[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did these two receive any lore whatsoever? What was their relation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: xerneas and yveltal.png (319 KB, 660x517) Image search: [Google]
xerneas and yveltal.png
319 KB, 660x517
Did these two receive any lore whatsoever? What was their relation to Kalos? What was their background?

How did GF manage to fuck up X and Y so badly?
>>
Theyre just life and death deities for a culture. does there really need to be that much more
>>
Just an offhand remark by a grunt when infiltrating the Flare HQ saying they had to search deep in the forest for days and then lug it back home
>>
They represent balance of life energy within the world of Pokemon. Xerneas gives energy and Yveltal takes it. Give or take too much life energy, that's when Zygarde shows up.
>>
> The deer's Antlers are made of delicious starburst candies

> Yvetal can give up to 5 handjobs simultaneously

There, lore.
>>
>>26581810
guys, forget gen 6 and Kalos.

Gen 7 is best gen
>>
>>26581810
They were ancient creatures that lay dormant, until Az plugged them into his doomsday device and accidentally the kingdom 3000 years prior to the story.

The primary focus of XY was to achive a full 3d pokemon game, and to give the new mons some quality control. Everything else was for moot.
>>
>>26581834

Yes?

Ho-Oh/Lugia, Groudon/Kyogre, Dialga/Palkia, and Reshiram/Zekrom all had their own backstories in addition to whatever they represented even in the initial two versions they appeared in for their generation. I don't understand why they couldn't have expanded on Xerneas and Yveltal just a tad more instead of just reinforcing how fucking boring Kalos was.
>>
>>26581950
The question wasn't "could" they have, but did they really need to.
>>
>>26581950
Xerneas and Yveltal had more to them than Ho-oh and Lugia, honestly.
>>
>>26582057
Eh, I don't think they really need all that much to just be local Kalos deities but that's not fair, Lugia and Ho-Oh had very little but they were still engrained in the culture and had some stories related to it. As far as I recall Yveltal and Xerneas had nothing to do with Kalos's history or the backstory of the plot to XY.
>>
>>26582057
You make a point. I remember Ho-oh having the bell tower story but did Lugia have a story as well. I know it was the spiritual trio leader of the legendary birds from Kanto, and that it helped them in the movie, but did it have any such lore in the games? I only briefly played silver and only got Heart Gold.
>>
>>26582057
Nah. Ho-Oh and Lugia at least had a small bit of location lore with Bell Tower and Whirl Islands.
>>
>>26582100
Lugia was originally in the burned tower, but because of its storm powers, it caused a lightning strike to hit the burned tower, destroying it and killed the original forms of Raikou, Entei, and Suicune.
>>
>>26581950
Do all legendaries need to have backstories, though? Especially since Gen V wanked off Reshiram and Zekrom like crazy.

Maybe they're just the local legendary Pokemon.
>>
>>26582138
All myths and legends generally have some sort of history behind them, so yes, I'd say they do.
>>
>>26582138
They ARE just the local legendaries. They're described in Anistar as being "the Legendary Pokemon of the Kalos region". Xerneas and I assume also Yveltal get a tiny little mostly irrelevant story to describe their powers as well. Not as important to the history of the region as, say, Ho-Oh and Lugia though.
>>
>>26582081
>As far as I recall Yveltal and Xerneas had nothing to do with Kalos's history

It's not explicitely said, so it might just be my headcannon, but since Lysandre was using them to power up the ultimate weapon, maybe it is safe to assume AZ did the same thing as well.

But they didn't expand much on the 3000 years ago war either, so even then it's hardly any lore, and the only effect it seems they had on kalos was the stones/graves scattered around.
>>
>>26582197
Maybe. All I remember mentioned about them before the climax is the short story in the house in Anistar. To be honest I don't entirely remember if Team Flare or Lysandre had even mentioned them before Anistar. And I don't remember the story about Xerneas necessarily relating to the plot about AZ.
>>
>>26581810
>Did these two receive any lore whatsoever? What was their relation to Kalos? What was their background?
Yes, they did, don't you pay attention?

