[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RBY had the best main game quest and the games took a massive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1460416829932.jpg (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1460416829932.jpg
69 KB, 600x600
RBY had the best main game quest and the games took a massive negative deviation from the spirit of the franchise starting in gen III.

A gen I remake with gen VI onwards mechanics, models, and post game would be the best possible pokemon game.
>>
>>26514208
Nice troll post
>>
File: 1463595246136.jpg (31 KB, 587x720) Image search: [Google]
1463595246136.jpg
31 KB, 587x720
>>26514208
>>
Kanto is probably the best region from a gameplay standpoint, no annoyances from an abundance of HM's, can choose to sequence break if you wish, and a healthy level curve, but when it comes to it as a setting, it's boring as hell.

The atmosphere of the series definitely changed starting with RS, but it's not really objectively worse.
>>
>>26514416
The region itself is garbage, nothing really stands out or is intriguing. But yeah, the open world concept in Kanto games are what make it stand out. It wouldn't be a terrible thing for that same concept to be brought back in SM.

HMs should not be this big of a problem, just make them all into items. Not sure why Gamefreak keeps them around when no one likes HMs.
>>
>>26514447
I like their use in the overworld, and can tolerate them as most HM's have their uses in battle except for Cut, but I do wish they'd do something like make them just key items, or have it so all you need is a Pokemon capable of learning the HM and the HM in your inventory to use it, or maybe a dedicated "Adventure Move" slot or two solely for use in the overworld. That would solve the whole issue of people trading away or releasing a Pokemon and getting stuck.
>>
>>26514447
I remember being 6 playing Blue when it had just come out, and it was intriguing as shit. Especially Pokemon Tower, Safari Zone, unknown dungeon, etc.
>>
Maybe the reason you guys don't like the new gens as well is because you have everything spoiled for you before the games come out by looking at leaks.
>>
>>26514500
I plan on nuzlocking the thing blind, at least.
Sure, I'll know some Pokémon, but I won't know every detail.
Feel bad for people that can't find enjoyment in every game in the series.
>>
File: 1462976714498.jpg (35 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1462976714498.jpg
35 KB, 500x373
>>26514208
>Negative
>Since gen 3
Wew, people actually believe this kind of crap? Even worse, people want ANOTHER gen 1 remake?! Nice nostalgia glasses bro. They're pretty thick.
>>
>>26514517
Sun/Moon I mean.

>>26514489
The Cinnabar Mansion, Power Plant and Seafoam Islands were fun, too. Kanto was fine, despite the contrarianism that runs deep here.
>>
>>26514479
Rock Smash wasn't an HM in XY but you could still use it in the overworld. You can still give them out after gym battles and shit, but just make them TMs. That way you can delete them at any time but still have the functionality of the move.

Wasn't the point of HMs way back so that you could use them unlimited times? Post Gen 5, that part of it is irrelevant. Having a Pokemon capable of learning the HM and the HM in your inventory would be just as good too.
>>
>>26514527
They aren't going to remake Gen 1, if they were the 20th anniversary would've been the best opportunity. But we're getting SM instead, so they put RBY on Virtual Console.
>>
>gen I
>quest to become the champion
>enemy team are thugs you eventually stop
>final battle and climax is a fight with your recurring rival at the league

>gen III onwards
>quest to become a pokemon champion that quickly gets sidetracked
>evil team is a bunch of crazies who want godlike legendary pokemon for X reason
>climax of the game occurs only 3/4s through it, encountering the legendary pokemon after fighting the evil team leader
>eighth gym and league are an afterthought
>final boss is some NPC you've never fought once until now and may have encountered only 3-4 times
>>
>>26514554
>climax of the game occurs only 3/4s through it, encountering the legendary pokemon after fighting the evil team leader
>eighth gym and league are an afterthought
BW is different from that, but I can agree with most of these points.
>>
>>26514447
Ok, I know it's b8, but I'm confused, all the games have an open world concept that keeps getting closer and closer to perfect, not just Kanto, and Kanto was a supreme clusterfuck, not as bad as Sinnoh, but definitely less enjoyable than Sinnoh, and HM's will always be HM's. It's not about what your Pokémon can do naturally, it's about the bond. Surf is you standing on it's back, but you need the badge for your Pokémon to trust you enough to actually pull it off. HM's are annoying as hell, but the concept behind them is what will make them stay.
>>
>>26514489
>Unknown Dungeon
You been playing XY. In RBY it was Cerulean Cave.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 1301x653) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 1301x653
>>26514607
>all the games have an open world concept that keeps getting closer and closer to perfect
I seriously hope you are joking.
>>
>>26514548
Thank god!!!!!!!!
>>
>>26514500
White 2 is my favorite game and I enjoyed XY and ORAS just fine, I'm just trying to be objective with this. I like Unova 2 and Johto the most even though the latter is the worst region from a gameplay standpoint.

