[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gen 3,5,6 >rival is just your friend fuck this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7
File: 1485398538683.jpg (336 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1485398538683.jpg
336 KB, 1920x1080
>gen 3,5,6
>rival is just your friend

fuck this
>>
Hey atlease gen 3 and 5 rivals were likable RAGE unlike the snorefest that is gen 6 "rivals"
>>
>>26527770
They've always been your friend. Stop being edgy. Friendship is the games main themr
>>
>>26527770
in b/w 2 i wouldnt mind fucking cheren
>>
>>26527770
>I really want to beat you!
>final battle uses 4 pokemon
stop mang
>>
>>26527770
>le asshole rival meem
>>
>>26527770
Lets be honest, Barry was one of the best rivals
>>
>any generation past RBY
>rival goes down like a little bitch before the league instead of being the final boss

Literally what's the point.
>>
Blue was good
Silver was good
Wally was good
Brendon/May were the precursors of friendly rivals
Barry was good
Cheren was annoying as hell but Bianca was okay does N really count as a rival?
Hue was a mix between a rival and the friendly rival
The 3 stooges and Calem/Serena were just awful
>>
>>26527770
Blue was the best rival the only competent one to become a champion.
>>
>>26527865
This desu
>>
>>26527770
Silver was the only non-friend rival. He never said anything to even remotely hint at caring for you.

Blue and Red were clearly friends. Blue is just really assertive and dominate. But, at least he asked how you were doing, and gave you tips and what not
>>
>>26527866
>tfw neo wally gave me more trouble than most of the E4
>>
File: download (1).jpg (8 KB, 185x272) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8 KB, 185x272
>>26527770

Blame Junichi masuda!
>>
>>26527865
Barry felt like a rival without being an asshole or overly friendly, while May/Brendan and the newer rivals felt like friends who'd just tag along with you for a while and then quit once they figure out they suck.
>>
>>26527883
This desu. Off the top of my head

>First battle
Blames himself for losing, not the protagonist

>Second battle
Makes sure to tell you to go check out Bill's house to fill your Pokedex

>Third battle
Makes sure you're having a good time on the boat

>fourth battle
Helps to stop team rocket

>fifth battle
Congratulates you on getting 8 badges

Blue was a good friend
>>
>>26527770
>wanting your rival to be some random faggot who hates your guts for no fucking reason than an actual person

explain this

also your rival has always been your friend except in gen 2, he was just cockier in gen 1
>>
>>26527879
Yes, N certainly counts as a rival. He is your rival not necessarily in Pokemon training, but in ideals of how to treat and live with Pokemon.
>>
>generation one
>your rival is your best friend, but because you have the exact same goal of becoming champion and there's no shitty save the world legendary pokemon plot to distract you from that combined with his own competence and competitiveness he can be your adversary and friend at the same time
>especially since he's the person you battle for the championship, he doesn't get his shit wrecked at seven badges and go on to be your cheerleader
>>
I hope we get a competitive/arrogant rival aside from the friendly one we saw in the SM trailer.
>>
>>26527770
Cheren struck a good balance between the two
>>
Blue is the only rival worth beating. None of them give me any motivation to beat them. Especially fucking Wally, what the fuck were they thinking making your rival a cancer patient?
>>
It never ceases to amaze me how autistic this fanbase is.

Rival is a misnomer. The only actual antagonistic rival was Silver. Blue was your best friend since birth, you guys just have a competitive relationship. It's literally spelled out as one of the first five lines in the series.
>>
>>26527770
You forgot gen 4, that shit stain Barry is the literal worst 'rival'
>>
>>26527815
Silver wasn't
>>
>>26527815
gary and silver aren't too friendly, and barry and hugh are at least haughty and always running off. the ones OP mentioned though are seriously just like, "hey anon! you are my best friend ever! let's battle!"
>>
Barry, Wally, and Cheren were the best rivals of all the games.
>>
>>26527922
yet we just fucking kill his raticate. we are the evil rival all along
>>
>>26528157
brah he's "literal"ly the best after gary.
>>
>>26528157
>Has one of the better character developments
>Worst rival