>How did GF manage to fuck up X and Y so badly?
They didn't, X/Y were solid Pokémon games. One step backwards, sure. But two steps forward.
>>
>>26582228
>>26582197
Wait, didn't AZ use the life of all those Pokemon to power the ultimate weapon? Lysandre tried to do but that plan failed when you foiled Team Flare at the Laverre pokeball factory, where they wanted to get a bunch of Pokeballs to catch a bunch of Pokemon. I assumed that was why he went after the legendary in the first place, because it'd be very powerful would do in lieu of the lifeforce of many Pokemon.
>>
>>26581834
>>26582138
OP here. Obviously nothing NEEDS any of the extra fluff but for me, Xerneas and Yveltal had the potential of being among the most interesting aspects of an otherwise fairly bland region. I think it absolutely sucks donkey dicks that they didn't seem to get much more than just "lol life and death" and "lol power source" unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>26582081
Xerneas and Yveltal had the same stories though, and the two participated in the Kalos War. They have about the same amount of lore, and neither of the two duos are really touched upon unless you talk to optional NPCs.
>>
>>26582334
If you think X/Y were worse than Gen 1, 3, or DP, then you should probably just fuck off from this franchise.

X/Y were definitely solid games.
>>
>>26582338
>They have about the same amount of lore

I don't recall Xerneas or Yveltal getting any backstory to the same degree that Ho-Oh and Lugia got with the towers.
>>
>>26582338
It's not really the same. There are landmarks related to the stories of Ho-Oh and Lugia and their legends and it was also made into its own sideplot in HGSS. Xerneas and Yveltal have their own legends but it doesn't really relate much to the overall story. I forgot that they participated in the Kalos war though. But I don't remember that it really mattered. Lugia's powers affected the history of the Johto region for example by leaving the scorched landmark. There's not really any greater relation to the region for Xerneas and Yveltal. There could have been a forest said to be created by Xerneas, for example. I played X so I don't really know how Yveltal was flavored.
>>
>>26582389
Do you not remember the story of the ancient tree in the forest?

No different from Lugia/Ho-Oh's backstory of the story of the towers.

Not even that anon you replied too, but he is right. Yveltal/Xerneus has the same amount of story as the Gen 2 legends, and even more exposure do to being part of the Villains plot.

Denying this is just being blinded by nostalgia and hating X/Y for a stupid reason.
>>
>>26582468
All I can remember is some grunts casually mentioning where they found Xerneas and Yveltal, and that's nowhere near the same level of backstory as the tales about the towers.
>>
>>26582468
>Do you not remember the story of the ancient tree in the forest?
Isn't, you know, Xerneas the ancient tree? There is no landmark or anything as far as I recall.

Not that guy but I know I think you might be misinterpreting. I wasn't saying I think it's bad that they have less backstory in relation to the region. Just that that I think it's a pretty clear fact they do. If they just needed a powerful legendary to fuel the ultimate weapon, it could have been any legendary besides the life/death ones, and while I think it's fine Kalos just has life and death deities I think it's true that they're objectively less important or relevant than even Ho-Oh and Lugia are for Johto. I dont think it's a bad thing just because I said it, it's just a fact.
>>
>>26581810
>>26582333
Combined with Zygarde they represent the balance of life. Xerneas gives birth to new things like plants and such and Yveltal is like the Grim Reaper and kills what needs to be killed so things don't go off the tracks and when each are done they revert to their base forms while the other does their job. So while Yveltal is sleeping in its egg, Xerneas is giving birth to new life and vice versa

When shit happens and all hell breaks loose and ruins the balance, Zygarde comes in and resets it all.
>>
>>26582526
It's not really a fact though. Ho-oh and Lugia were essentially unimportant outside of Ecruteak, and a few NPCs here and there. Xerneas and Yveltal were needed for an ancient super weapon to make use of their immortality and destruction powers, respectively.

