[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EXP Scaling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: 1459822895621.gif (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459822895621.gif
12 KB, 500x500
Why is Gen V's EXP Scaling such an underrated and overlooked feature?

>ensures your pokemon are never overleveled
>makes it easy for freshly caught, underleveled pokemon to catch up to your team
>encourages to build a team instead of wrecking everything with 1 or 2 overleveled pokemon
>>
>>26520563
what do you mean?
>>
>>26520579
It's something that's very rarely brought up when people discuss what features they want in future games.
>>
I used Blastoise and Machamp through pokemon Blue and beat the game and 4 underleveled mons
>>
>>26520603
what level scaling are you talking about?
>>
>>26520603
How is it any different from the other gens?
>>
>>26520611
In Gen V when your pokemon is higher leveled than a pokemon you defeat, you gain less exp. And if your pokemon is lower leveled than the pokemon you defeated, you gain more exp. In previous gens and in Gen VI, every pokemon has a set exp that they give no matter what level pokemon you defeat them with.

>>26520612
What do you mean?
>>
>>26520611
>>26520612
iirc, in Black and White defeating a pokemon of a lower level than your own gives less exp. than if you were using a pokemon of the same or a lower level, and vice versa.
>>
>>26520644
how so?
>>
>>26520563
I don't think you know what ensures means.
>>
File: 1459832319990.jpg (16 KB, 240x280) Image search: [Google]
1459832319990.jpg
16 KB, 240x280
>>26520658
Ok, it makes it harder for your pokemon to get overleveled. My bad.
>>
>>26520657
>Level 2 pokemon defeats level 5 pokemon
>gets 20 EXP
>Level 10 pokemon defeats level 5 pokemon
>gets 5 EXP

I can't really make it any simpler.
>>
>>26520698
It's just that I am pretty sure I went through the entire game with overleveled pokemons, so I didn't really understood what you meant at the beginning, mostly due to Audinos.
>>
>>26520763
I felt the level curve was the best in the series thanks to the EXP Scaling. Probably because I barely touched the Audinos.
>>
>>26520563
>never overleveled
>you had to be overleveled to start seeing a decent decrease in EXP
It is not underrated, it barely changed how the players play the game. And it was overlooked because >>26520763
>>
Because for those shit at the game, it's more a hindrance than a help.
>>
This would just make training Pokemon even harder for competitive especially if Secret Bases are gone. no thanks
>>
It was a fucking chore power-leveling mons to a high enough level, blissey basses are a godsend.
>>
>>26520917
Audino grinding was something you had to actively participate in and have the intention to overlevel your pokemon. Unlike Gen VI's exp share where all it takes is a flick of a switch to get overleveled. You're also ignoring the other pro of easily getting newly caught pokemon up to your party's level.

>>26520937
How exactly was it a hindrance?

>>26520964
>>26520996
Oh, I don't play competitive so I didn't think about that. How would you feel about it if it was a key item you could turn on/off?
>>
>>26521029
>I don't know anything but here's my opinion anyway.
Fucking underage brats.
>>
>>26521029
Because if you're shit even if you're at equal level you'll still get whooped,

I think it'd be nice to roll into Gen VI's EXP Share though. I think the best way to go about it is give it a ton of options, like selectively choosing which Pokemon in your party EXP is distributed to or not and even letting you make it so no Pokemon get EXP, letting you turn on or off scaling EXP like Gen V, or adjust straight up EXP rates.
>>
>>26521067
>Because if you're shit even if you're at equal level you'll still get whooped, and overleveling to be able to overcome it would be a pain in the ass especially if you don't know about Audino grinding. Think of the casual children, anon.
>>
File: 1452815389801.png (66 KB, 500x429) Image search: [Google]
1452815389801.png
66 KB, 500x429
>>26521050
The fuck are you on about? Just because I don't play competitive, I'm underage and shouldn't have an opinion?
>>
>>26520563
It was too bad that this feature had to be paired with a gen with absurd level requirements for evolution (generally speaking). At least, higher that average compared to other gens.
>>
>>26521067
>I think it'd be nice to roll into Gen VI's EXP Share though. I think the best way to go about it is give it a ton of options, like selectively choosing which Pokemon in your party EXP is distributed to or not and even letting you make it so no Pokemon get EXP, letting you turn on or off scaling EXP like Gen V, or adjust straight up EXP rates.