Okay.
>>
File: 1459616572081.jpg (149 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1459616572081.jpg
149 KB, 803x688
>>26528227
nice youtuber meme
>>
File: v627p1.jpg (362 KB, 1135x1021) Image search: [Google]
v627p1.jpg
362 KB, 1135x1021
Colress > Barry > N > Cheren > Blue > Hugh > Silver > Bianca > Wally > Brendan/May > Calem/Serena > XY idiots
>>
>>26528159
He came around. Friendship is the theme
>>
>>26528244
you know what im referring to, dont you? how are you better? how am i worse? we are on /vp/. pokemon memes and references are going to just, happen, dude. and i'd argue this one didnt even start on youtube. it's like the whole cubone kangaskhan thing, or the radio tower creepypasta. it's just part of the bigger pokemon lore and fan speculation/fan theories. just because youtubers talk about these theories doesn't mean they are the source creator of them. if you understood what was being referred to, then you acknowledge that its either common speculation, or that, in your own logic, that you watch a bunch of shitty youtube. shooting yourself in the foot, frogposter.
>>
>>26528252
Why would you ever rate RSE opposite gender over XY opposite gender
>>
I want to fuck Shauna.
>>
>>26528244
no fun allowed. no jokes allowed. being unserious: taboo
could a youtuber meme not be referred to in jest?
>>
>>26528252
why and how the fuck are you quantifying some of these characters as rivals? just because they are against you is not at all the criteria. a pokemon game rival has clear perameters and guidelines. it's game mechanics. cheren, hugh: = rival, how the fuck does N and colress qualify though? they are both characters with separate, bigger roles than the ones you are demoting them to. in game mechanics, this is indistinguishable from being 100% dead wrong. this is not your opinion. opinions can only be objective. and a hard coded game is not that. go be autistic somewhere fucking else, unovabort.
>>
>>26527770
I want to fuck cheren so bad
>>
>>26528290
They're both shit, its irrelevant who goes first.
>>
>>26527770
Some people hate Blue and Silver because they are too 'rude' and 'edgy'. Go figure.
>>
>Get stuck on a rival battle
>Rival keeps up the "we're best friends! :) I'll road block you until you beat me btw"
Fuuuck you, "friends" are the worst. I fucking hate them. I don't want to travel with them and have them constantly get in my way while acting so happy, leave me alone. At least Silver and Gary acted like douches.
>>
>>26528356
I never saw Colress as a rival, but N always felt more like a rival to me than a boss.
>>
>>26528419
They're both shit but Serena/Calem are like objectively less shit. They're the same thing but play a role in the story. Only reason you'd put them after is if you just really hated XY and hated everything associated with it arbitrarily. You wouldn't do that right?
>>
>>26528450
I kind of hated them because of that, though. They were just a nuisance and I don't want them following me around.
>>
>>26528474
Literally all the rivals follow you around. They have pretty much the same attitude as May/Brendan. You weren't able to rebattle them even in Emerald iirc, you just see them at Liliycove and they disappear. Maybe it's different in ORAS.
>>
>>26528356
Colress sure but how is N not a rival?

>fought multiple times
>usually a step ahead of you
>defeats the e4 and champ before you
>you literally fight the "champion" in the end finale.
>>
>>26528290
>>26528450
XY had worse writing then RSE

The rivals are characterized by writing

Also there is literally no point in RSE where you walk through a dungeon that's copied/pasted from RBY with your rivals while they constantly explain things to you
>>
>>26527865
This, I want a rival for gen 7 with a glaring character trait. They can be my friend or my enemy, but there has to be something about them that seperates them from the slew of shitty gen 3-6 rivals. And no, it can't be Bianca's "oops, I'm so clumsy lol xD"
>>
>>26528494
Calem/Serena and Shauna literally chase after you when you're going through Flare's base.
>>
>>26528504
You are seriously deluding yourself if you think RSE opposite gender were "better written" than XY's. That's like next-level bias.
>>
>>26527879
Wally isn't really a rival, you fight him twice.
>>
>>26528521
What if the rival had Downs syndrome?
>>
>>26528528
Barry practically though not "literally" does the same thing in Platinum
>>
What if the 2nd rival in SM is a jerk but also romantically interested in you?
>>
>>26528533
Did Serena even have personality? I at least remember May being peppy and upbeat. I can't for the life of me recall any actual personality traits Serena had.
>>
>>26528571
Tsundere?
>>
>>26528550
Yeah but that was at the start of the game when you're just leaving your town, also you and Barry are very equal at the time while Calem/Serena and Shauna are just hanging around your ass.
>>
>>26528572
Characters fucking default to "upbeat", especially friendly ones.
>>
>>26528572
Serena was a really pathetic defeatist towards the end of the game. You can see your wins/her losses break her down over the course of the game actually.
>>
>>26528578
Yeah. There's some speculation going on that a blonde girl in a white dress and a sun hat it's going to be your second rival.
>>
File: BAKA.gif (200 KB, 290x270) Image search: [Google]
BAKA.gif
200 KB, 290x270
>>26528571
>>
>>26528597
This is seriously nitpicking. You don't like them because theres literally a model of a character following you around as though that somehow inherently detracts from the experience? Every character is significantly weaker than you in every game by like the first gym. That wasn't the incidence I was referring to anyway, I meant the Mt. Coronet climax where he had been following you up but not literally there the whole time.
>>
>>26528572
Depressed and miserable
>>
>>26527770
>Only rival who isn't your friend is Silver
>He's about as good as the others
Rivals don't get much better than Blue, Silver, and Barry. Silver is just the odd one out.
>>
>>26528630
I guess Barry felt way more equal and a "friend" to you than the XY gang did? Like you weren't leading him the way but you were going together. In XY it feels like you were babysitting them.
>>
File: futoquestion.jpg (146 KB, 945x945) Image search: [Google]
futoquestion.jpg
146 KB, 945x945
Gen VI had rivals?
>>
File: 1464394963072.png (113 KB, 518x800) Image search: [Google]
1464394963072.png
113 KB, 518x800
What if the rival in Sun and Moon was a really dominant bitchy girl who was rich and hot?

