[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3D killed pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
>pixel art is gone from pokemon games forever

Fuck this 3D bullshit, I hate it so much. There's no charm in these games anymore.
>>
XY killed it.

Stadium/Snap/Colosseum/GoD/PBR were pretty good.
>>
>>26541505
This. Think of all the sprite editing and splicing and recoloring that went on, throughout the Pokémon community.
>>
>we will never get comfy chip tune music and comfy sprites any more
Fuck 3D. It doesn't feel right as it is. Either they go all out high-res free movement or they go back to the pixel art we deserve.
>>
>>26541505
>it's this thread again
>>
>>26541571
nice argument memelord.
>>
>>26541571
t. Kalosperm
>>
>transition to 3D
>games get worse as a result
Pottery.
>>
File: gsc_samurott_by_n_kin-d5q638o.gif (6 KB, 56x56) Image search: [Google]
gsc_samurott_by_n_kin-d5q638o.gif
6 KB, 56x56
I'm more upset that we will never have official demakes, and newer pokemon will never have the opportunity to be depicted in older sprite artstyles
>>
>>26541603
>arguments

Look at the OP, friend:
>>26541505
>Fuck this bullshit
>I hate it so much
>There's no charm in these games anymore

I don't think there were arguments in this thread to begin with?
>>
>>26541646
My dream is for a 'nostalgia filter', where a future game lets you choose which past art style to use.
But then, just a dream.
>>
>>26541646
If they ever do a demake would it be a 3DS game without the graphics that take advantage of the systems hardware?
>tfw Samurott wasn't introduced in Gen 2 and people would've gotten nostalgia for it's cool design
>>
File: 1384137857848 (1).jpg (42 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
1384137857848 (1).jpg
42 KB, 400x366
>>26541505

Go take your negative sob-story bitchass somewhere else. You're doing no one a favor of reminding people of your incessant bitching about something you have no control of you fucking autist. If you want your sprites, go make or go look for them.

And by the way, the 3D models look great. There's obvious room for improvement, but it's executed really well for the first time on a mainline handheld game.
>>
>>26541792
wew kid
nice ironic choice of image
>>
>>26541811
Kill yourself you patheic faggot
>>
>>26541828
ayy
>>
What about cellshading that looks like 2D, like the dragon ball games?
>>
The only problem is that the game is FUCKING SLOW AS SHIT!
>>
>>26541868
lmao sedong
>>
>>26541505
Good.
>>
>>26541792
>the 3D models look great

good joke my man
>>
>>26541505
get with the times nigger. kill yourself
>>
>>26542132
Everything except for a few Flying-types has really good animations.
>>
>>26542149
>It's 2016! C'mon!
>>
File: image.gif (325 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
325 KB, 192x192
>>26542158
>You can justify this
>>
>Complains about 3D
>Posts sprites from game with worst battle sprites in series
>Also 1st games to use 3D modeling in the overworld
>Games that came out nearly 10 years ago

Let it go, anon.
>>
>>26542226
unusual, etc
>>
>>26542226
it's the basic fighting stance of the martial art Hitmontop was based on
>>
>pre-XY
"wah, why can't papa gamefreak get with the times and make 3D pokemon wah!!!"
>post-XY
"wah, why did papa gamefreak change to 3D, sprites were so much better wah!!!"

This community is full of children. Little faggots who cry to get what they want and cry when they realize that's not what they wanted after all.
>>
>>26542308
>being more true to the source material automatically makes it better design
When did this meme start and when will it end?
>>
The 3D models are generally great looking, and the animations can always be improved.

2D sprites never had real animations
>>
>>26542319
This. Imagine the fallout that would've happened if Game Freak chose to stick with 2D sprites on a handheld literally called fucking 3DS. This franchise would be a laughing stock even more than it already is, thanks gen 6
>>
64 bit processors killed the PC industry. 8-bit machines had more charm on it, fuck Intel, Miscrosoft, Apple, AMD. We should go back to the 80.

Yeah, anyone who knows about PCs will tell me that all I've said is bullshit and stupid, but that's the point too. Also, we already had 3D, and most models are the same, just more poligoned or slighty different because they were made from scratch.

Also

>this thread again
>>
File: tumblr_lv9kba1kll1qzdf0go1_250.gif (405 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lv9kba1kll1qzdf0go1_250.gif
405 KB, 250x188
>>26542226
What's wrong?
>>
Crystal is the only game with good sprite work considering the system and even then the overworld left a lot to be desired compared to other GBC-only RPGs, though the Tower and Dragon's Den shrine were a step closer to those others.

