. It lands in Amie. They simply refuse to use that landed animation in battles for whatever reason (I blame Sky battles, fuck that battle mode)

I, too was a spritefag up until I really looked at some of those models. They are gorgeous, just oddly textured and poorly animated. The potential is there, GF just isn't acting on it.

The attack and damage animations they are using now should be the middle selection. The minimalist animation would just have everything removed for speed, while the detailed set would have longer, more detailed things, like Sableye's old damage animation, Honchcrow's faint animation, or whatever.

But hey. This isn't the first time GF has literally sat on something amazing for no good reason.
>>
>>26582913
>>26582588
Spriting is easy, but making good quality sprites is really fucking hard. People who don't make art don't seem to understand this.
>>
>>26583332
I mean fuck, they could just come up with a cool flying animation. Make it look like it's actually flying around, if remaining actually stationary on the screen. Maybe some flaps, swoops, banks, flips, whatever. Anything but just statically remaining in a glide.

I should look up what the perpetually flying Pokemon have for idle animations. Glad ORAS was at least smart enough to let us view those in the Pokedex.
>>
>>26582410

So much this. Like I don't see the excuse for this.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.