>>26514535
They have a check to make sure you don't release the last Pokemon you have with an HM known or trade it away so that you can't get yourself stuck in any way. Considering now also you can trade anywhere, it's needed more than ever.

>>26514554
It's more that you've got two concurrent stories running. One a save the day plot, one a be the very best plot. Kanto and Unova 1 merge them into the main story near the end, with Giovanni as the last Gym Leader and Plasma hijacking the league. Then you have Johto where the save the day plot is barely there, and it's only the other three regions where it's got more presence, though Kalos also wraps up the last loose end to the save the day plot with AZ at the very end of the game.

I like that it's barely there in Johto, though.

>>26514607
Kanto and Johto are the only ones to really let you sequence break regularly, but Johto's was premediated and led to the awful level curve. Sinnoh has a ton of roadblocks to make sure you do what they want you to, and Unova and Kalos are designed to be linear. Hoenn lets you skip the sixth gym for a while, but that's it.
>>
>>26514633
Oh look, lines. I'm not joking, they all had an open world concept, Kanto just wasn't as good at it as Unova, or Hoenn.
>>
>>26514640
And the 2nd. Brawley is skippable.
>>
>>26514653
>an open world concept
None of the games are open world. They all follow a very rigid and linear series of events.
>>
>>26514653
Hoenn, sure, but Unova and Kalos definitely weren't better in that department.
>>
>>26514661
I forgot about that, so actually you can skip the second and sixth gym for a while, the second until Norman, and the sixth until the League. You can't skip the second gym at all in ORAS, but I think you can still skip the sixth.
>>
>>26514500
D00bs speaks the truth.
>>
>>26514500
I've thought about that too but I really don't think so. Gold came out when I was about 9 or 10, and I remember watching my japanese friend play jap silver on recess and feeling extremely excited. I also remember looking at the new GS pokemon online

I didn't really think of that stuff as "spoilers," back then though, I was just really excited to look at the new pokemon and games
>>
>>26514527
R/S severed a lot of pokemon fans from the franchise for reasons you can probably figure out easily enough

>inb4 "they were just genwunning bandwagoners anyways and would have left regardless"

That may be true for some percentage of fans up to that point, but I personally remember being a genuine poke fan as a kid, and feeling let down by R/S. It felt like a fanmade game
>>
>RBY had the best-

Thread hidden
>>
>>26515095
Gen III came out when the Pokémon fad was at its lowest.

It didn't help that the games were subpar, the Pokémon designs were shit and Game Boy Advance wasn't as established as Game Boy/GBC.

But it was not only the games: the TCG also went to shit (power creep, they didn't knkw what to do, they introduced delta Pokémon in a desperate attempt), the anime began to feel even more repetitive and even the manga dropped in quality.

Gen III was the point were most people dropped Pokémon. The remakes (Fire Red and Leaf Green) and Emerald saved what could be a catastrophe.

Then the success of the Nintendo DS and Diamond and Pearl returned the franchise to its former glory.
>>
>>26514607
So let items allow your pokemon to manipulate the overworld without requiring you to shit up their movesets.
>>
>>26515162
It didn't help that R/S had no postgame, or day/night. These were some of the most memorable and well loved additions to GSC, and having them removed was uncalled for. I will feel similar disappointment if customization does not make a return in S/M -- it's almost everyone loves and wants (especially with online play, because you want your character to stand out among the crowd and not be copypaste), but GF is so stubborn about making gens feel unique that they're probably going to piss off a lot of people in S/M. At best I think customization will be "do you want your character to wear the red, blue or black shirt?"

Anyways, emerald was the first game I never bought in the series due to my experiences in R/S.
>>
>>26514640
>Johto's was premediated and led to the awful level curve
I'd much rather have an awful level curve than have to deal with the retarded pacing of the "intended" path.
The Johto games are a hundred times better when you battle Pryce before Chuck and Jasmine.
>>
>>26515245
>I will feel similar disappointment if customization does not make a return in S/M
Customization has already been confirmed, dumbass.
>>
>>26514208
No.
>>
>>26515479
I've watched the trailers, and like I saidm I've only seen different colour changes in the same clothes. I'm not holding my breath. Have you seen examples of flat-out outfit changes?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.