You can dick her if you want but you have to stick with her and would you really want that?
>>
>>26528572
>Starts off as a peppy kowitall that thinks she has to be careful around all these other newbies
>You beat here but it's not a huge setback
>You beat her again fucking her out of the key stone, spirals into self doubt
>Villain picks on her failure to succeed
You were the bad guy the whole time.
>>
>>26528497
He's as much of a rival as the Team leaders and Admins. A majority of his fights were followed or came after a ton of Plasma grunts, too.
>>
>>26528660
But if your issue is your actual strength you are always actually stronger than everyone else. In all the games you're actually a prodigy trainer. Besides that you will pretty always be stronger, either literally by level or your magic ability to type match and switch and use items and such.
>>
>>26528702
>tfw some kid who just picked up some random Pokemon 3 hours ago is stronger than the elite of the world

Life sucks for adults in Pokemon.
>>
>>26528673
Sure, why not?

At least would be something innovative within the franchise.
>>
>>26528702
Unless you grind like an absolute motherfucker, Barry will always be just a little bit behind you.
>>
To be fair, the RBY rival wasn't nearly as antagonistic as people tend to remember him. I think a lot of people tend to mentally merge him with Gary Oak from the anime.
>>
>>26528718
Next games story should be about trying to kill all the young trainers so adults can rule the world. Like a reverse achildren of the Corn. Spill the blood of the young
>>
>>26528764
He does act as a douche in the games though.
>>
Oh! I picked the wrong POKeMON!
>>
>>26528764
I replayed Blue on VC recently. He's not as bad as people remember him for. Every time you run into him he basically taunts you and then acts like your friend and gives you tips afterwards. The ending where Prof. Oak literally pulls down his pants and takes a shit in Blue's mouth was unnecessary.
>>
"Smell ya later" wasn't even cool to say back in the 90s
>>
>>26528805
He was the asshole friend. You know you have one.

Never stops the roast
>>
>>26528874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRMg1J5yk8
>>
>blue
Is just kinda cocky, like>>26527922 said, he was still a friend and cared about you kinda. Aware of his limitations, keeps pushing till the end, cares about his pokemon, you can watch as he becomes more knowledgeable. I'd say he's the definition of "rival" 8/10
>silver
Obnoxious, delusional, "ugh you're so weak with your weak pokemon and your weak team and your weakness I hate weak pokemon" *gets his shit wrecked*, drama queen with daddy issues, never changes, 2/10 shit rival, he's just as asshole
>may brendan
I wouldn't call them a "rival". They're focused on the pokedex, not so much beating gyms, though they do battle some of them. They're more just your girlfriend/boyfriend who care about you and want to help you out. There's no real "competition" I feel. They're better in oras than rse cute/10
>wally
Good. You also see him grow and become stronger. Really good ending team imo and strong enough to do mega evolution. Again, better and more involved with oras. 7/10
>Barry
A+, perfect definition of rival. Has the goal of actually becoming strong and beating you (does he ever mention the league?) Helps you out with galactic, continues to improve post game, MAJOR character development, he realizes his flaws and works on them and changes drastically from beginning to end. He was at one point the strongest rival canonically. Dunno if he still is. 10/10 would rival again
>bianca/cheren
They tried to put personality into them but it kinda backfired. They weren't very good but their character improved in bw2 5/10
>N
I thought he was a great rival, not necessarily like blue but very opposing to you and pushed you a lot. wasn't the best fighter but in terms of character I'd say he was really great and it was cool to see him change as well 8/10
>tierno/Trevor
Shit/10
>shauna
A little better/10
>calem/Serena
Wasted potential/10
>>
>>26528896
Thats all my friends and me
>>
>>26529040
Forgot hugh and barry really doesnt change much
>>
>>26527798
>Liking Cheren's cringeworthy dialogue in B/W
>Liking Bianca