The animations of the models in Gen VI have infinitely more life and spirit to them than the static sprites most of the games had or BW/BW2's weak tweening loops ever did. And that says a lot for how bad it was considering how much better the animations could be.
>>
>>26542332
are you saying designers shouldn't look to outside sources for inspiration?

hitmontop is a capoeira-based pokemon. what's wrong with animating it doing capoeira instead of you know, just standing there like 90% of the other mons?
>>
>>26541646
fuck
you're right, that would be great
>>
>>26542226
>you just want a pokémon stading head down
https://youtu.be/N1HFsXSsRSU?t=5m42s
>>
>>26542693
I don't know, for the most part the models in Gen VI just stand there, and even when they do attack they look like they're hardly putting any effort into it.

Maybe I'm fond of the sprites because I used my imagination more as a kid, but I think at least having them posed in interesting ways helped to sell the "life" of them.

Even if they literally didn't move, at least they looked like they were constantly in action.
>>
>>26542700 #
Thats not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that being more like the source material doesn't automatically mean "better." Would you prefer Muk look like a literal pile of disgusting sludge?

My main problem isn't even the animation, I think the model standing still looks terrible.
>>
Pokedex 3D had better animations than XY.
>>
>>26542753
There are actual fainting animations, animations when attacking from the Pokemon themselves even if it isn't as good as say reveal trailers for PBR which themselves were toned down because they rushed it out for Wii launch in Japan, idle animations often at least on par with Gen V if not better in several cases not to mention without the horrendous zoom and pixelated tweening, and all the Amie animations.

It could be much better, but it's still a big step up from past games.
>>
>>26542756
but hitmontop doesn't stand still. it actually moves thanks to them taking inspiration from the source material.

you're right that that doesn't automatically make things better, but in hitmontop's case, it makes it look like it's ready to battle with its capoeira style.
>>
File: it hurts to live2.png (182 KB, 2426x906) Image search: [Google]
it hurts to live2.png
182 KB, 2426x906
I miss these threads ;_;
>>
>>26542818
I forgot about the Amie animations. Yeah I wish they put more of the animations into the pokedex, if possible. I like seeing all the attack animations in the ORAS pokedex, but still most of them just look very basic. It can be better but I think a large problem is that there's just so many pokemon at this point, it's probably really time consuming. If there's one animation I would add, it's an entrance animation where pokemon strike a unique pose once they enter into battle.

Yeah personally I never found pokemon sprites to be particularly good. The poses I thought were fine, but in terms of actual pixel art it's still very basic. Gen V had some of the best looking sprites to me, but I hated the "animation" in those games. I would love to see a pokemon game with animations for different actions in pixel art style, but where the artists actually animate the sprites by hand.
>>
>>26541505
Video killed the radio star
>>
File: pokemon_xy_menu_icon_sprites.png (537 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_xy_menu_icon_sprites.png
537 KB, 1000x1200
>>26541505
>pixel art is gone from pokemon games forever
huh?
>>
>>26542936
That would be nice, but it'd be even more time-consuming and costly than trying to make further animations for all the 3D models, especially as the system resolutions increase.

Maybe a fan project someday would do that.
>>
>>26541603
nice argument meme lord
>>
This guy did the same thread in v
>>
>>26543054
Oh totally, I don't expect Game Freak to ever do that. I would love to see a fan game try that sometime too.

I'm thinking and hoping that with Sun and Moon, the animations may be even better since they basically already have two games to work off of. I assume they'll reuse all the previous animations anyway.
>>
>>26541505
I completly agree and I'm surprised I'm not the only one. I lost all hype for SM when the non-chibi 3d world was shown. It's not the game I want to play.
>>
>>26542243
>worst battle sprites
That's R/S.

Though D/P is pretty bad. Just look at Gliscor. No wonder it got immediately fixed for Platinum.
>>
the musharma 3d model creeps me the fuck out

Isnt it supposed to be dream gas coming out its face?
looks mor like an umbilical cord
>>
>>26543226
It's supposed to look like an umbilical cord, but it could stand to be less solid
>>
>>26543250
>its supposed to
Jesus Christ game freak pls
>>
Gen I sprites were shit.
Gen II had some shit sprites (Sneasal etc), especially for new mons.
Gen III was turd level, especially for new mon.
Gen IV was better than III but on par with Gen II.
Gen V was ok but ruined by the shitting awful animations.

Why do people miss sprites?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK