[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Pokémon that had great potential concepts behind them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: 509Purrloin[1].png (649 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
509Purrloin[1].png
649 KB, 1280x1280
ITT: Pokémon that had great potential concepts behind them, but weren't executed all that well.
>>
Don't you dare talk shit about best cat you cunt.
>>
I'm normally not bothered when they make a pokémon basically the animal it's inspired off of, like Pyroar, but it bugs me with Mantine. We could've had a cool ghost manta or a stingray.
>>
What was the "concept" to purrloin, other than being a cat?
>>
File: 600px-571Zoroark.png (170 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-571Zoroark.png
170 KB, 600x600
>>
Gourgeist.
I wanted a Jack O'Lantern Pokemon for ages but when they finally make one it is ugly and also absolute shit
>>
> Pyroar

Pyroar's HA is Moxie. Pyroar has base 35 attack.

Also castform was a decent concept, but wasn't viable in battle
>>
>>26516639
I hate how this thing's XY model has it standing up, it looks retarded
>>
>>26516723
It's a Dark type black cat. Which is a really cool idea.
In Japan black cats are lucky, but they went with the cooler unlucky superstitions held by the u.s., possibly because it was native to Unova.

They're supposed to be associated with witches, but Purrloin sucks. Its design isn't all that great and it evolves into something distinctly un-witchlike. All the dex says is that it steals things. So what? It's not that interesting.

The concept could've taken a better direction.
>>
File: yattermon.jpg (64 KB, 666x468) Image search: [Google]
yattermon.jpg
64 KB, 666x468
>>26516723
It's supposed to be Doronjo as a cat.
>>
>>26516854
Personally I dont think "black cat" like Halloween black cats is what they were going for with Purrloin. Litten feels more like that archetype, down to having the arched back and furr standing on end animation, and being kind of lankily quadrupedal in comparison to weirdly every other kitten Pokemon. And actually being (mostly) literally black.
>>26516941
I actually knew this but I'd forgotten over time. Doronjo makes my dick diamonds.
>>
File: 1463408347476.png (360 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1463408347476.png
360 KB, 1024x576
Pic related.
What I wonder is why they decided to do something completely different for Dragonite.
>Arms from nowhere
>Totally different color scheme
>Cool head wings disappear
>It doesn't evolve to a limbed serpent-dragon
>>
>>26516986
Some time ago i saw someone that claimed the Dragonite family was an imoogi
A sort of half-dragon that lives in caves deep undersea, and only becomes a real dragon if it can catch some sort of magic ball that falls from the sky only every 100 years
hence, why it's found in water, why it has those orbs on its tail and neck and why it turns to look more like your typical dragon
>>
File: Prototype_Dragonair.png (18 KB, 105x95) Image search: [Google]
Prototype_Dragonair.png
18 KB, 105x95
>>26516986
Because they are salamanders.
What I wonder is why they ruined the line by designing Dragonite to evolve from this, and then redesign Dragonair into something completely different.
>>
File: dragonairfags.png (409 KB, 716x991) Image search: [Google]
dragonairfags.png
409 KB, 716x991
>>26516986
>Dragonairfags
>>
Every Mega.
>>
>>26516731
if it didnt have the ketchup stain on its lip then i would've loved it. i mean i already love it but i would love it more.
>>
>>26516723
That's it. Executionfags are deluded idiots who look too deep into everything.
>>
File: notbugpsychic.png (66 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
notbugpsychic.png
66 KB, 250x250
>>
>>26516723
I always thought Purrloin carried Persian's "cat thief" theme to its logical conclusion.
>>
File: notwaterpsychic.png (48 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
notwaterpsychic.png
48 KB, 250x250
>>
>>26517154
I'm more perplexed as to why the yellow duck isn't Golduck, and why the one with the red mystic dot wasn't a Water/Psychic Psyduck.
>>
>>26517140
>not bug/psychic
Why should it be?
Just because it learns confusion?
>>
>>26517166

And Psybeam. And you can teach it Psychic.

I know in R/B, I used to catch one if Viridian forest to help me with Brock if I was rolling with a Charmander.

It sure as hell shouldn't be Bug/Flying. Dumb typing.
>>
>>26517216
It's a flying bug. No reason it shouldn't be Bug/Flying. I don't know why it learns psychic moves by level up but its not really flavor-wise related to psychic powers or anything. It's like saying Typhlosion should be part Electric because it learns Thunderpunch.
>>
>>26517216
>It sure as hell shouldn't be Bug/Flying
It's a butterfly, that's exactly what it should be.
>>
>>26517130
To be expected from people who base their arguments on headcanon.
>>
>>26516796
>i hate how everything in existence but BW and BW2 has it standing up
ftfy
>>
>>26517101
Yeah except Dragonite is actually shit
>>
>>26516723
I thought it and its evo's tails were supposed to be lockpicks.
>>
>>26517101
Even salamanders don't go through as many changes between their aquatic and terrestrial phases. There's also plenty of semi-aquatic and fully aquatic newts.
>>26517059
It's not, Dragonair and Dragonite are both pretty generic. Asian dragons are commonly depicted with grasping jewels or jewels under their chin and are associated with water. And yet there's no mention in the Pokedex or even spinoffs about traits unique to the imugi.
>>
>>26517154
Stop posting this picture of me
>>
>>26517318
Not an argument
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.