[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one fucking legit reason why the anime was better back then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: Capture.png (2 MB, 890x1313) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2 MB, 890x1313
Give me one fucking legit reason
why the anime was better back then
>>
I was a happy kid.
>>
File: 1464269656627.jpg (4 MB, 2560x3586) Image search: [Google]
1464269656627.jpg
4 MB, 2560x3586
It wasn't people are just fucking stupid.
>>
Because things sometimes happened

Now it's just endless filler
>>
Nostalgia
>>
>>26549688
XY has a nice art style, but sometimes it seems a little oversaturated. I think that's the main problem people have with the present style.
>>
>>26549688
>implying recycling
https://youtu.be/FopyRHHlt3M
>>
>>26549701
Whaddya mean oversaturated?
>>
>>26549697
>implying lack of filler back then
>>
People like episodic adventures focusing on a main character unexperienced with the world slowly growing competent

Not borderline mary sue like XY or having all their development wiped like BW

They're also just older now
>>
>>26549697
Endless filler started in Johto
>>
>>26549710
The colours seem much more vivid than they should be. Say what you say about Origins' art and character design, but the dulled colours just seemed to work a lot better.
>>
>>26549752
I wonder what everything post-Kanto would've been like had Takeshi Shudo stayed on board for longer or at least had a stronger influence.
>>
>>26549730
you're thinking of DP
>>
>>26549670
>using screenshots from BW
don't do that
>>
>>26549782
not the last one.
>>
Something about the clouds seems weird in modern episodes. Is it the lack of gradient? I can't tell if they re-improved those after Best Wishes.
>>
>>26549670
Only the first season (up to Indigo League) was good, and even then it was just a fairly mediocre shonen
>>
>>26549815
Thats not a reason
>>
>>26549730
>Not borderline mary sue like XY
Post discarded.
>>
>>26549670
Why is every attack shitty CGI now?
>>
>>26549670
I don't watch the anime or otherwise have a stake in the argument, but I will say better animation quality =/= a better end product.
>>
>>26549820
The reason was that while the anime was objectively always pretty bad the idea was at least quite original and fun at the time.

But these times are long gone. Now after endlessly rehashing the same plot formula nobody except autists at /padt/ cares
>>
I don't watch the anime now but from what I've seen I think xy is Beyer damn good compared to the wacky adventures no real build up of earlier gens. The greninja plot that's happening right now seems pretty good imo.
>>
>>26549851

>rehashing the same plot formula
Like the games, only manchildren nintentoddlers and autistic care
>>
It was new and fresh
>>
>>26549837
Millenials
>>
>>26549893
The difference is the video game series is actually good. The ashnime was always bottom tier trash.
>>
>>26549977
Both are the same shit,
The world building in Pokemon games is just about the lamest thing imaginable. It's ALWAYS "look how Pokemon are our friends and how they work with us!" It's the most basic 'happy co-existence' setup that's regurgitated to no end. The villain are usually some generic twats who do want to abuse Pokemon for their purposes and the primary legendary Pokemon (from the cover) have their usual world-forming role. Each MCs generic story path needn't even be mentioned.
>>
>>26549670
The only thing that looks worse is the water gun. The new way they do it is awful looking
>>
File: 1459631443936.png (609 KB, 578x487) Image search: [Google]
1459631443936.png
609 KB, 578x487
>>26549670
I've seen like first 15 episodes of XY anime.

Characters are worse (especially Serena).
Anime is still repetitive as fuck (or maybe even more).
Ash losing to shitty Pokemon (like Surskit) is less believable now than back then.
Every attack results in an explosion now.
>>
>>26550061
Watch XY053 and XY60 and then tell me Serena is worse.
>>
File: 0002.png (200 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0002.png
200 KB, 500x500
>Show has been going for 20+ years
>Status quo has not changed at all
>>
>>26550038
You don't play games only for the plot and the setting. Plenty of great games barely have any plot at all.
Arguably, the most important part of a game is gameplay itself, and in that regard Pokemon is still fairly solid. There's plenty of valid strategies and different monsters, and balance-wise they have gotten better with time. They're far form perfect, but they're still enjoyable, slightly above-average jrpgs with decent and very popular multiplayer modes.

However, if an anime has shit plot and shit writing, there's little left to enjoy. Maybe animation, soundtrack or art direction if they're really good, but in the ashnime they range from average to really bad.
>>
>>26550198
I genuinely dislike the writing of Pokemon and it's probably the main reason I don't buy the games anymore.
I get that it's for children but I don't think that's an excuse for the boring writing, haha. Yokai Watch has fantastic writing and I'm sure that targets the same audience...
>>
>>26549670
The anime back then has intensity and legit serious moments like ash and co. Looking for charamander and gettin him to the Pokemon center before he dies. And the battles now for the most part is ash commending his Pokemon to collide their moves with the apponent every time which is annoying with that whole cloud forming from the fight scenes now
>>
File: 1463487697120.gif (578 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1463487697120.gif
578 KB, 160x120
Because it was original. What has changed has gotten shittier.
>>
>>26549670

Misty. /thread
>>
>>26549670
The anime used to be fun
>>
>>26550061
>Characters are worse
>When Misty existed
>Anime is only now repetitive (even though they've changed the formula in XY, not to mention TR doesn't show up in every episode anymore)
>Surskit had the upper hand due to the ice
lel
>>
https://youtu.be/pNyivz2-O8U
>>
>>26550061
>15 episodes
>of a 150 episodes series
>most likely watch the cancerous english dub
>ground to judge anything

I knew /vp/ is full of retards but this is middle school stupidity.
>>
>>26549670
The only "good" seasons were DPP and X/Y, everything else has been shit and falls under "muh nostalgia" category.
>>
>>26550585
>Anime is only now repetitive
That's not what he said, it was always repetitive. He said it was still repeating the same shit it did nearly two decades ago.
>Surskit had the upper hand due to the ice
That's not an excuse.
>>
File: fa2.png (69 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
fa2.png
69 KB, 600x500
>>26549670
>Emperor Palpitoad
...Palpi? The (in)famous shitposter from KYM? Is that you?
>>
>>26550966
15 episodes is more than enough to get an impression of a show.
>>
>>26551002
>KYM
kys
>>
Cel-shaded animation
>>
>>26549670
water gun and bubble looks better in the left
>>
>>26550966
This logic reminds me of that old argument "this game gets good after X amount of hours". Not everyone wants to spend 50 hours watching something that is not entertaining for first 5 hours.

And watching 5 hours of anime is sufficient to form an opinion.
>>
>>26549705
>implying implying recycling
>>
>>26549670
Look at the fucking clouds on the right Charieard pic
Best Wishes was truly cancerous
>>
After XY, pokemon goes from anime to cgi, how do you respond?
>>
>>26551528
Thats expensive, so no
>>
File: tumblr_nttkgqYf8P1rpeq1jo1_540.png (128 KB, 540x414) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nttkgqYf8P1rpeq1jo1_540.png
128 KB, 540x414
Actually animating the moves looks better in comparison to CGI. CG is cheap and looks out of place because the backgrounds and characters are hand-drawn.
>>
File: hohoho.gif (351 KB, 215x172) Image search: [Google]
hohoho.gif
351 KB, 215x172
>>26550486
The old anime was darker, but they kid it up some more later on.
It was also alot goofy-er
>>
File: who.jpg (23 KB, 318x374) Image search: [Google]
who.jpg
23 KB, 318x374
>>26550527
>Misty. /thread
>>
>>26549670
>better effects automatically mean it's better

Okay.
>>
>>26550061

I bet you were watching the dub.
>>
>>26550038
>It's ALWAYS "look how Pokemon are our friends and how they work with us!" It's the most basic 'happy co-existence' setup that's regurgitated to no end.
You've never actually played a Pokemon game have you.
>>
>>26551619
>saving stinkerton art

Bad anon, bad!
>>
>>26551089
>And watching 5 hours of anime is sufficient to form an opinion.
That's like saying you can have a valid opinion of a book when you've only read three chapters.