Also, in the postgame it's implied that the energy Xerneas and Yveltal gave off was what created Mega Stones. That's a hell of a lot more important than burning down a tower and fucking off to some islands.
>>
>>26582468
Actually it's entirely different if you actually paid attention to the folklore associated with Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Xerneas and Yveltal don't even visitable landmarks for fuck's sake. That's ridicilous, at least Zekrom and Reshiram had an excuse since they just flew around all the time.
>>
>>26582582
It's not about how important they are to the plot, but more about the history of the region. Any plot can be contrived to make a legendary important to the plot, as they do with third cover legendaries all the time except Zygarde. I elgitimately forgot they participated in the Kalos war which would count I suppose but it must have been so offhanded and not relevant to the war at hand (which was ended by the ultimate weapon and not powered by the legendary afaik) that it was pretty unimportant.
>>
>>26582357
At least gen 3 had decent remakes in emerald and FrLg

X and Y had the worst rivals, worst story, worst gym leaders and worst progression. Everything was so stupidly fucking easy that you don't even need to catch a single Pokemon if you want, the game fucking gives you them and the exp. Share levels them up super fast.
On top of that, when oras came out it took a giant shit on all the (very few) good things that came out of X and Y like character customization and the friend safari, all while being wrapped in the worst region.

No, X and Y were not solid games, they were a god awful mess that was a result of trying to pander to mobile audiences and genwunners while also trying to cram in as much shit as they could.

Fuck you, kill yourself, goodnight.
>>
>>26582605
well, it's not the landmark itself that's important. But because like Xerneas and Yveltal, Ho-Oh and Lugia mostly exist in legends and aren't hugely important parts of the story (in the case of the former because they had to be generic enough to be interchangeable and the latter because the games just weren't about that yet), their importance to the history of the region is given through other means, in the instance of Lugia/Ho-Oh the landmarks of the two towers and whirl islands with the sacred beasts.

I did forget it was implied Xerneas and Yveltal had a part in creating Mega Stones but it was so vague about it and it doesn't really explain Hoenn's mega stones or anything that it feels pointless to bring it up.
>>
>>26582627
Ho-oh and Lugia aren't important to Johto at all though. Only a couple of people in Ecruteak care about them, and we don't get any lore about their connection to the region besides "they exist and one left after it burnt down a tower, leaving the other to clean up its mess." They're honestly less important to the region than Slowpoke, which is not only sought after for its tail, but is revered in Azalea town.
>>
>>26582129

Nothing in G/S about storm powers (but it would've been something to add interest). Lugia didn't have much lore in G/S other than "it was in the Brass Tower, but it's deep in a cave
>>
>>26582741
I mean, it doesn't work like that. You can't go "they have no connection to the region besides the connection to the region they have". I'm not sure if I'm not being clear, you're not understanding, or if you're mispercieving that I'm trying to be antagonistic towards XY and you feel like you have to argue against me.
>>
>>26582780
It is said that it quietly spends its time deep at the bottom of the sea because its powers are too strong.
It is said to be the guardian of the seas. It is rumored to have been seen on the night of a storm.
It has an incredible ability to calm raging storms. It is said that Lugia appears when storms start.
>>
>>26582129
Never knew lugia was the cause, just that ho-oh revives them, granted didnt play the remakes and the originals were a long time ago
>>
>>26582856
Maybe it was just made more clear in HGSS but Lugia was the cause. That's the reasoning behind its dex entries.
It sleeps in a deep-sea trench. If it flaps its wings, it is said to cause a 40-day storm.
>>
Here's the thing, guys.

Even if you're right that Ho-Oh and Lugia have around the same levels of history and lore that Xerneas and Yveltal have (which I disagree with but I'll give it to you anyway) I still don't see how this makes X/Y's legends any less uninteresting. There could have at least been some kind of in-game area associated with them or something because we know they exist from NPC dialogue but we didn't even get that.

It just comes across as wasted potential to be entirely honest.
>>
I got X in part because I thought you'd get to explore the sacred forest where Xerneas lived
>>
>>26582331
>mad because floette died in war
>yvelta was the cause of the death of a lot of pokemon and people in the 3000 years ago war when it was used to fuel the gun by AZ
>either tried to revive them with xerneas energy but something goes wrong and he ends inmortal or xerneas turns him inmortal so he lives with what he has done or something
>we will never know since none of the versions acknowledge the other box legendary, and pokemon Z doesnt exist
>>
>>26582696
Gen 3 relied on nostalgia to remain relevant.
>>
>>26582944
Same here.

