[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the idea for Pokemon to speak using only their names originate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: squirtle-speaks.png (65 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
squirtle-speaks.png
65 KB, 400x300
Did the idea for Pokemon to speak using only their names originate from the anime?
>>
>>26532778
4kids actually, in the original Japanese dub Pokemon can speak their name and sometimes they make animal noises, the animal noises were all dubbed by 4kids for some reason.
>>
I hate, hate, hate the "speaking their names" thing. It's so fucking stupid. Pikachu doing it is ok, but it should be a trait unique to him.

Thank god the mainline games don't do this shit. Bad enough hearing it in Smash.
>>
i watch pokemon alone in english and i still cringe because of that shit
>>
>>26532778
squirtle is squidward and turtle.
>>
In RB some pokemon's overworld sprites did just say their names if you talked to them so no.
>>
>>26532778
No, Mewtwo does say "Mew" in RBY and Jigglypuff says "Pu pu!" which is part of Purin. There are a thousand other examples i forgot but it's basically 50% name and 50% random.
>>
>>26536308
In D/P, Gwobobobo, and Dodogyuuun are some of my favorite pokemon.
>>
>>26536336
>Dodogyuuun
>it's actually spelled dennowheeeeeeyelelelo
>>
>>26532778
I haven't kept up with the anime but I know the characters have different voice actors now. Did all the pokemon get new ones too? For example, does Squirtle sound like he did back in season 1?
>>
Its a marketing tool for kids watching the show to better learn the names of the Pokemon which in turn spurna them on to asking Mommy and Daddy to buy them merchandise. Even in gen 1 with 151 Pokemon there had to be a way of getting kids to remember who was who. In the games its different because the Pokemons name is right there.
>>
>>26532778
Are pokemon named after what they say or were they named first?
>>
>>26536431
Yes, everyone was replaced in the anime, the situation is 90% the same as with the human characters, the current cast imitate the older characters' voices to make it seamless. That said, apparently they do also make use of old voice recordings for some Pokémon, particularly evident with Jigglypuff in Smash.
>>
>>26536563
Maybe Meowth isn't the first Pokémon who can translate, otherwise Onix would be GYOOOOOOAAARRR and Charizard would be HWOOOOFFFGGHHH
>>
>>26536336
He meant in dialogue boxes you retard.
>>
>>26536308
This. It's from the games.
>>
>>26536431
Every Pokemon of the same species having the same voice is just some dub bullshit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.