That actually sounds like a great idea anon. I like being able to control where the EXP goes, Gen VI unfortunately took a lot of that control away.
>>
>>26520563
Is it really necessary? It's not that hard to level them up equally without it
>>
>>26521121
I wouldn't say necessary but it is a great addition, and with some tweaking it could be even better.
>>
>>26520563
Because it was generally irrelevant. Gen V had very weak gym leaders, extremely easy elite 4 and the weakest champions in the franchise. All the vaunted EXP scaling really did was make levelling Pokemon up in the postgame more frustrating.
>>
>>26521193
>weakest champions in the franchise

That's not RS Steven and Diantha.
>>
>>26521193
I think Gen 1 and FRLG had the easiest champions, but I agree about the gym leaders and elite 4 being way too easy.
>>
File: image.png (492 KB, 929x509) Image search: [Google]
image.png
492 KB, 929x509
>>26520563
>found my copy of Black 2
>forgot I was doing a Nuzlocke
>at Opelucid City, about to challenge the gym
>my Pokemon are too underleveled for the gym, but too overleveled to effectively grind
The Gen V EXP system is a blessing and a curse
>>
>>26521081
>Just because I don't know what I'm talking about I shouldn't have an opinion?
Exactly.
>>
I'm currently playing BW2 and all my pokemon are slightly underleveled (just beat Elesa, my highest level mon is 28, hers is 30.)
I'm fighting every trainer but I avoid fighting most wild pokemon, I'm also using set instead of switch.
>>
File: 1459993541068.jpg (158 KB, 1265x1128) Image search: [Google]
1459993541068.jpg
158 KB, 1265x1128
>>26521315
>he thinks the only reason to play pokemon is for competitive
>he thinks everyone who doesn't play competitive is underage

Oh boy, that says a lot about you.
>>
>>26521392
Pretty much had the same experience. It's the people that grind on shit like Audino that screw up their level curve.
>>
>>26520563
While hard, the level scaling is not as hard as Gen III
>>
>>26520603
that because it's a permanent addition, ti wasn't just gen5 exclusive.
>>
This entire thread is a mess.
>>
>>26520563
if GF would take some classes in game design, it wouldn't be necessary.

Seriously, do you know just how many basic rules they break on a daily basis? Their games are a mess.
>>
>>26520563
>I'm 7 and cant level my pokemon normally
>>
>>26522468
>he's taken classes in game design
Clearly they're doing something right, else Pokemon wouldn't be one of the most successful game franchises ever
>>
>>26522482
that's their phenomenal marketing team and the fact they did the idea first.
kind of like DnD. Horribly constructed, sometimes to the point of counterproductiveness, but it came first, got huge name recognition, and its marketed better than any of the competition, mostly just from having so much larger a budget because of previous successes, so it still corners the market.

They even do some of the same sacred cow stupidities, like never fixing the nido-line post gender split.

I wonder if there will ever be a Paizo equivalent?
>>
it was better than gen 6's shitty exp system.
>>
>>26522638
Like, seriously, they had to create an anime series to indoctrinate their youngest playerbase just so they could handle all the arbitrary complexities the game throws at you with no explanations.
And when it does explain things, it does so not through gameplay or necessary inference, but by making the player stop everything they're doing, and listen to an idiot blather out a block of text for several minutes. Same for exposition conveyance.