Kalos felt like such an incredibly half-assed region, as if it was on Game Freak's backburner for the entirety of X/Y's development cycle.
>>
>>26582944
are you telling me Xerneas doesnt live in a sacred forest? asking for a friend
>>
>>26582974
But it wasn't used to fuel the ultimate weapon during the war. The Pokemon whose graves are marked near Geosenge were iirc. And the revival of Floette came before its use as a weapon. It was originally created solely to bring Floette back to life. But Floette discovered it was brought back to life through the sacrifice of so many others so it left him and in a rage he turned the machine into a weapon to end the war. I think that's how it was.
>>
>>26583046
It does, but the forest doesn't appear in game
>>
>>26583086
>>26582974

>sacrifice pokemon = revive floette
>use yvelta to end war
>use xerneas to turn himself inmortal and wait for floette
in that order right?

any of you two could clarify me this? only played Y
>>
X and Y had a few specific goals in mind.
>full 3d pokemon adventure
>improve the UI for the online functionality, then streamline it
>move out of the old comfort zone by playing with pokemon stats and typing.
>create a more accessible foil for dragon types (fairy)
>create a smaller pool of new pokemon for the sake of quality control.

The last one was important for me. I didn't feel a sense of dead weight from any of the primer pokemon. They all felt usefull in some way.
>>
>>26583401
To iterate on my point gen 6 was a demonstration in technology, compartmentalization, and pokemon typing configureation.

It was never bound to be a vast adventure like previous generations. Just catch what you can, take advantage of wifi giveaways and prepare to migrate to the new gen.
>>
File: 1336813931773.jpg (36 KB, 221x246) Image search: [Google]
1336813931773.jpg
36 KB, 221x246
>>26581810
I feel the player character hardly really gets involved enough to really find out much about what Flare is doing and how they are going about it outside of those little meetings Lysandre. They are always more 'In your way' than 'I need to stop them.'
>You're trying to get some fossils when they decide to get in your face
>You just want to leave Lumiose and progress to next gym but there's a blackout
>Being the responsible 10 year old you are you take it upon yourself to to personally fix an entire city's power grid and guess what, these Flare guys are in your face again
>Finally get to next city and beat gym when your annoying friends want to go see some factory to get pokeballs
>It's these guys again
>You think you're in the clear when suddenly these people make a broadcast threatening genocide
>I guess I have to stop them
>All the lore and shit is dropped on you, you kick there ass, and what do you know there's some super legendary pokemon there too

All the antagonist teams are obviously roadblocks for your journey but Flare even more so than the others. They're so distant and seemingly irrelevant to you and as a result so are the legendaries. In Kanto you clean up an organized crime syndicate and eventually happen upon this mysterious genetic abomination they left behind. In Johto the legendaries are more disconnected from the villains but they go full on Chosen One with Kimono Girls. Plus there's the fucking champion at your back egging you on to tear up Team Rocket with him. In Hoenn you really get involved with the two warring factions and there's a lot of buildup and interaction with the legendaries that carry the plot. In Sinnoh you have to split up with your rivals and try to top Galactic from bombing the fucking lakes. When that's failed you have to climb a fuckhuge mountain and stop them from tearing the universe apart. BW/BW2 takes the cake for most involved story no explanation needed. But XY had the blandest team and legendary encounters.
>>
>>26582357
>X/Y better than Gen 1
Definitely.
>X/Y better than D/P
Meh. I still like D/P more because there was more challenge, but at the same time, D/P felt way slower. On the other hand, though, X/Y has slow, boring moments too. I'd call them even, but I wouldn't call either of them a solid pokemon game.
>Gen 3
Nah. Gen 3 vastly improved the series and had a lot of great things X/Y didn't. Of course, Gen 3 had its own flaws, but its nowhere near being worse than X/Y. Gen 3 had solid games all around; decent challenge by Pokemon standards, Emerald providing a huge amount of end-game content, and good remakes with FR/LG. Hoenn may not be a very good region, but frankly, I liked it a lot more than Kalos. Not to mention that all of Gen 6 was without an endgame, was a whole new league of easy (even by pokemon standards), and gave really shitty remakes with ORAS.

I don't mind if you enjoyed X/Y, but saying they were better than Gen 3 is just wrong.
>inb4 "nostalgiafag"
>>
>>26583004
Okay anon. Time for bed now.
>>
>>26582129
And then it fled deep underwater, to prevent further damage (or something like that, I remember the Pokedex mentioned it)
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.