Cheren's not so bad in 2, but he was edgy in the originals, although N was the better rival out of them all in BW.

Barry is the friendly rival perfected. He had a goal, character arc in Platinum with his dad, and wasn't just suprisingly buff at the end. I like Blue as well but his final team was much to be desired, having shitty moves even in the remakes.

>>26527866
Wally's incarnation in ORAS was much better than his original in RSE, as you can see his achivements in the bottom screen if you ever looked at the recent news.

>>26529040
You forgot Hugh, whom is probably the most forgettable rival in the entire series
>>
>>26529082
How was cheren edgy? What the fuck is wrong with you, faggot? He literally rushes off to save a little girls pokemon and never has any edgy dialouge

Kill yourself
>>
Barry and Silver are probably my favorites.
>>
>>26529082
The really forced the difference between Cheren and Bianca way too hard. I'm sorry but I don't find the cutesy ditz airhead a cute archetype and to coutneract that they had Cheren as the careful, calculating know-it-all type and ended up the opposite extreme and therefore equally annoying to me. Tierno and friends were so bland and vague but at least they weren't extreme stereotypes, just nothing. Though I found Tierno's dancing fetish (And dancing team) to be kind of entertaining if ridiculous.
>>
>>26527922
You're absolutely fucking delusional. Blue tells you he doesn't want your help to complete the dex ("I don't need you!"), tells his sister not to lend you a map and laughs about it, and then spends the game being cocky.

He tells you about Bill because he is bragging that he saw his collection.

>he makes sure you're having a good time on the cruise
Jesus Christ how far are you going to reach? He brags about how many pokemon he has and battles you. All he says is before is that he was surprised you'd get an invite.

>helps to stop team rocket
No, he doesn't give a shit.

>congratulates you for 8 badges
Again, no he does not. Do you honestly detect genuine care or sincerity in blue's script in the examples listed or are you pretending? I do actually think blue likes red, but he is jealous of him and most of the game he is condescending to hide that.

And then he whines when you become champ. Does he congratulate you for your success? Well anon?

I like blue and thought he was a good character and rival, but to stretch the meaning of his words as much as you did makes you look naiive and makes blue look worse.
>>
>>26529121
This post is as edgy as Hugh/Cheren

"If it isn't the Champion, Alder. I’m weak, so I lost! ...And, honestly, it bothers me when you call it a fine battle despite that"
"If I get strong and become a Champion, that will be the reason for my existence. I want to prove that I'm really living."

"What I do with my power... I don’t know that answer yet. First, I want to become a strong Trainer so everyone will acknowledge that power! <Player>... Next time, I will win!"
>>
>>26529040
>silver never changes
>he never heard silver questioning himself about how he treats his pokemon relative to the player
>he never saw that silvers golbat evolvs afterward, implying that silver indeed changed for the better and got over his edgy persona

Either you never played the entire game or you're just retarded
>>
>>26529218
Got the writing is horrible. What the message is is fine but got the way it's written/translated is just, wow it's bad.
>>
>>26529217
Yeah dude, friends irl normally are assholes to each other like that.
>>
>>26529218
How is that edgy?... Hes just mad at himself for losing. Stop being a le ebino memer
>>
>>26529217
Also he literally lost the title of best in the world a few minutes after getting it, then his grandpa comes and shoves it down his throat. Of course he would whine you autist. Its this thing called human emotion
>>
>>26529546
There's a difference between being mad at oneself for losing and then saying that one's own existence is pointless unless they are strong and become champion.

>First, I want to become a strong Trainer so everyone will acknowledge that power!

Cheren has amongst the worst dialogue in the entire series, and that's saying something, as Pokemon isn't known for its thrilling dialogue/story.
>>
>>26529522
I feel like you're imagining some made up dialogue between Red and Blue instead of just reading what it says on the screen
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.