You haven't taken in even a quarter of the media at hand, you can't have a valid opinion of it especially when you're so far away from the climax. I mean what you've just sat through is essentially a character introduction.
>>
>>26552256
Considering the story is the same trite but with less errors? Yes it is.
It's also a predominantly visual medium you idiot if the effects and animation are better then a large part of it is better.
>>
>>26552226
>>26550527
>>26552226
You say that as if it's a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0OowSxgEcE
>>
>>26549670
The attacks looked better. Now it's just glowing limbs, exploding lazers, speed lines, constantly changing camera angles, and clashes.
>>
>>26551012
spotter the underage
>>
>>26552355
>Speed lines
There were more speed lines before then there are now, and animations were more reused
>>
>>26552355
Remove the camera angles and you have exactly what the series was until X and Y except with workshop tier animation.
>>
>>26549688
>>26549670
Artstyle my ass, this shit never matters as much as the story does. And the story in itself has always sucked and was and always will be shallow as fuck.
There was a time around the D/P era where the writing was a little stronger with more versatile characters and a bit more development going on. Like any somewhat decent show does.
Usually, espcially Pokemon does nothing of relevance and repeats its own shit several times with little to no variation. It's always been about battles, but with no creativity involved, so it always looks the same. Same outcome. And now that Ash is too almighty, he is also being dumbed down.

The Anime nowadays is more oriented on the game's story. It's more about battling and the MOTD episodes (as in, filler) follow Pokemon and shit with the same-ass problems. There's nothing unusual about it, most of the time.
Not saying it's bad, but it is way more repetitive.

The guy who did the first movie and the first few seasons hasn't been on the series since then. And it clearly shows.
The Anime did -not- follow the logic of the Pokemon games (I do not mean battling-wise). There was a lot of mythology. Shit was just made up on the fly. The filler episodes were mostly weird and took itself not so seriously. There was much more freedom, much more stuff they could do. Single episodes focussed on a Ghastly that bonded with the spirit of a sad girl for example, luring the men into whatever.
They were creative enough to try and do different shit. It was more experimental in that sense.
You can say it was because they haven't found their foot yet, but it was mostly just because Pokemon has this wide range of shit you can do. You can do so much with it and it was nice to see that in the Anime.
Of course it didn't always happen and you'd have episodes where it's just about catching a Pokemon and that might be boring.
And Ash didn't win all his badges through battles, which is fine for the first few times. It's at least creative.
>>
>>26552355

>changing camera angles
>bad
>>
>>26549670
The CG fire and water suck.
>>
>>26549670
Because there weren't special snowflake powers
>>
>>26549670
I kinda like the new series, but I fucking hate CGI. It's horrible, specially in DP and Best Wishes.
>>
>>26552396
>this shit never matters as much as the story does
You're fucking kidding right?
This is literally a totally animated piece of media, the artstyle and animation should be placed leauges above the story just like gameplay is for video games.

The story means literally nothing if there's nothing backing it up, you'd have a point if this were a comic or an anime but it's not.

I bet you thought Musashi Gundoh was amazing because it looked like shit too huh?
>>
>>26549670
It wasn't done to death back then.

Watching something happen for the first time is always better than watching it happen for the sixth time, soon to be seventh.
>>
>>26552499
lmao

People watch everything for the story. Pokemon Anime back then and now. Either artstyle as pretty as they come... doesn't draw ANY new viewers in. They watch it for Pokemon. And stay for the story.
>>
>>26552499
>>26552522
>you'd have a point if this were a comic or an anime but it's not
so yes, I have a point.

I'm not saying horrible art doesn't distract viewers because it will be. Just like horrible camera work can. But for Pokemon for example? Nope. It's generic, generic mostly is good enough as it doesn't distract.
>>
>>26552550
>so yes, I have a point.
My thoughts missed a step and I meant to put manga.
So no, you don't have a point.
>>
>>26552327
He's read the book several times before, though. I think it's fair for him to check the new one and see if it's exactly the same, and five hours seems like a reasonable amount of time to spend on something like that.
>>
>>26552597
no one vever watches for the artstyle. but for the content.
animation is important so that it looks good and is like the backbone of everything. but without good content. IE story. It doesnt matter and no one cares or will ever care.

in this example, Pokemon, people watch it for Pokemon. better animation for example does not make anyone new watch it as it's still the same old shit just prettier.
>>
>>26552499
And as animated piece of media, its mediocre at best. Just an average budget endless shonen.
Each season there's plenty of animes that blow Pokemon out of the water in terms of animation and art direction. Even now in XY, with all the fancy camera turns during battles. You don't watch Pokemon for the animation unless you have extremely low standards.
>>
>>26552656
>It doesnt matter and no one cares or will ever care
>Gurren Lagann
>Dragon Ball
>Naruto
>One Piece
>Bleach
Hell it even goes into movies seeing as people only watched the marvel movies for the choreography, hell the lack of action/effects etc is one of the big reasons why BvS flopped.