(the merchandising team has since been ecstatic that they made the anime move, considering its pulled in more fanbase than the games ever would have on their own, but nonetheless, should not have been necessary, just a nice cherry on top)

Like, compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMggqenxuZc

With what you have to word slog through just to get to the first gym every game?
>>
It sucks dick for post game. That's why they changed it back for gen 6.
>>
File: typical system request thread.png (491 KB, 403x538) Image search: [Google]
typical system request thread.png
491 KB, 403x538
>>26522638
Aaayyyy, a fa/tg/uy! There are precious few round these parts. I'm assuming you're a fa/tg/uy at least since you have such disdain for D&D. Not that anyone shouldn't have at least some.
>>
>>26521227
Diantha has the highest levels of all the champions though.
>>
>>26522638
>they did the idea first.
My favourite meme.
You mean they did it in America first.
>>
>>26522767
I am indeed.
In fact, I was one of the main proponents for when we went to the ball together a few years ago. That shoddy gardevoir/gallade dancing edit was me.

And yeah. I'm not a rabid hater of it, but I certainly recognize it has quite a few unanswered flaws. Though they have at least been trying the last two editions to fix some of them, though. It just hasn't been working out all that well.
>>
>>26522780
name another party-based rpg (i.e. jrpg) where you recruit your entire party from the monsters you fight, that predates pokemon.
>>
>>26522810
er, wait, no Shin Megami Tensei did predate it. so there is that I guess.
Very different aesthetic and target audience though.
>>
>>26522839
it also doesn't have trading, which was and still is one of pokemon's biggest draws and salespoints.
The cooperative social aspect.
>>
>>26522481
>I like to tediously grind and need to play with overleveled pokemon or I'm not having fun
>>
>>26522879
>I have fun in the main game

>>26522638
>Paizo equivalent
the only reason Pathfinder ever took root is that DnD went too far from its roots in 4E. I'm pretty sure Game Freak is smart and/or lazy enough not to change up the Pokemon formula that much.
>>
>>26522903
Go back to your battle simulator.
>>
>>26522903
really? cause ORAS and its beating you over the head handholding is certainly a far cry from its previous exploration-based gameplay.

May shows up and heals you 20 steps from a free-heal house that's not even blocked by trainers, man. It's not only annoying to keep being stopped to hear a bunch of unnecessary motivational speeches and basic compotency congratulations, its also insulting to the player, and lends itself towards boring map design, i.e. if they assume players are to stupid to explore, they stop creating things to explore.
>>
>>26522963
The battle system is still intact and mostly unchanged aside from additions made to it. DnD went from being a weird RPG/wargame thing with many abilities balanced for roleplaying or realism purposes to specifically calling out per-encounter powers. It was a huge leap compared to Pokemon mostly just adding more stuff.
>>
>>26521121
Yes, it's smart design.
>>
>>26521227
RS Steven is still difficult due to his tanky mons and shitty level scaling at the endgame.
>>
>>26521193

>levelling up more frustrating
>One Audino could literally get you to level 70

okay.jpg
>>
>>26520563

I agree and think it should be taken to an even further extent. Rather than grind to beat a gym leader, encourage someone to find and use new Pokemon which match up favourably against them.
>>
>>26521403
>he doesn't think about the bare minimum before forming an opinion
This is why you are underage, not because you don't play competitive. And the fact that I need to explain that to you is also proof that you are underage.
>>
>>26521193
Really? In B2 it only took very little time to level up my mon to lvl 100 in the building in black city (i think, it's been a while). I was getting 10 000xp at battles so it's never been faster than there.
>>
>>26522774
Levels don't make up for a shit team. 66.66% of her team get's swept by Ice. God help you if it's a Starmie using Ice Beam. Diantha is a joke.
>>
>>26520563
>overlooked feature
because it barely matters outside of leveling up some shit far below your level
literally bullshit
>encourages to build a team instead of wrecking everything with 1 or 2 overleveled pokemon
bullshit yet again, the only reason why actually having a team in gen 5 is better is because starter and pretty much all earlier mons are garbage and are better replaced with something else ASAP. The game is still piss easy, you can still beat everything with starter only and the only place requiring grinding is the postgame where GF got lazy and just made every single mon in those areas 20 levels up the e4 levels
>>
>>26520644
>>26520643
Can't belive they removed this.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.