They all had absolute trite for story just like pokemon, no one cared because they have the animation and action to back it up and hold the interest. It's why so many story based shows have failed, they have nothing to hook the viewer.

>>26552699
Are you seriously trying to say watching the Pokemon anime for the story or lack thereof is any better? You should be embarrassed to say that.
>>
>>26552656
Animation is actually pretty important. It can be used to capture attention, especially from younger audiences, and make everything much more exciting even if the story is dogshit. Because let's face it, a majority of media has shit stories.

Different forms of media focus on different things, so expecting every anime to have Durarara level of story quality is just as stupid as assuming any anime with lazy animation must be bad.

The anime's biggest issue is it still follows Ash. XY made him pretty tolerable, but his character in general is dried out. Even Sawyer has been more interesting just because he's a new face.

They won't ever change it because people continue to view Ash and Pikachu as staple mascots. People naturally prefer familiarity. It's also probably part of the reason Pikachu will never evolve or go in the pokeball.

Ash not getting every starter on his team is always nice though.
>>
>>26552737
>Gurren Lagann
>Dragon Ball
>Naruto
>One Piece
>Bleach
nice point, people watch it all for the content. rofl

>Are you seriously trying to say watching the Pokemon anime for the story or lack thereof is any better? You should be embarrassed to say that.
you do know that chilren watch Pokemon and watch it for the story? Adults watching it already have low standards by default or are nostalgia-based.
>>
>>26552781
>nice point, people watch it all for the content. rofl
Yeah the animated content, well up until recently for DB and OP.
No one gave a shit about the story.

>you do know that chilren watch Pokemon and watch it for the story?
You what?
They're the one group that watches shows for the animation and effects more often than anything else. You'd be hard pressed to find a kid that would know what the fuck is going on.
>>
File: 1447215453608.png (105 KB, 605x379) Image search: [Google]
1447215453608.png
105 KB, 605x379
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LLJT9yzPao
>>
File: Vurmit.gif (3 MB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
Vurmit.gif
3 MB, 426x240
>Watching the anime, ever
>>
>>26552281
Aye, japanese dub.
>>
>>26552815
Miscommuncation going on here. DBZ and the like are all things being watched for the story. It is lackluster, just like Pokemon or Marvel movies. But it is there. People watch it because they like what is happening. Not all Shonen are successfull, even though they have lots of action. Not because the animation is so crisp or great (see: fucking DBZ for example), but people like DBZ for its character and stories and, ultimately, the action. The action, the fights being the ultimate end-all be-all. But if it was just action, no one wouldcare. DBZ is not animated well for example. It's just okay.

If children were watching Pokemon for the animation and effects... dude. Then other shit would be as popular. Are you seriously suggesting that all they care about is how great something looks? lol?
Kids like action. That is true. But they dont like all action. They like Pokemon. They like what is happening, including the action. If it were just the action, no one would care. But animation does not mean "oh yeah they are fighting", because there's always a reason for the action etc etc. Thus, the characters etc matter.
>>
>>26549670
The writing was less safe and generic back then.
I couldn't care less about animation quality, it's not like the original series looks unwatchable.
>>
>>26552737
>Are you seriously trying to say watching the Pokemon anime for the story or lack thereof is any better? You should be embarrassed to say that.

No. I'm saying that the artistic part of the show it's almost as bad as the story. Even if you post greninja_vs_sceptile.webm or serena_dancing.webm, that's a ridiculously small amount of footage, and doesn't represent at all the average animation of the show.

It's a shit anime with no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>26552293
I have, and that is pokemon
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.